Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,888Thanks
    zippychick
    Preparing for Winter V
    • 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    Preparing for Winter V 26th Nov 14 at 11:48 AM

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you've come through to this discussion from this week's email, welcome to the MSE Forum. You've joined our Old Style MoneySaving forumites chatting about how to prepare for winter.

Read below, read the last few pages of the discussion to see their most recent posts and click "reply" to join in. If you haven’t already joined join the forum to reply.

Back to zippychick's original post...

-----

Hi everyone,

As the last 'preparing for winter' thread has now grown quite long, I think it's time for a new one, and what better time of year to begin to prepare than the end of November

So here goes....a shiny new thread. Please post below all your preparations for winter. If you want to read through the tips on the older threads you can find them here:

Preparing for Winter

Preparing for winter II

Preparing for winter III

Preparing for winter IV

Other links that may help:

the ice man cometh! (merged with keeping warm)

Things that worked or didn't work last winter

Frugal but happy in winter?

Winter checklist

Lets hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 1:35 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 137
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 14th Sep 18, 9:26 PM
    • 8,302 Posts
    • 29,049 Thanks
    Primrose
    I saw geese flying a week ago and we're in the south east !
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 14th Sep 18, 10:37 PM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 8,813 Thanks
    Living proof
    Just wondering how much longer I dare leave my tomatoes on the plants before picking them.
    Originally posted by Primrose
    I have dug up several plants on my allotment and then hung them by the roots from a wire in the greenhouse. There are dozens of green fruit on them so I hope I can manage to ripen some of them. A few loose ones in boxes in the shed too.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 14th Sep 18, 11:07 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 799 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    The geese around here are 'on the move' now - no doubt we'll be getting the ones that over-winter from further north around about this time as well. I just know that there's ALWAYS geese around the local park boating lake - just different ones in the winter !

Have to confess to having had the gas fire on for a while this evening - turned it off about an hour ago, not wasting any residual heat before I go to bed.

Had a 'delicious, warming evening meal' tonight - Spicy Turkey Sausage 'thingy' (somewhere between a Chilli and a Casserole), loaded with veggies / kidney beans and served with Pasta.
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 14th Sep 18, 11:29 PM
    • 1,170 Posts
    • 5,995 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Hi Living Proof
    My mum used to make green tomato chutney with any green tomatoes at the end of growing season. You could probably find a recipe online if it would be of any use.
    We have loads of little birds collecting around the coast here ready to fly to warmer places. I love when they start to arrive, because it means autumn is near.
    We are due heavy winds and rain this weekend but itís still relitively warm by normal standards. Iíve plenty of food, candles etc in so Iím hoping it will hold off until I finish work tomorrow.
    As I work in a shop I am going to get my flu jab as soon as possible this year. Handling money means that no matter how much I clean my hands Iím touching other peopleís germs so want as much help as possible to stay well.
    I hope everyone is keeping well and getting prepared for a hopefully not too bad winter.
    TTFN
    Cuddles
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 15th Sep 18, 9:55 AM
    • 142 Posts
    • 1,067 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    We're putting our winter duvet on this weekend - can't remember the togs, but think it's about 10 (iirc, it's about 10, the summer is about 3, and they have tiny buttons and buttonholes to fasten them together to make 13).

In four years living here, we've had a winter where we kept the summer duvet going right through, and a summer where we kept the winter duvet going right through

I've made more than six pints of elderberry syrup, and just in time, it seems, as I have a rotten cold.
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 15th Sep 18, 11:32 AM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 8,813 Thanks
    Living proof
    Hi Living Proof
    My mum used to make green tomato chutney with any green tomatoes at the end of growing season. You could probably find a recipe online if it would be of any use.

Cuddles
    Originally posted by cuddlymarm
    Thank you cuddlymarm - I have made this many moons ago but these days I am trying to avoid sugary things. I found that the cost of all the additives made the chutney rather expensive too. I must also fess up that I have a lifetime's supply of homemade mango chutney made a year or two back!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 15th Sep 18, 11:37 AM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 8,813 Thanks
    Living proof
    Winter duvet and electric blanket going on today. The summer duvet is washed and drying on the line. The dehydrator is going full pelt with courgettes and cherry tomatoes in and next week on the warmer days I am hoping to pick elderberries and rosehips for preserving. The heating is still off but only just, and I am lighting a candle or two every night which does just take the chill off the air and adds that extra touch of warmth. Last year's pointsettia was saved from certain death and has been pampered in the greenhouse and will be going under its' dark cover, like a canary, for 14 hours a day so that it will emerge in December resplendent in red bracts. I may do some ironing this evening just to keep warm!
    • shoei
    • By shoei 18th Sep 18, 9:37 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 498 Thanks
    shoei
    Well it's a blooming horrid, blustery day here. It's not that cold outside but inside our stone cottage it is freezing.

I'm sat here under a blanket whilst I work from home.

I'm wanting to make some draught excludes. I find that fabric ones don't really jam the draught and was considering filling one with cat litter? What does everyone think?
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 18th Sep 18, 9:59 AM
    • 8,302 Posts
    • 29,049 Thanks
    Primrose
    I think the only problem with cat litter is that you will find eventually that the dust from it may come theough the fabric. Could you try finnelling iit, or fine sand into large sealed fizzy pop bottles which would contain it and then slide them into the fabric tube ? Or perhaps first seal the weighting material into thick polythene bags to keep it contained.
    • shoei
    • By shoei 18th Sep 18, 10:46 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 498 Thanks
    shoei
    I was wondering about making it out of old oil cloth and then having a washable cover.
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 18th Sep 18, 1:11 PM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 8,813 Thanks
    Living proof
    It has been a horribly blustery morning which I found quite threatening. I understand from the Press that tomorrow will be even worse, which is really annoying as I have three separate appointments to attend.

Having had my duvet washed at the laundrette very recently I think I should issue a WARNING to thoroughly air the item preferably outdoors to get rid of the chemically smell of whatever they use in the washing process. I have been afflicted badly with an allergic reaction and have had two nights of constant sneezing leading to a runny nose throughout the day. It took me a while to work out the culprit, initially assuming it was from some fine dust which blew back at me when I was emptying the Dyson into the bin. But once I had fully aired the duvet the peppery smell had diminished and the sneezing has ceased. It's probably affected me so much because I use very little powder in the home wash and only use fabric conditioner occasionally so it felt like an assault!
    • RebeccaAnn
    • By RebeccaAnn 18th Sep 18, 2:26 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    RebeccaAnn
    The second-hand curtain is now over the door . It is amazingly thick and heavy, the people said they cost 300 for both pairs new and sold them to me for 20 as they were changing colour scheme. As they are such good quality I hung the shorter set over the other problem window and fingers crossed it helps to stop any draughts as we haven't been able to plug all the gaps.
    I also managed to pick up a bnib electric blanket for £5 so that is on the bed ready for when it gets really cold.
    We have picked up quite a few bargains off fb selling sites now. I can't believe how little people sell things for that have hardly been used or they don't like anymore because of the colour.
    Living proof what kind of candles do you use? I was looking at stocking up but I am really unsure of what works out cheapest and from experience, the burn time varies from what is on the packaging.
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 18th Sep 18, 3:53 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 507 Thanks
    katiepants
    Hi all,

I hope you don't mind but I'm going to follow along with this thread. I really, really hate winter: feeling cold all the time, going to work and coming home in the dark (think I get a bit of S.A.D), constant colds and chest infections. Just can't bear it!

This year in particular I'm dreading it. The glorious summer has definitely turned to Autumn now and I'm not ready

I think I need a plan in place to help me cope a bit better.
    Sealed pot challenge 11: number 594
    • falcieri
    • By falcieri 18th Sep 18, 4:02 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    falcieri
    I have dug up several plants on my allotment and then hung them by the roots from a wire in the greenhouse. There are dozens of green fruit on them so I hope I can manage to ripen some of them. A few loose ones in boxes in the shed too.
    Originally posted by Living proof

Green tomato soup was one of the tastiest things I ever made when I had a short summer one year and nothing ripened. I remember adding canneloni beans and cream but look for simple green soup recipes and you won't be disappointed. Don't let them go to waste!
    • falcieri
    • By falcieri 18th Sep 18, 4:05 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    falcieri
    Hi all,

I hope you don't mind but I'm going to follow along with this thread. I really, really hate winter: feeling cold all the time, going to work and coming home in the dark (think I get a bit of S.A.D), constant colds and chest infections. Just can't bear it!

This year in particular I'm dreading it. The glorious summer has definitely turned to Autumn now and I'm not ready

I think I need a plan in place to help me cope a bit better.
    Originally posted by katiepants

The SAD lamps are great. My mum swears by hers and has been using them for probably 15 years. They extend the light hours each day as the nights draw in and give you that extra boost. Give it a go if you can and if you're suffering really badly.
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 18th Sep 18, 4:45 PM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 8,813 Thanks
    Living proof
    Living proof[/COLOR] what kind of candles do you use? I was looking at stocking up but I am really unsure of what works out cheapest and from experience, the burn time varies from what is on the packaging.
    I have collected candles from car boots and charity shops for many years. When I lived in Scotland they were a necessity as there were regular power cuts, but now they are more for effect. I try and get the most candle for my money and that usually would be a pillar or church type and it's important with these to light them and keep them lit for at least three hours on the first occasion you use them so that they burn evenly. I often have them in the big glass holders so that drafts don't effect them as much, not that I have many these days. I think if you go to a couple of car boots you will find lots but avoid the cheap novelty ones made of paraffin wax as they can leave a sooty mark above where you are burning them. They were all the rage at one time about 15 years ago and it seems a lot of them were never used and maybe given as gifts. My son bought me some Joe Malone ones for Christmas but they will wait for a special occasion!
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 18th Sep 18, 4:54 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 507 Thanks
    katiepants
    The SAD lamps are great. My mum swears by hers and has been using them for probably 15 years. They extend the light hours each day as the nights draw in and give you that extra boost. Give it a go if you can and if you're suffering really badly.
    Originally posted by falcieri

Thanks, might have to bite the bullet and invest!
    Sealed pot challenge 11: number 594
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 18th Sep 18, 5:20 PM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 8,813 Thanks
    Living proof
    Thanks, might have to bite the bullet and invest!
    Originally posted by katiepants
    I got mine in Aldi a couple of years ago so look out for one anytime soon!
    • RebeccaAnn
    • By RebeccaAnn 19th Sep 18, 8:22 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    RebeccaAnn
    I have collected candles from car boots and charity shops for many years. When I lived in Scotland they were a necessity as there were regular power cuts, but now they are more for effect. I try and get the most candle for my money and that usually would be a pillar or church type and it's important with these to light them and keep them lit for at least three hours on the first occasion you use them so that they burn evenly. I often have them in the big glass holders so that drafts don't effect them as much, not that I have many these days. I think if you go to a couple of car boots you will find lots but avoid the cheap novelty ones made of paraffin wax as they can leave a sooty mark above where you are burning them. They were all the rage at one time about 15 years ago and it seems a lot of them were never used and maybe given as gifts. My son bought me some Joe Malone ones for Christmas but they will wait for a special occasion!
    Originally posted by Living proof
    Thank you, I will check out car boots when we go, I have never thoughts of looking for candles when we go to them. I will also have a look for some glass containers. We normally use tealights and I have some ceramic decorative houses Iput these in, they give off a lot of heat but not much light.
    • Doveling
    • By Doveling 19th Sep 18, 10:24 AM
    • 425 Posts
    • 7,476 Thanks
    Doveling
    I made draught excluders out of a length of fabric which matched my decor and some pipe insulation cut to door length.

Using the one piece of fabric, I covered one piece of insulation then left a length of fabric to go under the door then covered another piece of insulation with the remainder of the fabric.
    I didn't stitch one end, just folded in neatly, so the fabric could be taken off and washed occasionally

The draught excluder then moves with the door. We have wooden floors though.

Sort of looks like this O_O

Does that make sense? Not very good at explaining things
    Last edited by Doveling; 19-09-2018 at 10:35 AM.
    Not dim .....just living in soft focus
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

322Posts Today

2,071Users online

Martin's Twitter