Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,888Thanks
    zippychick
    Preparing for Winter V
    • 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    Preparing for Winter V 26th Nov 14 at 11:48 AM

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you've come through to this discussion from this week's email, welcome to the MSE Forum. You've joined our Old Style MoneySaving forumites chatting about how to prepare for winter.

Read below, read the last few pages of the discussion to see their most recent posts and click "reply" to join in. If you haven’t already joined join the forum to reply.

Back to zippychick's original post...

-----

Hi everyone,

As the last 'preparing for winter' thread has now grown quite long, I think it's time for a new one, and what better time of year to begin to prepare than the end of November

So here goes....a shiny new thread. Please post below all your preparations for winter. If you want to read through the tips on the older threads you can find them here:

Preparing for Winter

Preparing for winter II

Preparing for winter III

Preparing for winter IV

Other links that may help:

the ice man cometh! (merged with keeping warm)

Things that worked or didn't work last winter

Frugal but happy in winter?

Winter checklist

Lets hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 1:35 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 127
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 1st Aug 18, 6:52 PM
    • 12,868 Posts
    • 177,767 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I've just looked and amazon do sprouting seeds and you can get them on e.Bay too.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 3rd Aug 18, 11:15 AM
    • 213 Posts
    • 1,509 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    The first one or two blackberries were ripe here about a week early, mid-July instead of the last week, but this is my first handful of the year. From now on I'll carry a container in my bag whenever I go out on foot, for whatever fruits I can find, hurrah.

A sign that the flowering of summer is giving way to the fruiting of autumn...

And still, I can't post a ruddy photo, can I? Bah humbug.

• Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 3rd Aug 18, 11:17 AM
    • 213 Posts
    • 1,509 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    This summer, for the first time, I was unable to grow mustard and cress - it germinated and then stayed about 2-3mm long for fortnight, at which point I gave up and tucked it away in the woods for the wildlife to eat.

I can only assume it was the heat - that was when it was 24-27 degrees every day and the news were saying lettuce crops stop growing at those kinds of temps, etc.

I shall give it a go again soon - I bought a load of seeds a couple of years ago, kept in the fridge, and they are mustard and old-fashioned cress, both really peppery and much nicer than the bought stuff! A bit of kitchen paper in the upturned plastic lid of a Nesquick box (!) works perfectly!
    • LadyhavershamLost
    • By LadyhavershamLost 7th Aug 18, 5:31 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    LadyhavershamLost
    up to 70% sale on items on the regatta website - got 16 year old son a lovely winter jacket for £30 instead of £100. Hope he likes it!

only coat for awkward 13 year to get now.....
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 8th Aug 18, 2:07 PM
    • 549 Posts
    • 3,384 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    Having stressed over how cold DS's room was over winter, it's been stupidly hot all summer despite black out blind and curtains and it's out of the sun after about 3pm. Fan every night.

This coming winter though, his baby sister will be in there with him, she's almost four months old now and he's already moved to the proper bed (He's two in a few weeks) so the cot bed is free for her.

At least she'll be a bit bigger before it gets really cold in Jan/ Feb, 10mths by then, he was five months when he went in there in mid Feb, too big to stay in his crib in our room any longer!!
    Last edited by Lucy5781; 12-08-2018 at 8:50 AM.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • Pennydropped
    • By Pennydropped 10th Aug 18, 10:00 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    Pennydropped
    Just taking stock of what I need to do and making a list at the moment. I have the fleece that I pin to the curtains. We've plenty of hats, gloves, and scarves. Winter coats from last year are fine as well. Eldest needs wellies replaced.

I need to go through all the clothing and pass down what's been outgrown, replace what's needed, and generally take stock of what there is.

Then it's just a matter of building up a winter store cupboard, which I've already started.

