Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 24th Jul 07, 11:42 AM
    • 1,236Posts
    • 3,568Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    'You can use all banks’ cash machines for free. Why queue?' Blog discuss
    • 24th Jul 07, 11:42 AM
    'You can use all banks’ cash machines for free. Why queue?' Blog discuss 24th Jul 07 at 11:42 AM
    This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's 'You can use all banks’ cash machines for free. Why queue?' blog. Please read the blog first, as the discussion follows it.

Page 1
  • vulchem
    • 24th Jul 07, 6:29 PM
    Alliance and Leicester
    • 24th Jul 07, 6:29 PM
    Don't bother trying to use A&L cash machines at Post Offices unless you have an account with them. If you don't you are charged.
    • olly300
    • By olly300 24th Jul 07, 7:03 PM
    • 14,312 Posts
    • 13,632 Thanks
    olly300
    • 24th Jul 07, 7:03 PM
    • 24th Jul 07, 7:03 PM
    Unfortunately people are a bit like lemmings in the fact that they queue up because they think there is something wrong with the other cash machines.
  • Gemmzie
    • 24th Jul 07, 8:29 PM
    • 24th Jul 07, 8:29 PM
    Isn't it a British thing to queue?
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
    • Andybez38
    • By Andybez38 24th Jul 07, 8:32 PM
    • 1,687 Posts
    • 1,131 Thanks
    Andybez38
    • 24th Jul 07, 8:32 PM
    • 24th Jul 07, 8:32 PM
    Im british and im Q Q Q Q Q Q Q ing
  • ThankYouAndEnjoy!
    • 24th Jul 07, 8:45 PM
    • 24th Jul 07, 8:45 PM
    Hello

It costs Banks more money to process Cash Transactions undertaken at a 'competitors' cash machine than there own. I guess thats part of the reason why its not braodcasted

I work for LloydsTSB and there has been a campaign recently to get staff to use LloydsTSB branded machines.

There are more options available at your own banks machine (mini statements etc) so gives the consumer more access to banking facilities
    Last edited by ThankYouAndEnjoy!; 24-07-2007 at 8:56 PM.
    Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts - 1420 Days To Go!
    LBM: Ł103,592.98 / Currently Ł78,500.08 - Down 24.22% / Mortgage: Ł92,800.00 / Loan: Ł17,284.21 / Overdraft: Ł450.09 / C/Card 0%(October 08): Ł5,601.54 / C/Card 0% (January 09): Ł1075.22 / Child Care: Ł137.80
    Share Investments: Ł51,390.74 / Money Owed From GS: Ł5,812.61
    • MarkyMarkD
    • By MarkyMarkD 24th Jul 07, 8:51 PM
    • 9,795 Posts
    • 4,216 Thanks
    MarkyMarkD
    • 24th Jul 07, 8:51 PM
    • 24th Jul 07, 8:51 PM
    I don't think that Martin's "wall entrenched" definition is necessarily helpful. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that there are "wall entrenched" ATMs at petrol stations which are charging ones?

But apart from that, I agree that it's amusing to see people unnecessarily queuing for the "right" ATM.

There is a benefit in using your own bank's ATM, if you have the choice (and no queue) though. If there is an ATM problem (like dispensing the wrong amount) it will be FAR quicker and easier to resolve if there is only one bank involved.
  • fatgit
    • 24th Jul 07, 8:55 PM
    • 24th Jul 07, 8:55 PM
    A bit of an aside, but I find Llyods TSB machines to be MUCH MUCH quicker than most other banks.

Really don't understand why, on most machines, it takes the same length of time it did years and years ago - technology has come leaps and bounds in the past 10 years!
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 24th Jul 07, 8:56 PM
    • 7,861 Posts
    • 3,885 Thanks
    Stompa
    • 24th Jul 07, 8:56 PM
    • 24th Jul 07, 8:56 PM
    But apart from that, I agree that it's amusing to see people unnecessarily queuing for the "right" ATM.
    Originally posted by MarkyMarkD
    I wonder how commonplace this really is, I don't ever recall noticing it.
    Stompa
    • boots_babe
    • By boots_babe 24th Jul 07, 9:36 PM
    • 2,912 Posts
    • 1,382 Thanks
    boots_babe
    This made me laugh as it is SO true. Almost any time that I go somewhere with multiple cash machines, people will be queuing to use one or two of them, when at least one of the machines is free. It always bemuses me! :rolleyes:

• CIS
    • By CIS 24th Jul 07, 9:45 PM
    • 11,168 Posts
    • 6,512 Thanks
    CIS
    Happens all the time at the local shopping centre - large queue for machine outside whilst there is one just inside the branch about 10ft away and easily seen by anyone queuing.
    • MarkyMarkD
    • By MarkyMarkD 24th Jul 07, 10:30 PM
    • 9,795 Posts
    • 4,216 Thanks
    MarkyMarkD
    Always happens at supermarkets, where there are normally machines from a couple or three different banks next to each other. One's always more popular than the others for no obvious reason.
    • Pound
    • By Pound 24th Jul 07, 10:57 PM
    • 2,677 Posts
    • 1,338 Thanks
    Pound
    There was two cash machines next to each other, one had a queue of about 15 people. The other one wasn't being used. I walked up to the one that wasn't being used, drew Ł50 out and went on my way.

The one that wasn't being used had some kind of error message across the front of the screen. The cash machine ran on windows and it was simply some program in the background but the machine worked just fine.

• wowzetov
    If it's not your bank, you won't be able to get a mini-statement and check your recent transactions.
    • bazster
    • By bazster 25th Jul 07, 9:10 AM
    • 7,326 Posts
    • 9,448 Thanks
    bazster
    A bit of an aside, but I find Llyods TSB machines to be MUCH MUCH quicker than most other banks.

Really don't understand why, on most machines, it takes the same length of time it did years and years ago - technology has come leaps and bounds in the past 10 years!
    Originally posted by fatgit
    Nationwide machines are spectacularly slow. They seem to have put all their efforts into fripperies like full-colour screens and printing out pictures of your deposited cheques instead of getting the basics right.
    • iansp
    • By iansp 25th Jul 07, 10:04 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    iansp
    Also - even if using a bank that isn't your own - if there's a queue at some or all of the external cash machines during opening hours, you can wander into the branch and use the ones inside.

More often than not there is little or no queue at these, and you get to feel smug about all the idiots queueing outside.
    Last edited by iansp; 25-07-2007 at 10:18 AM.
  • Zimmy
    Beware not all hole-in-the-wall machines are free
    In the Almondvale shopping centre in Livingston, there is a hole-in-the-wall machine that is NOT free, even though there is a free Clydesdale one opposite it. The charging one even has the same colours as the RBS machines but no logos.

Better advice, would be to look for the banks' logos on the machines, rather than whether it is in a wall.
  • SCADAman
    Our local W H Smiths has a new stand alone cash machine - it's free to use so maybe this rule of thumb is going to be outdated?

Tony
  • tekarma
    Hiya all

I unfortunately went bankrupt in feb, so had to find another bank. After searching high & low a bank finally offered me a Basic Bank Account.

With this sort of account i can only use my banks cash machines.

Dont ask me why as i think its mad. I got knocked down by a car last year & have to walk with crutches. Only being able to use my bank means walking or getting a taxi....just to get some money out.

So perhaps Martin lives in an area full of peeps that are Bankrupt lol...only j'kin Martin xxx
  • daveo138
    There are a number of 'through the wall' ATMs which charge, and not just at petrol stations.

Some of the better known ones are Alliance and Leicester (unless you're a customer), Travelex and Moneybox.

I also found one in Princes St, Edinburgh, when I was there last year, which had no logo.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,330Posts Today

8,180Users online

Martin's Twitter