Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aunty-Pickle
    • By Aunty-Pickle 11th Dec 14, 7:18 PM
    • 433Posts
    • 1,329Thanks
    Aunty-Pickle
    12-24 weeks pregnant (part 4)
    • 11th Dec 14, 7:18 PM
    12-24 weeks pregnant (part 4) 11th Dec 14 at 7:18 PM
    so, this is a continuation of our old thread which can be found here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4890409&page=209

This thread is for all ladies (or partners of ladies) who are 12-24 weeks pregnant.

Welcome everyone!!
    Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock
Page 178
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 4th Aug 18, 8:38 PM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 2,402 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    *Munchkin* you really don't need much! You don't need half the stuff they try to sell you!
    • Bosscout
    • By Bosscout 5th Aug 18, 5:42 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Bosscout
    I'm clueless too, Munchkin - but there are some (always contradictory) lists around on the internet.

Basically, as long as you either have, or can purchase very fast, some clothes, some way of feeding, somewhere to put the baby to sleep, and some sort of shelter then you're already doing okay! Oh - and a way of getting baby home from the hospital, which may mean a car seat, depending on your circs.

I've bought some sleepsuits (and will get more closer to the time - but not loads, because I live near the shops, and can send the OH out to buy more appropriately sized ones once we have baby with us and know how big he is!). A crib - still need to buy a cellular blanket. Am hoping to breastfeed (if for some reason this is impossible, Sainsbury's is right by us and my OH will be dispatched, and before that the hospital isn't going to let the little Sprog starve!!) and we live in a flat! So that's the basics covered

Obviously we have accrued other bits and bobs...who doesn't! But there really isn't much essential, provided you have the ways and means to send someone to the shops for you in those early days. Or if it comes to it, get on Amazon and enjoy some next-day-delivery!
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 5th Aug 18, 8:22 PM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 2,402 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    And so many people buy you new born sized clothes!

One thing I'm going to buy this time that I regret not having last time is baby night gowns:

https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-baby-gots-organic-cotton-safari-bundler-pack-of-2-white-multi/p3407160

Makes all those newborn middle of the night nappy changes so much easier! After about 8 weeks they generally don't poop at night and so nappy changes in the night aren't necessary but before that you pretty much change after every feed!
    • HopHop
    • By HopHop 5th Aug 18, 8:28 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    HopHop
    My SIL has finished having her children now so she's kindly passing on a lot of her old stuff which is amazing. As for the rest of it I don't even know where to begin!
    • NelliePie
    • By NelliePie 6th Aug 18, 9:21 AM
    • 253 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    NelliePie
    Munchkin I feel you! We were out yesterday and ended up having a wander into Mothercare - There are so many options for car seats, pushchairs, carriers, combinations of these, all with sizing options from 0-15 months, 0-4 years and 0-12 years (car seats up to 12 years), etc. And then there's all the extra stuff like Moses baskets, cribs, crib beds, steralisers and clothes. It was a bit overwhelming so we're going to do some research and try to figure out whats going to work for us, before heading out again.

We did have my parents there for advice but i think that made it worse as there's a lot of info to take in and things have changed a lot since they had babies!
    Little One's due date 18/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    FTB June '17 - 144k motrgage
    • Munchkin84
    • By Munchkin84 6th Aug 18, 11:10 AM
    • 316 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    Munchkin84
    It was reading through the buying guide in the bounty pack that did it.
    I have only bought two babygrows and some socks. Maybe once we have had the anomaly scan next week we might start buying more.
    • Munchkin84
    • By Munchkin84 10th Aug 18, 8:59 AM
    • 316 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    Munchkin84
    20 weeks today. Halfway there.
    Hope everyone is ok. I am apart from not being able to stay asleep at night and getting back pain at night.
    Scan on Monday. Which Im half excited and half scared about.
    I really dont know if I have felt baby move. I have had a couple of occasions where I may have felt it but Im not sure. If that makes sense. People keep asking me and I already feel like a terrrible Mum saying I dont know if Ive felt it move.

For anyone who has it, when did you get your Matb1 form?
    My midwife said I will get it at my next appointment with her when I will be 25+6 and my employer needs it by 25 weeks.
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 10th Aug 18, 12:51 PM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 2,402 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    Munchkin you can call your midwife and ask for it sooner, I did that and she did it and just left it at reception for me to collect.

My sleep is getting much better which is good, but my hip has started playing up, need a pregnancy pillow. Didn't get one last time and wish I had.

Starting to fell a bit more normal now too but stomach still dodgy.
    • Munchkin84
    • By Munchkin84 12th Aug 18, 7:35 AM
    • 316 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    Munchkin84
    I dont know if people already know but Aldi has a baby event online today and in store Thursday.
    • sarahj1986
    • By sarahj1986 12th Aug 18, 8:22 AM
    • 1,087 Posts
    • 1,986 Thanks
    sarahj1986
    Hello all

Up early to head into Birmingham and get some new maternity clothes. Even at 13w + 5d my clothes are beginning to get quite tight. I had a bit of a belly on me to begin with (I am not the skinniest) but my belly really has grown already!

I ordered a couple of things online last night but I want to try on a few things today and Birmingham has got several stores I want to go into.
    • Munchkin84
    • By Munchkin84 13th Aug 18, 1:50 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    Munchkin84
    Had the 20 weeks scan this morning. And a whooping cough injection.

Baby is very wiggly. Jumping around all over the place.
    Had to empty my bladder as soon as she started looking as it was full and getting in the way.
    No wonder I have been tired with baby moving around like the energiser bunny.
    Until the time came to see if we can tell the gender. Then the stubborn little monkey lay on its front and wasnt moving for anyone. I wiggled, the sonographer prodded me, I even asked baby nicely to move but nope, not having it.
    So we are still none the wiser.
    I wanted to go buy something pink or blue today but I guess that will wait.
    Seeing the organs and skeleton was incredible.
    Got a lovely little chunky tummy on it too.
    I have to have extra scans so got another at 28 weeks but might go see if I can get a private scan done to find out the gender.
    • selement
    • By selement 13th Aug 18, 6:08 PM
    • 484 Posts
    • 1,916 Thanks
    selement
    Munchkin I wasn't sure I was feeling baby at 20 weeks but then by 23 weeks had definate movements! Mine has been wriggly on all scans too. So you arent alone!
    Trying to lose weight (13.5lb to go)
    • Munchkin84
    • By Munchkin84 13th Aug 18, 8:59 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    Munchkin84
    Just got booted or punched in the belly. Sat watching tv and pressing down on my belly to see if I could feel anything, felt a tiny movement then a massive kick that made me jump.
    Havent been able to feel any movements before
    • Bosscout
    • By Bosscout 13th Aug 18, 10:11 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Bosscout
    I'm 29wks now, but around 21 weeks I suddenly started getting movements I could feel. Now he won't stop - he makes me jump a lot. Although I did laugh when a sudden loud noise made him jump the other day Makes you remember they're real little people in there!

Sainsbury's start their 25% off clothes event tomorrow - includes baby clothes, I believe. We're going to get a few more packs of newborn/0-1 sizes that we can exchange if he turns out to be a big beasty!

Good luck on finding out the gender Munchkin. It was about the only thing we did get at our 1st 20wk scan - he loves to hide all the bits that the sonographers try to look at, whilst waving his willy at the scanner!
    • HopHop
    • By HopHop 14th Aug 18, 9:55 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    HopHop
    Aww I'm really excited to start feeling baby moving! We're telling my dad's side of the family today, they're the main ones who don't know yet, then a few more friends left after. Neither of us are big on facebook so we won't be putting it on there.
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 20th Aug 18, 1:16 PM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 2,402 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    I'd really like it if the second trimester glow and energy surge kicked in now!
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 20th Aug 18, 1:37 PM
    • 3,044 Posts
    • 3,017 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    You guys are a bit later on in the pregnancy so might know more - how soon did you all tell work? And my mum has a superstition that you don't bring a buggy in til it's born. Have you heard the same? Been following the threads for a while. I've only just found out (not been to the docs yet though) but know it's best not to get excited until after week 12.
    roll on end of April 2019 *12 done* = *28 to go*
    • NelliePie
    • By NelliePie 20th Aug 18, 1:48 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    NelliePie
    I told my workplace at 10 weeks because I work in a laboratory and factory so there are lots of hazardous chemicals - I ended up having for an early scan at 10 weeks (due to hyperemesis) so knew everything was ok with baby. It's really when you feel comfortable - I know one who left it until closer to 18 weeks.
    Also don't worry about superstition - they're called superstitions because they're not true!
    Little One's due date 18/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    FTB June '17 - 144k motrgage
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 20th Aug 18, 3:45 PM
    • 3,044 Posts
    • 3,017 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    I told my workplace at 10 weeks because I work in a laboratory and factory so there are lots of hazardous chemicals - I ended up having for an early scan at 10 weeks (due to hyperemesis) so knew everything was ok with baby. It's really when you feel comfortable - I know one who left it until closer to 18 weeks.
    Also don't worry about superstition - they're called superstitions because they're not true!
    Originally posted by NelliePie
    Thank you. That's what I thought lol
    roll on end of April 2019 *12 done* = *28 to go*
    • Munchkin84
    • By Munchkin84 20th Aug 18, 3:53 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    Munchkin84
    I told Work at six weeks as I MC before at six weeks. Seven weeks I had a small bleed so ran out of work to hospital so they understood straight away rather than we spending five minutes explaining.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

852Posts Today

7,537Users online

Martin's Twitter