Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Freezing
    Warning re 24/7 Home Rescue
    • 26th Dec 14, 10:26 PM
    Warning re 24/7 Home Rescue 26th Dec 14 at 10:26 PM
    Dear all

I just wanted to give some feed back on the terrible service we have had this Christmas from 24/7 Home Rescue.

Firstly, they are not 24/7 - whist you can make a claim with the engineering company they outsource their work to, you can't actually speak to them directly because they are closed until 5 January 2015! Which company in this day and age is closed for this long without someone being available to contact, especially when the say they are 24/7? I have asked the online "webchat" machine wether they have an emergency number they can contact and all I got was an evasive answer to the effect of "someone will call you soon" presumably when they re-open on 5 January!

Long and short of the story is that we had problems with our boiler. They sent out someone to look at it. This engineer reset the boiler and went on his way. The problems persisted and 24/7 have not sent someone to look at the boiler again as they think the problem is a pressure issue. How would they know this without even looking at the boiler after the problems persisted? Any way, it's a fault with the boiler itself but they won't send anyone out to have a look at it. The boiler has broken down again and when I called the third party engineering line we were told there was a note on the system not to send an engineer out until the dispute was investigated. Problem is, they are closed over Christmas and there is no one we can speak to.

If there was an issue which was genuinely not covered the policy then fine, we would get it fixed. But they they allegedly fixed our boiler then when the problems persisted they said it was a problem with the pressure without even looking at the boiler. Also, pressure isn't specifically excluded from the terms of their service.

I have used both British Gas and Homeserve before and for all their faults, at least you can speak to a person at the company over Christmas. Out of Homeserve and British Gas, I would say Homeserve were the best so will be going back to them.

I am sorry to say that these smaller independent companies really don't provide the same level of service.

Sorry for the rant but I was most disappointed to hear the company left us without cover over Christmas.

We've got the electric heaters on for now!
Page 24
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 7th Oct 18, 9:45 AM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 847 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    People are different so I understand how you feel.

I would also just tell them to get lose.

But you could give 30 days notice, do not use them. You could enclose a cheque I suppose for the notice period. Check your contract. I am positive it will say monthly rolling contract. Then block them on your phone. There letter means nothing, it would have to go to court first and I don't believe they will dare do that.

Oh and don't waste your time trying to talk reason to the scammers, it wont help. Don't engage, do the above and then ignore and that includes letters. Only come back here if you have a letter from the Country Court. The rest is just bluff.
    • Helenjohanna
    • By Helenjohanna 7th Oct 18, 8:13 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Helenjohanna
    If I get a letter from the County Court, does that mean charges will have already been added on? If I give 30 days' notice even though I've already stopped the direct debit, does that look a bit weird? I can do a search in my emails and try to find my contract, but I bet it will say that it switched to a year. I bet it changed!
    • Stefandurrant1990
    • By Stefandurrant1990 12th Oct 18, 1:22 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Stefandurrant1990
    I have cover with them I took them a week to come out after I had to call the engineer myself to come out then then tell me I have to pay 195+ VAT for parts and labour even tho I paid 75 excess now all they tell me is that it’s in there t&c and that it’s my fault I should have read through them so I had a look and it said basically they have the choice what they pay for so the cover was basically useless. Now they won’t let me leave they want 140 upfront Dono what to do
    • Helenjohanna
    • By Helenjohanna 12th Oct 18, 12:13 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Helenjohanna
    That's what happened to me. I had to pay an excess, then a few hundred, and they took days to come out, even though I was supposedly prioritised. I had no heating and no hot water for over a week and a small son. Having the cover made no difference at all to cost or time it took. It was more expensive than just calling a plumber! Then they increased my charges hugely.

As I've above, my bank stopped the direct debit, but now I'm getting hassled by text and I'm expecting debt collector letters, which will really stress me out.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 12th Oct 18, 12:19 PM
    • 27,492 Posts
    • 13,485 Thanks
    Cardew
    Do you think this lot would ever take you to court? personally I would take them to the small claims court to get back your money - and show the judge this thread!
    • Helenjohanna
    • By Helenjohanna 12th Oct 18, 12:30 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Helenjohanna
    Gosh, I don't know. I keep wondering if I should write a letter explaining why the charges are unfair and the company's tactics are unethical, but would opening that dialogue create more problems?
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 12th Oct 18, 1:27 PM
    • 27,492 Posts
    • 13,485 Thanks
    Cardew
    Gosh, I don't know. I keep wondering if I should write a letter explaining why the charges are unfair and the company's tactics are unethical, but would opening that dialogue create more problems?
    Originally posted by Helenjohanna

Write to whom?

If you took them to the Small Claims court I suspect they would settle out of court rather than have their modus operandi exposed.

It isn't costly and you don't need a solicitor.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 12th Oct 18, 1:37 PM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 847 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    To be fair. You asked us and we have given an answer..........they will not care. If you still want to try then that's fine.
    • jk0
    • By jk0 12th Oct 18, 2:09 PM
    • 2,529 Posts
    • 25,538 Thanks
    jk0
    This company leaches off the backs of timid souls like Helen. That will not go down well with God when you meet him, Hakim and Lauren.
    • Helenjohanna
    • By Helenjohanna 12th Oct 18, 2:42 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Helenjohanna
    Yes, I know I got my answer from you on here and, so far, I have followed that advice and I am grateful. I agree that that's fair. I can't help worrying though. I'm receiving lots of texts from them warning that I'm building arrears, hence I've commented on here a few more times. I'm not meaning to ignore advice. Sorry if it came across that way.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 12th Oct 18, 3:16 PM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 847 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    Yes, I know I got my answer from you on here and, so far, I have followed that advice and I am grateful. I agree that that's fair. I can't help worrying though. I'm receiving lots of texts from them warning that I'm building arrears, hence I've commented on here a few more times. I'm not meaning to ignore advice. Sorry if it came across that way.
    It's fine Helen, I just get frustrated how they worry people. Can you not block their number?

They are just trying to frighten you. Give notice pay up to that point and then dont engage. They are scammers. I issued a CC against these people and they were on the phone trying to settle in 48 hours.
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 12-10-2018 at 3:18 PM.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 12th Oct 18, 3:21 PM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 847 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    Notice we never hear from 24/7 scammers at times like this...............thats because its bad PR!!
    • Helenjohanna
    • By Helenjohanna 12th Oct 18, 3:33 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Helenjohanna
    I didn't give any notice, so I will need to do that and pay two months then, I guess. Eek. I will get onto that tomorrow.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,956Posts Today

8,873Users online

Martin's Twitter