No garden work needed, thankfully, as we live in a flat.
    Saving, decluttering and doing alright.
    • muffin man 7
    • By muffin man 7 11th Aug 18, 11:22 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 7,753 Thanks
    muffin man 7
    Fuddle - will you tell me how you do this?
    "we'll also be lining the toilet cistern internally to stop the cold water/warm atmosphere producing condensation on the cistern"
    because this happens here, the cistern is continually dropping onto the floor.
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Mar I had this problem and found that when i put bubble wrap around the cistern it made a big difference as im still waiting to move id been collecting bubble wrap every week when i went to town i also added tbe bubble wrap to bathroom window and the glass on both the front and back door so much better than soggy windows every day hth
    2nd purse challenge no040£0 Sealed pot challenge ???? £2 trolley find not counting small coins till end year
    • wannalot
    • By wannalot 12th Aug 18, 8:07 AM
    • 135 Posts
    • 1,103 Thanks
    wannalot
    Hello all

What a great idea for a thread! I must admit, I am not as keen on winter as many many on here are. The darkness in particular is an issue up here. I get very depressed on days when I only see daylight on my 15-minute jaunt to work!

The weather here seems to be turning much cooler and the nights are lengthening already, so my mind is turning to ways to make the winter a bit more bareable. The past few years have really caught me out on the mercifully few occasions when snow and freezing temps have hit, so I want to buy some grit to deal with the path and the pavement just in front. Each year, these freeze very often and the lack of sunlight means they don!!!8217;t unfreeze for days. Does anyone know where to buy grit? I do not have a massive amount of space, so I am just looking to buy a biggish bag which I can keep behind the door in my porch.

Apart from this, I really want to minimise heating costs, so I also want to wash and line dry a lot of throws and cushion covers to add to the cosiness factor of the living room. I have also gathered together all the candles into a basket so I can see what I have (which is a lot!).

I am also debating whether to combine my desire to exercise more and my desire to save energy costs. I might start going to the gym in the morning before work, which would mean I would not need heating in the house in the morning, and I could also shower there instead of at home.

This weekend, I have also decided to create an extra stockpile of food. This is mainly in preparation for Brexit shortages, but would also come in handy for any times when I cannot get to the shops.
    January GC: £0/£110
    Aims for 2018:
    1. Stick to GC targets!
    2. No buying of books until I read what I have!
    4. Lose weight!
    5. Build up some savings!
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 12th Aug 18, 8:53 AM
    • 549 Posts
    • 3,384 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    I need to check the wellies I have for DS. He'll grow more before winter and he's actually walking to and from places sometimes rather than buggy etc.

Need to check the snow suits I have for DD. Think I have a 9-12mth stashed but not a 6-9 for over Xmas!!
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 12th Aug 18, 9:17 AM
    • 1,195 Posts
    • 6,184 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Hi guys
    Iím stocking up on winter clothes in the sales at the moment. I got 2 chunky cardigans and a jumper from one of the catalogues for under£50 last week, these can be layered and will last at least a couple of years, probably longer. Then when we get to autumn Iíll stock up on summer stuff.
    As oldies we tend also to holiday in winter, cheaper than summer hols and it means the winter has a couple of bites taken out of it.
    Iíve started crocheting a throw now the weather has cooled a bit ( my hands got too hot and sweaty when it was hot) and Iíve got some scruffy handknit stuff that Iím going to unravel to add to it. That should keep me out of mischief for a while.
    I hope everyone is keeping well and thinking ahead.
    Personally I hope winter stays away as long as possible but I do like my little nest when itís dark, warm and cosy.
    Cuddles

My cupboards are now full and I plan to keep them that way.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 12th Aug 18, 9:32 AM
    • 8,450 Posts
    • 29,690 Thanks
    Primrose
    After seeing last winter's snows I think many people will be wanting some well stocked store cupboards. Foe those without a lot of built in storage cupbords, these deep see-though plastic storage boxes often available in bargain shops are ideal. You can cover them with a decorative cloth and keep them anywhere without anybody knowing what,s inside. Just be sure to keep a paper inventory list inside so you can keep track of what you,ve got, and perhaps an aide memoire list of quick & easy meals which can be prepared in a power cut situation
    Last edited by Primrose; 12-08-2018 at 12:56 PM.
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 12th Aug 18, 10:51 AM
    • 213 Posts
    • 1,509 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    . Does anyone know where to buy grit? I do not have a massive amount of space, so I am just looking to buy a biggish bag which I can keep behind the door in my porch.
    Originally posted by wannalot
    I lived in Scotland for years and we found that dishwasher salt is actually the best thing - and cheaper than grit unless you're buying pallets of the grit/rocksalt.

It is in granules, so you can scatter it and it works instantly as grit, but then as it melts it acts as salt, so you get both effects

Tesco's 3kg bag is currently 57p/100g

We also carry a bag in the car all winter - comes in very handy indeed.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 12th Aug 18, 11:40 AM
    • 15,322 Posts
    • 148,926 Thanks
    mardatha
    Starting to get dark early up here now... this is when I get the urge to knit lol
    Sorry meant to say ty muffin man I will try the bubble wrap on the cistern, but I like to open the windows to let the steam out so will leave them.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 12th Aug 18, 12:28 PM
    • 10,823 Posts
    • 70,330 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Grit.....garden centres, diy sheds, builders merchants

It actually feels quite autumnal here today.....I'm wearing socks.
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 12th Aug 18, 12:48 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 1,509 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    We're down into the mid-teens for temps now, which is a relief. We think we've had a full two months from mid-June where it's been 20+ every day and we much prefer cooler temps!

I've ordered new shoelaces online for Mr Nice's work shoes, and will be polishing both pairs next week so he starts the (hopefully-)damp season with dry feet! I've spent the summer in sandals or plimsolls, so I shall also be polishing up my trusty black lace-up brogues. While I'm at it with waterproofing and feeding leather, I'll do our black leather gloves as well.

I knit and crochet and sew, so we're fairly well provided for, but I need to track down our thick felted house-socks and make sure they are clean and darned.

We've a spell of warmer wether yet to come, so I plan to wash all the woollies and get them dried in warm dry weather.

It's on its way... Hurrah, hurrah!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Aug 18, 1:50 PM
    • 12,868 Posts
    • 177,767 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I'm going to go to the outlet shop and find a couple more pairs of long thermal ski socks to wear when I wear my long boots in the winter, ordinary socks wriggle their way down as I walk and end up in the toe of the boot, most uncomfortable and 'cold' but ski socks that come to my knee stay up and I have warm feet. The price not in sales is usually something fierce so I'll go to the outlet sale and see what I can find.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 12th Aug 18, 6:31 PM
    • 15,322 Posts
    • 148,926 Thanks
    mardatha
    I'm knitting socks lol
    • mattpaint
    • By mattpaint 12th Aug 18, 7:01 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 465 Thanks
    mattpaint
    I've got Wednesday off and will be spending the entire day cleaning my house from top to bottom. Full on pre-autumn clean. Not a surface shall escape my cloth.
    • WeegieWumman
    • By WeegieWumman 12th Aug 18, 9:27 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 1,602 Thanks
    WeegieWumman
    I'm knitting socks lol
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Good on you, Mar.
    I can't remember the last time I saw a pair of home knit socks.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 13th Aug 18, 6:46 AM
    • 6,649 Posts
    • 101,707 Thanks
    fuddle
    I'm kicking myself that I didn't get all the woollies, hats and gloves washed during the warmer period. I want to do it today. I would do. Its raining.

Socks are on our priority list too. We have enough thin ones but we're not really equipped for a long cold period.

The nights are coming in now. I have had my candles on for the last few nights. My stocks are decent but I'd like more. I'm reserving taper and piller candles for emergencies and would like a hurricane lamp for the kitchen window sill so I can, if needed, leave a candle burning in there without supervision. My tealights are for cosiness but I always keep them stocked up anyway.

I need to invest in ovals for the colder times but we've enough wood to feel comfortable. I can't quite wait for the first fire to be lit but it's a while off yet, although I'm off to the Outer Hebrides at the weekend and I suspect the stove there will be lit.
    Be like a tree.
    Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf.
    Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,779Posts Today

6,764Users online

Martin's Twitter