Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,888Thanks
    zippychick
    Preparing for Winter V
    • 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    Preparing for Winter V 26th Nov 14 at 11:48 AM

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you've come through to this discussion from this week's email, welcome to the MSE Forum. You've joined our Old Style MoneySaving forumites chatting about how to prepare for winter.

Read below, read the last few pages of the discussion to see their most recent posts and click "reply" to join in. If you haven!!!8217;t already joined join the forum to reply.

Back to zippychick's original post...

-----

Hi everyone,

As the last 'preparing for winter' thread has now grown quite long, I think it's time for a new one, and what better time of year to begin to prepare than the end of November

So here goes....a shiny new thread. Please post below all your preparations for winter. If you want to read through the tips on the older threads you can find them here:

Preparing for Winter

Preparing for winter II

Preparing for winter III

Preparing for winter IV

Other links that may help:

the ice man cometh! (merged with keeping warm)

Things that worked or didn't work last winter

Frugal but happy in winter?

Winter checklist

Lets hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 1:35 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 128
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 12th Aug 18, 12:48 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 915 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    We're down into the mid-teens for temps now, which is a relief. We think we've had a full two months from mid-June where it's been 20+ every day and we much prefer cooler temps!

I've ordered new shoelaces online for Mr Nice's work shoes, and will be polishing both pairs next week so he starts the (hopefully-)damp season with dry feet! I've spent the summer in sandals or plimsolls, so I shall also be polishing up my trusty black lace-up brogues. While I'm at it with waterproofing and feeding leather, I'll do our black leather gloves as well.

I knit and crochet and sew, so we're fairly well provided for, but I need to track down our thick felted house-socks and make sure they are clean and darned.

We've a spell of warmer wether yet to come, so I plan to wash all the woollies and get them dried in warm dry weather.

It's on its way... Hurrah, hurrah!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Aug 18, 1:50 PM
    • 12,484 Posts
    • 173,450 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I'm going to go to the outlet shop and find a couple more pairs of long thermal ski socks to wear when I wear my long boots in the winter, ordinary socks wriggle their way down as I walk and end up in the toe of the boot, most uncomfortable and 'cold' but ski socks that come to my knee stay up and I have warm feet. The price not in sales is usually something fierce so I'll go to the outlet sale and see what I can find.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 12th Aug 18, 6:31 PM
    • 15,132 Posts
    • 146,415 Thanks
    mardatha
    I'm knitting socks lol
    • mattpaint
    • By mattpaint 12th Aug 18, 7:01 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    mattpaint
    I've got Wednesday off and will be spending the entire day cleaning my house from top to bottom. Full on pre-autumn clean. Not a surface shall escape my cloth.
    • WeegieWumman
    • By WeegieWumman 12th Aug 18, 9:27 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 1,420 Thanks
    WeegieWumman
    I'm knitting socks lol
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Good on you, Mar.
    I can't remember the last time I saw a pair of home knit socks.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 13th Aug 18, 6:46 AM
    • 6,529 Posts
    • 100,188 Thanks
    fuddle
    I'm kicking myself that I didn't get all the woollies, hats and gloves washed during the warmer period. I want to do it today. I would do. Its raining.

Socks are on our priority list too. We have enough thin ones but we're not really equipped for a long cold period.

The nights are coming in now. I have had my candles on for the last few nights. My stocks are decent but I'd like more. I'm reserving taper and piller candles for emergencies and would like a hurricane lamp for the kitchen window sill so I can, if needed, leave a candle burning in there without supervision. My tealights are for cosiness but I always keep them stocked up anyway.

I need to invest in ovals for the colder times but we've enough wood to feel comfortable. I can't quite wait for the first fire to be lit but it's a while off yet, although I'm off to the Outer Hebrides at the weekend and I suspect the stove there will be lit.
    Be like a tree.
    Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf.
    Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 13th Aug 18, 9:21 AM
    • 8,196 Posts
    • 28,621 Thanks
    Primrose
    The other good thing to have for emergency power cuts is a wind up lamp - the sort that are availble in Millets and camping shops. They are pretty much self sufficient I.e. no need for batteries which run out so effectively last a lifetime. We have a couple which have proved invaluable in a power cut and lways keep one handy for emergencies. You can probably buy them on Amazon if yiu cant get out to shops which supply them.

We have lots of torches littered around the house but where,s one with a decent battery when you need it ?
    Last edited by Primrose; 13-08-2018 at 10:06 AM.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Aug 18, 10:15 AM
    • 16,152 Posts
    • 137,593 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good on you, Mar.
    I can't remember the last time I saw a pair of home knit socks.
    Originally posted by WeegieWumman
    Last time I did was around 1954, my late Mum (also a weegie) taught me how to knit in 1947, and one of our seemingly never ending tasks was knitting sock for my two horny-hooved brothers They seemed to go through socks at an alarming rate. I love knitting but the idea of knitting a pair of socks is just a no-no to me I think I would rather eat my own liver to be honest

JackieO x
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Half year totals = 166.19. July added equals 204 .29,Todays August food shop added equals 227.75
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th Aug 18, 12:15 PM
    • 15,132 Posts
    • 146,415 Thanks
    mardatha
    Sock knitting is huge nowadays Jackie, better wool and better patterns. It's all the rage in the knitting groups and forums
    • dreaming
    • By dreaming 13th Aug 18, 1:08 PM
    • 680 Posts
    • 3,092 Thanks
    dreaming
    Sock knitting is huge nowadays Jackie, better wool and better patterns. It's all the rage in the knitting groups and forums
    I decided I wanted to learn to knit socks a couple of years ago so got the wool/needles/pattern etc. and so far have knitted 1 sock - not 1 pair, just 1 sock. I then got sidetracked into knitting Scandi-style Xmas baubles (book by Arne and Carlos) which my daughter wanted for her Xmas tree, and I never knitted any more for myself. I may try the other sock this autumn unless a new thing comes along.
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 13th Aug 18, 2:25 PM
    • 1,384 Posts
    • 7,090 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    I'm nearly half way through my fourth pair of socks intended as Christmas presents for the family. Only one more pair to do after these -for SIL-but he's a size 11.
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 13th Aug 18, 2:48 PM
    • 1,652 Posts
    • 12,654 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    It was MSE'er Foxgloves who put me onto knitting socks. I've even been making some to sell. Hubs and I will be lovely and warm

I found it quite straightforward. I'm an avid crocheter but I have never really knitted. My mother in law bought me a book by Ann Budd and I just followed that. Winwick mum is very popular - you can search for her book online.
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 13-08-2018 at 6:23 PM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: 10,490.31

SAVINGS: 9433.44
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 13th Aug 18, 3:02 PM
    • 8,196 Posts
    • 28,621 Thanks
    Primrose
    I decided I wanted to learn to knit socks a couple of years ago so got the wool/needles/pattern etc. and so far have knitted 1 sock - not 1 pair, just 1 sock. I then got sidetracked into knitting Scandi-style Xmas baubles (book by Arne and Carlos) which my daughter wanted for her Xmas tree, and I never knitted any more for myself. I may try the other sock this autumn unless a new thing comes along.
    Originally posted by dreaming
    Oh well, at least you will still be adequately equipped when, as they say in our family, somebody is "mouthing off" about something and we all exclaim "oh do put a sock in it,"
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th Aug 18, 4:25 PM
    • 15,132 Posts
    • 146,415 Thanks
    mardatha
    Winwick mum has a brilliant group on facebook. One Sockalong group and one nattery/chatty group. The Sockalongers can reach anybody how to knit socks
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 13th Aug 18, 5:00 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 915 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    I can't think what i did before I learnt to knit socks in my 30s... Looking back I spent a lot of money buying wool socks, and a lot of time complaining about being unable to buy wool socks, and darning the wool socks I still had...!

Now I never travel by train without a sock to knit. People come up to me when I'm waiting on a platform sitting kitting and gazing around me, and tell me they were having a rotten day but feel much calmer now and the train companies should pay me to sit there and knit to soothe people...! It's definitely soothing to me, and I don't have to look much, so I can listen to an audio book and gaze out of the train windows...
    When I wake early, I often sit up and knit a bit of sock. It's a nice way to start the day, clearing my mind. Or if I wake in the middle of the night, I can knit for a while and then go back to sleep...

I suppose it's a bit like meditation...
    • dreaming
    • By dreaming 13th Aug 18, 5:20 PM
    • 680 Posts
    • 3,092 Thanks
    dreaming
    Winwick mum has a brilliant group on facebook. One Sockalong group and one nattery/chatty group. The Sockalongers can reach anybody how to knit socks
    Yes it was Winwick Mum's pattern I followed and found it relatively easy, but unfortunately I have a bit of a butterfly mind with certain things and once I "learn" the new thing I want to move on to the next. Other stuff I can be very dogged about but it tends to be if I don't understand something I don't like to give up until I have researched it. I will, at some point, make the other sock, and hopefully more but I rarely wear socks myself as I seem to be very warm-blooded and pad around barefoot even in winter - and I am quite frugal with the central heating too so some of my visitors do find my house a bit chilly. Maybe I should knit the socks for them to wear when they visit?
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 13th Aug 18, 5:41 PM
    • 6,529 Posts
    • 100,188 Thanks
    fuddle
    Mar you put me on to Winwick Mum. I can now knit socks... kitchener stitch is still a mystery but I got there by hook or by crook. I'm back to crochet socks. They aren't the same but I've found a pattern with a heel at least.
    Be like a tree.
    Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf.
    Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing.
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 13th Aug 18, 5:54 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    I'm going to go to the outlet shop and find a couple more pairs of long thermal ski socks to wear when I wear my long boots in the winter, ordinary socks wriggle their way down as I walk and end up in the toe of the boot, most uncomfortable and 'cold' but ski socks that come to my knee stay up and I have warm feet. The price not in sales is usually something fierce so I'll go to the outlet sale and see what I can find.
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    Mountain warehouse have a clearance online at the moment. Just had a look and they've got quite a few different ski socks reduced. Might be worth a look.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Aug 18, 6:07 PM
    • 12,484 Posts
    • 173,450 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Thank you, thank you, thank you xxx.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • WeegieWumman
    • By WeegieWumman 13th Aug 18, 7:07 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 1,420 Thanks
    WeegieWumman
    Last time I did was around 1954, my late Mum (also a weegie) taught me how to knit in 1947, and one of our seemingly never ending tasks was knitting sock for my two horny-hooved brothers They seemed to go through socks at an alarming rate. I love knitting but the idea of knitting a pair of socks is just a no-no to me I think I would rather eat my own liver to be honest

JackieO x
    Originally posted by JackieO
    I managed to knit a pair of socks when I was in primary school. Using four needles was a nightmare. One sock turned out larger than the other. I was just awful at hand knitting!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,640Posts Today

8,422Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin