Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aunty-Pickle
    • By Aunty-Pickle 11th Dec 14, 7:18 PM
    • 432Posts
    • 1,325Thanks
    Aunty-Pickle
    12-24 weeks pregnant (part 4)
    • 11th Dec 14, 7:18 PM
    12-24 weeks pregnant (part 4) 11th Dec 14 at 7:18 PM
    so, this is a continuation of our old thread which can be found here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4890409&page=209

This thread is for all ladies (or partners of ladies) who are 12-24 weeks pregnant.

Welcome everyone!!
    Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock
Page 175
    • Bosscout
    • By Bosscout 7th Jul 18, 6:15 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Bosscout
    Honestly my boy frequently feels like a trapped fart when he's having a rummage about in there. But it's definitely him!

Selement - I have the same on my notes. It's just the sonographers covering their back. I even said to the sonographer it must be harder for her to see everything because I'm fat and she was very polite and said it was just the baby's position, not my belly... In fact, everyone's so polite that I never know if I'm getting standard appointments, or different ones because I'm old and fat! I'm just happy that I feel like they're taking good care of me. And it is totally amazing what they can see on the scans!

I have an extra growth scan at 28wks, at which point they'll decide if I need more growth scans after that.
    • afoolandhermoney
    • By afoolandhermoney 9th Jul 18, 10:12 AM
    • 231 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    afoolandhermoney
    27+4 today (still lurking here, not feeling ready for the big girl thread yet!), still no word on my consultant appointment (midwife has been chasing though) - I don't mind if they decide they don't want to see me, but I just want to know if I need to book any more time off.

Next midwife appointment will now be at 29+4 as I'll also be seeing the mental health nurse (been struggling a lot the last few weeks, I think its mostly that I'm over tired but I'm just not enjoying being pregnant and its getting to me).

Anyone else finding their baby likes doing somersaults (and that that makes them feel really sick)?
    • NelliePie
    • By NelliePie 9th Jul 18, 2:14 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 510 Thanks
    NelliePie
    I had my 16 week midwife appointment last Tuesday and everything was ok and I got to hear the baby's heart beat! It was faint at first but then got louder, which the midwife said was LO floating closer to the sensor. There was a loud bang sound from the monitor - I was a bit worried for a second but the midwife said it was the baby kicking (I don't think I felt it but I definitely heard it!) Then the baby floated away again, so I guess it must not like being probed!

The midwife was concerned about the HG so booked me in to see the doctor on Friday and I've been prescribed ondansetron I have 30 tablets and can take up to 3 per day. I'm starting on one and taking it when I have to get up to pee about 5 am so it's stopped me throwing up first thing. I do feel sick for most of the day still but t least I'm not vomiting. I'm going to try to see if just 1 per day holds it off.

Since hearing the baby kick I think I might have felt it too but not convinced. Sort of a bubbly belly movement like when you've eaten and can feel your stomach move, but fainter and lower down. Not sure if it is or I'm just thinking about it too much as I'm only 17 weeks tomorrow.

Hop you're all doing well!
    Little One's due date 18/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    FTB June '17 - 144k motrgage
    • Munchkin84
    • By Munchkin84 9th Jul 18, 9:53 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    Munchkin84
    Nellie, I bet hearing the heartbeat was amazing.
    We went and had a look at prams today. Way too early I know but we are properly clueless so just having a look and seeing what sort of thing we want.
    And we are still clueless. And still not sure what will fit in the boot of my car.
    Wore a dress today as it!!!8217;s atill so warm (not really a dress girl) and felt like I was showing.
    Said I felt bumpy (if that!!!8217;s even a thing) which is better than feeling fat. Hubby said he thought it was cute that the bump was showing.
    Back to work tomorrow after two weeks off and got my second trimester risk assessment to do.
    Hope everyone is well x
    • Munchkin84
    • By Munchkin84 10th Jul 18, 8:42 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    Munchkin84
    Back to work after two weeks off and my trousers are so uncomfortable. I already bought a size bigger. Feels too early for maternity trousers though.
    • NelliePie
    • By NelliePie 11th Jul 18, 7:16 AM
    • 234 Posts
    • 510 Thanks
    NelliePie
    I hear you Munchkin, I've bought 3 pairs of trousers with elasticated waistbands as an intermediate. Got them all in sales using gift cards we got from the wedding so not feeling too bad about it.

Think of it as an excuse to treat yourself!
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    • afoolandhermoney
    • By afoolandhermoney 11th Jul 18, 2:58 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    afoolandhermoney
    I remember that stage (a bit earlier for me as my bump made itself known quite early on - and is still causing comments on its size), you can get "bump bands" from a lot of places which are designed to hide the gap when you can't keep your trousers done up anymore (though I improvised with long tight fitting vest tops layered under my usual top instead).
    Maternity trousers are soooo comfy though (though over the bump is a bit warm for this weather so I'm sticking to dresses - my legs have been "out" more this summer than I think they have in total before now!)
    • Bosscout
    • By Bosscout 11th Jul 18, 8:02 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Bosscout
    I'm loving my over-bump stuff. Got a few pairs of denim shorts from ASDA which I wear for work, and they're super comfy. And not too expensive!

My bump got uncomfy before I started showing. I had a lot of bloating before my actual bump!

Munchkin - we went to look at prams about 5 times! We were clueless too. But then I whittled down my priorities -
    Small enough to get on buses easily.
    Able to be pushed one-handed.
    Able to move between having the child face you or the world.
    Big basket underneath for all the shopping/baby bits!

So after 'test driving' a whole bunch we've got the Uppababy Cruz. We had a whole morning with a woman in John Lewis showing us other ones, but none of them seemed to have everything we wanted... It's definitely a completely confusing world!

Hope your sickness does improve, Nellie <3
    • Munchkin84
    • By Munchkin84 12th Jul 18, 8:47 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    Munchkin84
    Has anyone had a private scan?
    Theres a Window to the Womb not too far away and I am debating booking a scan as hubby will be away working when I have the 20 week scan.

Are the private scans worth it?
    • selement
    • By selement 13th Jul 18, 7:17 AM
    • 477 Posts
    • 1,912 Thanks
    selement
    My clothes haven't been fitting for a while so I'm living in dresses and leggings. My bump is quite big for 23 weeks! People lol surprised when I say I'm not sure til November and ask if there's definately only 1 baby (yes there is!)
    I haven't bought anything that calls itself maternity yet just normal leggings and some stretchy dresses but I do feel like I'm running low on clothes all the time. Want to keep maternity clothes to a minimum though.
    Trying to lose weight (13.5lb to go)
    • Toots14
    • By Toots14 13th Jul 18, 9:32 PM
    • 261 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    Toots14
    I've been in maternity clothes since 12 weeks no-one believes I'm not due until November. My bump is huge. I'm blaming 2nd child syndrome!

21 weeks today and wrote a list of things we need. It's not complete as I need DH to have a look in the loft to see what we kept from DD but not many big things required.

I was saying to my mum today I'm well chilled out this time but I think it's quite normal for number 2. Plus I kinda know when I'll be having baby with the planned section. It's a weird feeling.
    • Bosscout
    • By Bosscout 13th Jul 18, 9:58 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Bosscout
    Munchkin - we haven't had any private scans. The 4D ones kind of freak me out! I don't like how they look. And as I've had a 12wk, a 20wk, a 22wk, and am due a 28wk and probably a 36wk I didn't think I needed a private one! But if we hadn't found out we're having a boy then we would have gone for a gender scan, as once my OH realised the NHS might not tell us if baby was lying awkwardly/they didn't have time he couldn't bear not knowing However, our boy waves his willy at the scanner every opportunity, so there was no need!

As far as clothes go I also bought some dungarees! They're great and I think I'll be able to wear them post-baby too!
    • afoolandhermoney
    • By afoolandhermoney 16th Jul 18, 10:25 AM
    • 231 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    afoolandhermoney
    selement and toots - I get those comments all the time too "are you sure its just the one in there?" (uh, yes, unless the scans have managed to completely miss a second baby - does that ever actually happen?? - then yes I'm sure), and "are you sure you're not due til October?" (that's the date I've been given but baby could arrive any time from mid-September and still be full term; I think the hot weather has people forgetting just how short the summer actually is). The midwife seems to think I have a "neat little bump" though, so clearly everyone else is struggling to picture just how big you can get at the end - plus I've been making absolutely no attempt to hide it from 12 weeks (though people who hadn't been told still missed it (or at least didn't comment on how fat I was) til about 20 weeks, so it can't have been that big!)

Spent the weekend washing, drying and sorting the baby clothes my friend has given me (and completely forgot to wash the stuff I'd bought and put away "somewhere safe" - so will be doing some more laundry tonight). OH doesn't understand the excitement of seeing tiny baby socks - "they're just socks" he said. I don't think I need to buy anything else in a 0-3month size, so just need to get some little baby stuff (in case it takes after me and comes out barely over 5lbs) and then we'll get some 3-6 month stuff; but will hold off til after my next appointment in case they suggest a growth scan (as we might get a better idea of size).

So far I've only spent about 12 on stuff for the baby (and about 100 times that on extra food for me), and 15 on maternity clothes. Still got to get new mattresses for the moses basket and the cot as well as some sheets, but on the whole its not adding much to our budget just yet)
    • Toots14
    • By Toots14 16th Jul 18, 3:27 PM
    • 261 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    Toots14
    I am back at work today after 3 weeks off sick. I only work 3 days a week but I know it is going to be a struggle. I have today agreed with my boss and HR that I am going to start Maternity Leave on 24th September (I will be 31 weeks by then) but have 3 weeks and 2 days holiday to use before then so I have a week off in August and my last day at work will be on the 4th September.

Last time I started Mat Leave the day DD was born so looking forward to the extended break and rest before no2 comes along!
    • Munchkin84
    • By Munchkin84 19th Jul 18, 10:50 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    Munchkin84
    Just had 16 week midwife appointment and heard the heartbeat . Midwife asked if I thought it sounded like a train or a horse. I said horse which she reckons means baby is a girl.
    Which I think baby is. Dont know why, just have a feeling,
    Hearing the heartbeat had made me feel better as I was getting a little nervous even though my belly is getting bigger.
    Got a recording of it to let hubby listen to.
    Still not sure I believe I am going to be a mummy
    • NelliePie
    • By NelliePie 19th Jul 18, 3:19 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 510 Thanks
    NelliePie
    Munchkin that's such a good idea! I wish I'd done that - I think I'll ask at next time.

My midwife said if the hear beat is fast its a boy and if its slower its a girl (Old wives tale) and little one's 145bmp was right in the middle.

For me hearing the heartbeat made it feel more real - my bump had started to show but could just about be passed of as having a large meal (not any more!) How are you feeling now? Hope you're doing well!

Nothing much to report here other than elasticated waistbands are a godsend. Ondanestron is magic and keeping my morning sickness in check so definitely feeling more alive. I'm actually quite enjoying having a bump (now that it looks more like a bump and less like a big meal) it's a quite nice shape and my OH has taken to talking to it already which is nice.

Hope everyone is doing well
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    • Munchkin84
    • By Munchkin84 19th Jul 18, 3:23 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    Munchkin84
    Today I am absolutely shattered.
    Had a headache all last week but I have felt ok since Monday.
    Sent the recording of the heartbeat to family and everyone loves it.
    Glad the sickness is in check.
    • selement
    • By selement 19th Jul 18, 3:41 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 1,912 Thanks
    selement
    I still haven't heard the heartbeat of mine! I have a midwife appointment next week so hopefully then. Mine don't do it at 16 weeks because they can't always hear it. The recording is a good idea I might do that for my husband.
    24 weeks tomorrow... although the next group seems a bit quiet? Are we all just staying here? Lol
    Trying to lose weight (13.5lb to go)
    • Bosscout
    • By Bosscout 19th Jul 18, 7:30 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Bosscout
    I'm in both groups now

26 wks today! I've only heard Sproglet's heartbeat at scans. He's uncooperative at scans, but he really seems to have something against the doppler! Just kicks it the whole time, meaning all your hear are wild loud noises and no heartbeat.

Hope you feel better soon, Munchkin.
    • NelliePie
    • By NelliePie 20th Jul 18, 9:17 AM
    • 234 Posts
    • 510 Thanks
    NelliePie
    Bosscout - at least you know that if he/she is kicking the doppler then the heart must be beating!
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

106Posts Today

1,221Users online

Martin's Twitter