Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 6th Nov 14, 4:53 PM
    • 9,142Posts
    • 55,051Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Three choices in life; Give up, Give in or Give all you've got!!
    • 6th Nov 14, 4:53 PM
    Three choices in life; Give up, Give in or Give all you've got!! 6th Nov 14 at 4:53 PM
    This is my 2nd diary on MSE. My first diary, "When I asked for luck I didn't mean the bad variety!!" has to be closed as it's reached over 5000 posts!! It can be found here;

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3911061

In 2011 my Husband had a motorcycle accident resulting in a severe brain injury, memory problems and Epilepsy. Unfortunately he is getting worse not better and I am now his full time Carer, which can be challenging, but I'm ever grateful he is still here! I also have 2 boys aged 10 and almost 5, a part time job and I'm currently a Beaver Leader but I've just given notice to leave at Christmas (as much as it pains me!) as I just can't manage that too. The last 3.5 years have been hard going for lots of reasons, but worth it. Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day!!

At the time of the accident we owed over £23,700 on credit cards and we currently owe just over £3000. Hopefully this diary will see us getting debt free forever! I hope you'll join me.

Lucky Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in 2018 38/60
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
Page 241
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 14th Sep 18, 8:20 PM
    • 6,317 Posts
    • 43,555 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Can't believe the school trip What are the school thinking of? They need to get in the real world. Oh yes it would be a fantastic trip but one to make with family not school! When I was at school we went to Kew Gardens and Skegness!
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £404.08
    Debt £2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    Emergency Fund £4000/£10,000
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 15th Sep 18, 5:48 PM
    • 9,142 Posts
    • 55,051 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    My school trips were to Holy Island and the local beaches! I remember my cousin went to Wimbledon to watch a tennis match with her school and I thought that was the most extravagant thing Iíd ever heard .

So the boys and I have hung around the house today. DS1 has been holed up in his room, DS2 has been in and out with his pals and Iíve cleared out my wardrobe, listed on eBay, ironed and weeded, not necessarily in that order!! DH has been with Best Mate all day .

NSD achieved .

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 15th Sep 18, 6:12 PM
    • 5,708 Posts
    • 40,263 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Sounds like a productive day. Well done on the NSD.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Sep 18, 7:10 PM
    • 58,002 Posts
    • 238,667 Thanks
    beanielou
    All good
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 16th Sep 18, 3:52 PM
    • 9,142 Posts
    • 55,051 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Tempers fraught here today. Short version of a long story is that MiL wanted DH and DS1ís help buying a new laptop for herself. DS1 went begrudgingly and in a mood which upset everyone else as itís the least he could do for his Gran. They were kept waiting in the shop for a sales assistant for 20 minutes, and then the Manager came over and said the person they needed was on his lunch break but wouldnít be long. DH exploded apparently and yelled at the manager before storming out. I now have to take MiL to a different shop tomorrow .

I havenít been across the door again today, so another NSD. The fridge is absolutely bare though, so will have to get some food shopping tomorrow before we all starve. Spent all last night entering competitions and doing surveys in a bid to help myself out for Christmas. Itís getting worryingly close and I only have one gift and ZERO savings .

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Sep 18, 5:15 PM
    • 58,002 Posts
    • 238,667 Thanks
    beanielou
    Not the best of days then.
    They happen sadly.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 16th Sep 18, 8:53 PM
    • 6,317 Posts
    • 43,555 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Talk about deja vu - I remember only too well my 15 year old DS being "forced" to go shopping with MIL, grumpy teenager wasn't the word She was so cross with him and so was I. Glad those days are over and he's now a very normal loving father of two
    Debt £2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 17th Sep 18, 6:36 PM
    • 9,142 Posts
    • 55,051 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    I certainly hope my DS1 comes through like your DS has SA. Heís a selfish £@&(;:?! right now .

DS2 has been off school poorly today so DH went with MiL alone to buy the laptop. I used the time at home to do more surveys and Iíve cashed out a £10 voucher on one site . Thatís Christmas started .

Not a NSD as I got some food shopping in. Fridge still bare though .

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 17th Sep 18, 8:18 PM
    • 6,317 Posts
    • 43,555 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    I bet food doesn't last 5 minutes in your house with two growing lads

Honestly my DS was a right pain for a few years from the age of 15. Makes me laugh when he moans about teenagers now.

