Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Freezing
    Warning re 24/7 Home Rescue
    • 26th Dec 14, 10:26 PM
    Warning re 24/7 Home Rescue 26th Dec 14 at 10:26 PM
    Dear all

I just wanted to give some feed back on the terrible service we have had this Christmas from 24/7 Home Rescue.

Firstly, they are not 24/7 - whist you can make a claim with the engineering company they outsource their work to, you can't actually speak to them directly because they are closed until 5 January 2015! Which company in this day and age is closed for this long without someone being available to contact, especially when the say they are 24/7? I have asked the online "webchat" machine wether they have an emergency number they can contact and all I got was an evasive answer to the effect of "someone will call you soon" presumably when they re-open on 5 January!

Long and short of the story is that we had problems with our boiler. They sent out someone to look at it. This engineer reset the boiler and went on his way. The problems persisted and 24/7 have not sent someone to look at the boiler again as they think the problem is a pressure issue. How would they know this without even looking at the boiler after the problems persisted? Any way, it's a fault with the boiler itself but they won't send anyone out to have a look at it. The boiler has broken down again and when I called the third party engineering line we were told there was a note on the system not to send an engineer out until the dispute was investigated. Problem is, they are closed over Christmas and there is no one we can speak to.

If there was an issue which was genuinely not covered the policy then fine, we would get it fixed. But they they allegedly fixed our boiler then when the problems persisted they said it was a problem with the pressure without even looking at the boiler. Also, pressure isn't specifically excluded from the terms of their service.

I have used both British Gas and Homeserve before and for all their faults, at least you can speak to a person at the company over Christmas. Out of Homeserve and British Gas, I would say Homeserve were the best so will be going back to them.

I am sorry to say that these smaller independent companies really don't provide the same level of service.

Sorry for the rant but I was most disappointed to hear the company left us without cover over Christmas.

We've got the electric heaters on for now!
Page 22
    • drfc75
    • By drfc75 9th Dec 18, 6:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    drfc75
    I need to cancel my service contract with this lot without them trying it on with a cancellation fee. Took it out 27/12/17. Have paid 12 monthly DD payments and had a recent boiler service. Their T&C’s are a joke. If I send a letter to give 30 days notice and cancel my DD and tell my bank not to allow them to reinstate it will that do the trick?
    • roundbox
    • By roundbox 12th Dec 18, 9:47 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    roundbox
    How are these clowns carry on business?
    Has anyone reported them to trading standards or whichever body is meant to stop this sort of thing?
    • Biscuit Tin
    • By Biscuit Tin 12th Dec 18, 10:46 AM
    • 209 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    Biscuit Tin
    I need to cancel my service contract with this lot without them trying it on with a cancellation fee. Took it out 27/12/17. Have paid 12 monthly DD payments and had a recent boiler service. Their T&C’s are a joke. If I send a letter to give 30 days notice and cancel my DD and tell my bank not to allow them to reinstate it will that do the trick?
    Originally posted by drfc75
    You may well now think the T&Cs are a joke, but they were the T&Cs you willingly agreed to when you entered into the contract with the supplier.
    You need to refer to them - they will explain how you may end the contract.

Remember, a direct debit is only a method of paying for something; it does not affect the underlying contract which you have agreed to pay for.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 12th Dec 18, 11:12 AM
    • 1,013 Posts
    • 898 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    You may well now think the T&Cs are a joke, but they were the T&Cs you willingly agreed to when you entered into the contract with the supplier.
    You need to refer to them - they will explain how you may end the contract.

Remember, a direct debit is only a method of paying for something; it does not affect the underlying contract which you have agreed to pay for.
    Originally posted by Biscuit Tin
    Yep, you should read that you will not be covered for drain blockage if you have a second toilet to use or if you have no water in the kitchen but have it in the toilet!!
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 12th Dec 18, 11:25 AM
    • 27,598 Posts
    • 13,545 Thanks
    Cardew
    Yep, you should read that you will not be covered for drain blockage if you have a second toilet to use or if you have no water in the kitchen but have it in the toilet!!
    Originally posted by scd3scd4

That is too loose a description; you should be more specific - hot or cold water.

Also state the temperature at which water is deemed to be 'hot'.
    • Edders1
    • By Edders1 12th Dec 18, 2:32 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Edders1
    Here's my experience of this outfit.
    In October last year 2017, having been fooled by TrustPilot reviews, I paid 156 for annual Home Emergency cover, over the phone by debit card. Within 24 hrs of doing so, and having looked more closely at genuine reviews, I decided to cancel this cover, I tried to phone and was interminably on hold. I emailed several times (no response) and then put it in writing sent Royal Mail 1st Class. Still no response, so I then wrote again, this time Royal Mail 1st Class Signed For, ie Recorded Delivery. All this was within ONE WEEK (7 days) of my payment. (Their T & Cs stipulate any contract agreement can be cancelled in writing within 14 days.)

I had ZERO response to all my attempts, so after 14 days I raised the matter with VISA Disputes. VISA asked me for a copy of their T & Cs and evidence of my attempts to communicate. I had naturally kept a strictly accurate record of calls, emails and copies of all letters, including the receipt confirming my Signed For letter had been received, and these were duly sent to VISA. Within a couple of weeks, VISA returned my 156 saying they were pursuing the matter. On 23rd January, HomeResponse360 returned 156 to my account, presumably following VISA's intervention. Subsequently VISA took back the 156 they had paid me upfront.
    One might have expected HomeResponse would amend its system and that that was the end of the matter.
    A few weeks ago, I started receiving texts saying my "payment had been declined" and I should contact them to "avoid any arrears". This obviously meant they had tried illegally to take a new payment. They hadn't succeeded because by chance the card I originally paid on had been damaged and replaced.
    I immediately sent them a letter (Signed For) again, with a summary of what had gone on before and requesting that texts stop. I have since received three more texts at varying intervals causing me to send ANOTHER Signed For letter stating the same. All attempts to communicate with this company are ignored.
    Today, having received another text I have tried to phone them 5 times. I have been constantly on hold and have not got through. (All these phone calls have also been recorded.)
    Following advice from my lawyer nephew in London, I have written a "Cease and Desist" letter which they will receive shortly.

Should they not "cease and desist" my nephew will be taking up the matter.

I cannot understand why whoever is in charge of this busines would want to run it like this.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

287Posts Today

1,787Users online

Martin's Twitter