Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TheMagician
    • By TheMagician 24th Nov 14, 10:29 PM
    • 272Posts
    • 556Thanks
    TheMagician
    Women and cats will do as they please! :)
    • 24th Nov 14, 10:29 PM
    Women and cats will do as they please! :) 24th Nov 14 at 10:29 PM
    Hi all

I'm not actually in debt as such but I need this diary to keep me on track with all of my plans and for all the wonderful support people here offer

I work full time in finance and study CIMA on a side, life can get pretty hectic

Me and my son terribly want our own home and a kitty (I absolutely loooooove cats) and I am looking forward to being free of restrictions renting causes.

So, the plan is to save as much as possible every single month and to put that towards the house deposit. We are both super duper excited about this and gonna work damn hard to get the money we need so I'm going to use this diary to record our milestones and keep us focused
    Last edited by TheMagician; 29-08-2015 at 7:58 PM.
Page 17
    • TheMagician
    • By TheMagician 19th Jun 18, 5:59 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    TheMagician
    Parent's evening tonight. It went well, DS has exceeded his yearly targets and the teacher has no concerns whatsoever. All good on that front

The Funzing event has been cancelled, that's a bit disappointing but never mind. Will book onto something else.

Have pretty much spent all day talking rubbish with my friend Didn't get much done apart from making lunch and that's fine by me Will get into a hot bath and read one of the books I want to finish before the end of June.

Another 1lb lost, getting closer to my target. Exercise has been helping me to tone up as well as lose weight. A friend has challenged me to a Transformation July. I will join a gym for 1 month and do weights 3 days a week. Other 4 days I'll be doing yoga. He tells me that I tone and grow muscle quicker than anyone else he's seen and he wants to see the results we could achieve in such a short amount of time. So I said GAME ON My diet is already pretty perfect so I won't need to change that, just the gym. Will take before and after pics obviously (very very sad )

Going out on Sat night and school open day on Thursday. Apart from that, I'm a free bird
    • TheMagician
    • By TheMagician 29th Jun 18, 1:09 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    TheMagician
    I've not had that much to update on hence no posts.
    Thought I'd drop in though since it's nice to keep this going.

Things are going well. I have been doing a lot of reading, relaxing, spending time with DS and preparing myself for the new chapter.

I have stuck with doing yoga every day, in fact I've stopped even thinking about it - I just do it. This is the longest time I've ever done yoga without skipping a single day. On Monday I'm signing up to the gym for one month as mentioned previously to do a month of weights and yoga. Let's see where that gets me. Really excited about it, haven't been to the gym for years, always work out at home.
    Will also weight myself tomorrow to see how much I've lost this month - fingers crossed for that

Doing my CBT on Sunday. I am beyond excited, can't wait, will have the best time ever.

Had some interesting news today. Anyone that receives child support will know that CSA changed to Child Maintenance Service. My case has been passed on and reevaluated and I've had some good news - I'm due an extra 1,000 a year, which is a huge bonus. Really happy about that
    I also had 30 of TCB old transactions clear so cashed that to Amaz@n vouchers.

5 days till final exam results - let the new life begin
    • TheMagician
    • By TheMagician 5th Jul 18, 6:18 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    TheMagician
    Well, today is a day to celebrate
    I have received my results and I PASSED I needed 80pts and I got 96 so I was well and truly safe, just as I'd felt. I am now fully qualified.

This has been and will be celebrated with everyone I know All of my friends and family have congratulated me and I feel absolutely fantastic.

Let the new life commence!

So that's the biggest news. I did do my CBT and it was amazing. However, it was over 30C all day long and I was absolutely sweltering under all of my bike gear. I will have to come back for another half day to get my certificate but I loved it so much Can't wait to get my motorbike.

I weighed myself and I have now lost 11lbs since April I'd say I'm about half way there now, I keep pushing how much more I wanna lose but I wanna get back to a comfortable size 8. Should get there over the next couple of months. Back to my best and then some, in every way possible
    • monz
    • By monz 6th Jul 18, 9:08 AM
    • 3,337 Posts
    • 11,080 Thanks
    monz
    Thats amazing!!! well done on passing!!!!!
    Debt (1/9/14) 6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016)
    house pot for bobs after fees : 33
    car PCP - 948.95/11848.25 mum and dad 1,300/4,000 mortgage - 83,378 o/s currently - paid 934.10 (19.65 overpayment)
    Christmas - 0/500
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 6th Jul 18, 10:02 AM
    • 731 Posts
    • 1,751 Thanks
    Shelbi
    Congratulations on passing your CIMA!! x
    DFD-01.03.2018
    Save for xmas-34/365
    Emergency Fund- 3,000/3,000 (revised amount)
    House Deposit- 1,020.52/25,000.
    Jul'18- NSD- 5/20- Bring Lunch to work 6/20
    make-5pd in Jul- 20.52/155 Parcel 1/25
    • TheMagician
    • By TheMagician 6th Jul 18, 3:03 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    TheMagician
    Thank you monz & Shelbi, very kind of you
    I'm over the moon still.
    So many plans wizzing through my head, have already set the wheels in motion.
    Got a feeling next week is going to be a big one - changes are coming.

It's Friday We are going to spend Sunday afternoon at my friend's having dinner and celebrating, some wine might be involved too Not for DS obviously Apart from that, we have no plans so we'll just go with it. It's a tiny bit cooler today and less sunny which means we can spend more time outdoors so we might go to the park
    • TheMagician
    • By TheMagician 9th Aug 18, 6:12 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    TheMagician
    Can't believe it's been over a month!

Life has carried on being just as turbulent as it's been since the beginning of the year But all in good ways.
    There is somebody new in my life It was completely unexpected and sudden. Things are still very new but so far it's been lovely in so many ways.
    I was all about career but the universe had different plans for us and I must abide So off I go on a date tonight

Work front is still very much up in the air, things are moving along. I have been approached for FD roles now I'm qualified, I'm thinking of giving it a chance. I have never been in that position before so I don't know whether I'd love it or not but I'm always up for trying something different.

Apart from that, things are moving along nicely. I've carried on losing weight and now only have 3kg left but I'm already feeling a million times better than before.

I will pop back to update the diary when something happens Until then, the universe has got your back!
    • monz
    • By monz 10th Aug 18, 8:33 AM
    • 3,337 Posts
    • 11,080 Thanks
    monz
    Hope you had a great date last night xx
    Debt (1/9/14) 6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016)
    house pot for bobs after fees : 33
    car PCP - 948.95/11848.25 mum and dad 1,300/4,000 mortgage - 83,378 o/s currently - paid 934.10 (19.65 overpayment)
    Christmas - 0/500
    • TheMagician
    • By TheMagician 11th Aug 18, 9:56 AM
    • 272 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    TheMagician
    Hi monz The date was perfect, we had so much to talk about. I find it fascinating how sometimes you meet someone and you feel so close to them and you share much more than you would with anyone else. Food was good, so was wine and there was plenty of it Will take my time with this one, goodness knows I have learnt from all of my past mistakes.

Beautiful day today. My bestie is doing Tough Mudder I mean, why would you do that to yourself... Will meet up after.
    Not sure what we'll get up to today yet but outside is calling
    • TheMagician
    • By TheMagician 31st Aug 18, 10:03 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    TheMagician
    Greetings from sunny Croatia. Our last holiday before the school starts.

Things have been happening and I don't think they will slow down any time soon.

I've had some news - I've been offered a job. It's a mix of what I always wanted to do at my previous job (M&A) and what I've already done before. It's a 25% pay rise, near home and relatively flexible hours but FT. I'm thinking of taking it. I could do with the money and there is so much I can learn on this job. It's definitely the way forward if I want to earn big bucks in finance... I'll decide once back next week.

Date guy thing didn't go much further. I liked him but felt he was not mature enough for me. Next! I'm just busy with work and DS. If someone amazing comes along, I'm more than open to it but otherwise I'm not wasting my time.

I have been having crazy lucid dreams whilst on holiday! I don't think I've ever experienced this before. They're so real and just keep going on and on, moving from one topic to the next. One felt so true that I had to check my phone once awake to check whether it happened in real life. So odd
    • TheMagician
    • By TheMagician 2nd Sep 18, 4:13 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    TheMagician
    I don't know what's got into me but for the last couple of days I have not stopped thinking about life in general.

Last night I had an in-depth conversation with my best friend about the meaning of life and achieving things. He said he did not aim to achieve anything in particular, he just wanted to be happy and make others happy.

I feel like even being able to consider the meaning of life is such a luxury and I truly appreciate this chance that I've been given. It means you're not ill and in pain, not battling mental health issues, you're not struggling to put food on the table, you're not caring for someone else 24/7 or working your fingers to the bone. You've been given the chance to sit still knowing your life is in order in every possible way. To a lot of people, their purpose is just to survive.

Everywhere I turn for answers, happiness comes into it. But what if I'm already happy and always have been? Does that mean I have achieved life's purpose and I just have to keep on going? I feel like there's more and I think it's to do with others. I'm blessed with DS and the relationship we have and it definitely gives me purpose to make sure he's happy and well looked after. Much more meaningful than just taking care of me. So what else what I do to build on this?

The only other thing I can think of is the material side of life. I've always been a minimalist when it comes to things, they give me no purpose whatsoever. But maybe having a huge bank balance that I can use for something can? Having a large enough house to have friends and family stay over or just to hold dinners at.

I feel like anything that's to do with just me is too easy, has to be. I can be whoever I want, I can mould my body whichever way, fix it, amend it, I can eat healthily and work out, I can read books and educate myself. It cannot be that easy, I've been doing it for as long as I can remember. Plus, it also feels selfish, my whole life cannot just be about me, surely?.. But what about the monks who just spend their time on themselves meditating?

I'm sure I'll come back to this with some answers. What gives you purpose?
    • TheMagician
    • By TheMagician 5th Sep 18, 9:41 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    TheMagician
    We are back home and I'm so grateful It's always nice to go away and just as nice to come back.

The travel back was a little stressful, the queue at the boarder was insane But overall, we did ok

Got home, went food shopping, unpacked everything and got my my nails done including toes. Beach always does such damage but it's worth it Had a long long bath, got my beauty regiment done and I feel amazing again

Had another offer of an interview for another job. Not sure on this one, will probably be a no, the company is huge but making losses and I don't want that on my CV. People that don't work in finance might not even be aware how their company is doing but for anyone interested you can find the info on the Company's House. Very important to be clued up! And get out before the boat sinks...

Back to the above post about life's purpose. Well, I'm still not sure BUT I've got a plan for the next 12 months that will definitely help me achieve some of my huge goals and will keep me out of trouble. I want the next year to be amazing in so many ways and I will note down the exact steps to achieve it Bring it on!
    • TheMagician
    • By TheMagician 8th Sep 18, 9:59 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    TheMagician
    Had another interview on Friday, went well. Will find out more next week.

Did a lot of house stuff today. Cleaned out the hammies, defrosted the freezer, the laundry basket is empty and I did a big shop.

I then made the most delicious veg stew My first time making it and I did add onto the recipe but the end result was beautiful. If anyone is interested, I fried off an onion, some garlic and a chilli pepper, added a lot of veg (courgette, fine beans, baby sweetcorn, pepper and an aubergine), a tin of chopped tomatoes, smoked paprika, pepper, two stock cubes, a tin of kidney beans and 100g of creamed coconut (not the same as coconut milk, it comes in a block), topped up with water. Perfect for autumn

Food in Croatia wasn't the best, they eat a lot of baked produce and pizza/pasta/burgers. So I'm really enjoying getting back to my Harcombe diet way of eating, it's bliss. I'm going to be on zero sugar for a while.

Feeling a bit lazy tonight, fancy a hot bath and an early night.
    Last edited by TheMagician; 09-09-2018 at 1:31 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,712Posts Today

7,310Users online

Martin's Twitter