Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,888Thanks
    zippychick
    Preparing for Winter V
    • 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    Preparing for Winter V 26th Nov 14 at 11:48 AM

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you've come through to this discussion from this week's email, welcome to the MSE Forum. You've joined our Old Style MoneySaving forumites chatting about how to prepare for winter.

Read below, read the last few pages of the discussion to see their most recent posts and click "reply" to join in. If you haven’t already joined join the forum to reply.

Back to zippychick's original post...

-----

Hi everyone,

As the last 'preparing for winter' thread has now grown quite long, I think it's time for a new one, and what better time of year to begin to prepare than the end of November

So here goes....a shiny new thread. Please post below all your preparations for winter. If you want to read through the tips on the older threads you can find them here:

Preparing for Winter

Preparing for winter II

Preparing for winter III

Preparing for winter IV

Other links that may help:

the ice man cometh! (merged with keeping warm)

Things that worked or didn't work last winter

Frugal but happy in winter?

Winter checklist

Lets hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 1:35 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 136
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 10th Sep 18, 12:50 PM
    • 8,403 Posts
    • 29,529 Thanks
    Primrose
    Using some autumn sunshine to start a few early clearing up jobs in the garden and get in a dose of vitamin D!
    The cabbage white butterflies and wasps still around in their abundance. Just need to find somebody who can do a bulk delivery of manure so I can give the ground and my vegetable patch a good boost over the winter months.
    I keep looking at the garden furniture and wondering when I,m going to have to bite the bullet and pack it away.

When the patio is cleared I,m going to wait for a rainy day, put on my waterproofs and wellies and get out there with some patio cleaner and give the paving stones a good scrub. Probably better done in spring but washing it down afterwards either needs to be done by more rain or before the hose reel gets packed away for the winter. My garden chore list seems to be growing by the day. There is also the fence preserving to be touched up and the bird table to be recoated! Jobs! jobs ! But once they're done I can slump in the armchair and watch the winter weather without feeling guilty.

The trouble with getting older is that when you start gardening again every spring it becomes physically a little harder to get going so I've learnt that getting everything outdoors in good order in autumn and doing a little forward planning makes it a little easier!
    Last edited by Primrose; 11-09-2018 at 1:49 PM.
    • cbsexec
    • By cbsexec 11th Sep 18, 1:04 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 2,020 Thanks
    cbsexec
    Oh yes - I remember those days very well indeed. The best 'eiderdown' in the house was Grandad's 'Great Coat' from WWI

Grandad also made a 'bedwarmer' for my nan. It was one of those old-fashioned biscuit tins - with a round hole in the lid - that 'loose biscuits' were served out of. He 'soldered' the lid closed - cut a small round hole into the base - and then fitted a 'lamp fitting' into the hole, wired up to an electric plug . That would be put into nan's side of their double bed to warm it up before she went to bed with her hot water bottle. Obviously, it got turned off and moved out of the bed to cool down once she was getting into bed. Not sure how H&S would view his invention these days !
    Originally posted by Olliebeak1951
    My dad made us one of these but from an old round metal drum! effective but not from a health & safety point of view
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 11th Sep 18, 7:49 PM
    • 821 Posts
    • 4,259 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Another warm day here,it did rain though
    I'm trying to find an electrician who can get me a new wireless room thermostat for my central heating as the one I have has broken,none of the electricians I have contacted have got back to me,I need to get this fixed before the cold weather arrives but I'm not having much luck
    I'm tempted to order one myself and see if I can programme it to work with the receiver thats already here but I don't want to make a costly mistake,why are some trades people so unreliable
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £1,440 Total Now Owed = £16,190
    Emergency Fund = £300 Xmas savings = £400
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 11th Sep 18, 8:01 PM
    • 8,403 Posts
    • 29,529 Thanks
    Primrose
    I'm trying to find an electrician who can get me a new wireless room thermostat for my central heating as the one I have has broken,none of the electricians I have contacted have got back to me,I need to get this fixed before the cold weather arrives but I'm not having much luck
    I'm tempted to order one myself and see if I can programme it to work with the receiver thats already here but I don't want to make a costly mistake,why are some trades people so unreliable
    Originally posted by Onebrokelady
    Have younchecked your local Council's Trustworthy Traders list or whatever they call it? Traders on there are supposed to be recommended and if they don't perform to standard you can ask the council to remove them from the list, although I suspect they are probably recommended for the quality of the work performed rather than their reliabity in returning potential customer's
    enquiry calls.
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 12th Sep 18, 11:04 AM
    • 1,849 Posts
    • 6,779 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    Originally posted by Onebrokelady
    Why not ask on the DIY thread? I seem to remember them recommending a Wickes one that was diy friendly for about £30 and if not they always give good advice. I did bookmark it but can't seem to find it now, sorry.
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 12th Sep 18, 1:13 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 1,314 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    I've finally shifted into long-sleeves, albeit pushed up Still bare-legged, though, with my skirts and ankle-socks and shoes - much amused to see this "bare shin" as *the* trend for September, acc'g the Guardian newspaper fashion column!

We're moving from salads and cold meat towards more hot meals, or salads with baked potatoes and/or with hot meat. We were both poorly at the weekend and almost cleared the freezer-drawer of the home-made ready-meals, so I have to re-stock that! Sweet-and-sour pork or chicken, a tomato and minced meat pasta dish, pasta carbonara (that one we cheat and simply divide up the big Tesco 4-portion one, as we can't make it any cheaper, and it contains no nasty "ingredients", only things you'd actually have in a kitchen), and soon I'll be getting the slow-cooker going for lamb stew and beef stew...
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 12th Sep 18, 1:48 PM
    • 5,111 Posts
    • 11,629 Thanks
    Money maker
    There's some brushed cotton bedding on offer at Argos at the moment, sorry, no idea why link not working, you'll have to search.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • candlelight 2013
    • By candlelight 2013 14th Sep 18, 5:51 PM
    • 2,468 Posts
    • 25,787 Thanks
    candlelight 2013
    When I stripped the bed yesterday I changed the duvet, so no turning back now.

In saying that it is only 7 tog, whereas the summer one was 4 or 4.5. We always have a throw on the bed anyway in case we need it. Himself feels the cold because he takes blood thinners, whereas I am always warm. I have suggested single beds but that fell on deaf ears !!
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 14th Sep 18, 6:29 PM
    • 1,252 Posts
    • 6,770 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    candlelight, we have that problem so we have an electric dreamland blanket and it is "split" so he can leave his side on if he gets cold.
    • candlelight 2013
    • By candlelight 2013 14th Sep 18, 6:40 PM
    • 2,468 Posts
    • 25,787 Thanks
    candlelight 2013
    That's a good idea whiteguineapig, I might just look into that, cheaper than buying single beds, thankyou.
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 14th Sep 18, 6:59 PM
    • 1,252 Posts
    • 6,770 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    I love it, you can even put it in the washer (although only done this once as it seems a bit "wrong" lol)
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 14th Sep 18, 7:23 PM
    • 8,403 Posts
    • 29,529 Thanks
    Primrose
    So far still managing with 4 tog summer duvet. Keep telling myself we will manage by throwing the unzipped sleeping bag on the bed on a few chilly nights before we graduate to the 7 tog "winter" one. By the time we need that one the central heating will have been put on and the bedroom will be warmer, so perhaps not needed until we're deeper into winter.

Meanwhile my outdoor peppers are still in pots outside against the house wall with a thick net curtain draped over them at night to protect them. They still have quite a few ripening peppers on them which I'm hoping will turn fully red while the autumn sun stays with us during the daytime.

Just wondering how much longer I dare leave my tomatoes on the plants before picking them.
    Last edited by Primrose; 14-09-2018 at 9:25 PM.
    • Novice investor101
    • By Novice investor101 14th Sep 18, 7:42 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    Novice investor101
    Also still very much on the summer duvet. Think it's a 3.5tog. My bedroom does seem to hold the heat quite well atm. The winter one is a 13.5tog. Won't be getting that out until the really cold weather hits.

It's still fairly mild in South Yorkshire, so guessing the house isn't really losing heat. The roof is well insulated, but I'm in a Victorian terrace, so solid brick walls which do impact the internal temp when it's really cold.
    • jim-jim
    • By jim-jim 14th Sep 18, 8:28 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    jim-jim
    In the last 2 weeks I've spotted 3 separate lots of geese flying in formation.
    I live in north derbyshire, has any one else seen ANY? Is it a sign of snow

X
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 14th Sep 18, 9:09 PM
    • 15,283 Posts
    • 148,500 Thanks
    mardatha
    They've been reporting loads of geese going over up north of Scotland jim-jim. Usually does mean a change to colder weather, for us in Scotland at any rate. We're sitting at 13C here now, no Indian summer for us!
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 14th Sep 18, 9:26 PM
    • 8,403 Posts
    • 29,529 Thanks
    Primrose
    I saw geese flying a week ago and we're in the south east !
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 14th Sep 18, 10:37 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 9,205 Thanks
    Living proof
    Just wondering how much longer I dare leave my tomatoes on the plants before picking them.
    Originally posted by Primrose
    I have dug up several plants on my allotment and then hung them by the roots from a wire in the greenhouse. There are dozens of green fruit on them so I hope I can manage to ripen some of them. A few loose ones in boxes in the shed too.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 14th Sep 18, 11:07 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 3,191 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    The geese around here are 'on the move' now - no doubt we'll be getting the ones that over-winter from further north around about this time as well. I just know that there's ALWAYS geese around the local park boating lake - just different ones in the winter !

Have to confess to having had the gas fire on for a while this evening - turned it off about an hour ago, not wasting any residual heat before I go to bed.

Had a 'delicious, warming evening meal' tonight - Spicy Turkey Sausage 'thingy' (somewhere between a Chilli and a Casserole), loaded with veggies / kidney beans and served with Pasta.
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 14th Sep 18, 11:29 PM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 6,124 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Hi Living Proof
    My mum used to make green tomato chutney with any green tomatoes at the end of growing season. You could probably find a recipe online if it would be of any use.
    We have loads of little birds collecting around the coast here ready to fly to warmer places. I love when they start to arrive, because it means autumn is near.
    We are due heavy winds and rain this weekend but itís still relitively warm by normal standards. Iíve plenty of food, candles etc in so Iím hoping it will hold off until I finish work tomorrow.
    As I work in a shop I am going to get my flu jab as soon as possible this year. Handling money means that no matter how much I clean my hands Iím touching other peopleís germs so want as much help as possible to stay well.
    I hope everyone is keeping well and getting prepared for a hopefully not too bad winter.
    TTFN
    Cuddles
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 15th Sep 18, 9:55 AM
    • 181 Posts
    • 1,314 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    We're putting our winter duvet on this weekend - can't remember the togs, but think it's about 10 (iirc, it's about 10, the summer is about 3, and they have tiny buttons and buttonholes to fasten them together to make 13).

In four years living here, we've had a winter where we kept the summer duvet going right through, and a summer where we kept the winter duvet going right through

I've made more than six pints of elderberry syrup, and just in time, it seems, as I have a rotten cold.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,966Posts Today

8,539Users online

Martin's Twitter