Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 14th Dec 14, 4:06 PM
    • 6,472Posts
    • 10,423Thanks
    scubaangel
    Scuba's Saving the Ha'Pennies
    • 14th Dec 14, 4:06 PM
    Scuba's Saving the Ha'Pennies 14th Dec 14 at 4:06 PM
    After my somewhat unpredictable last year I have moved back to the South and am starting my debt free journey from a new start point.

Last year I was unemployed for almost 8 months which unhelpfully coincided with the things I had organised before my unemployment and I didnt want to cancel (the wedding of one of my best friends, my annual trip to Twickenham for a rugby match among them) so my debt managed to increase but not massively.

Unfortunately once employed I left my permanent job after 4 months as I hated it to move back to the Surrey area, which then coincided with a series of somewhat inconvienient events which have conspired to cost me more money than I was happy about - making my very happy I hadn't used the salary I was saving to pay off debt like I should have been doing.

So 4 weeks after making the move for my new job (which I still love despite some tough days) I am getting the keys to my new house tomorrow lunchtime and it's time to start working out a new budget.
    Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
Page 54
    • scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 13th Sep 18, 9:40 PM
    • 6,472 Posts
    • 10,423 Thanks
    scubaangel
    And to make this month even worse my phone screen smashed yesterday, after only getting it fixed a couple of weeks ago I don't want to go back to the same place to get it fixed so will be visiting a different store for the fix. And that will be next months target to pay off the extra on the credit card alongside the expenses associated with the half marathon and oktoberfest weekend.
    Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 14th Sep 18, 9:38 PM
    • 6,472 Posts
    • 10,423 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Phone fixed, again, so thats another £70 to a credit card.

On the upsdie the £25 from sb arrived, along with £1 from qmee I forgot to redeem the other day -so £26 withdrawn to the bank.

I also managed to get the last 75 points I needed to cash out on yougov, so that'll be £50 on its way in the net 4 weeks or so.

Monthly challenge at £65.11/£200.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 15th Sep 18, 8:22 PM
    • 6,472 Posts
    • 10,423 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Managed to do enough surveys this afternoon to hit pay out threshold on panelbase, it'll take a few days for the surveys to move from pending but as long as they do it'll be about £14 I can withdraw.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 16th Sep 18, 5:45 PM
    • 6,472 Posts
    • 10,423 Thanks
    scubaangel
    No extra earnings yet today, but I ordered some new trail shoes last night, found them on sportshoes.com at a really good price + postage, so decided to see if I could find them for a better price elsewhere only to discover that sportshoes also sell through amazon, so bought the same shoes for the same price and same postage costs but using my amazon vouchers instead of direct - and as ss aren't on any of the cash back sites I use I haven't lost any cashback either.

Still need another pair of mud run shoes but as my current mud and trail pair have started to disintegrate I thought it was best to replace them for more day to day type off road running and keep the really disgusting ones for the next couple of mud runs if I can't find any at a good price - have my eye on a couple of brands but they don't come up on offer often.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 17th Sep 18, 3:00 PM
    • 6,472 Posts
    • 10,423 Thanks
    scubaangel
    £1 amazon voucher arrived today - not sure where from though, possibly bigdl.

Walked from the males place in to town this morning, spent just under £7 in Mr L's. Ground coffee - a bag double the size of the typical supermarket ones for the same price - a pack of three cornish pasties which have become a lunchtime favourite before work, and some jars of pasta bake sauce.

Earnings wise I've got S'mores running on my tablet, sb apps on the android phone, and the two iphones (now the older ones seems to be working reasonably reliably while plugged in again) are running instagc videos.

Heading in to sb to see if I can find a survey or two to get to that first target before I set to work again on my email inbox surveys.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 17th Sep 18, 4:45 PM
    • 6,472 Posts
    • 10,423 Thanks
    scubaangel
    A couple more qmee surveys and some searches and I've another £1 in paypal from them, along with £5 from pinecone.

So another £6 has been withdrawn to my bank account.

Monthly challenge now at £71.11/£200.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 19th Sep 18, 12:11 AM
    • 6,472 Posts
    • 10,423 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Sorted out another box of books to send to ziffit, 10 books this time worth just under £5. But again done through tcb for the 10.1%

Just need to print a label and find time to go in to town before work to drop them off - got an earlier than normal start tomorrow, a very early start on Thursday (albeit it's practically a split shift so I might be able to go in to the town near work between time), and a "normal" start time on Friday but I've booked a mystery shop to be done then.

On the upside I finally got a recalculation from HMRC which looks correct so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my payslip will look a little healthier than it has done recently!

Also hit £5.43 on attapoll so redeemed it for paypal, as well as having done three citizenme surveys today so have withdrawn all £6 of that. Making my monthly challenge £77.11/£200.
    Last edited by scubaangel; 19-09-2018 at 12:13 AM.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 20th Sep 18, 1:13 AM
    • 6,472 Posts
    • 10,423 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Pending survey credits moved to payable so have been claimed, £13 on its way to my bank.

Other than that not a lot achieved today as i spent most of my after work time studying.

Ought to have some free time tomorrow so plan to spend it working on some surveys in the inbox.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 21st Sep 18, 12:28 AM
    • 6,472 Posts
    • 10,423 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Email from yougov today saying my payment has been sent, it's not showing in the bank yet but hopefully by Monday it will be.

Offered to do an overtime shift could be anything from 2 to 6 hours in one of the other restaurants at my employer - I've sneakily added it to my personal development plan for my course as "work with other outlets to get a greater overview of our business outlets", also sat a couple of exams this morning - I'm hopeful I'll have passed, although my revision was spotty at best!

My new running shoes were also delivered today - they're so pretty....these ones are only for off road runs, not mud runs so should stay fairly close to their current colour (which happens to match my mermaid running capris).

Thinking about getting another small shoal of pencil fish for one of my tanks - there are currently 4 coral red pencils in there and I think the tank can comfortably take the bioload of probably another 4 similar sized fish, I'm thinking pencils as there are so many varieties I ought to be able to find some which are another colour but all share similar behaviour traits so should shoal together and with any luck the Ram will ignore them as it does the existing fish - I think that will be a treat to myself from the tips purse when I find a local shop selling some.
    Last edited by scubaangel; 21-09-2018 at 12:33 AM.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 24th Sep 18, 3:37 PM
    • 6,472 Posts
    • 10,423 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Extra shift was interesting, felt really odd being at my work place but not in my normal areas or uniform and not having a clue what I was supposed to be doing!

It was interesting though, as much as some of the casuals who have done it in the past have said it's boring I disagree, I think I learned alot from it, but I possibly have a better view of what was going on and more interest as my career is hospitality and for most of them its a job while they're at school or college.

Annoyingly while trying to go home I had to stop to take a phone call then the car wouldn't restart. I called the AA, who were quoting a 2 hour+ wait (at 11.30pm), so I phoned and woke the male who came out with his car to jump mine - I had jump leads but no other people around to ask to borrow their car.

Then to compound the unfun parts my bedroom ceiling is leaky again. I've got in touch with my landlady who has replied that she'll come round with her husband to have a look as soon as she can - as best I can tell he still works in some capacity although they say they're retired - but I've let them know when I'm around this week so with any luck they can do my other day off or a morning before work.

Meanwhile money wise yougov money is in the bank account, so I can add £50 to my monthly challenge target £127.11/£200
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 26th Sep 18, 12:18 AM
    • 6,472 Posts
    • 10,423 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Not achieved over much today - lazy lunch (instant noodles), and dinner (dinged a pastie, then followed it with popcorn).

I did go for a longer than normal run - just short of 7 miles about half of it was along a section of my local long distance footpath I haven't run before. Not as pretty as my usual sections of it so I think I'll stick to those in future.

SB and insta targets met for the day, it was a struggle so I haven't even looked at email surveys.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 8th Oct 18, 2:20 PM
    • 6,472 Posts
    • 10,423 Thanks
    scubaangel
    This week seems to have gone by so quickly!

Made some nice foldy money tips at an event last week so thats in the tips purse ready for this weekend.

My ceiling is leaking again so the landlord has been out fingers crossed its a relatively simple fix again, and independantly my letting agent want to come out and do an inspection. So I'm trying to find the appropriate light bulbs to replace - am sure I bought a paid last time the living room bulb went but I can't find the second one, and one of the spots has gone in the kitchen too.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 10th Oct 18, 1:19 AM
    • 6,472 Posts
    • 10,423 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Can't find the bulbs so have ordered the kitchen ones from amazon (muchly cheaper for 5 vs supermarkets - there are 4 bulbs in there so assuming they're all on the way out theres one spare). Supermarkets are cheaper for the other one so will go buy a pair next time I have to obtain food.

Almost at my instagc target of 7000 points, as soon as I hit it (hopefully tonight) I'll get a cash out request in for paypal again.
    Swagbucks I hit target this morning thanks to a survey but I'm working on an app which I have to get to level 70 on for a fairly big SB award so am hoping to get that before the weekend (ideally the weekend for credit as it would cover both targets).

As I've reached the video max on insta I'm trying to run engageme/smores on the laptop while doing tap surveys on the tablet. Screen out points = hitting my target sooner along with the bonus points.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 10th Oct 18, 11:17 PM
    • 6,472 Posts
    • 10,423 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Hit my instagc target so have requested the $70/7000 points to paypal.

It's been a bit of a slow day today as I hit my sb target then have moved on to email surveys as my inbox is feeling a bit cluttered. Will try for some quick and easy points later and tomorrow morning.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 15th Oct 18, 3:24 PM
    • 6,472 Posts
    • 10,423 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Busy old weekend, Oktoberfest was a lot of fun Saturday night. Sunday was less fun but I got around the Royal Parks Half successfully considering the lack of training and late night the night before. Provisional results are that I was a couple of minutes slower than the half I did last year but that'll be the equal lack of training, late night the night before, and a busier twisty course - last years was about 400 people and laps of Richmond Park, RPH was about 16000, and a single loop route.Really nice event though, not that I'll be entering the ballot for it again! Am thinking next years half marathon might have to be one of the more local ones - there's one in January thats really local, but a few through Feb and March before the Spring marathon season kicks off in the UK.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 22nd Oct 18, 1:23 PM
    • 6,472 Posts
    • 10,423 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Still not signed up for anything else, looking at trail events for winter again, really unsure as I'd have liked to do the triple series I did last year but one is the same weekend as another event I'm doing, I didn't particularly enjoy the second and the third I loved but I know I wasn't at my best at work after it.

In the meantime work this week has been difficult, Tuesday was fine work wise but I was still in so much pain walking up and downstairs I was near useless, Wednesday I was in such a foul mood, nothing and noone seemed to be doing what I needed them to and I was struggling not to lose my temper with the team and it was a really late finish, Thursday was far too early a start as I was out at a training day for my work qual, then we had a dinner in the evening and I practically fell asleep at the table, went to bed as soon as dinner finished which is really unlike me (I'm normally up until the bar kicks us out), day off Friday but had a self employed job to do which was really time consuming, then working again at the weekend - not unsuccessfully but certainly still not back at my best.

Hoping today I'll be feeling a little more like I should at work.

Earnings wise I've been ticking over with sb and insta, barely done any surveys at all, but I have days off at the end of the week so hopefully I'll get some done then.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 25th Oct 18, 12:12 AM
    • 6,472 Posts
    • 10,423 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Still ticking over, work hasn't been over busy but I've had a demanding client host to deal with so it's been draining all the same.

Want to walk in to town tomorrow before work to visit Mr L's for some food for my day off, save me having to get up and face the world before I've eaten on Friday, but that means dragging myself out of bed early enough so I'm not so sure how successful my attempt will be!
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 26th Oct 18, 2:24 PM
    • 6,472 Posts
    • 10,423 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Claimed a virtual mastercard for £25 via swagbucks, got it this morning and realised I had another £25 I hadn't moved in to the bank, so just logged in and withdrawn the sterling balance of my paypal. So thats £62 in the bank towards this months credit card.

I did a balance transfer and miscalculated the new minimum so for the next couple of months extra payments are going to that card to reduce the balance until it gets to where I intended the minimum payment to be.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 26th Oct 18, 4:30 PM
    • 6,472 Posts
    • 10,423 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Found a reciept I thought I'd lost, so I can claim the try me free offer on a pizza I bought a couple of weeks ago. Only £2 but better back in my bank than theirs.

I've also done some research as I need to buy new winter work tights - looks like M&S might actually be the best value. £4 for three pairs, Mr T is £5 for three. My nearest M&S is on a slightly diverted route to work so I'll try to get there this week before a shift.

Hit my sb target fairly easily, so been doing inbox surveys, doesn't feel like I'm making much progress as none of the sites are close to cashing out but as we know persevring is the only way to get to those all important thresholds.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 30th Oct 18, 12:51 AM
    • 6,472 Posts
    • 10,423 Thanks
    scubaangel
    While rummaging in a cupboard for a jar to keep my excess coffee in I found the missing ligh bulb, so thats all lights currently working (until tomorrow no doubt).

Had an offer on one of my shpock items, hopefully that will be one more thing removed from my life over the next few days. Also while looking for shoes for the date night on Friday I ended up emptying out my shoe bag and have decided to get rid of alot of sandal type high heels I'm never going to even attempt to wear again. They're bagged up ready to go out to the car so I can chuck them in to a charity shop or clothes bin somewhere.

While out in town the other day I also bought a Christmas present for my Mum, need to pop it in the cupboard with the one I already have for the male creature when he's not around (also need to have a tidy up of the bottom of the cupboard which may take more time!).

Had to change the batteries in both my car keys too as neither of them were unlocking the car until I was stood right next to it, annoyingly I'm sure I had the appropriate button cell batteries but couldn't find them so spent £5 on two batteries, I expect I'll find the ones I'm sure I have tucked away somewhere soon.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,143Posts Today

9,687Users online

Martin's Twitter