Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    ScorpioLady
    Tesco Value snobbery??
    • 26th Jul 07, 1:29 PM
    Tesco Value snobbery?? 26th Jul 07 at 1:29 PM
    I've just had my Tesco shopping delivered, am desperately trying to economise so ordered loads of 'value' goods. Now I don't have a problem with buying these but I do have a problem with them dotted around the house (reminding me all the time I am poor!!), so I go around putting them all into the more 'expensive' containers ie Fairy Liquid, Listerine mouthwash, etc etc and then destroy all the cheap packaging!!!!!
    Feel quite satisfied with myself that I only spent a fraction of the cost I was thinking of all you other OS posters and wondered if everyone does the same and what other tips along the same lines do you have.

I do realise it is 'value' snobbery, so please don't berate me for that, but we all probably having our coping strategies for living on a tight budget and I wondered what yours were??

PS I am still struggling with how to swap the toothpaste into an 'expensive' tube though!!!!!! Any suggestions??

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Deborah; 22-07-2008 at 4:36 PM.
Page 1
    • Moneybubbles
    • By Moneybubbles 26th Jul 07, 1:34 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    Moneybubbles
    • 26th Jul 07, 1:34 PM
    • 26th Jul 07, 1:34 PM
    I tend to do this with cereal!!

I would put the toothpaste into a cupboard in the bathroom I don't like anything on show in the bathroom!

Ermm I use tablet soap and ecover liquid and find I only need a little bit as lasts ages therefore saving money and looking good on the environment
    it costs nothing to smile
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 26th Jul 07, 1:37 PM
    • 13,109 Posts
    • 115,329 Thanks
    lil_me
    • 26th Jul 07, 1:37 PM
    • 26th Jul 07, 1:37 PM
    Doesn't bother me in the slightest, I buy what I am happy with and if anyone else has an issue with it, not my problem! Toothpaste if you must maybe use a sterilised soap dispenser ? Don't know if the pump would clog it up. I've always felt sorry for people sucked in with the brands thing, I go on what I like, find the cheapest that I like and buy it with things like household stuff etc. I know someone who would have a fit if other people knew she shopping in Lidl. I seen her there once and she said pleased don't tell anyone I shop there, sad really.
    Last edited by lil_me; 26-07-2007 at 1:40 PM.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: 250.00
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Cazzdevil
    • 26th Jul 07, 1:50 PM
    • 26th Jul 07, 1:50 PM
    I don't look at the value stuff in my cupboard and think "oh dear, look how poor I am", I look at it and think "wow, how stupidly expensive would it have been if I'd bought branded stuff, aren't I good for saving so much money!".

Half the time (if not more) the value stuff is from the same manufacturer as the branded stuff anyway.
  • Cazzdevil
    • 26th Jul 07, 1:51 PM
    • 26th Jul 07, 1:51 PM
    Does that make me a "reverse-snob"?
    • sockospice
    • By sockospice 26th Jul 07, 2:06 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    sockospice
    • 26th Jul 07, 2:06 PM
    • 26th Jul 07, 2:06 PM
    Maybe you could get into the mindset 'look at me, I'm not buying into marketing hype, I am a savvy consumer who is not swayed by a big advertising budget'.
  • Mariel
    • 26th Jul 07, 2:10 PM
    • 26th Jul 07, 2:10 PM
    I'm always a bit bemused by my OH and eldest daughter laughing at me for buying value. They like the stuff so what's funny about it? Don't understand some people!
  • Outnumberedbysmallpeople
    • 26th Jul 07, 2:15 PM
    Like Cazzdevil i have to say i look at my trolley and mentally laugh at the fact my sister spends twice what i do when she buys for 2 than what i spend buying for 6... but then again I have never been independantly wealthy (was whilst living with my parents then crashed down to earth with a biiig whallop one settling down with my husband at 17) so i don't know if it's more a case of never had can't miss when it comes to my home?

Since my parents bankruptcy though i have had to retrain my mother to shop intelligently and she does the "hiding" trick as my dad doesn't deal well with not having what they used to :rolleyes:
    • Pollybear
    • By Pollybear 26th Jul 07, 2:15 PM
    • 3,051 Posts
    • 57,101 Thanks
    Pollybear
    It doesn't bother me at all, I don't hide anything.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 26th Jul 07, 2:19 PM
    • 6,655 Posts
    • 11,296 Thanks
    Farway
    I have heard of this putting value stuff into brand packages, but I've never bothered, as other posters say, if someone has a problem with my values then that is their problem & not mine

I just buy what i think is is good value & I like and let the world think what it will
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 26th Jul 07, 2:26 PM
    • 7,473 Posts
    • 24,341 Thanks
    newlywed
    If I'm serving it to others (ie visitors) then I do take it out the packets - eg I'll take the value biccies out the pack and lay them out nicely on a plate - but then I used to do that with posh biccies too
    Grocery Challenge August = 300 hopefully!
    DMP support thread (member #32)

• kittie
    • By kittie 26th Jul 07, 2:33 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,967 Thanks
    kittie
    aldi items are even better value then value
  • Hardup Hester
    I decant cheap cheap bubblebath into hand wash dispensers, but more for convenience than snobbery.

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • daisyroots
    My snobbery comes from a different direction. I decant into the prettiest pack, the one that appeals to me in terms of colour, design or wording. Or the sturdiest, sometimes. It's your home, not Tesco's, and you arrange it to please yourself, my love.
    All Art is the transfiguration of the commonplace
    Member #6 SKI-ers Club
    • Raspberry Swirl
    • By Raspberry Swirl 26th Jul 07, 3:12 PM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 1,439 Thanks
    Raspberry Swirl
    it just makes me happy that my food cupboards are full and i didn't break the bank doing it. couldn't care less what packaging stuff is in...
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 26th Jul 07, 3:14 PM
    • 4,237 Posts
    • 9,318 Thanks
    Linda32
    As it has been said, I couldn't care less either, I certainly don't feel poor doing it, more like tight IMO

We've recently swopped all smellies to value/basics range and I havn't found anything yet which isn't up to scratch.

As for tooth paste, I guess that could be your one luxury brand and just buy whatever named brand is on BOGOF
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 26th Jul 07, 3:27 PM
    • 16,678 Posts
    • 48,768 Thanks
    freyasmum
    I have to agree with most others... I couldn't care less what the packaging is like, as long as the product itself works. Having said that, I have loads of tubes of 'branded' toothpaste (and a few (:rolleyes other things - showergels, shampoos, etc as Tesco gave me them when they had their coupons). If you feel like you really can't use the cheap packaging, buy the more expensive when it's on offer as I can't imagine you would find an easy way to decant the toothpaste.

Lx
    • Yategirl
    • By Yategirl 26th Jul 07, 3:43 PM
    • 841 Posts
    • 3,335 Thanks
    Yategirl
    My snobbery comes from a different direction. I decant into the prettiest pack, the one that appeals to me in terms of colour, design or wording. Or the sturdiest, sometimes. It's your home, not Tesco's, and you arrange it to please yourself, my love.
    Originally posted by daisyroots
    Hear Hear! Until my children became toddlers (and got heavy handed..... :rolleyes: ) I used to decant all soap and shower gel etc into ceramic soap dispensers.... not because I didn't want people to see what I used (though it is nice when they don't know! ) but because the dispensers matched the decor I had.

Choose the dispensers (for example) that match your decor... whether "other empty brand bottles" or ones you have bought (there are loads out there that are so cheap in tesco/asda etc... and in all sorts of patterns/colours!)

Arrange your home to suit you!
  • dolly day dream
    I have great fun with this. I am on a very tight budget and value products are a must. Quite often I meet parents of pupils in the supermarkets and the looks on their faces when they look in my basket is priceless. Ashamed - never - I am buying within my budget and not getting into needless debt. I am also proud to say that most of what they see is ingredients.

I consider myself very lucky to live in a country where we can still buy food relatively cheaply. I was astonished to discover that if I were living in Bangladesh to buy enough for a healthy diet - no frills - would cost the equivalent of over 1000 a week! The United Nations have started to show food costs in relative terms so that we in the west can truly understand the difficulties faced by the rest of the world.
    True wealth lies in contentment - not cash. Dollydaydream 2006
    • angelavdavis
    • By angelavdavis 26th Jul 07, 6:14 PM
    • 4,705 Posts
    • 7,325 Thanks
    angelavdavis
    I once had an open house last summer - and fed everyone on cold meats, salads, etc from Lidl.

Of course no one knew and there were all sorts of great comments on the food.

A few months later, when discussing supermarkets with friends and OH's family, I got "Oh, I wouldn't buy anything from Lidl - poor quality...."

So, did I keep it to myself, did I heck! I relished dropping the bombshell!
    Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

203Posts Today

1,670Users online

Martin's Twitter