Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,881Thanks
    zippychick
    Preparing for Winter V
    • 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    Preparing for Winter V 26th Nov 14 at 11:48 AM

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you've come through to this discussion from this week's email, welcome to the MSE Forum. You've joined our Old Style MoneySaving forumites chatting about how to prepare for winter.

Read below, read the last few pages of the discussion to see their most recent posts and click "reply" to join in. If you haven!!!8217;t already joined join the forum to reply.

Back to zippychick's original post...

-----

Hi everyone,

As the last 'preparing for winter' thread has now grown quite long, I think it's time for a new one, and what better time of year to begin to prepare than the end of November

So here goes....a shiny new thread. Please post below all your preparations for winter. If you want to read through the tips on the older threads you can find them here:

Preparing for Winter

Preparing for winter II

Preparing for winter III

Preparing for winter IV

Other links that may help:

the ice man cometh! (merged with keeping warm)

Things that worked or didn't work last winter

Frugal but happy in winter?

Winter checklist

Lets hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 1:35 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 120
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 4th Mar 18, 7:48 PM
    • 9,063 Posts
    • 57,221 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Puddings are lovely arenít they? I sometimes do a steamed syrup or jam sponge in the microwave. Make a sponge mix using 1 large egg, 4 ounces each of flour, sugar and butter and a splash of milk. Butter the inside of a Pyrex pudding basin, add 2 generous tablespoonsful jam or syrup, dollop sponge mix on top. Stand basin on a plate and microwave 5 or 6 minutes - sorted! Good with custard, cream or ice cream.
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 4th Mar 18, 10:10 PM
    • 14,808 Posts
    • 141,244 Thanks
    mardatha
    I didn't know making puddings was that easy - I buy the microwave ones but they aren't very nice, will try to make my own sometime. I do love pudding!!
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 4th Mar 18, 10:14 PM
    • 9,063 Posts
    • 57,221 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Saves hours of steaming on the stovetop! Just make sure your sponge mix comes just over half way up the bowl, if you fill it up to the top you get a volcano effect in the microwave.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 4th Mar 18, 10:28 PM
    • 1,813 Posts
    • 2,382 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    I'm very glad of our stores and the equipment we've got in times like these, we've not needed to go out and we've been able to keep the house warm, I know these wintery conditions don't happen often but it's chaotic when they do all over the country not just in the soft south.
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    I've just been having a chat to an old friend from the South living in a town in the central belt of Scotland, and she was recounting how impressive the snows have been..

But she was also commenting about how unprepared everybody seems, and how nobody seems to have a store cupboard, even those with families and kids to feed. Maybe it's a generational thing but we could both rustle up a basic meal for a group: rice, stock cubes, tinned stuff, pasta, herbs,garlic, olive oil etc.. As for bread I've got yeast and flour. Stocks of wine are also high in my case.:-)

Anyway, the snow is all gone here and I haven't had the chance to use my snow tyres. I was never worried about going out in the snow, only meeting other traffic without them!
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 5th Mar 18, 8:38 AM
    • 1,824 Posts
    • 6,690 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    Puddings are lovely arenít they? I sometimes do a steamed syrup or jam sponge in the microwave. Make a sponge mix using 1 large egg, 4 ounces each of flour, sugar and butter and a splash of milk. Butter the inside of a Pyrex pudding basin, add 2 generous tablespoonsful jam or syrup, dollop sponge mix on top. Stand basin on a plate and microwave 5 or 6 minutes - sorted! Good with custard, cream or ice cream.
    Originally posted by Nargleblast
    Thanks for that recipe Nargleblast. I'm going to save that one for emergencies! Just one thing, that isn't one serving is it?
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 5th Mar 18, 9:25 AM
    • 14,808 Posts
    • 141,244 Thanks
    mardatha
    Finally got out of the village and down to the docs. Single track cleared with piles of snow at either side. Yaaay FREEDOM!
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 6th Mar 18, 9:13 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,538 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I really hope that is the last of the cold weather now. Well, where I live anyway.

I realised that I have to stock up next winter with some more flannel sheets (I only bought one sheet for some reason!) and some flannel shirts, warmer jumpers and warmer socks!
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 24/60
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 6th Mar 18, 12:43 PM
    • 14,808 Posts
    • 141,244 Thanks
    mardatha
    Snowed again heavily this morning and covered all the roads again. Still no binmen or post and the school is shut.
    • Trolly101
    • By Trolly101 9th Mar 18, 8:07 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Trolly101
    Good Morning! I've spent a lot of time lurking here(mainly because I had lost my login details!)
    During the autumn I try to prepare and this last year wasn't as successful as previous years. We survived the Beast from the East and I was so much more prepared than many of my friends and neighbours. Unfortunately an elderly lady was found dead in the snow last week in the village where my son schools, she had, it seems, fallen in the snow between some parked cars and frozen to death before being found early the following morning.
    Yesterday was forecast to be a light sprinkling of snow here in West Yorkshire but the snow came down with such ferocity and amount in such a small space of time it turned all the local roads into a car park!! So many crashes, abandoned vehicles etc. I had to walk my son to primary school (we school out of the local area) but yet again my daughter's high school was closed. No real mention of the travel chaos that ensued on the national news and I'm now of the opinion that news?weather is very Londoncentric! I want to tell you all that by all your hints, tips, chats and observations I have negotiated the bad weather successfully and looked out for my neighbours and elderly in laws. You are all amazing, and I feel very smug watching local Facebook groups discussing the lack of bread milk supplies and basic winter kit and realise I was more prepared than I gave myself credit for! Have a great day everyone!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 9th Mar 18, 3:10 PM
    • 11,651 Posts
    • 162,101 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    What a dismal day it is out there today, damp and joyless so I'm attempting Hygge by wrapping up in a big silk scarf and consuming hot chocolate. I think it might start working when we light the stove but at the moment it doesn't feel very much like spring, more like November!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 9th Mar 18, 6:50 PM
    • 14,808 Posts
    • 141,244 Thanks
    mardatha
    Went out this morning for what I thought would be a 2 hour trip to the hairdresser. Because of late buses, busy hairdressers, and a missed bus, it turned into a 5 hour trip, with an hour in a freezing bus station because I just missed the bus. Not happy either MrsL !
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Mar 18, 6:23 PM
    • 11,651 Posts
    • 162,101 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    It's been so warm here today that I've been forced to abandon hat and gloves and undo my coat while out walking the houndicus, was lovely!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 10th Mar 18, 8:03 PM
    • 9,063 Posts
    • 57,221 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Thanks for that recipe Nargleblast. I'm going to save that one for emergencies! Just one thing, that isn't one serving is it?
    Originally posted by Eenymeeny
    It makes 4 moderate portions or 3 decent portions or 2 big portions or 1 "you greedy barsteward" portion - take your pick!
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 11th Mar 18, 8:05 AM
    • 1,824 Posts
    • 6,690 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    It makes 4 moderate portions or 3 decent portions or 2 big portions or 1 "you greedy barsteward" portion - take your pick!
    Originally posted by Nargleblast
    Thanks so much. Sounds like you use the same portion control as we do!
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Mar 18, 10:20 AM
    • 15,878 Posts
    • 134,584 Thanks
    JackieO
    I think it could be generational about store cupboards as being one of the ...errm older patrons of the site I have always kept a good back-up store cupboard. growing up with rationing and the austerity of post war Britain made you aware at an early age that food had to be accumulated when ever possible.

Not only for snowy days but for the days when the wolf knocked at the door and money was tight and food had to be streetched out to feed a family In the 1970s when the mortgage rate went through the roof, and many folks lost their roofs sadly, I was often happy to fall back on my emergency cupboard of supplies.

Then in the late 1980s when unemployment hit our family, again my emergency cupboard came in to its own again.

I have a small stash that I keep in a cupboard, and check now and again and use and replace when needed. Basic stuff that will tide me over if for any reason I can't get to the shops, or as has happened when one of my DDs have gone through a lean time , my store cupboards have been raided and very useful additions to help out.

Last week when the snows came down I was fine and had very little need for anything really .

Having reduced my shopping days now to twice a month I have also reduced my outgoings, and reduced buying impulse buys as well its win-win really, but my emergency cupboards have been a godsend at times over the years

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May food shopping so far £16.12
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Mar 18, 10:39 AM
    • 11,953 Posts
    • 74,723 Thanks
    kittie
    I think it could be generational about store cupboards as being one of the ...errm older patrons of the site I have always kept a good back-up store cupboard. growing up with rationing and the austerity of post war Britain made you aware at an early age that food had to be accumulated when ever possible
    Originally posted by JackieO
    oh that is me to a t, post war Britain, yes ingrained and I have been working very hard to change the psychology. I have unearthed an online photo of my home in the 50s, dark foggy, smoke filled, cobbles, net curtains, white step and dignity in a slum area. Was a very different life to now
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 11th Mar 18, 1:11 PM
    • 8,027 Posts
    • 28,098 Thanks
    Primrose
    There is something deep,y satisfying, I find, about a well stocked store cupboard. Forget all the excess tat one can buy. To be snowed in with plenty of foods to keep you going is indeed a comforting feeling.
    I was only a small child during the war and post war austerity period but still remember my mothers delight when she was able to acquire something valuable for her storemcupboard.
    We have too much these days. We have lost the art of appreciating the valuable things in life.
    Last edited by Primrose; 11-03-2018 at 2:19 PM.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 11th Mar 18, 1:23 PM
    • 14,808 Posts
    • 141,244 Thanks
    mardatha
    Def agree with that sentence, very true Primrose.
    I was born at the start of the 50s, so don't remember anything about the war - but my mother always had a totally empty cupboard. I find having full ones far better, and now often wonder why she did that, when she lived through the hungry 20/30s and the war - she was born in 1916!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Mar 18, 2:32 PM
    • 11,651 Posts
    • 162,101 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I'd be totally lost without my upstairs store room, it's my shop at home and I only stock it with things I use, not the weird and wonderful that look like a bargain because they're cheap on the shelf. It's a source of peace of mind and knowing that in illness or bad weather we don't have to go shopping but can live very well for quite some time on things already here is such a good feeling.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Mar 18, 2:38 PM
    • 11,953 Posts
    • 74,723 Thanks
    kittie
    mrsL, are you going to be able to have a similar system in your new home? Not having the space is something that scares me a bit. I need to downsize mentally a bit faster
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,002Posts Today

7,264Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin