Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,888Thanks
    zippychick
    Preparing for Winter V
    • 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    Preparing for Winter V 26th Nov 14 at 11:48 AM

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you've come through to this discussion from this week's email, welcome to the MSE Forum. You've joined our Old Style MoneySaving forumites chatting about how to prepare for winter.

Read below, read the last few pages of the discussion to see their most recent posts and click "reply" to join in. If you haven’t already joined join the forum to reply.

Back to zippychick's original post...

-----

Hi everyone,

As the last 'preparing for winter' thread has now grown quite long, I think it's time for a new one, and what better time of year to begin to prepare than the end of November

So here goes....a shiny new thread. Please post below all your preparations for winter. If you want to read through the tips on the older threads you can find them here:

Preparing for Winter

Preparing for winter II

Preparing for winter III

Preparing for winter IV

Other links that may help:

the ice man cometh! (merged with keeping warm)

Things that worked or didn't work last winter

Frugal but happy in winter?

Winter checklist

Lets hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 1:35 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 148
    • FrankieM
    • By FrankieM 6th Nov 18, 6:15 AM
    • 2,118 Posts
    • 19,441 Thanks
    FrankieM
    My boiler has been broken for the last week so no heating and I've found it okay.

Because I have throws and a hot water bottle and an electric blanket, I haven't really noticed it (just the odd day) I may keep it off once its fixed! lol

I open my bedroom window first thing and close it before I go to work. It's good to give the room an air
    Pay off Debt by Christmas 2018 #59
    £13,406.26/ £4,983.43
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 6th Nov 18, 8:41 AM
    • 8,404 Posts
    • 29,530 Thanks
    Primrose
    We all know how invigorated we can feel, even after a very short spell out in the fresh air in winter. No reason why we can't have the same feeling indoors by opening a few windows, even for a short time. I suspect some of us perhaps don't realise how much the lack of fresh air impacts our brains. People complain about the air being recycled in planes on long flights yet unless they open windows in their house, they're submitting their lungs to exactly the same process.
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 6th Nov 18, 9:23 PM
    • 1,419 Posts
    • 9,209 Thanks
    Living proof
    We all know how invigorated we can feel, even after a very short spell out in the fresh air in winter. No reason why we can't have the same feeling indoors by opening a few windows, even for a short time. I suspect some of us perhaps don't realise how much the lack of fresh air impacts our brains. People complain about the air being recycled in planes on long flights yet unless they open windows in their house, they're submitting their lungs to exactly the same process.
    Originally posted by Primrose
    I open my shower room and bedroom window for most of the day. In summer other windows as long as I am in the room, otherwise all sorts of unwelcome visitors would enter! I very rarely see any of my neighbours doing the same, even in the height of summer. They seem to live in hermetically sealed homes.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 7th Nov 18, 7:24 AM
    • 8,404 Posts
    • 29,530 Thanks
    Primrose
    It's obviously counter intrusive for many people to do this in winter when heating is expensive and not to be wasted but we don't have our heating on at night so this is a good time to open all the upstairs bedroom window slightly to get a good draught of fresh air coursing through the house. Then as soon as we get up when the heating has come on we close them.

On milder autumn and winter days, our patio door will be left open for a while and the kitchen door is also left partly open.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 7th Nov 18, 1:55 PM
    • 6,602 Posts
    • 101,120 Thanks
    fuddle
    I won't be shovelling any snow this winter and DH works long hours so he won't be doing it either so that leaves a gap in my preps. Salt! I' m onnit.
    Be like a tree.
    Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf.
    Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing.
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 7th Nov 18, 3:05 PM
    • 1,485 Posts
    • 7,885 Thanks
    MandM90
    House
    - Get curtains up in the living room. Need to paint it first! Decorator starting in 1.5 weeks but need to chose paint colours, and start ord
    [STRIKE]- Have chimney swept,
    - get firewood delivery and firelighters[/STRIKE]
    - Buy scented candles
    - Plug Nest thermostat back in when heating comes on again

- Guttering repaired/clean - Coming thursday
    - Boiler service

- Re-silicone shower and bath
    - Scrub tiles and get rid of icky stuff - Did the tiles in shower at weekend
    - Put electric blankets and throws on beds
    - Ideally, decorate dining room so we can enjoy it for the winter!! - Coming in 1.5 weeks!
    - Wash curtains
    will give away once new ones up
    Car
    - Look into winter tyres
    - Check fluids
    - Clean (just because it desperately needs it!)

Self/Family
    - Box up Summer/Autumn capsule wardrobe and choose items from what I already own.
    - Buy extra tights (only have two pairs)
    - Buy cheapo cold/flu meds (otherwise DH will get sniffles and panic buy a load of branded stuff in London!)
    - Get out winter coats and wash. Put light ones away (I barely wore my lovely mac this summer as was too warm for coats!)

- Mend any things that need mending, replenish moth repellent thingies
    - Sock inventory (DH and DD) - DH has done his
    - Polish shoes and boots, send any to be repaired that need it
    - Reorganise Cupboard Of Shame

Garden - Autumn
    - Do one huuuuge weed before winter
    - Move plants we want to move
    - Cut back/prune plants that need it then
    - Plant spring bulbs
    - Turn off outdoor tap
    - Cover up/put away furniture
    - Change over window box plants to winter flowers
    - Tidy shed

I wonder how much I can whizz through this weekend! The garden is top priority, as we are behind, but also hoping to make paint decisions and start some curtain measuring. Might as well drop by Halfords for free fluid check too!
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 7th Nov 18, 4:07 PM
    • 543 Posts
    • 3,347 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    It's obviously counter intrusive for many people to do this in winter when heating is expensive and not to be wasted but we don't have our heating on at night so this is a good time to open all the upstairs bedroom window slightly to get a good draught of fresh air coursing through the house. Then as soon as we get up when the heating has come on we close them.

On milder autumn and winter days, our patio door will be left open for a while and the kitchen door is also left partly open.
    Originally posted by Primrose
    We lost our cat back in May. Now the weather has turned, I'm noticing how little the back door is being opened.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • beenthere_donethat
    • By beenthere_donethat 9th Nov 18, 9:44 AM
    • 577 Posts
    • 161,494 Thanks
    beenthere_donethat
    I like to have the windows open for a good part of the day - easier done, when I'm the only one here as everyone else thinks it's freezing, rather than crisp

We managed a fair bit of preperation this year. One disappointment however, despite draught-proofing the large sitting room windows, there's still a noticeable draught coming from somewhere and typically, it's at the point where the corner bit of the corner sofa, meets the window
    If you donít follow your heart, you might spend the rest of your life wishing you had.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 9th Nov 18, 10:24 AM
    • 12,806 Posts
    • 177,032 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Woodstove in and functioning and toasty warm as a result when it's running! Solar lights live on the window sill and are kept fully charged, cupboard full of tinned and dried food, many tea lights and thermal base layers.....think we're ready!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 9th Nov 18, 10:27 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 1,323 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    I like to have the windows open for a good part of the day - easier done, when I'm the only one here as everyone else thinks it's freezing, rather than crisp
    (
    Originally posted by beenthere_donethat
    My chap drops me off in town on his drive to work (gives me a good 1-2 mile walk to start my day plus I get all the reduced goods in supermarkets!), and when I get in, any time between 9.15 and 10.30, the first thing I do is open the windows, front and back, so there's a through-draught of fresh air. I pull the covers back to air the bed, and prop the pillows up along the foot of the bed to air.

Even in the bitterest cold weather, I do this for 2-3 minutes - even when my poor chap was off work ill, I bundled him up in bed with shawls round his head and extra blankets and opened the bedroom window wide for 3 minutes!

When we moved in, there was a black mould damp problem in the 1992 flat, and the letting agent was very clear we needed to heat the flat to get rid of it. We don't like hot rooms, and although we're quite happy to use the central heating if we need it, we simply haven't yet needed it (not even when downstairs was un-let and empty!) - but the mould has shrunk to a fraction of what was there, just by us airing the flat properly.
    With the good double-glazing, once we do close the windows, the rooms become warmer quickly, even without heating. We use a Victorian ceramic 'stone pig' hot water bottle in bed, but also as a foot-warmer if I'm sitting still during the day working, or sometimes just placed on the table on a silicon mat to warm the air a little.

Other people's houses do distinctly tend to smell stuffy and fusty to us. Usually with other smells to cover it up, specially the overpowering air fresheners - but oh, nothing beats fresh air as an air-freshener!
    • beenthere_donethat
    • By beenthere_donethat 9th Nov 18, 10:32 AM
    • 577 Posts
    • 161,494 Thanks
    beenthere_donethat
    We use a Victorian ceramic 'stone pig' hot water bottle in bed, but also as a foot-warmer if I'm sitting still during the day working, or sometimes just placed on the table on a silicon mat to warm the air a little.
    Originally posted by Laura_Elsewhere
    I've got a stone pig for the bottom of my bed but never thought about it's use for anything other than that

nothing beats fresh air as an air-freshener!
    Originally posted by Laura_Elsewhere
    I like the fresh air coming in and can notice a difference if either of my girls don't open their bedroom windows.
    If you donít follow your heart, you might spend the rest of your life wishing you had.
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 9th Nov 18, 11:39 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 1,323 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    I've got a stone pig for the bottom of my bed but never thought about it's use for anything other than that
    I think of it as a portable storage heater!

It loses its heat far faster when it's not covered, of course - but it definitely makes a difference to a chilly room, or makes an excellent footwarmer. I put it on a silicon mat to try to reduce how much heat just goes down into the floor.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 9th Nov 18, 10:10 PM
    • 849 Posts
    • 4,447 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    I live in a 60s terraced house with double glazing,my duel fuel bills has just gone up to £134 a month,it was £116 because I wasn't paying enough last year,but they obviously think I'm still not paying enough if they've put it up again
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £1,440 Total Now Owed = £16,190
    Emergency Fund = £300 Xmas savings = £400
    • beenthere_donethat
    • By beenthere_donethat 10th Nov 18, 9:39 AM
    • 577 Posts
    • 161,494 Thanks
    beenthere_donethat
    I live in a 60s terraced house with double glazing,my duel fuel bills has just gone up to £134 a month,it was £116 because I wasn't paying enough last year,but they obviously think I'm still not paying enough if they've put it up again
    Originally posted by Onebrokelady
    Do you set your heat to come on at a certain temperature? Could you reduce it, if so, to lower fuel costs?

I found this interesting:

https://www.first-utility.com/the-blog/ideal-room-temp
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 11th Nov 18, 8:20 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 1,323 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Just so you know...

Forecasting weather in an island like Britain is never easy or simple, so any detailed forecast beyond three days is really only speculation, but... they can forecast overall patterns more dependably and at present, there is increasing agreement between all the different systems that we're likely to have another mild week coming up BUT then sometime in the following week the likelihood is that it will flip abruptly to be properly cold.

So... may or may not be accurate, may be the week after, may even be this week, but I would take the overall message of: you've only got about a week to sort out the cold-weather stuff!

Get those thermals washed, find the other glove, sort out the kids' welly-socks, put up the heavier curtains...!

(and jings, talking of curtains - we've had a couple of early evenings lately out in the car and the number of houses we've driven past with lots of lighted windows and NO CURTAINS drawn! No wonder people's heating bills are going up...)
    • FrankieM
    • By FrankieM 13th Nov 18, 6:18 AM
    • 2,118 Posts
    • 19,441 Thanks
    FrankieM
    My heating has been fixed.

New boiler put in

I've never known the rads so hot, it's lovely. I may even need to adjust the timer switch etc and have it on for less time.

So, I feel all ready for winter now
    Pay off Debt by Christmas 2018 #59
    £13,406.26/ £4,983.43
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    • SpikyHedgehog
    • By SpikyHedgehog 13th Nov 18, 5:45 PM
    • 991 Posts
    • 10,036 Thanks
    SpikyHedgehog
    My heating has been fixed.

New boiler put in

I've never known the rads so hot, it's lovely. I may even need to adjust the timer switch etc and have it on for less time.

So, I feel all ready for winter now
    Originally posted by FrankieM
    I had a new boiler put in this summer (by the housing association so no cost to me :-) but the old boiler had been busy not working since January... ) and a new thermostat downstairs. They come pre-set at super hot and on the assumption that you want heating on every lunch time and all day at the weekend. So it quickly got turned down to something I feel happier with!
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (23), DS2 (15), and the lurcher, 1 hamster and DS1's leopard geckos.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 13th Nov 18, 9:41 PM
    • 849 Posts
    • 4,447 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Do you set your heat to come on at a certain temperature? Could you reduce it, if so, to lower fuel costs?

I found this interesting:

https://www.first-utility.com/the-blog/ideal-room-temp
    Yes it's set to come on at a certain temperature,I don't have it on at all overnight and it's not on when I'm at work,I don't have it on all day I just put it on tomwarm the room then usually turn it down so it goes off again or I get too hot ( one advantage of hot flushes)
    My gas billis never too bad it's the electric that costs the earth,Im hoping the fact that we have gone from a three person household to a two person one will make a difference
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £1,440 Total Now Owed = £16,190
    Emergency Fund = £300 Xmas savings = £400
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Nov 18, 3:54 PM
    • 12,806 Posts
    • 177,032 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Isn't it always the way? we get the stove installed and then the weather outside decided to warm up again! never mind we'll get the p[leasure from it later in the cold season and it's saving fuel every day we don't have to use our logs.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 14th Nov 18, 4:10 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 14,122 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Yes it's set to come on at a certain temperature,I don't have it on at all overnight and it's not on when I'm at work,I don't have it on all day I just put it on tomwarm the room then usually turn it down so it goes off again or I get too hot ( one advantage of hot flushes)
    My gas billis never too bad it's the electric that costs the earth,Im hoping the fact that we have gone from a three person household to a two person one will make a difference
    Originally posted by Onebrokelady

We have the same problem. The elec bills are the worst. I just can't think how to reduce them further without being very deliberate (i.e. not having a brew, not turning the lights on)
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £10,000!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,501Posts Today

7,309Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MarieBlackett: @MartinSLewis Someone asked me if they could ?tappity tap tap? their card once. Made me giggle! As a retail worker I get?

• RT @NyeBeverage: @MartinSLewis I get "tap it" the most, working in a bar. "Ping it" is more common than you think, and makes me giggle.

• When you want to pay by contactless - what do you call it - I always say "I'll just beep it". What's your phrase?

• Follow Martin