Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,888Thanks
    zippychick
    Preparing for Winter V
    • 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    Preparing for Winter V 26th Nov 14 at 11:48 AM

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you've come through to this discussion from this week's email, welcome to the MSE Forum. You've joined our Old Style MoneySaving forumites chatting about how to prepare for winter.

Read below, read the last few pages of the discussion to see their most recent posts and click "reply" to join in. If you haven!!!8217;t already joined join the forum to reply.

Back to zippychick's original post...

-----

Hi everyone,

As the last 'preparing for winter' thread has now grown quite long, I think it's time for a new one, and what better time of year to begin to prepare than the end of November

So here goes....a shiny new thread. Please post below all your preparations for winter. If you want to read through the tips on the older threads you can find them here:

Preparing for Winter

Preparing for winter II

Preparing for winter III

Preparing for winter IV

Other links that may help:

the ice man cometh! (merged with keeping warm)

Things that worked or didn't work last winter

Frugal but happy in winter?

Winter checklist

Lets hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 1:35 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 126
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 30th Jun 18, 8:03 AM
    • 6,448 Posts
    • 98,658 Thanks
    fuddle
    Ditto beentherdonethat. I've been after sheepskin slippers for many years now. My birthday is September so I've asked DH and the girls for Lambland slippers. I would like soles on the bottom for washing line and bin trips.
    Please don't judge my story by the chapter that you walked in on.
    • Cheapskate
    • By Cheapskate 4th Jul 18, 10:11 PM
    • 1,595 Posts
    • 19,426 Thanks
    Cheapskate
    For all it's stonkingly hot here, I feel like I should be starting winter preps - maybe it's because all my fruit trees are going to be ready far earlier than last year, and I'm itching to harvest and cook/freeze them!

When the temp drops a little, I'll be crocheting more blankets for beds, sofas, and in the car, and slowly building wood and coal stocks for the stove. Also looking for a second slow cooker and a few bits of winter clothing for us all, so tootling around various online and RL life sales.

A xx
    CRAPROLLZ member #20 Cheapskate - Head of Hunting (family membership co-ordinator)

Jan GC 27.05/300
    • LadyhavershamLost
    • By LadyhavershamLost 12th Jul 18, 8:20 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    LadyhavershamLost
    Still blooming hot ( not complaining mind!)!!!8230;. have inundated the drycleaners with the winter coats that need cleaning and stocked up on winter tights for tiniest child from A**I.

picked up a few winter bits in the sales - bargain gloves etc...

I saved my list I mae last year and will be crossing bits off as I work my way through it.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Jul 18, 5:09 PM
    • 12,421 Posts
    • 78,520 Thanks
    kittie
    It will be a new house for me this coming winter and summer 2010 was baking then followed by weeks of snow. Anything could happen this winter. I have only had 2 visits and the survey has not yet been done, so I have no idea what to expect. Its an old house pre-1930 and detached.
    I am planning a couple of things, a new clearview stove, which will mean a new fireplace and chimney lining. Fireplace survey has been done and the quote is on its way.A new front door, composite with foam inner. I am combining my need to be warm with my need to feel safe
    I am in a cosy eco house now and appreciate that this new home will be a lot colder but being able to have the fire damped down all night will help
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th Jul 18, 5:38 PM
    • 15,003 Posts
    • 144,132 Thanks
    mardatha
    Yes, keep the fire in during really cold spells. It warms the bricks and the stone walls and really makes a huge difference.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Jul 18, 6:53 PM
    • 12,146 Posts
    • 168,417 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Bought another lovely warm top with a hood in Debenhams 70% off sale today, a Tog 24 one too!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 13th Jul 18, 11:16 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 801 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Our winter duvet has gone in for cleaning

I'm starting to look at my two new autumn-winter skirts that I'm making, considering cutting diagrams and designs and feeling excited...

The blackberries are starting to ripen, too...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,258Posts Today

7,030Users online

Martin's Twitter