Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,881Thanks
    zippychick
    Preparing for Winter V
    • 26th Nov 14, 11:48 AM
    Preparing for Winter V 26th Nov 14 at 11:48 AM

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you've come through to this discussion from this week's email, welcome to the MSE Forum. You've joined our Old Style MoneySaving forumites chatting about how to prepare for winter.

Read below, read the last few pages of the discussion to see their most recent posts and click "reply" to join in. If you haven!!!8217;t already joined join the forum to reply.

Back to zippychick's original post...

-----

Hi everyone,

As the last 'preparing for winter' thread has now grown quite long, I think it's time for a new one, and what better time of year to begin to prepare than the end of November

So here goes....a shiny new thread. Please post below all your preparations for winter. If you want to read through the tips on the older threads you can find them here:

Preparing for Winter

Preparing for winter II

Preparing for winter III

Preparing for winter IV

Other links that may help:

the ice man cometh! (merged with keeping warm)

Things that worked or didn't work last winter

Frugal but happy in winter?

Winter checklist

Lets hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 1:35 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 110
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 6th Feb 18, 10:29 AM
    • 11,655 Posts
    • 162,176 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    What a lovely, lovely image that brings Mar, I've got a Thelwell image of toddler birds all fighting over crumbs and falling off the shed roof into the snow with a SPLAT! thank you!!!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • juliettet
    • By juliettet 6th Feb 18, 11:06 AM
    • 611 Posts
    • 3,746 Thanks
    juliettet
    I crumbled up the last of the panettone this morning. Mr Robin who is in charge was telling off the baby pigeon for eating the raisins. I love the birds.
    Snow settled here last night, two minor bumps on the A74 going to work. Lovely day here.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Feb 18, 7:15 AM
    • 11,962 Posts
    • 74,767 Thanks
    kittie
    It`s vile outside, cold, rain battering the windows and blowing hard. Yesterday I saw signs of spring and took the big heavy warm lounge curtain down, to prep it for a potential house sale. Maybe was a few days too early but it makes me appreciate the good work it did
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Feb 18, 8:33 AM
    • 11,655 Posts
    • 162,176 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Vile here too, mega wet and horribly gusty wind and has been for most of the night too and kept me awake for most of it. This (according to the weather forecast) ought to clear after lunch today but there's another horrid day in store tomorrow if they're right. Yesterday's calm and mildness is going to have to be spread thin until the next nice day arrives I feel!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th Feb 18, 9:26 AM
    • 14,810 Posts
    • 141,286 Thanks
    mardatha
    We've got wind and sleety snow, lying snow melting very very slowly. Poor wee birds in a bad way and I'm stuffing them full of digestive biscuits
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 14th Feb 18, 4:21 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Yesterday was fine here (Shropshire) but today has been as vile as you describe! Just the short ten minute walk back this morning nearly took the skin off my face with the sleety hail coming onto my face at 40+mph horizontally... I was well wrapped up but my face took hours to feel right again...

I've been lucky enough to spend much of the day tucked up with a hot "stone pig" (ceramic Victorian hot water bottle like a mini storage heater!), knitting contentedly and staying cosy, just getting up periodically to move the laundry from machine to dryer to cupboard...

Hot meal tonight, when Mr Nice gets in - we reckon Tesco's 4-portion 'pasta carbonara bake' is excellent - 5, but it does us four portions - we'll eat half of it tonight between us, but then freeze the rest as two portions, using one-person microwaveable trays saved from previous one-portion ready-meal. We only have a small freezer, but the drawer will take these trays, stacked two deep and three high, so we're aiming to gradually fill that drawer with home-made ready-meals - homemade pasta and meat sauces, or soups, or stews... a quick 'ping!' in the microwave and a lovely healthy hot meal!
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 17th Feb 18, 11:13 AM
    • 95 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Just so you know... there's weird weather stuff happening at present, way up in the stratosphere - little agreement on what the results will be, because this event (Sudden Stratospheric Warming or SSW) doesn't happen often, isn't fully understood and is most known in Nov or Dec, not in mid-Feb!

Anyway, the upshot is that the huge global weather patterns up there have been severely disrupted, some now going backwards from their usual direction, etc., and the most probably outcome is that in 5 day or 10 days or 15 days, agin, nobody's sure of the timescale... but in the next week or two we are probably going to have some bitterly cold weather. It may well bring heavy snow, or it may not But one of the strong possibilities is day after day of strong Easterly winds, bringing heavy snow all down the eastern side of the island of Britain. With or without snow, the most likely outcome is frost every night for a lot of nights.

It could, of course, turn out that when it happens in mid-February, an SSW only leads to a sunny mild spring

But the probability is for cold, quite a lot of it... so I thought I'd mention it...

mardatha, you'll already know this, of course!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 17th Feb 18, 5:57 PM
    • 11,655 Posts
    • 162,176 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I'm so glad we're wood womblers, it doesn't matter what the weather can throw at us, unless the house falls down I KNOW we'll have at least one warm room for the duration, I LOVE my woodstove!!!
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 17th Feb 18, 7:57 PM
    • 6,292 Posts
    • 96,109 Thanks
    fuddle
    Just so you know... there's weird weather stuff happening at present, way up in the stratosphere - little agreement on what the results will be, because this event (Sudden Stratospheric Warming or SSW) doesn't happen often, isn't fully understood and is most known in Nov or Dec, not in mid-Feb!

Anyway, the upshot is that the huge global weather patterns up there have been severely disrupted, some now going backwards from their usual direction, etc., and the most probably outcome is that in 5 day or 10 days or 15 days, agin, nobody's sure of the timescale... but in the next week or two we are probably going to have some bitterly cold weather. It may well bring heavy snow, or it may not But one of the strong possibilities is day after day of strong Easterly winds, bringing heavy snow all down the eastern side of the island of Britain. With or without snow, the most likely outcome is frost every night for a lot of nights.

It could, of course, turn out that when it happens in mid-February, an SSW only leads to a sunny mild spring

But the probability is for cold, quite a lot of it... so I thought I'd mention it...

mardatha, you'll already know this, of course!
    Originally posted by Laura_Elsewhere
    Here's me getting excited because I has my towels out on the line today. They didn't dry at all but the sun was shining and they smelt of cold air. I will watch the forecast. No sign of anything yet.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 17th Feb 18, 9:51 PM
    • 14,810 Posts
    • 141,286 Thanks
    mardatha
    I was reading that on the Scots weather forum Laura- we're def getting our money's worth out of this winter
    • kittie
    • By kittie 20th Feb 18, 11:51 AM
    • 11,962 Posts
    • 74,767 Thanks
    kittie
    I have a decent sized food order coming tomorrow and am keeping electric heaters on in various places around the house, keeping the warmth in the house fabric as long as possible. There are some dire predictions out for next week. My vac flasks will be out and ready
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 20th Feb 18, 1:14 PM
    • 6,292 Posts
    • 96,109 Thanks
    fuddle
    Oh drat. Really. I'm just loving these few days of sun and really appreciating the 9 degrees we have today. It's been so cold for so long this winter but I'm pleased my house has passed the damp/condensation/breathing test under quite tough conditions.

Off to go look at the weather for next week but I doubt there's anything on the general channels yet.

Added: it's set for a static high of 2 and low of -2 here but that's been pretty normal for a long time now. If the predictions aren't yet being reflected on BBC weather then am I to assume that it's probably going to be worse?
    Last edited by fuddle; 20-02-2018 at 1:17 PM.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 20th Feb 18, 1:37 PM
    • 11,655 Posts
    • 162,176 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Sudden Stratospheric Warming above the North Pole, apparently 50 degrees of warming is going to disrupt and weaken the Jet Stream and allow the very cold easterly winds to be over the UK through into the first part of March and it's going to be very cold here and possibly very snowy too in all that period. Winter drawers on my friends, and for the foreseeable future too. Better make 'em thermals!

I've just been back to the online Guardian piece I read to make sure the figure of 50degC was actually what they said and it WAS! unbelievable!
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 20-02-2018 at 1:39 PM.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 20th Feb 18, 1:55 PM
    • 11,962 Posts
    • 74,767 Thanks
    kittie
    models are predicting perhaps -15 and potentially a foot of snow, coming after the worst cold. When netweather posters are ecstatic, it means that freezing cold and snow is very likely

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/89342-model-output-discussion-post-ssw-will-it-turn-cold/?page=194
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 20th Feb 18, 2:04 PM
    • 6,292 Posts
    • 96,109 Thanks
    fuddle
    Ok, thank you both.

This actually poses a new scenario here. We're used to West and North winds not used to anything coming at us across the fields out the back which is East. But we're sitting in 160 year old houses that my neighbours told me have seen folks get outside from the bedroom windows as snow was so high so... the house is up to it. Am I oh pampered child of '79. Actually yes! 2010 if I recall. -10 day time temperatures. That was the year I learned wellies offer no thermal protection to the tootsies.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 20th Feb 18, 4:34 PM
    • 11,962 Posts
    • 74,767 Thanks
    kittie
    they are calling it a demon not a beast, worse in sw and starts sun pm/mon am. I`ll copy and paste a chart next but if it changes the page width then I will remove it. On next post. Could still be wobbles btw
    • kittie
    • By kittie 20th Feb 18, 4:35 PM
    • 11,962 Posts
    • 74,767 Thanks
    kittie
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 20th Feb 18, 5:20 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 6,769 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    Thank you, Kittie. I'd heard bad weather was coming and that it will probably hit the south worse than us in the north west. I will warn both DDs to stock up and they will probably say something like "Oh Mum, stop fussing". We live on the edge of the Pennines so I do keep a good store cupboard as I hate going out if it's icy. My DDs have moved to the south east and haven't had a bad winter down there yet.DD2 hardly keeps any food in -everytime I go and stay I end up going out to buy the basics which she then uses up and doesn't replace.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 20th Feb 18, 5:35 PM
    • 11,655 Posts
    • 162,176 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Think I'll get some more canisters for the camping gas stove in case we get any power disruption because of ice build up on the power lines. We've got solar lights and the stove to keep us warm so all the basics in place but I've limited camping gas and would feel happier if I knew I'd enough to last more than a week. I bought the little single burner stove in the autumn and only got 4 canisters of gas as I have a big single burner that goes on a big blue gas bottle and I've got 2 of those full.

KITTIE is there any indication of how long the temperatures will be staying low during this weather event?
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 20-02-2018 at 5:37 PM.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 20th Feb 18, 5:51 PM
    • 11,962 Posts
    • 74,767 Thanks
    kittie
    [QUOTE=MrsLurcherwalker;73911227

KITTIE is there any indication of how long the temperatures will be staying low during this weather event?[/QUOTE]

A relatively long time, looks like a late spring. Quite possibly v cold all through march. The ground will be too cold for early seed sowing and I have just been out and empted the water butts. Not sure about snow yet. If it snows then it is going to be difficult for sheep farmers

If anyone goes for a walk if we get a big lot of snow then for goodness sake be careful of snowdrifts. Sinking in one is instantaneous, I sank up to my waist once, never realised it was a drift. Take a pole and check the ground in front of you. People died in the past
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

405Posts Today

4,201Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin