GB Energy Supply reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SamMy wrote: »
    Very worried about this company. We switched on the 4th Feb and our first direct debit was taken, but we were then told our gas would not be changed over until the 23rd Feb, we were reassured our account would be debited as we had not had gas for this period. After checking this with them yesterday they now say we will get a final bill from our old supplier which we had expected, but did not expect to be charged by them too. They have not replied to my last email, I added a post to facebook but it instantly vanished. I have contacted them on twitter where their account only has 20 tweets, all complaints in the last few days, where have all their other messages gone? Seriously worried that we have changed to this company.

Let me reassure you that you will not be billed for the same energy twice: you will only pay for the energy that you use. If you look at GBEnergy's terms and conditions the Company makes it clear that they will take the first payment 21 days after you apply to switch. This payment is held on your account as a credit. On the day of the switch/es, GBEnergy will e-mail you and ask for a meter reading/s. The readings are passed to a 3rd party for review/adjudication and the agreed meter reading is used to close your old account and start your new account with GBEnergy.

Yes, it is possible that it might appear that you are paying two suppliers at the same time but, as I said, you will not lose out financially. That is, you will not pay for the same energy twice.

FWiW, I get electricity from GBEnergy and, to date, they have been as good as any supplier that I have ever dealt with. If you want accurate monthly bills, then just supply GBEnergy with actual meter readings. My billing date is the 10th of each month so I provide a meter reading on this date.
  • Ami_Dwife
    Options
    Im guessing the main way they cut costs is on customer service and communication. I switched to GB, but have struggled to get bills from them, the can't use smart meters and seemingly prefer to estimate bills (using an industry standard) than use the supplied readings. With previous suppliers i have always felt in control of my energy usage, with online tools. GB energy doesn't do this.
    I've moved my energy supply, but leaving wasn't easy either, communication was difficult - with a wait time on the phone of around 8-15 minutes.... Again they ignored my supplied meter readings, choosing to go with an estimate which was in excess of my energy usage two months later when I received my final bill. this was eventually reduced - but not fully corrected
    My advice is not to use, but to take advantage of the cheap fixed rate deals by some of the more experienced providers. Customer service is so important.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 March 2016 at 9:58AM
    Options
    But many of your more experienced suppliers have lousy customer service as well as higher charges .

I am not a customer of GB but may well become one .
  • System
    Options
    Ami_Dwife wrote: »
    Im guessing the main way they cut costs is on customer service and communication. I switched to GB, but have struggled to get bills from them, the can't use smart meters and seemingly prefer to estimate bills (using an industry standard) than use the supplied readings. With previous suppliers i have always felt in control of my energy usage, with online tools. GB energy doesn't do this.
    I've moved my energy supply, but leaving wasn't easy either, communication was difficult - with a wait time on the phone of around 8-15 minutes.... Again they ignored my supplied meter readings, choosing to go with an estimate which was in excess of my energy usage two months later when I received my final bill. this was eventually reduced - but not fully corrected
    My advice is not to use, but to take advantage of the cheap fixed rate deals by some of the more experienced providers. Customer service is so important.

Hi - welcome to the forum. I have been with GBEnergy for 3 months and I have had no issues whatsoever. Basic - yes, but I couldn't care less if I get accurate billing which I do. My switch was on the 10th so I provide GB with a meter reading on the 10th of each month. I get an e-mail with a statement about 3 days later, and I can also access the statement in my online account. The bills are clear and uncomplicated.

Note: if you provide a meter reading immediately the e-mail request comes in - which is about a week before they are needed - this will result in an estimated bill.
  • Burnsie89
    Options
    On 19/1/16 I phoned GB Energy Supply to switch to them from British gas and it was going to save me £100s of pounds through the year. On completing the process I received an email with my customer ID number and all relevant details. I was waiting on the first direct debit coming out after getting a letter from British Gas to say sorry I was leaving however today when I phoned GB to check the progress I am not even a customer with them and they do not have an record of a phone call I made to them where direct debit details were provided and everything. This is an absolute shambles and I don't care how much I would have been saving it was not worth the hassle. :(:mad::mad::mad:
  • alanwsg
    alanwsg Posts: 765 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Burnsie89 wrote: »
    On 19/1/16 I phoned GB Energy Supply to switch to them from British gas and it was going to save me £100s of pounds through the year. On completing the process I received an email with my customer ID number and all relevant details. I was waiting on the first direct debit coming out after getting a letter from British Gas to say sorry I was leaving however today when I phoned GB to check the progress I am not even a customer with them and they do not have an record of a phone call I made to them where direct debit details were provided and everything. This is an absolute shambles and I don't care how much I would have been saving it was not worth the hassle. :(:mad::mad::mad:
    Exactly my experience, have had to give them my details three times before I "appeared" on their system. Also had to phone them four times before I got any login details for my on-line account.
    The switch does seem to be going ahead, but I don't have much confidence in them.
  • Methusela
    Methusela Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    I switched to GB Energy for both gas and electricity last July and have been completely happy with their service, speed and accuracy of billing and competitive rates.

Two months ago I helped my neighbour switch to GB Energy, when EON demanded £430 a month for her all-electric home on a dual rate meter. This was the result of nearly a year of them using estimated readings. She is now paying £140 per month, with one single rate for both day and night units with GB. No problems with that switch either.

Obviously GB are not perfect and some posting on this thread have had problems, so maybe I was just lucky - or they were unlucky. But it's important to get a balanced view.
  • alanwsg
    alanwsg Posts: 765 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is anyone able to access their profile information on GB Energy's website?

I'd quite like to change the Email address they're using to contact me, but I always get "Sorry, we are currently experiencing some technical problems" when I try to view my profile.
  • System
    Options
    alanwsg wrote: »
    Is anyone able to access their profile information on GB Energy's website?

I'd quite like to change the Email address they're using to contact me, but I always get "Sorry, we are currently experiencing some technical problems" when I try to view my profile.

Yes - no problem. It does require password entry and as far as I can there is no way to edit information in the profile. You may have to ask them to do it for you.
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I was thinking of switching to this company for electricity, but after reading these posts don't think I will bother.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport