Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 24th Jul 07, 3:20 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    Premium Bonds Article Discussion Area
    • 24th Jul 07, 3:20 PM
    Premium Bonds Article Discussion Area 24th Jul 07 at 3:20 PM
    This thread is to discuss the
    Premium Bonds: Are they worth it?
    article

Also see the
    Premium Bond Probability Calculator
    to discuss the calculator specifically see the

Premium Bond Calculator Discussion.

To take part, click reply.
    Last edited by MSE Martin; 24-07-2007 at 5:19 PM.
Page 32
    • pmbsa
    • By pmbsa 14th May 18, 8:31 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pmbsa
    13 Years and not a single win
    I just found a certificate for 100 worth of bonds I bought for my daughter 13 years ago..... I checked last night and they havn't won a penny.... Sounds like the greatest "government backed" scam known to man. You have to applaud them for it.
    • coyrls
    • By coyrls 14th May 18, 11:54 AM
    • 999 Posts
    • 1,052 Thanks
    coyrls
    I just found a certificate for 100 worth of bonds I bought for my daughter 13 years ago..... I checked last night and they havn't won a penny.... Sounds like the greatest "government backed" scam known to man. You have to applaud them for it.
    Originally posted by pmbsa
    How much did you expect them to have won? Nothing is probably the outcome with the highest probability. They certainly couldn't have won a penny.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 14th May 18, 11:54 AM
    • 7,547 Posts
    • 8,191 Thanks
    eskbanker
    I just found a certificate for 100 worth of bonds I bought for my daughter 13 years ago..... I checked last night and they havn't won a penny.... Sounds like the greatest "government backed" scam known to man.
    Originally posted by pmbsa
    Hardly - if you'd taken the time to understand how they work, you'd have realised that the odds of winning nothing over 13 years with a 100 holding are 52.76%, i.e. it's more likely than winning something.

Still doesn't make it a scam obviously, as you get your money back if you want, which isn't the hallmark of most actual scams reported on here....
    • firestone
    • By firestone 14th May 18, 1:23 PM
    • 260 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    firestone
    One of this months 100,000 winners won on a 10 bond(total holding 20) bought in 1989 so maybe luck not scam
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

312Posts Today

3,582Users online

Martin's Twitter