Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 14th Dec 14, 4:06 PM
    • 6,393Posts
    • 10,350Thanks
    scubaangel
    Scuba's Saving the Ha'Pennies
    • 14th Dec 14, 4:06 PM
    Scuba's Saving the Ha'Pennies 14th Dec 14 at 4:06 PM
    After my somewhat unpredictable last year I have moved back to the South and am starting my debt free journey from a new start point.

Last year I was unemployed for almost 8 months which unhelpfully coincided with the things I had organised before my unemployment and I didnt want to cancel (the wedding of one of my best friends, my annual trip to Twickenham for a rugby match among them) so my debt managed to increase but not massively.

Unfortunately once employed I left my permanent job after 4 months as I hated it to move back to the Surrey area, which then coincided with a series of somewhat inconvienient events which have conspired to cost me more money than I was happy about - making my very happy I hadn't used the salary I was saving to pay off debt like I should have been doing.

So 4 weeks after making the move for my new job (which I still love despite some tough days) I am getting the keys to my new house tomorrow lunchtime and it's time to start working out a new budget.
    Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
Page 51
    • scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 15th Oct 17, 9:31 PM
    • 6,393 Posts
    • 10,350 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Had enough studies approved so I can withdraw £20 from prolific, I've requested it to circle as it has no fees, still got £7 in there from snatch prizes so at some point ill link it to my bank and withdraw it all.
    Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 31st Oct 17, 7:13 PM
    • 6,393 Posts
    • 10,350 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Not alot been going on lately, a few more £1 wins from snatch. Another £5 from vyper, and £1 from panel app. Getting close to cashing out on a couple of survey sites but not quite there yet.

I need to start thinking about the C word as I know I won't be going home for it so need to sort out either buying and posting things or arranging with my family to do it in the new year when I can get time off work and Mum's back in the UK.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 19th Dec 17, 6:22 PM
    • 6,393 Posts
    • 10,350 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Still not doing a whole lot other than working and running.

Cashed out £100 from swagbucks as a mastercard, waiting for that to arrive then I can transfer it in to paypal.

Since my last post I've done three 10k events, a half marathon and have one more 10k planned for this year.

I've booked three 10k road runs for January and am contemplating a trail event on the same weekend as one of them.

Still plodding away with the surveys when I have enough time to sit at the laptop, and am 20 books away from my goodreads target for the year so looking for the novellas on my kindle and ibooks to supplement the goodreads giveaway wins.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 13th Feb 18, 11:06 PM
    • 6,393 Posts
    • 10,350 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Can't believe its been so long since I updated.

Not that alot has happened.

Lots of working, a couple of weeks visiting my Mum in Tenerife (she has a bad back and couldn't fly home when they planned to so paid for me to fly out to visit instead), and not alot of running.

Couldn't get to two of the three runs I had booked for January, late shifts at work and they had a really early start. But I got a ballot place for the Royal Parks Half in October so I have something to work towards. I've also booked the three Henley swims (Classic, Mile, and Club to Pub) in July. Just have to book appropriate days off work.

The male thing is finding this years marathon training better than last year - he changed the training program from 5 days a week to three and is generally less grumpy and much nicer to be around as well as hitting PB's when he goes out to race.

Debt wise I'm still pretty much stood still. New tyres on the car and the trip to see Mum mean I've not been able to make particularly large extra payments although after Nana passed I have got a reasonable size inheritance which is currently saved - it won't pay off my debt and while I'm not yet 'promoted' at work I'd rather the cash in the bank. I also need to review the money I'm putting aside to pay the lump sum for my car next summer, I need to make sure that I have enough to pay it off at the end of my finance.

Work wise, I'm still enjoying it, finding it really rewarding 90% of the time and the other 10% its frustration or boredom. The company have started advertising two internal training opportunities which my manager has said both would be beneficial if I can get on them. One is a new one day course which if I can get a spot could either be really useful or a total waste of time as it's a new course so the first people to attend are the guinea pigs. The other is an extended course, about 8 days spread over about a year with some online/at home study to do alongside - that one I have to apply for through my manager so I have the form with me put on the desk ready for Friday. I'm also booked on another 1 day course, but the date hasn't been confirmed yet.
    Feels rather odd to work for an organisation who actually follow through on training for their staff.....

Hopefully at my next review I'll either get the promotion or at the very least get more guidance as to where I'm still not quite up to speed - I know what my weaknesses are and what I need to work on I'm hoping that my management team don't have too many other areas for me to work at!
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 15th Feb 18, 12:16 AM
    • 6,393 Posts
    • 10,350 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Got a £20 Mr S voucher this morning from a survey site.
    Strange evening at work but resulted in my team and I taking home a nice foldy money tip so it was worth while as well as getting away earlier than we expected to.

I've got a box of books to drop off for ziffit too, as well as having collected a couple of bigger boxes from work to try and get rid of a few more in my next attempt (including some bigger "coffee table" type books). Hopefully it won't be raining too much tomorrow so I can make the walk from the males house before work.

I need to do some shopping at some point too - am in need of new tights for work, and by the time I have my next day off will be in desperate need for fresh milk, although as I've worked today himself and I have decided we'll treat ourselves to a date night so at least I only need to sort out lunch for a couple of days.

Unfortunately that plan is hampered by the fact I currently have no debit card, somewhere along the line my card details got in to the hands of scammers, thankfully my bank didn't let them take any money but it could be Monday or Tuesday before I have a new card - make the foldy tip even more valuable to me tonight!
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 16th Feb 18, 12:13 AM
    • 6,393 Posts
    • 10,350 Thanks
    scubaangel
    A smaller foldy tip was pushed in to my sweaty grateful little hand earlier, felt like I hardly worked for this one though as I wasn't working in my normal role so spent the shift as the gopher for the regular staff.

A couple of payments have landed in paypal this week so I've just withdrawn them, they'll cover the minimum payments on my cards still due this month meaning once I get my new debit card I can use the money in my current account to pay off extra which is a good feeling since it seems like ages since I was denting the balances beyond the minimums!
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 16th Feb 18, 5:01 PM
    • 6,393 Posts
    • 10,350 Thanks
    scubaangel
    New debit card has arrived, and not a moment too soon!

Went to fill up the car and put 41.25 litres of petrol in to a 42 litre tank.

Couple of days off now, so out for dinner tonight with the malecreature then hopefully a lazy day tomorrow.

The two foldy tips have been deposited in my savings tin.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 17th Feb 18, 10:24 PM
    • 6,393 Posts
    • 10,350 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Lazy day has been appropriately lazy.

Went to the cinema this afternoon and saw Early Man, it was a typical Aardman film, although surprisingly about football.....

This afternoon have had two £5 mastercard codes, one I transferred to paypal the other I realised I could add to a paypal account as a funding source and transfer that way - net result the first one cost me the 37p fee the second didn't.

Little bit worried about my fighting fish, he seems quieter than normal, although he's also built himself an impressive bubble nest since I did a water change last night.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 21st Feb 18, 2:49 PM
    • 6,393 Posts
    • 10,350 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Fighting fish back to normal.

Another lovely foldy money tip given to me and my team, my part has been popped in the tin.

Other than that not alot happening, busy few days at work and looking forward to another day off which will coincide with the chance to spend time with the male.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 3rd Mar 18, 2:43 PM
    • 6,393 Posts
    • 10,350 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Busy busy at work still, despite the weather meaning there were cancellations still plenty to get done.

I've cashed out £5 paypal on two different apps in the last few days attapoll who paid almost immediately and shoppix who haven't paid yet (although I only claimed it this morning).

Shopmium have got coffee on offer again so I picked up two of the packs of coffee bags when I saw them in Mr T, so thats £7 of coffee which will have cost me £3 (the offer is try them for £1.50), if I see the third variety I'll grab a pack of those too as the filters I bought for the coffee dripper just keep splitting which is really annoying me - have got in touch with where I bought them from to complain - but with no pre work coffee I'm not a nice human......
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 14th Mar 18, 5:42 PM
    • 6,393 Posts
    • 10,350 Thanks
    scubaangel
    The fish are still causing me to worry.

The filter in the Fighting fish tank broke so I replaced it with a PF mini, which is definitely too powerful, poor thing just gets flung around in the currents, so I'm trying to find another alternative filter for a small nano tank ideally with a built in flow adjuster.

My other tank which by now I was hoping to be putting extra fish in to is essentially on hold until the two Electric Blue rams I bought for it are sorted out, I bought a pair, but one gets stressed easily - when I do water changes it spends the next couple of days acting lethargic near the surface which is awkward as EBR's need super clean water so I need to do weekly small changes - then the second one started to bully the stressy fish causing it to spend all its time near the surface trying to hide behind leaves and then started to lose its bright colours. So I've had to put the bully fish in to a hatchery net while stressy fish gets its confidence back and starts to look happy again.

So far they've been segregated for a week, stressy fish is slowly starting to spend time in the front of the tank, but if it sees/senses movement in the room it goes straight back to hiding behind the planted bog wood. It's colours seem to be returning too but I need to do a water change in the next day or so which I'm aprehensive about in case it reacts the same way again. I also don't want to leave the bully fish netted too long, but I'm hoping once I let it out stressy fish won't be too easily chased off.

Work wise I've done the two one day courses, and the assessment for the long course.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 23rd Mar 18, 1:31 AM
    • 6,393 Posts
    • 10,350 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Got a place on the long course, so I'll hopefully in a little over 12 months be the holder of an actual work related qualification (beyond the ability to smile while wanting to slap people and do a really good swan act while making my waiters run around fixing problems while I pacify organisers!).

Stressy and bully fish are still segregated, water change was done and stressy went straight back to listlessness at the surface for a few days. Will be going down to the shop I bought them from next week I think to see if they have any advice.

Money wise, some came in more left as usual. So pretty much in a holding pattern until payday.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 31st Mar 18, 1:53 PM
    • 6,393 Posts
    • 10,350 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Fish shops advice for the two fish was a bigger aquarium. While I didn't like the feeling that the guy was angling after selling me one while I was in the shop it does tend to agree with advice elsewhere online, but other suggestions were adding more plants - so I went to pets at home and bought two plants with roots which I've split in to four clumps and planted around the tank to break up sight lines - and adding some small schooling fish so I've also now got four Coral red pencilfish, and then released the bully fish.

So far other than a few small squabbles the Ram's seem to be behaving themselves, and being a few weeks older it's easier to tell them apart now and it does look like Bullyfish is male from his sleeker profile, while Stressyfish I think is female, as it's a little plumper with a pinkish belly.

In money news... well lets not go there. Between another two new tyres thanks to an inconsiderate neighbour using the carpark for joinery, the money spent on the fish, plants, new filter for the Betta, and doing three days out of work at other venues which I've not got my fuel money back for yet April is going to be very very tight!
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 20th Apr 18, 4:10 PM
    • 6,393 Posts
    • 10,350 Thanks
    scubaangel
    I was right April has been horrendously tight money wise. But I'm juggling it reasonably well!

Fish have been pretty good, no issues in either tank (grumpy red idiot has another new filter thanks to the previous one failing the latest one seems to be more suited to his nano tank and preference for a low flow).

Money wise......

It was my birthday so I got cash from pretty much all my family, I bought three new sports bras, a pair of running capris and a vest top.

I've also bitten the bullet and reactivated an old mystery shopping account, not a company I particularly liked working for but fastest finger first assignments so I can ease myself back in to it.

I got a £20 sainsbugs voucher from a survey site a few weeks ago and decided that today was a good time to go do the top up shop I had it earmarked for. So loo rolls, tea bags, stain remover for my work shirts, dinner tonight and a couple of items which were on cash back apps cost me £20.70 in total, so 70p cash and I'll get £3.40 back from the apps.

One of our meeting rooms after a conference left had a pile of "Goals and habits" pads left behind, so I've brought one home and have set myself the tasks for next week. It has 3 goals, boxes for the steps to achieve it and a habits tracker with a line to write in what the reward is for those.

So for accountability. My three goals are
    1. Get rid of some more of the books from my living room floor.
    *scan them for ziffit
    *redownload webuybooks
    *charity shop proof copies
    * bulk listing on local facebook, shpock and gumtree

2 Wardrobe clear out
    * old work skirts to be given to a pregnant team member shes skinnier than me so they might fit her later in the pregnancy
    * pull the box of belts out from under my bed, can't remember last time I wore most of them and throw out the really worn ones.
    * pull out from under my bed my old military kit bag, its full of stuff that either doesnt fit or I cant remember why I have it. Work out what to keep.

3. Earn and cash out a minimum of £10 from survey sites
    I'll concentrate on instant or near instant payment apps for this so
    *qmee
    *attapoll
    *citizen me
    *vypr
    then at the end of the week if I've not hit £10 I'll cash out £5/£10 from swagbucks

My weekly habits
    Swim 1500m - I've found it too easy lately to not go to the pool or when I do stop after 1000m, not good enough with the start of the o/w season!
    Check the mystery shopping site daily.
    Finish getting rid of the food products I bought as buy backs earlier in the year.

The rewards for now I'm trying to keep as cost free so improving my fitness, getting more work thus more money, and having more space and a tidier home.

I've started setting next weeks goals too but they're pencilled in to a list else where for now.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 7th May 18, 1:27 PM
    • 6,393 Posts
    • 10,350 Thanks
    scubaangel
    The goals plan is working quite well. But I struggle with weekly challenges as I spend so little time at home. The last two weeks I've been here for 3 nights, and only yesterday was a day off where I had no plans (although I went to work for a few hours overtime to help another dept).

Been a touch spendy too, all on the credit card, paying for event entries for this summer.
    So I'm now all signed up for the three lake swims at my Reading venue - Doggy Paddle, Full Moon, and Small Fry (all 1500m swims), The Greater Manchester Swim (a mile in Salford Quays), Hard as Snails, and Harder than Snails (10k train runs), The Breakfast Run (11.6k trail), a local 5k Prosecco Run with a friend which is this week), two more Brutal trail runs, and of course as I paid for them earlier in the year The Royal Parks Half, The Henley Classic, Mile, and Club to Pub swims.

All of which I pretty much bought with special offers and discount codes while they were available.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 7th May 18, 1:35 PM
    • 6,393 Posts
    • 10,350 Thanks
    scubaangel

So for accountability. My three goals are
    1. Get rid of some more of the books from my living room floor.
    *scan them for ziffit
    *redownload webuybooks
    *charity shop proof copies
    * bulk listing on local facebook, shpock and gumtree

2 Wardrobe clear out
    * old work skirts to be given to a pregnant team member shes skinnier than me so they might fit her later in the pregnancy
    * pull the box of belts out from under my bed, can't remember last time I wore most of them and throw out the really worn ones.
    * pull out from under my bed my old military kit bag, its full of stuff that either doesnt fit or I cant remember why I have it. Work out what to keep.

3. Earn and cash out a minimum of £10 from survey sites
    I'll concentrate on instant or near instant payment apps for this so
    *qmee
    *attapoll
    *citizen me
    *vypr
    then at the end of the week if I've not hit £10 I'll cash out £5/£10 from swagbucks

My weekly habits
    Swim 1500m - I've found it too easy lately to not go to the pool or when I do stop after 1000m, not good enough with the start of the o/w season!
    Check the mystery shopping site daily.
    Finish getting rid of the food products I bought as buy backs earlier in the year.

The rewards for now I'm trying to keep as cost free so improving my fitness, getting more work thus more money, and having more space and a tidier home.

I've started setting next weeks goals too but they're pencilled in to a list else where for now.
    Originally posted by scubaangel
    So to update this.....

Books.

Something of a fail. Ziffit only wanted £3 worth of the books sat there.
    Webuybooks only £2.

I have however read and donated two proof copies so they're out the flat even if the over all pile of books on the floor has grown.

Wardrobe.
    I gave my colleague two of the skirts, I've kept a couple in case I need them as the turn around on dry cleaning the new uniform is 3 days.
    I didn't touch the belt box nor the kit bag.

App earning.

I actually achieved that one quite easily as I reached 100 questions on Enlightly, so got the £7.50 bonus as well as the earnings from questions.

I also reached 10k points on vypr so got the £5 from there and a couple of £1 cash outs from qmee.

As for my others.

I didn't have time to swim - the one evening I had off the pool was closed my regular session time.
    Not coming home I couldnt check the ms site daily as it wont let me log in on my tablet.
    I did empty a couple of the buyback products when I was putting the bins out as there was space in my food waste bag but not all of them as I don't want to use all my compostable bags on the buy backs.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 10th May 18, 4:42 PM
    • 6,393 Posts
    • 10,350 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Went for a swim at the nearest lake last night, felt so good, did 1200m and really enjoyed it, unlike my last few pool swims where I've been bored within the first 400m. Just need to maintain my enthusiasm for getting over there since its a bit of a pain traffic wise in the evenings unless I've been at work.

Going to do a 5k run/walk tonight with my friend, she wants to work on her fitness and decided she fancied it so I'm going too - not sure from the info on the website if its laps or one loop, if its laps am tempted to run my 5k then go around again to catch up with her, if its just one loop I'll just do it with her.

Of course none of this has been free. But it hasn't cost me too much, the swimming came out of my tips purse, and the run from money in paypal.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

57Posts Today

2,323Users online

Martin's Twitter