Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,881Thanks
    zippychick
    Preparing for Winter V
    • 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    Preparing for Winter V 26th Nov 14 at 11:48 AM

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you've come through to this discussion from this week's email, welcome to the MSE Forum. You've joined our Old Style MoneySaving forumites chatting about how to prepare for winter.

Read below, read the last few pages of the discussion to see their most recent posts and click "reply" to join in. If you haven!!!8217;t already joined join the forum to reply.

Back to zippychick's original post...

-----

Hi everyone,

As the last 'preparing for winter' thread has now grown quite long, I think it's time for a new one, and what better time of year to begin to prepare than the end of November

So here goes....a shiny new thread. Please post below all your preparations for winter. If you want to read through the tips on the older threads you can find them here:

Preparing for Winter

Preparing for winter II

Preparing for winter III

Preparing for winter IV

Other links that may help:

the ice man cometh! (merged with keeping warm)

Things that worked or didn't work last winter

Frugal but happy in winter?

Winter checklist

Lets hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 1:35 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 119
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 3rd Mar 18, 12:33 PM
    • 12,635 Posts
    • 220,314 Thanks
    greenbee
    The other thing to remember with the roads in the south is that the kids don't learn to drive in snow, they grow up with little experience of it, so when there is snow, they don't know what to do. I learned this when I moved south from East Anglia where we regularly had snow - and soon realised that the best thing to do is stay in as everyone thinks their journey is essential!

Due to the fact that snow and very cold weather are rare here, we also don't have the stocks of grit/salt and the number of gritters/snow ploughs that they do in snow-prone areas.

Thankfully the farmers have all been out helping - they've had to clear the back roads so they can deal with lifestock anyway.

As Fuddle says, the reason for school closures is usually due to teachers living too far from the school. The kids may be able to get in, but without the correct ratio of staff the schools can't open. Mind you, most of the parents couldn't get out of the village here when the teachers couldn't get in so it wasn't a major issue - parents who could work from home still worked, and those who either couldn't or don't work outside the home helped out with childcare.

Thankfully it's thawing, so my taxi to the airport should get through tomorrow. The one who dropped me off yesterday hadn't bothered to check local weather/road conditions and was relying on his satnav. FB and twitter would have been more helpful.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 3rd Mar 18, 12:54 PM
    • 14,904 Posts
    • 142,548 Thanks
    mardatha
    The cavalry have arrived. The street is clear and there's a John Deere at my gate!
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 3rd Mar 18, 2:36 PM
    • 12,635 Posts
    • 220,314 Thanks
    greenbee
    But did they bring sweeties Mar?
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 3rd Mar 18, 2:46 PM
    • 504 Posts
    • 3,079 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    We had the worst of ours yesterday afternoon after the neighbour and I got home from the shopping centre (only a ten min walk though we both have an 18 month old in a buggy and I'm 33wks pregnant) and visited Asda.

DH left work early so he could make it home before it got worse and after a little bit more overnight it's now turning slushy.

Hoping it'll be even clearer tomorrow for my baby shower brunch...
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: 16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: 13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 3rd Mar 18, 5:43 PM
    • 14,904 Posts
    • 142,548 Thanks
    mardatha
    Nope GB but the shepherd at top of the street says if I let him know when Sainsbugs is coming then he will meet the van down on the main road in his 4x4 and fetch my order for me. AND THERE ARE FOAM SHRIMPS AND BANANAS IN IT.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 4th Mar 18, 9:06 AM
    • 11,811 Posts
    • 164,034 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Snow has gone and we have sunshine and a clouding over blue sky. We are due rain today, lots of showers some heavy ones but that's OK and much better than snow and ice.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 4th Mar 18, 9:08 AM
    • 14,904 Posts
    • 142,548 Thanks
    mardatha
    Snow back on. No hope of Sainsbugs now. No foam bananas or sugar shrimps..... I can't go on
    • wmf
    • By wmf 4th Mar 18, 9:24 AM
    • 1,783 Posts
    • 21,448 Thanks
    wmf
    Oh no! Been thinking of you. We were supposed to be at Kelso Races yesterday !!!10052;!!!65039;Hope you get sweeties soon
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 4th Mar 18, 10:13 AM
    • 1,828 Posts
    • 6,701 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    I hope that everyone is ok and keeping warm. Mardatha I've resorted to stem ginger, glace cherries and cooking chocolate in the past when real chocolate wasn't available!
    Still in snow here too although I'm sure that we'll see a bit of a thaw today despite the dire weather warnings. Is anyone else tired of the continuous talk about weather on tv? We did manage to get to our local Morrisons yesterday. It was packed with people chatting and blocking aisles. Must remember that for next time...
    It's been a good test for my prepping list. We've been fine, the only thing that I was getting low on was bird seed! Has anyone else found an item to add to their list? My brother in law is snowed in and bemoaning the fact that they had run out of wine!
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 4th Mar 18, 1:46 PM
    • 14,904 Posts
    • 142,548 Thanks
    mardatha
    Well Sainsbugs are coming at 3-ish, but we have to trek down to the main road and meet him at the bus stop, then lug the stuff back up the hill. Is worth it for sugar shrimps. Next door neighbour cracked and did an escape up to her mums, she has a Jeep but says she only just made it out and was sliding all over the place. No sign of the council yet...
    • westcoastscot
    • By westcoastscot 4th Mar 18, 2:56 PM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 17,109 Thanks
    westcoastscot
    Mar when we lived on the island I kept the makings of sweeties at home - perhaps you need to add those to your preps.
    Lovely fruit jellies, and pulled sweeties - coconut ice, fudge etc, hokey pokey - yum!!!!!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 4th Mar 18, 3:28 PM
    • 14,904 Posts
    • 142,548 Thanks
    mardatha
    WCS I'd eat the makings before they ever got made
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 4th Mar 18, 3:37 PM
    • 6,353 Posts
    • 97,140 Thanks
    fuddle
    <<<< eats the jelly cubes before they even get dissolved into jelly.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 4th Mar 18, 5:22 PM
    • 14,904 Posts
    • 142,548 Thanks
    mardatha
    That's terrible. I would never ever do that!
    *fibber*
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 4th Mar 18, 5:46 PM
    • 1,828 Posts
    • 6,701 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    '<<<< eats the jelly cubes before they even get dissolved into jelly. '
    'That's terrible. I would never ever do that!
    *fibber*' I'm glad that I'm not the only one!
    I hope that you've got your delivery by now Mardatha. I imagine you sitting with chocolate all around your mouth and a satisfied grin Just thinking, what was the point of inventing drones if they aren't used for emergency sweetie drops?....
    I was right, snow melting here now but as the temperature is dropping I suppose that we'll wake up to some tomorrow morning. Hoping that we don't get any fresh stuff though.
    Last edited by Eenymeeny; 04-03-2018 at 5:50 PM.
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 4th Mar 18, 6:56 PM
    • 14,904 Posts
    • 142,548 Thanks
    mardatha
    This is me !
    • westcoastscot
    • By westcoastscot 4th Mar 18, 7:19 PM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 17,109 Thanks
    westcoastscot
    Oh I love jelly cubes :-)
    I made a proper rice pudding yesterday - lush! Am going back to having puddings I think - they're very comforting
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 4th Mar 18, 7:28 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 20,044 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    I can see you mar stuffing your face ! Hope you've got the sick bucket nearby .

Good to see you WCS . I make my rice puddings half milk , half evaporated milk as my mum did . They're lovely and creamy .

Stay warm everyone .

polly
    • westcoastscot
    • By westcoastscot 4th Mar 18, 7:33 PM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 17,109 Thanks
    westcoastscot
    [QUOTE=pollyanna 26;73974460].

Good to see you WCS . I make my rice puddings half milk , half evaporated milk as my mum did . They're lovely and creamy .

I make mine with a pint of milk, then when it's cooked fairly solid stir in a tin of evaporated milk - lovely!
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 4th Mar 18, 7:41 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 20,044 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    I'm craving rice pudding now . Too late so something for tomorrow .

mar you do realise we were waiting with bated breath over on the fence to see if the sweeties had arrived . If you make yourself sick I'll do a post tomorrow in your favourite green to match your green face .
    You're a greedy minx !

polly x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

134Posts Today

1,285Users online

Martin's Twitter