Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 168
    • LavenderBee
    • By LavenderBee 28th Feb 18, 2:59 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    LavenderBee
    Congrats Mary - got a name picked?

I unexpectedly heard little one's heartbeat for the first time today, was at the hospital and the Dr said she'd have a listen whilst I was there shame I was by myself but still. It was going at 155bpm.

I asked about movements as I've stopped feeling somersaults, but still get kicks, elbows, headbuts, some of which are visible. Apparently they are probably getting to the point where they're running out of room for such exaggerated antics. Feel better for that

I like the sound of the armpit thermometer Freddie, didn't even know they existed, but I'm going to look at them now! I like the idea not only of baby not being able to get blankets over their head, but also having the tog ratings. Gro-egg says put this on baby, so I put it on baby. Easy! I'm always freezing so I'll think that baby is always freezing too.
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 1st Mar 18, 8:59 PM
    • 1,662 Posts
    • 1,767 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    I've had a nice couple of days off due to the weather.

I've cleared the office and today put the cot and chest if drawers together - with help from DS. He pushed the dowels into the right holes and passed me fixings etc.

Then we built a big castle from the IKEA boxes - with a drawbridge

Just a shame that OH still had to go to work!

DS has just turned 17 months - he's getting closer to properly talking all the time. Trying really hard to copy words.

Yesterday he learned how to say 'brother'
    Mortgage remaining: 42,260 of 77,000 (2.59% til 03/18 - 2.09% til 03/23)

Savings target June 18 - 22,281.99 / 25,000
    • LavenderBee
    • By LavenderBee 2nd Mar 18, 4:39 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    LavenderBee
    I want an Ikea cardboard castle with a drawbridge! I've had to work from home all week, very frustrating.

We're getting our nursery bits from Ikea too, going for the Sundvik range, is that what you've got Freddie?

Had my 25 week appointment today, I'm falling to pieces but baby is doing well which is the main thing. I'm going to trawl back through the forum to find the "25 weeks-whatever" thread and re-invigorate it for us. I think it's quite lost now so I'll be sure to put my mining helmet and head torch on.
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 2nd Mar 18, 5:45 PM
    • 1,662 Posts
    • 1,767 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    LavendarBee - the next thread after 24 weeks is the MSE Pregnancy thread.

Our first cot was Sundvik. It's good. EDIT - just checked we also got the Sundvik changing table and wardrobe.

I originally looked at the Stuva changing table and cot but I didn't like the look of them in person. The drawers have silly gaps for handles which let dust in - and it was really hard to reach the drawers underneath because the table was fixed. Rubbish design.

They've recently changed the range - they're all bigger size then when we bought ours.

They still had one of their older cots for sale when we went at reduced price. Was Gulliver I think - only 45. It's nice. Same as our older Sundvik but with bars at the head and foot instead of a solid board.

45 was good for a cot bed!

They didn't have the smaller size mattress but I've ordered a well rated one from Argos for about 30
    Last edited by FreddieFrugal; 02-03-2018 at 5:48 PM.

• LavenderBee
    • By LavenderBee 5th Mar 18, 1:08 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    LavenderBee
    Ah ha - that's why I couldn't see one! I'll go and wave

I noticed that Ikea had changed too, when I first looked a few months ago there was a lot more choice than there is now. I'm guessing that there will be a new range in the near future but not sure we'll wait for it, still undecided about when to order.

I like the concept behind the Stuva things, but I'm a bit of a traditionalist and it's all a bit modern and lime green for me
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 9th Mar 18, 10:26 AM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 7,137 Thanks
    mary hinge
    I've booked my GTT for after easter joys of having family history of diabetes. Good luck to them getting blood.... Twice! - I am rather tight

I am hobberling good and proper at the moment, my hips and pelvis are crunchy waiting on a physio appointment but not hopeful they will be able to do much to help.

I did manage to pick up some bargains in the mother care sale yesterday - 85% of maternity jeans and bras so picked up all i could in our stores slim pickings. Did manage to find plenty for hitch hiker though

How is everyone?
    Living in a superhero induced haze
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 10th Mar 18, 8:11 AM
    • 1,662 Posts
    • 1,767 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    OH has had an awful, stress filled week at work. Got through it though and got a good nights sleep last night.

Charity van came yesterday to collect a bookshelf and large roll top desk from the office.

We've had to do a lot of sorting through books as we had 4 large book cases in the office which need to reduce to one to fit downstairs. I took what must have been at least a hundred books to charity last week.

We're just keeping the children's ones.

The desk was huge and had a lot in it and on top of it so we've had to find new homes for everything.

We're getting there now though.

23 weeks tomorrow. Lots of nice big kicks. Apart from feeling tired, mainly because of stress this week interrupting her sleep. OH is feeling well.

• FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 16th Mar 18, 9:30 PM
    • 1,662 Posts
    • 1,767 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    Had two more growth scan appointment letters through. Got them at 28, 31 and 34 weeks.

OH has pain just under her bump when she's walking - started in the last couple of days, she's in a lot of discomfort tonight.

Didn't have this in previous pregnancy. We've had a look online at Bump belts/bands.

It's probably not helping that we're just so much busier now than we were last time she doesn't have time in the day to exercise. She was doing a lot of yoga previously which will have helped.

• mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 18th Mar 18, 2:34 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 7,137 Thanks
    mary hinge
    Had two more growth scan appointment letters through. Got them at 28, 31 and 34 weeks.

OH has pain just under her bump when she's walking - started in the last couple of days, she's in a lot of discomfort tonight.

Didn't have this in previous pregnancy. We've had a look online at Bump belts/bands.

It's probably not helping that we're just so much busier now than we were last time she doesn't have time in the day to exercise. She was doing a lot of yoga previously which will have helped.
    Originally posted by FreddieFrugal
    Did you get to the bottom of the growth scans Freddie? that is a fair wack of scans to have......

The midwife can refer to physio for the pain, locally it is a information session with up to 8 other mums to be to discuss tips for easing the pain and some strengthening exercises to help. Things like moving with knees together so getting in the car bum first and twisting both legs at the same time, sleeping with pillows between the knees etc....

My Hip is more painful then my pelvis but then I am hypermobile and it seems to slide around and clunk at every oppurtunity Driving more then 10-15minutes at a time is really starting to hurt now and my insides feel like they will drop out if I walk much more than the school run or round the supermarket
    Living in a superhero induced haze
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • babystart
    • By babystart 18th Mar 18, 5:35 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    babystart
    im in 19 week
    I want to buy baby milk and baby items for my baby. I'm investigating. What kind of brand is good, for example, for baby bottles or pacifier
    I realized that Relative to price and quality The rest is better others
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 18th Mar 18, 7:49 PM
    • 1,662 Posts
    • 1,767 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    Did you get to the bottom of the growth scans Freddie? that is a fair wack of scans to have......
    Originally posted by mary hinge
    She has a midwife appointment on Tuesday. First one since getting the scan letters so she can ask then.

Again I'm assuming that it's because DS was born quite small and/or OH was slightly low weight - although I think it was still within ideal range (just)

• afoolandhermoney
    • By afoolandhermoney 20th Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    afoolandhermoney
    Freddie - hope growth scan went ok. My midwife has given me an "individualised" growth chart as they apparently measure the centiles for your bump based on your height and weight (won't get measured for a few more weeks yet though, but it was good to know that they won't be comparing my bump with those of much taller ladies)

I'm 16+1 today, saw the midwife yesterday morning (last minute change of venue as she was also covering appointments for another midwife who was at a birth - at least it means I've now seen inside the Birth Centre at our local hospital).

All good on the blood test results and low risk for chromosome anomalies, sickness is finally easing up noticeably and energy levels getting a bit better (even though I'm not sleeping very well) so I think I am finally getting that glow everyone talks about. Got my appointment for our anomaly scan through too.

Blood pressure was down on what it was at my booking appointment (which probably explains the dizziness this week as its much lower than I'm used to it being) but perfectly normal

Booked the afternoon off after my appointment so I go to enjoy the sunshine yesterday. And OH and I had a little walk around town and a coffee so a mini date-day, which was lovely. Have been feeling that I've neglected him a bit the last few weeks while I've felt so poorly.
    • Bosscout
    • By Bosscout 21st Apr 18, 9:55 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Bosscout
    Hiya! Thanks for popping this thread up to the top of the list so I could find it

It's fascinating how different hospitals seem to deal with the whole merry-go-round of appointments.

I'm never allowed to leave any dept. without having my next visit booked - so got my anomaly scan booked at my 12 wk scan, for 3 more midwife appts. booked at my booking-in one. There's huge signs on every door saying 'Do not leave until you have your next appointment booked'!

Still, I'm getting to know my way around a bit now.

Afoolandhermoney - I'm glad you're feeling a little better! And that the results are all good so far.
    • afoolandhermoney
    • By afoolandhermoney 23rd Apr 18, 10:35 AM
    • 188 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    afoolandhermoney
    Bosscout - that's great that you have your appointments booked in already. I would normally have had my next midwife appointment booked before I left but they are having a change in their shift patterns between now and my 25 week appointment so although I know what week I'll see her she couldn't confirm which day.
    I'm also finding that the "cross border" issue comes in a lot with appointments - my GP surgery is in England but I live in Wales so after my booking appointment with the English midwife I was transferred to my home nation's service and had an extra booking appointment with them!
    • Bosscout
    • By Bosscout 23rd Apr 18, 9:46 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Bosscout
    Oooh, the cross-border stuff must be a bit of a nightmare!

I'm sure I've still forgotten things I'm meant to do - the booking appt is such a barrage of info.

I now have Midwife, Obstetrics (found a heart murmur, I've no idea what they're going to do about it, letter just says to go in), scan and physio appointments lined up. My poor boss is going to forget who I am - and I'm on a massive deadline with the project I'm doing at work - luckily he's got kids himself and is very supportive!

Wish you luck with getting all yours sorted.
    • Bosscout
    • By Bosscout 25th Apr 18, 8:49 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Bosscout
    So yesterday at work something in my back went 'pop' and I'm in agony... got sent home.

Have a doctor's appt today because I have no idea what I can do, now my usual option of 'take a bunch of ibuprofen and try to get on with life' is no longer on the table!!

Sounds stupid, but I hope having so much muscle tension around my hips/middle doesn't bother the sproglet... guess I'll ask the doc for some reassurance.
    • afoolandhermoney
    • By afoolandhermoney 25th Apr 18, 1:25 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    afoolandhermoney
    Oh Bosscout, hope you're feeling better soon and that its nothing serious. It is pants when you can't take the usual painkillers isn't it.
    • Bosscout
    • By Bosscout 25th Apr 18, 2:38 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Bosscout
    Thankfully the doc said it's a torn muscle or ligament, not a slipped disc! So I have some exercises to do and he's given me orders to take 2 paracetamol (honestly, even though I've seen things saying it's fine, I was too scared to!) Have also told work I'm coming back tomorrow but just to sit quietly and get through a backlog of easy desk work I've built up recently, no running around the workshop or tackling large scale items!

Also luckily I have my Obstetrics Physio assessment next Tues, because two of the discs in my back degenerated when I was in my early 20s and are completely missing now, so they wanted to keep an eye on me as my belly grew So that's quite good timing!

(Still worried about my little passenger, though. Because I'm so symptom-free, and haven't yet 'popped'. I'm assuming I'm now going to be worried until I start feeling movement, tbh)
    • afoolandhermoney
    • By afoolandhermoney 26th Apr 18, 8:31 AM
    • 188 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    afoolandhermoney
    Definitely take it easy for a few days - have you had a risk assessment at work yet? Mine have warned me off any heavy lifting and although I feel a bit helpless getting others to move any delivery parcels I know its for the best as picking up anything seems to put too much strain on my hips/back now.

I "popped" really early and have had comments on the size of my bump for about a month now (17 weeks today). I think worrying is now just how things will be, I worried I wasn't really pregnant til I was sick; then I worried that it wasn't really morning sickness and just something else til I had my scan; now I'm worried about how big my bump is getting and that I've not felt anything yet (even though I know its too early and could be weeks before I feel anything as its my first); I'm sure I'll find something else to worry about after that (probably whether baby is moving enough!)
    • dpearson86
    • By dpearson86 26th Apr 18, 10:19 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    dpearson86
    Hi everyone, I!!!8217;m 15 and a half weeks pregnant.

Our first pregnancy and my boyfriend is beside himself with excitement, it!!!8217;s been great seeing his excitement growing and finding out how much he!!!8217;s been reading about how baby is developing and how my body is changing.

I wondered if people could advise me on any courses I can do to help me prepare as I!!!8217;ve unexpectedly found myself with loads of free time - I!!!8217;ve been off work since I was 9 and a half weeks pregnant and sadly it looks like I won!!!8217;t be going back until after my maternity leave, if I decide to go back and I!!!8217;m leaving towards not but all depends on what happens at work. They are very anti pregnancy there (had to inform them early due to an unsafe environment), and I got the union involved because after informing them I was pregnant the behaviour from them changed and was disgusting. I!!!8217;ve received an apology from HR from the ownership company (they are based in a different part of the country to my office) but they are still deciding what to do regarding the members of staff and management involved but they!!!8217;ve given me the option to stay at home on full pay until my maternity leave finishes because of how serious it was which I think will be the safest option.

Anyway, sorry for unloading so much in my first post, thankfully everything babywise is going really good.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,592Posts Today

9,419Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin