Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 14th Dec 14, 4:06 PM
    • 6,458Posts
    • 10,410Thanks
    scubaangel
    Scuba's Saving the Ha'Pennies
    • 14th Dec 14, 4:06 PM
    Scuba's Saving the Ha'Pennies 14th Dec 14 at 4:06 PM
    After my somewhat unpredictable last year I have moved back to the South and am starting my debt free journey from a new start point.

Last year I was unemployed for almost 8 months which unhelpfully coincided with the things I had organised before my unemployment and I didnt want to cancel (the wedding of one of my best friends, my annual trip to Twickenham for a rugby match among them) so my debt managed to increase but not massively.

Unfortunately once employed I left my permanent job after 4 months as I hated it to move back to the Surrey area, which then coincided with a series of somewhat inconvienient events which have conspired to cost me more money than I was happy about - making my very happy I hadn't used the salary I was saving to pay off debt like I should have been doing.

So 4 weeks after making the move for my new job (which I still love despite some tough days) I am getting the keys to my new house tomorrow lunchtime and it's time to start working out a new budget.
    Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
Page 52
    • scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 27th Jul 18, 6:52 PM
    • 6,458 Posts
    • 10,410 Thanks
    scubaangel
    All sounding good Scuba.

I also have a couple of unwanted presents that I want to list, but worried I might get caught out by the people that bought me them.
    Originally posted by pennywisepoundstupid

It feels terrible doesn't it, but lovely as they are I don't need them (set of brand name hand creams) or in the case of one of the others its a DVD I already had on bluray. But I really do need to declutter the flat, feels like with not being here more than two nights a week most of the time I just come in drop stuff off and then leave again, so its not only smelly but dusty, untidy and cluttered worse than ever before!

Still I've got four listings on shpock, will copy the listings to gumtree later on.

Debating with myself about one of the items I've got to declutter - its a very small fish tank, its almost all plastic I'm sure can be recycled but I don't really want to put it in the recycling if its not, and I'm not sure I should try to sell/give it away because its simply too small for anything bigger than the tiniest of fish but has nowhere you can safely put a heater nor a particularly efficient filtration system - I've had it since I was a student and wanted fish and had no space for a decent sized tank nor the knowledge to not having my fish keeping be slightly cruel

Reading that back I've pretty much decided it needs to be disposed of not reused. So when I go down stairs later I'll have a proper look at the plastics to see what can be recycled or removed to make it recycle friendly.

After my discovery of the car stupidity the male and I have concocted a plan which sees him coming to mine after his run this evening in the car to jump mine, he'll go home and turn himself in to a human again, I'll take the car for a run up and down our local bypass (12 miles total) which should hopefully get enough juice in to the battery to get me to and from parkrun and then work tomorrow. If it won't start when I plan to go to parkrun I'll run home instead and get the train to work and he'll put the car on charge when he's home from work at lunchtime.
    Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 28th Jul 18, 11:15 AM
    • 6,458 Posts
    • 10,410 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Car seems to be sorted out - we jumped it from a battery pack the male has for work, which I'm carrying around for a few days just in case.

Parkrun this morning was warm but a pretty average time for me which is nice as my last couple were very slow!

Also come home to find that two of my shpock listings have been offered on and the buyer wants to pick up on Monday which is pretty perfect as thats my day off assuming the rota didnt get changed before it was published thursday evening. Only £3 but its a pile of things out of the flat and pennies in to my savings tin which has been neglected lately.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 30th Jul 18, 8:09 PM
    • 6,458 Posts
    • 10,410 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Shpock buyer came and collected, so I'm a bag of tealight holders down - got another listing on there and a few things ready to list when I'm not busy tomorrow morning.

Just signed up to do two swims at the Great Scottish Swim event next month, need to sort out transport up there but planning to use the remainder of my birthday money to cover it - tempted to drive up now the bloke is a named driver on my car as it would be cheaper but Surrey to Glasgow is a very long drive!
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 30th Jul 18, 11:29 PM
    • 6,458 Posts
    • 10,410 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Bloke fancied a swim this evening so we went to the late swim at our local pool, my membership had run out so I decided to pay for an annual membership rather than the payg I usually get £200 and I can swim as often as I like during the open sessions, vs £20 joining fee and £3 a swim. I've not been going much for hte last year or so as I've not had change or just not been motivated so hopefully knowing I need to swim at least once a week to get anywhere near value for money out of the membership will get me up and going there more often - I'm aiming for twice a week from now until I go to Scotland as I definitely need to swim more before those challenges!

I paid for the membership on my credit card so I'll also make a payment of at least £3 to it each time I swim.

Bloke creature forgot to ask at work about having the day off so we can travel to Scotland so hopefully he'll remember to ask tomorrow so I can sort out travel - flights are between £120 and £150 and train is £150-£200 return each, driving I reckon would be about £200 total for the fuel but take at least 10 hours (based on the rough maths of it usually takes 5+ hours to get to my parents despite the satnav claiming 3.5, and then another 4 ish from my parents to my friends place).
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 1st Aug 18, 1:50 AM
    • 6,458 Posts
    • 10,410 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Just 10p away from cashing out on onepoll now, hopefully tomorrow!

Requested a cash out of roughly £50 to paypal from instagc, normally I get amazon from them but after finally sorting out the password for my shop and scan account I have £70 of vouchers sat waiting so best to bolster the bank account ready for when I next plunge in to extra credit card payments - the minimums are are due out in the next week or so, which gives me a little while to get pennies in to the bank before I start to reallocate it to the debts.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 1st Aug 18, 6:58 PM
    • 6,458 Posts
    • 10,410 Thanks
    scubaangel
    As I was on an unusually early finishing shift today I decided to pop in to Waitrose on my way home from work to pick up some cash back app bargains.

One pack of Oreo thins - £1.10. Free thanks to cashback from shopmium
    A Capsicana cooking sauce £1.99. 49p thank to £1.50 cash back on clicksnap.

Also the ever appreciated 1p cashback for entering the clicksnap competition.

Total spend £3.09. Cash back back totalling £2.61.

Plus the free waitrose food mag and a coffee for using my loyalty card (combined freebies £3.75).

Plus the reciept has been snapped for snapmyeats, shoppix, reciept hog, big dl, and shopprize.

Another dept at work as sent out a message looking for people to be used as guinea pigs for training so I've said I'd be interested/available will cost me about £10 for what would cost our customers about £50 if I'm chosen.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 1st Aug 18, 7:36 PM
    • 6,458 Posts
    • 10,410 Thanks
    scubaangel
    I am one of the chosen ones. So will have to visit work tomorrow afternoon to recieve a massively discounted spa treatment. Hard life at times!

Edit. I just went to our website to check what I need to take with me for the treatment, apparently the cheapest version of what I'm going for is £90 and given the time frame they've said I'll be there for it could be up to £150 of treatment

So my plan for tomorrow now includes going to Mr L's on my way to work (theres a bigger one with a carpark which isnt too far out of my way) to get washing powder as I'm almost out and the offers on branded non bios aren't great at the moment and I don't like the generics, while I have in the past liked Mr L's (but not the equivalent from Aldi). I'll give myself a budget of £10 while I'm in there as I need something for dinner - not sure if the male will be joining me or not - and I've not alot left in the freezer but do have plenty of store cupboard stuff.

I also need to get some cash out so I can put some money in to the baby pressie fund for one a colleague who is off on mat leave in a few weeks, am thinking about £10 since thats what most people seem to have put in so far.

Planned spends will be £30.

Also petrol as I'll need to drive to the shop, work and back.

Forgot to get milk while I was in Waitrose earlier too so I'm going to have to either ask the male to get some on his way here later (he's racing a 10k so unlikely he'll remember much beyond his own name in this heat!), or walk to the Express in the morning as I have no intention of getting dressed again now I'm in my pjs!
    Last edited by scubaangel; 01-08-2018 at 7:41 PM.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 2nd Aug 18, 2:17 AM
    • 6,458 Posts
    • 10,410 Thanks
    scubaangel
    The male arrived sat on the sofa and promptly passed out. I think he exerted himself in the race......

I persuaded him in to bed, stayed there myself for an hour or so before deciding that I just wasn't tired enough and have relocated back to the sofa.

Managed to get the elusive 10p on onepoll, so cashed out and am 15p towards my next redemption (which will be a mere £25 down from £40).

Rattled through a few surveys on yougov, although I'm still 1300 points away from cashing out there, and a couple on other survey sites but nothing getting me to a redemption level yet.

