Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 6th Nov 14, 4:53 PM
    • 9,061Posts
    • 54,314Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Three choices in life; Give up, Give in or Give all you've got!!
    • 6th Nov 14, 4:53 PM
    Three choices in life; Give up, Give in or Give all you've got!! 6th Nov 14 at 4:53 PM
    This is my 2nd diary on MSE. My first diary, "When I asked for luck I didn't mean the bad variety!!" has to be closed as it's reached over 5000 posts!! It can be found here;

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3911061

In 2011 my Husband had a motorcycle accident resulting in a severe brain injury, memory problems and Epilepsy. Unfortunately he is getting worse not better and I am now his full time Carer, which can be challenging, but I'm ever grateful he is still here! I also have 2 boys aged 10 and almost 5, a part time job and I'm currently a Beaver Leader but I've just given notice to leave at Christmas (as much as it pains me!) as I just can't manage that too. The last 3.5 years have been hard going for lots of reasons, but worth it. Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day!!

At the time of the accident we owed over £23,700 on credit cards and we currently owe just over £3000. Hopefully this diary will see us getting debt free forever! I hope you'll join me.

Lucky Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in 2018 37/60
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
Page 244
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 7th Oct 18, 4:24 PM
    • 9,061 Posts
    • 54,314 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Thanks everyone, I think you are right I need to make more time for me. Iím sick of being the boring sensible one who puts everyone else first and spends more time being worried than chilled/happy. Iíve been feeling very flat/numb and itís scared me a bit as Iím usually so emotional.

So this morning didnít go to plan. Woke to find water pouring through the ceiling from the loft. The ball float had eroded and broken off in the tank, so the tank was working overtime thinking it was empty . Best Mate came to the rescue and it actually only cost £2.50 to fix which Iím chuffed about as it could have been MUCH worse. Lots of clearing up to do though .

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 8th Oct 18, 8:04 AM
    • 6,233 Posts
    • 42,701 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    What a nightmare

Glad it was sorted quickly and cheaply though.
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £404.08
    Debt £2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    Emergency Fund £4000/£10,000
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 8th Oct 18, 8:54 AM
    • 5,239 Posts
    • 36,961 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thanks everyone, I think you are right I need to make more time for me. Iím sick of being the boring sensible one who puts everyone else first and spends more time being worried than chilled/happy. Iíve been feeling very flat/numb and itís scared me a bit as Iím usually so emotional.

So this morning didnít go to plan. Woke to find water pouring through the ceiling from the loft. The ball float had eroded and broken off in the tank, so the tank was working overtime thinking it was empty . Best Mate came to the rescue and it actually only cost £2.50 to fix which Iím chuffed about as it could have been MUCH worse. Lots of clearing up to do though .
    Originally posted by please-let-me-be-lucky
    What a shock to wake up to . Glad it's sorted now.

Definitely make more time for yourself. You can look after others better if you look after yourself. You sound like you need a break from DH. Can MIL take over for a day and you have a day purely for yourself?
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 9th Oct 18, 9:43 PM
    • 6,233 Posts
    • 42,701 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    I know it's hard when you've got the boys, but could Mr Lucky's BF take him for the day and someone else take the boys. Then you could have some time to yourself which you so obviously need xx
    Debt £2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 10th Oct 18, 2:33 PM
    • 9,061 Posts
    • 54,314 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Feeling a wee bit more myself today. Sorry about my previous misery!! Will try to organise DH being with Best Mate for the day while the boys are at school, and then I can have some time to myself.

Today was the dreaded DWP Assessment. We arrived at 10 for a 10.15am appointment, to be told there was a 20-30 minute delay. We were called in just after 11, and at that point they were telling those arriving that the delay was at least an hour and a half . The Dr that took our appointment was actually really nice. Fingers crossed the benefits will just be renewed and continue, but we wonít find out for a few weeks. We didnít actually get out of the place until nearly 12.

Some welcome items in the post today. £15 Tesco gift card that I won last week has arrived, along with a £2 cheque and £2 vouchers from the makers of WW wraps by way of an apology. I fired off a quick email of complaint to them last week after the pack I bought only had 5 wraps in not 6. Worth complaining . When I won the gift card I imagined buying a Christmas present with it, but in reality we are so skint and desperate for diesel so Iíll probably use it for that. I had to lift £50 back out of the Christmas pot to help pay the mortgage .

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 10th Oct 18, 4:22 PM
    • 6,233 Posts
    • 42,701 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    What a faff with the DWP appointment. Mr SA was called for one last year, although when the doctor saw the state of him he apologised for him having to be assessed. He's so obviously not right there's no hiding it. It's a shame when the genuine cases have to go through this because of the malingerers (and you could spot them straight away in the waiting room).

Well done on the gift card, cheque and vouchers. I once emailed Garnier telling them how much I loved their lemon body lotion and they sent me a voucher for a free bottle. They were probably shocked to get praise rather than complaints Unfortunately I can no longer find this particular body lotion so I must've been the only one who bought it.

Sorry to read you had to raid Christmas funds I'm sure you'll recoup though you are so resourceful.
    Debt £2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Oct 18, 5:06 PM
    • 57,444 Posts
    • 235,257 Thanks
    beanielou
    Boo to the christmas raid.
    Good news on the gift card but boo to the deisel.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • dawnybabes
    • By dawnybabes 11th Oct 18, 8:37 AM
    • 1,584 Posts
    • 3,884 Thanks
    dawnybabes

Well done on the gift card, cheque and vouchers. I once emailed Garnier telling them how much I loved their lemon body lotion and they sent me a voucher for a free bottle. They were probably shocked to get praise rather than complaints Unfortunately I can no longer find this particular body lotion so I must've been the only one who bought it.
    Originally posted by Sun Addict

L'occitane citrus verbena is lovely and lemonly, expensive though .... maybe ask for Christmas
    Sealed pot challenge 822

Jan - £176.66
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 11th Oct 18, 5:49 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 6,519 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    I hope all goes well with DWP.

Hooray you were able to make the mortgage payment even if you jphad to raid a pot, you will make things work x
    As a dear MSE friend says ďkeep ploddingĒ
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 12th Oct 18, 9:03 PM
    • 9,061 Posts
    • 54,314 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Thanks all.

Paying for the diesel didnít go to plan. Filled the car with exactly £15, and went in to pay, only to be told that you canít Pay for Tesco fuel in a Tesco filling station with a Tesco gift card . Literally had no other money, so had to put it on emergency credit card . Have emailed them to complain but they havenít replied yet.

Lost 5.5lbs at fat class today .

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Oct 18, 9:13 PM
    • 57,444 Posts
    • 235,257 Thanks
    beanielou
    Thanks all.

Paying for the diesel didnít go to plan. Filled the car with exactly £15, and went in to pay, only to be told that you canít Pay for Tesco fuel in a Tesco filling station with a Tesco gift card . Literally had no other money, so had to put it on emergency credit card . Have emailed them to complain but they havenít replied yet.

Lost 5.5lbs at fat class today .
    Originally posted by please-let-me-be-lucky
    What the bleep is all that about

Great loss

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 13th Oct 18, 12:17 AM
    • 466 Posts
    • 3,015 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Hopefully they'll apologise by giving you another gift card for a reasonable amount. Wonder what would have happened if you hadn't had your credit card with you!
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th Oct 18, 5:24 PM
    • 6,233 Posts
    • 42,701 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Well done on the weight loss

Thank goodness you had the emergency card. What would've happened if you hadn't - you can't put diesel back?
    Debt £2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 13th Oct 18, 5:36 PM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 15,649 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    I'm not wise with words or sure how to make you feel better. Echo the others though.

Take care of yourself too
    x
    ďOnce you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.Ē
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 13th Oct 18, 5:41 PM
    • 9,061 Posts
    • 54,314 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Well Tesco basically said tough. A little bit more flowery than that but the bottom line was, get on with it. No offer of any kind of recompense. Totally different to the makers of WW wraps the other day who had much nicer customer service.

Mum came round as sheís been on holiday. She saves her change in a pot for the boys rather than giving them pocket money, and sheíd brought it over with her. There was almost £45! DS2 helped me count it, DS1 was nowhere to be seen. DS2 suggested we tell DS1 that there was £10 each, and then send the other £25 to Santa . Heís such a sweet boy.

Today has been a NSD .

• please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 13th Oct 18, 5:42 PM
    • 9,061 Posts
    • 54,314 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    I'm not wise with words or sure how to make you feel better. Echo the others though.

Take care of yourself too
    x
    Originally posted by WannabeFree
    Cross posted Wannabe.

Thank you Xx

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Oct 18, 5:53 PM
    • 57,444 Posts
    • 235,257 Thanks
    beanielou
    Your DS2 sounds so sweet

***Keep plodding***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th Oct 18, 6:59 PM
    • 6,233 Posts
    • 42,701 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    You're like me with two very different children. Although your DS1 has been possessed by hormones and will probably emerge as a much nicer young man eventually xx
    Debt £2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 13th Oct 18, 8:15 PM
    • 6,316 Posts
    • 23,707 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Just catching up with the past few days PLMBL.

How annoying that you can't use the gift card for petrol, I would have never known that.

How cute is your DS2 for saying that xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £5419.83 - 08/04/18 - 76.61% paid off
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 18th Oct 18, 1:58 PM
    • 9,061 Posts
    • 54,314 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Not sure why I havenít been on for a few days .

Havenít heard from DWP re decision yet. Saw DHís Epilepsy Consultant on Monday though, and we are keeping the meds as they are for now, unless the weirdness of a couple of weeks ago returns. He offered a new drug, but it has a bad impact on mood, and DH already has bad moods so we werenít keen. Something to think about in future though.

DS2 has been off school for a couple of days after being sick on Monday night. Heís been absolutely fine since, but school have a 48 hour rule so he wasnít allowed back until today. We went Halloween decoration shopping yesterday at Poundland and B&M which he loved.

Cheque from Populus arrived as I hit £50 payout limit . Have got lots of things listed on eBay at the moment too as DH has had a clear out. Fingers crossed they make lots of money for Christmas.

Got over my huff with Mr T and did some shopping with them today, as they have some toys reduced that are on DS2ís Christmas list. Between those bargains and a bit of food shopping I spent over £60 so got the 10p off a litre of fuel coupon. That saved me £2.20 on diesel . I also used the coupon in the Mr T magazine for a free 6 pack of W@lkers baked crisps, so feel I have been recompensed a little for the fiasco last week .

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,882Posts Today

9,248Users online

Martin's Twitter