Well done on the surveys.
    Debt £2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Sep 18, 8:22 PM
    • 58,002 Posts
    • 238,667 Thanks
    beanielou
    I think my DS had hollow legs & arms at that age

***Keep plodding***
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 18th Sep 18, 6:58 PM
    • 9,142 Posts
    • 55,051 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    My 2 both think a bowl of cereal and milk makes a good snack at the moment. Will have to stock up!

Partial seizure for DH last night and another day off school sick for DS2. Red cross on the door again! Feel awful saying it, but Iím getting more than a little frustrated with DH saying one thing and doing another, or forgetting everything instantly. Itís rather tiring trying to keep up.

Weird weather here today. The end of Tropical Storm Helene and the start of Storm Ali have shown us really heavy rain, gale force winds and 20 degree sunshine in equal measure.

Still no sign of the cheque for £250 I won from the radio station. They said allow 28 days and itís been 30. Will give it til next Monday Xx

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th Sep 18, 8:47 PM
    • 58,002 Posts
    • 238,667 Thanks
    beanielou
    Just get in touch with the radio station now

***Keep plodding***
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 19th Sep 18, 8:30 PM
    • 9,142 Posts
    • 55,051 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Will do it tomorrow Beanie if it still hasnít materialised.

What a day today! DS2 still poorly with this awful cold so another day off school. Got stuck in traffic taking DS1 to school, and he had a full on panic attack about being late . Apparently if they are late 3 times they get detention at the new school. He hasnít even been late once! Tried explaining this and said Iíd tell the school about the traffic problem, but he wasnít having it. After being stuck in the car for almost an hour he threw up and was shaking violently so I had to bring him home .

Next, I heard Grandma was taken into hospital again with a heart rate of 180 . Itís more normal now but they are keeping her in.

Then my friendís dog ran off in the woods. She was distraught so I went to help look for her. 6 hours later she was found. We didnít know whether to hug her or throttle her. Being in the woods in gale force winds wasnít the best idea either - lots of fallen trees etc .

One good thing happened today though - I found a tenner in the woods while looking for the dog .

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 19th Sep 18, 8:39 PM
    • 5,708 Posts
    • 40,263 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Hurrah for the tenner but to everything else. I hope tomorrow is better. Poor DS1, was he ill or really stressed about being late?
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th Sep 18, 8:40 PM
    • 58,002 Posts
    • 238,667 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on the tenner & the dog

***Keep plodding***
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 20th Sep 18, 5:30 PM
    • 9,142 Posts
    • 55,051 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Hurrah for the tenner but to everything else. I hope tomorrow is better. Poor DS1, was he ill or really stressed about being late?
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Stressed about being late Hairy. Itís not the first time heís had an anxiety attack, but itís the first in a while . He went to school happily today though . So did DS2 .

DH has been called for a face to face assessment for his ESA renewal . Sure it will be fine but feel itís a massive waste of time and government resources. I filled in their 30 page form and sent medical evidence yet itís still not enough.

Chased the cheque from the radio station and the girl is checking with the accounts department as I shouldíve had it by now. I also emailed the girl at the press agency as Iíve heard nothing from the magazine re printing our story. Waiting for both of them to get back to me.

Friend called round with flowers and chocolates for helping look for the dog .

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 20th Sep 18, 5:47 PM
    • 5,708 Posts
    • 40,263 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I'm glad DS1 was okay today. I agree about ESA assessments, a total waste of time for people like your DH.
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 20th Sep 18, 8:59 PM
    • 6,317 Posts
    • 43,555 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Mr SA was called in for a PIP assessment last year. They apologised for calling him in and said they wouldn't do it again. The assessor actually looked shocked at the state of him. I think it's just a formality to weed out the malingerers.

Good news about the dog and that DS1 was ok today xx
    Debt £2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 20th Sep 18, 9:46 PM
    • 58,002 Posts
    • 238,667 Thanks
    beanielou
    Boo to the ESA assessment.
    Blooming carry on.

***Keep plodding***
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 22nd Sep 18, 7:40 PM
    • 9,142 Posts
    • 55,051 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Lost a pound at chub club yesterday . Been out for a meal with family for my Sis and SiLís birthdays today so have probably gained it back again . Food was lovely though, as was the company, and 3 awesome relatives split the bill between them so it didnít cost us anything .

£10 Love to shop voucher arrived today from Valued Opinions . Will add it to the Christmas stash. Sold 2 out of 5 items on eBay, and used the money made from one of them to buy another Christmas present.

DS2 has another audition on Tuesday . If successful he will be working 2 days in London next month .

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,211Posts Today

8,900Users online

Martin's Twitter