Will probably be awake another hour or so but think I need to put the lappy down and find a book to occupy myself instead as I'm a long way behind my goodreads annual reading challenge target - although with a week booked off work I should be able to catch a fair chunk up at the end of the month.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 2nd Aug 18, 7:31 AM
    • 4,861 Posts
    • 16,792 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Well done on the waitrose bargains and enjoy your treatment this afternoon, not jealous at all .
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Debt free and saving for my future
    Long term savings was £10,000 now £5000/borrowed £5000 for new kitchen which I MUST pay back. £5000/£0
    • scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 2nd Aug 18, 2:14 PM
    • 6,458 Posts
    • 10,410 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Thanks PW, they tend to offer up slots at short notice, and its really unusual for them to be in summer although the time is quite late in the day for the therapists, they're normally on days I'm working too although since they stopped emailing out and started using the new comms app I think more people are getting the chance to take part - so few of our staff are sat at a desk all day.

I don't really know what to expect, I don't normally do anything like it so have been googling this morning to check what I need to take with me/what to wear, thrown a bikini in to my large bag as I know I'll be lent a robe if I need one.

While I'm in work I also need to print off a staff booking form, a friend from abroad is coming over here next week and it'd be really good to catch up - although it would be brief, he's got a hotel booked in London but I said I'd see if I could get a room at the friends and family rate at my place to make it easier (he's one of the lucky people to whom budgetting is a minor issue).
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 2nd Aug 18, 7:25 PM
    • 6,458 Posts
    • 10,410 Thanks
    scubaangel
    I'll come back from my lovely relaxed bubble eventually.

Lidl I couldn't find anything much I wanted for dinner that didn't need to be refridgerated so just got the wash powder and decided to try out their copy cat tresemme shampoo as mine is running low.

Went to Mr M's to find dinner and ended up with pizza and a bottle of wine - they have the Mermaizing shower gel on offer so I'll go back and pick some up another day.

Also bought my milk from the local T. Express this morning.

So slightly spendier than I had planned over all (spent about £12 but the shampoo was £1.99 and not planned yet).

But as all spending was from different shops I can upload all the reciepts to the various apps offsetting slightly.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 3rd Aug 18, 12:07 PM
    • 6,458 Posts
    • 10,410 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Booked flights to Scotland, cost more for the weekend than the flights to Tenerife did earlier in the year. Still thats the penalty for last minute decisions like this one.

The male will transfer the cost of his ticket to me over the weekend, and we're discussing how to get to the airport - trains and driving are both an option but I was too sleepy last night to cost both out to see whats cheaper and then discuss which is easier (he always prefers to drive and park whereas I prefer the train when I can!).
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 3rd Aug 18, 2:06 PM
    • 6,458 Posts
    • 10,410 Thanks
    scubaangel
    I redeemed for a $80 paypal payment a few days ago on instagc, its the same points value as the £50 amazon I usually go for. It was just paid and I've transferred the currency in paypal to GBP and withdrawn £59, so its definitely better value to stick with paypal redemptions than amazon for the time being.

Also £4.75 amazon from a study I did last month, added it to my gift card balance and deleted the study link from my favourites.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 6th Aug 18, 12:20 PM
    • 6,458 Posts
    • 10,410 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Bust weekend, so not had chance to update, ended up going home via fast food places two evenings as I was just too busy to go for my break at staff meal times, and what the kitchen was able to offer up as alternatives when I asked was fish both days (which I don't eat).

So thats £10 spent I hadn't planned on

Am having a study day today so trying to focus on maths and english functional skills but struggling. While I'm at it though I have my tablet running s'mores tv on insta, and my pop is running the SB apps - still not happy about their slashing the available points but at least they're quicker to run now so I'm checking vypr more often (and thats paying off in that my points are definitely increasing quicker).
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 7th Aug 18, 7:02 PM
    • 6,458 Posts
    • 10,410 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Went out for dinner with some colleagues yesterday spent £25, on starter, steak, and a couple of drinks each which we thought was really reasonable - although next time we think we'll go to a restaurant belonging the the company we work for to get the staff discount to make it even cheaper.

Walked from the males place, to a friends house to check on their dog, and back via Mr L in town where I bought wine, the ready to eat mini pizzas (lunch today and tomorrow), toastie bread and a tin of sausages and beans to have beans on toast for dinner tonight and probably tomorrow as well.

Got a load of washing in to I can get my work shirts washed and ironed, and then will likely do a load of sports stuff as I have a fair bit waiting to be washed.

Planning to cycle to the pool tomorrow afternoon, start to get some proper use out of my new membership.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 9th Aug 18, 1:54 PM
    • 6,458 Posts
    • 10,410 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Swam with a friend which was lovely, although I drove rather than cycled as I had to get elsewhere afterwards.

Remembered this morning that I had activities to complete on a community which ends soon so logged in and finished 10 activities, and found that it's meant to close tomorrow so really glad I remembered! I've already got about £16 of points with them so the extra will be nice and handy once they calculate the value of them.

Managed to hit my SB first target fairly quickly yesterday and today, so have concentrated on instagc, made the 100 bonus points yesterday so then turned my attention to email surveys. Today I'm struggling to get credits for the bonus points so haven't moved on to email stuff yet - I've about an hour before I have to get ready for work so likely wont get close today but its always worth a try!
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 9th Aug 18, 2:57 PM
    • 6,458 Posts
    • 10,410 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Just managed to cash out £5 pp from vypr and $10 from an app connected to my fitbit. Never too keen on the looks of the balances straight after a cash out so that should motivate me to check vypr more often and move more to increase my fitbit activities to increase my daily points although at an average of 100 points a day it feels like it takes ages to hit the 10,000 points for the $10 no matter how active I am!
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 13th Aug 18, 7:09 PM
    • 6,458 Posts
    • 10,410 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Money cashed out has landed in and been bounced out of my paypal in to the bank.

Went for a swim this evening, first attempt with my new tow float, didn't carry anything in it but think it'll actually be more comfortable to swim with when it does have some weight in it - I think I can get to the lake again on Friday so I'll take my phone and blue tooth speaker (I'm thinking I might swim with them in the event to stave off boredom).
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 17th Aug 18, 2:23 PM
    • 6,458 Posts
    • 10,410 Thanks
    scubaangel
    The final £5 landed in paypal from my cash outs the other week so has been bounced out in to the bank.

Had a good couple of days on qmee, so have cashed out a couple of pounds from them, will transfer it later today.
    Still waiting for the onepoll money to arrive in the bank.

The male is taking me out for dinner tonight so my shopping this week for my days off was less than £10 - it would have been less but I treated myself to a lazy dinner of pizza last night rather than continuing my freezer and cupboard emptying plans.

So two ready to eat pasties, the pizza, ingredients so I could (and have already) make brownies as a treat, an on offer multipack of crisps, and a piece of reduced cheese. None of them were on offer via the apps so the only cashback is the 1p for the clicksnap comp and the eventual points redemptions on receipt hog, shoppix, shopprize, bigdl and snap my eats.

Plans for the rest of the day include cleaning out the fish tanks - both are in need of a good clean, did small water changes earlier in the week but need to give the filter sponges are rinse through as both filters are seeming less powerful than I'd like.

I then need to go in to town before I head to the males for our date, he's after a new running jacket as someone told him there are some good ones on offer in a local shop - if they have them I'll get him one and I'd been wanting one myself for a while as mine is now paperthin, not water resistant at all and the hi-vis reflective bits have pretty much fallen off, but it is over 7 years old so not entirely unexpected!
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 17th Aug 18, 3:39 PM
    • 6,458 Posts
    • 10,410 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Went for a shower and decided to clean the loo and have another go at the stubborn mold in the bath sealant, loo is better but I've been saying for a while I need a new toilet brush and keep forgetting to pick one up.

But I've also kept saying I should replace it with a good quality one - too many of the things I have in the flat are cheap buys that weren't meant to have been kept as long as they have. I have points to spend on the homescan panel, I had been looking rather lovingly at the Le Creuset cookware but given how infrequently I cook decided to order the Joseph Joesph toilet brush instead. It's not exciting or something I can "show off" when people ask why I do the scanning but given it meets my criteria of being decent quality, not stainless steel, and has cost me nothing.

It does rather leave me questioning who on earth pays the full RRP of £26 for a loo brush though?
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

173Posts Today

1,679Users online

Martin's Twitter