Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 25th Jan 15, 9:08 PM
    • 717Posts
    • 4,633Thanks
    ploppy57
    Off on our adventure....Jan 2015
    • 25th Jan 15, 9:08 PM
    Off on our adventure....Jan 2015 25th Jan 15 at 9:08 PM
    Well I thought maybe I should start a diary so as not to fill the other threads with waffle....I thought I had started one the other day, but I just can't find it now, so maybe I didn't actually post it....LOL

Anyway, after our LBM just over a week ago, we are now just waiting to send all details to SC and hope to do that this week as soon as we have our new joint account details...didn't want to do it before as don't want them contacting our old bank. Soon as we get the account number I will set up all our new DD's and contact Lloyds to tell them I want to downgrade our Platinum account to a Classic.

Letters are all ready to send with the 1 token payment, which I will do this week as a few of the CC's are due at beginning of month. Hopefully the DMP will start in March.

I have registered us both with Noddle, as advised on another thread and am surprised that we actually have a credit rating of 3/5....expected it to be lower!

So what did we do this weekend? Well yesterday we decided to go for a carvery as we may not get too many treats in the future. I get the odd few hours overtime some months, so that was what we used to go out. 2 carveries ( I had the veggie option so was cheaper) and 2 drinks for under 16, so don't think that was too bad.

Then today I signed up for a few more survey sites, but have noticed with a lot of them they keep saying I am not eligible etc.....probably because I am too truthful and have no kids, no pets and not a lot of interests etc....maybe I should tell a few porkies to get more surveys. Then we went for a walk in the sunshine to see if the Co-op had any offers just before they closed....they didn't but at least we got a nice walk.

Now watching TV, cuddled under a blanket to save on the gas and just about to have another cup of tea. Lets see what this week brings.....
    DMP March '15 57,549. Now 44,430. almost 23% paid. Went SM Feb '18 to get DF sooner.
    Emergency fund #231... Building up slowly.
    Christmas '18 challenge... 22 /300
    "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the end of every day"
Page 7
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 11th Feb 18, 7:40 PM
    • 717 Posts
    • 4,633 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Well I spent this afternoon doing a DMP spreadsheet for our new SM journey. I have zero knowledge of how to create a spreadsheet, so got OH to do it & I just input all the details and will update it each month.
    We have currently paid about 22percent ( wont let me type the percent symbol...lol), of our original amount, which looks like nothing really but is a lot more than we would have paid off it in 3 years if we hadn't been on DMP. Although at the amount we are now paying, it looks like taking many years. But I am confident we will get some good F&F's and maybe even some UE's.

So tomorrow we are having a new bed delivered as ours has been awful for many years and can't stand it any more. FIL has loaned us the Money & we can pay back as & when.
    Also tomorrow got the 2 eldest GS's coming to stay for couple of days as its half term and DD is having some building work done. So should be a busy couple of days.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend
    Last edited by ploppy57; 16-02-2018 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Stupid numbers showing instead of symbols
    DMP March '15 57,549. Now 44,430. almost 23% paid. Went SM Feb '18 to get DF sooner.
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 16th Feb 18, 12:06 PM
    • 717 Posts
    • 4,633 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Not much to report on DMP front. Still no reply from N** day regarding my F&F offer. Also Moo*cr**t have still not replied to give us their bank details for setting up DD's. So they have had no payment this month....hey ho...their fault for not taking note of us telling them we had gone SM. Will just wait and see how long it takes them to get in touch.
    In other news I am now officially worn out after having GS's for 3 nights. We had some good fun though.
    So weekend plans are that I am at work till 5 today and then till 2 tomorrow. Catch up on food shopping and housework on Sunday and then another busy week next week. Really must sort out more "me" time as seem to be working/ babysitting more and more these days.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 17th Feb 18, 10:51 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Hi Ploppy, hope you had a good day at work,I worked today too and it was busy but good,Im definitely having some me time tomorrow,its so important to make time sto do something for yourself but sometimes so hard to actually do it
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = 17,630 Paid To Date = 502 Debt Now = 17,128
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 18th Feb 18, 7:49 AM
    • 717 Posts
    • 4,633 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Hi Ploppy, hope you had a good day at work,I worked today too and it was busy but good,Im definitely having some me time tomorrow,its so important to make time sto do something for yourself but sometimes so hard to actually do it
    Originally posted by Onebrokelady
    Yes I agree. "Me time" is important. Because we had 2 GSs for 3 nights, I didn't do any housework while they were here and then straight back to work as soon as I had dropped them off at home. So not had time to catch up. Going to try and have a blitz now...hoping I can get OH to help and then go for a walk and therm spend the afternoon doing some bits online and watching a DVD. Yesterday was food shopping straight after work and by the time I got home and put it all away it was time to cook dinner.
    Have a good day.
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 21st Feb 18, 6:10 PM
    • 717 Posts
    • 4,633 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Newday replied today and have rejected my 50% F&F offer. They have said they would settle at 75%, but that means paying 195 and the debt is only 260 anyway. They also said they would then default the remaining 65.
    So in view of that we have decided to try and settle in full over the next couple of months. This is our smallest debt and the only one that has not defaulted and the others will be falling off the credit file in the next 3 to 4 years, so don't want starting another one now...just for the sake of 65.
    We can then save more towards other F&F's on our bigger debts.

In other news, had a nice catch up with a friend today over a cup of coffee.
    Off to have some dinner now and watch Emmerdale....
    • jwil
    • By jwil 22nd Feb 18, 12:22 PM
    • 8,419 Posts
    • 25,622 Thanks
    jwil
    That's a shame they rejected it. Agree it's not worth defaulting if you can avoid it now.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 22nd Feb 18, 4:22 PM
    • 717 Posts
    • 4,633 Thanks
    ploppy57
    That's a shame they rejected it. Agree it's not worth defaulting if you can avoid it now.
    Originally posted by jwil

Yes, that's my feeling, although some have advised that it doesn't matter as credit score is trashed anyway. But my credit score is slightly better than OH's as all his debts are defaulted where as I still have the Newday one that is showing as up to date. I know we will not want credit in the future and maybe it doesn't matter, but it matters to me.
    We do want to move house to downsize and mortgage finishes in 8 years so would like all the defaults gone by then, even though we won't be wanting another mortgage....lol. It just makes me feel better.

I have written back to them and thanked them for their 75% offer, but declined it and said that as I do not want a default showing on the account, I intend to try and settle the full debt ASAP by rejigging my finances. I have sent another 30 today leaving me only 230 to pay, which I have said I hope to try and settle within the next couple of months.

I will then be saving F&F's for companies that are willing to do a deal in the future
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 22nd Feb 18, 5:32 PM
    • 717 Posts
    • 4,633 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Well had a bit of a blip and had to break into my Christmas savings...which was only a few anyway so far and also my 2 pot and my 20p savings pot. But hey ho....that's what its there for. So will be starting again now once I have sat down and done my new budgets once we know what the water rates and council tax will be going up to this year.
    Off to get some tea now and read the last 30 pages of my book.
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 26th Feb 18, 5:00 PM
    • 717 Posts
    • 4,633 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Well we had an uneventful weekend and got quite a few things done. DH has made me another spread sheet, ( the first one was to track our DMP payments now we have gone SM) and the new one is to actually put all our income and expenditure in, that goes into the joint account. This is the account that all the DD's come out of and DH's wages get paid into. My wages go into my own account and they are just for food/clothes/household bits/ holidays etc etc, so will be doing separate one for that. I intend to forecast to the end of the year and keep to budget exactly....nothing extra to be taken out of the joint account other than will be skimming account towards emergency fund as well with just the odd change. I have a money box I am saving for Christmas, just putting in 1 a day and any extra I find in purse that I feel like putting in. I may break into it en-route as like to start shopping early if I see anything that would be suitable. Definitely cutting down big time this year though. Spending less on adults and just concentrating on the grandchildren and my great niece.

Nothing happening on the DMP front. Not heard back from any of them re the CCA requests. And still nothing from Moorcroft regarding them sending bank details so we can pay them.

Hope everybody else is ok
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 28th Feb 18, 4:05 PM
    • 717 Posts
    • 4,633 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Still nothing exciting to report. It's cold and the snow can't make up its mind if it's coming or not. We've had hard snow showers, not really settled except for on the pavements and now the sun's come out again. Just hope its ok tomorrow as I have to drive to work.

Been working on my spreadsheets and finances to try and make everything a lot more organised. I am actually quite enjoying having everything written down and accounted for....how sad am I?

Looking into survey sites and stuff like that for extra income, but so far I have never found any that actually work well. They all seem to take a lot of time for very little reward and after a while, they all seem to say you are not eligible for the surveys.

Oh oh....here come the snow again. Off to do some exercises I think and warm up.
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 5th Mar 18, 6:22 PM
    • 717 Posts
    • 4,633 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Letter from Ne*day today after I declined their f&f offer as didn't want them defaulting the remainder. They wanted to assure me that there is no adverse markers on my account at present. Thought that was nice of them to bother to tell me.
    Have written to L*nk and followed up on our CCA request. As they have not even bothered to acknowledge the request, we have said we will stop payments until they comply.....I do like being in charge... Lol

Had youngest GS today and a walk to the village to the local discount shop and stocked up on cheap goodies....kit kat 6 pack, 3 for 1 and Mr K bars, 12 for 1.50. Should keep us going for a while....especially as I am trying hard to have no gluten.
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 7th Mar 18, 8:13 AM
    • 717 Posts
    • 4,633 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Just a quick post while eating breakfast. Off for a quick squizz round the charity shops in a bit and then hairdressers, followed by work this afternoon 1pm-5pm...nice bit of over time and already allocated the funds to various saving pots...

Hoping to see the debt figure reducing a bit more soon, now that we have gone SM'd, and hoping to see the EF figure increasing. Slow and Steady wins the race. We will get there in the end.

Have a good day everyone.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 7th Mar 18, 8:24 AM
    • 6,266 Posts
    • 12,467 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    I would think it might make you feel more in control by going SM. I think you did the right thing re the NewDay account. Defaulting for such a small amount is not worth it. You may have better luck on F and Fs for larger debts.

I love spreadsheets too and have tracked income and expenditure for years. I also had one for projected pension income and mortgage overpayments which was invaluable.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 7th Mar 18, 8:34 AM
    • 717 Posts
    • 4,633 Thanks
    ploppy57
    I would think it might make you feel more in control by going SM. I think you did the right thing re the NewDay account. Defaulting for such a small amount is not worth it. You may have better luck on F and Fs for larger debts.

I love spreadsheets too and have tracked income and expenditure for years. I also had one for projected pension income and mortgage overpayments which was invaluable.
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver

Ooh I would love to be over paying on the mortgage...don't think that will happen yet though. Although I did read about someone, can't remember who it was now, who was over paying mortgage, rather than offering F&F's at the moment. I suppose there are pros and cons to both ways.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 7th Mar 18, 8:42 AM
    • 6,266 Posts
    • 12,467 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Ooh I would love to be over paying on the mortgage...don't think that will happen yet though. Although I did read about someone, can't remember who it was now, who was over paying mortgage, rather than offering F&F's at the moment. I suppose there are pros and cons to both ways.
    Originally posted by ploppy57
    It may be historybuff although I know she does both? If you are approaching retirement and do not intend taking out any new debt it makes sense to do that although I know some people have difficulty doing that. Personally I wouldn't want to go into retirement with a mortgage. Once your income drops you send the reduced i and E to debtors who see there is no spare income for debt (unless you have a large pension) and the debts are defaulted and written off.

Your mortgage is small I know but if you are close to retirement it may be worth focusing on that and if debt is not paid off by 5e time you retire you default. From the sounds of it you are not there yet though.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 7th Mar 18, 9:30 AM
    • 717 Posts
    • 4,633 Thanks
    ploppy57
    It may be historybuff although I know she does both? If you are approaching retirement and do not intend taking out any new debt it makes sense to do that although I know some people have difficulty doing that. Personally I wouldn't want to go into retirement with a mortgage. Once your income drops you send the reduced i and E to debtors who see there is no spare income for debt (unless you have a large pension) and the debts are defaulted and written off.

Your mortgage is small I know but if you are close to retirement it may be worth focusing on that and if debt is not paid off by 5e time you retire you default. From the sounds of it you are not there yet though.
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver

No, we definitely won't be wanting to take out any more debt.... I am 60, so get state pension at 66 and have a small private pension that I can actually take now if I choose. Was thinking of looking into it actually and see if its best to take now or wait. OH is a lot younger than me...by 12 years, so he will still be working when I retire....(although to be honest, I do not want to retire and would hope to still work part time. I only work part time now, but hopefully slightly less hours by then). Mortgage is not due to finish until I am 68, so would be nice to get it paid off earlier if possible then maybe OH wouldn't have to work till he is 67 or 68....as the current state pension says he will!!!

Our debts, all except the N*day one are already defaulted. I would like to think that with F&F's etc we could get DF before the mortgage finishes, that is the plan anyway. But didn't realise that writing off the debts was even an option once retired.
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 7th Mar 18, 7:07 PM
    • 717 Posts
    • 4,633 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Come to the conclusion that W/c*t are stupid .....we wrote and told them we were going SM. They wrote back and said they accepted our token offers for 6 months and they would review our situation after that to make sure we could afford repayments. Now today we get letters saying they have just discovered that SC are no longer representing us and we must contact them immediately to agree a way forward! This really is a case of one department not telling the other what is going on....they are so stupid. There was a time I would have panicked at this, but not any more.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 9th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    • 8,419 Posts
    • 25,622 Thanks
    jwil
    One of my creditors did that, possibly the same one! I sent them a copy of their acceptance letter and they did apologise.

I make small overpayments to my mortgage. I really want it gone. If your budget allows, just add a few to your mortgage figure on your I&E so you have a bit in the 'pot' for overpayments.
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 15th Mar 18, 8:37 PM
    • 717 Posts
    • 4,633 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Excited today...have written an F&F letter to PR*.....They replied to one of our CCA requests, saying they are unable to supply the documents so at the moment the debt is UE. They stated that we still owe the money and they are still allowed to contact us etc etc and that it will now be passed to their collections department and will let us know if they find the documents in the future. This is only a very low debt of only just over 290 so I doubt they will want to spend money on admin etc to chase it so we are offering an F&F of 30. I think just over 10% sounds like a fair offer, so we will keep our fingers crossed. We have 2 other debts with them as well, so hoping they come back UE as well.
    In other news, looking forward to the weekend as feeling very tired this week. Work with dementia sufferers and sometimes things happen that make me just feel like I wish I could do so much more and have come home feeling quite drained today. Tomorrow is my other job, so a bit of something different ( retail), but not much job satisfaction.
    Hope everyone is OK.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 16th Mar 18, 12:40 PM
    • 8,419 Posts
    • 25,622 Thanks
    jwil
    Good luck I managed to settle an UE debt with them for around 30%. They wouldn't go any lower I probably should have held out for longer, but it was nice to see the back of it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,234Posts Today

8,106Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Facebook today admitted in parliament that after it heard of my defamation lawsuit against it for 50 fake scam ads? https://t.co/XttOnyH9sq

• RT @jamiesusskind: After more than 10 years, and with such sadness, I am leaving Labour. I'm doing it for the same reason that I joined: be?

• RT @Deeangelique_: I suggested @MartinSLewis get 'I Don't Do Ads' tattooed to his forehead yesterday. Today he posted this. I gave Martin L?

• Follow Martin