Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Loopy28
    • By Loopy28 15th Oct 14, 8:39 AM
    • 451Posts
    • 274Thanks
    Loopy28
    Offer accepted subject to vendor finding a property?
    • #1
    • 15th Oct 14, 8:39 AM
    Offer accepted subject to vendor finding a property? 15th Oct 14 at 8:39 AM
    Finally had an offer accepted on a house that I love-got that tingly feeling when I viewed it

    I accept that the sale is subject to the vendor finding a property to buy. What concerns me is the EA said there isn't much about at the moment for what he is looking for. This is right as I have looked and there just isn't much coming to the market at the moment.

    I am proceeding with the sale of mine regardless and can move in with family if there is a gap. I will be subject to an early repayment charge of just under 3k on my mortgage if there is more than a 3 months gap between selling and buying but could probably recoup a lot of this through savings during the time of living with family so will take the hit if needed.

    But how long is realistic to wait? e.g. I could wait until next Spring and vendor could decide they can't find anywhere or when they do, the vendor of that house might need to find somewhere..it could go on and on.

    I have been told the vendor won't go in to rented so I am both elated at being accepted and deflated that there is very little supply of houses for him to look at.
Page 1
    • Seabee42
    • By Seabee42 15th Oct 14, 8:47 AM
    • 364 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    Seabee42
    • #2
    • 15th Oct 14, 8:47 AM
    • #2
    • 15th Oct 14, 8:47 AM
    To be honest this is completely normal, i.e. most sellers have to find somewhere else. You have been told quite honestly that the seller is struggling to find somewhere at the moment.

    Effectively you are waiting for someone else to put their house on the market that the seller wants to buy. (And assuming they win the bid).

    If this is the house for you, you could very much face the fact that they do not in fact find anywhere. Do not spend to much on the purchase until they have found somewhere.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 15th Oct 14, 9:04 AM
    • 26,129 Posts
    • 70,554 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • #3
    • 15th Oct 14, 9:04 AM
    • #3
    • 15th Oct 14, 9:04 AM
    I agree with the above. Don't even start the conveyancing on this purchase until the vendor has found.

    I also wouldn't really stop looking - just in case.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Penelopa.Pitstop
    • By Penelopa.Pitstop 15th Oct 14, 9:11 AM
    • 392 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    Penelopa.Pitstop
    • #4
    • 15th Oct 14, 9:11 AM
    • #4
    • 15th Oct 14, 9:11 AM
    I can tell you how it looks from the other side. I'm looking for a house but I saw only 3 houses I liked in more than 3 months since I started intensive search and I look at whole Surrey. I'm quite open minded about location but have strict criteria.

    I was refused to view one of the houses because my property is not on the market and sold or I'm not renting.

    But I'm not going to put my flat on sale until I can see something I like. Otherwise it will be waste of time and money for the potential buyer. I may be looking for 3-6 months and not find something I want and I don't want to be under pressure to find anything because buyer is waiting.

    • D00gie72
    • By D00gie72 15th Oct 14, 9:21 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    D00gie72
    • #5
    • 15th Oct 14, 9:21 AM
    • #5
    • 15th Oct 14, 9:21 AM
    In my House move last year I experienced both ends of this scenario. First I had a buyer and no where to move into - then later on I'd found and had an offer accepted on a house - but didn't have a buyer at that time. Believe me - neither situation is fun and there's no 'correct' way to do it.
    At least your vendor is being honest with you. All you can do is keep in touch via the agent to check how their search is going. Also be realsitic about moving in with your family. You could be stuck there for some while if your vendor decides not to move - then you have to start your search all over again. Also agree with others - don't spend a penny on conveyancing until your chain is complete. Good Luck
    • cloo
    • By cloo 15th Oct 14, 10:13 AM
    • 1,129 Posts
    • 1,156 Thanks
    cloo
    • #6
    • 15th Oct 14, 10:13 AM
    • #6
    • 15th Oct 14, 10:13 AM
    I can tell you how it looks from the other side. I'm looking for a house but I saw only 3 houses I liked in more than 3 months since I started intensive search and I look at whole Surrey. I'm quite open minded about location but have strict criteria.

    I was refused to view one of the houses because my property is not on the market and sold or I'm not renting.

    But I'm not going to put my flat on sale until I can see something I like. Otherwise it will be waste of time and money for the potential buyer. I may be looking for 3-6 months and not find something I want and I don't want to be under pressure to find anything because buyer is waiting.
    Originally posted by Penelopa.Pitstop
    We wondered whether we should hold of selling until we see something we want, but we knew here in London we would be unlikely to have an offer accepted without at least being on the market, even though we've had our eye out for ages and haven't seen much.

    As it happens we're apparently going to get an offer today, have a place we want to offer on and if we don't get this one, there is another interesting one to see on Saturday.
    • googler
    • By googler 15th Oct 14, 10:31 AM
    • 14,914 Posts
    • 9,794 Thanks
    googler
    • #7
    • 15th Oct 14, 10:31 AM
    • #7
    • 15th Oct 14, 10:31 AM
    The problem is that the offer doesn't form any part of your contract to buy, and nothing is agreed upon when you offer.

    In Scotland, an offer comprises the price, any conditions applicable, and crucially - the entry date. Accept the offer, and you're agreeing when you will hand the house over to the buyer. 99.9% (approx.) of Scottish sales complete with the entry date unchanged from the offer, so we have none of the hanging around that the OP will experience.

    If you want the system in E&W to change, lobby your MP.
    • Loopy28
    • By Loopy28 15th Oct 14, 11:19 AM
    • 451 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    Loopy28
    • #8
    • 15th Oct 14, 11:19 AM
    • #8
    • 15th Oct 14, 11:19 AM
    Thank you for your replies.

    I will tell my solicitor to hold off on anything with the new property until the vendor finds somewhere. I am not going to apply for the new mortgage until this happens either.

    I will proceed with my sale as I think this will also put me in a better situation as I am then ready to go when either this vendor finds somewhere or if something else comes to the market that might be suitable I guess I will be in a better situation as I will effectively be like a FTB.

    It would seem in my area that people don't put their houses for sale in the Autumn, not at the moment anyway!
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 15th Oct 14, 12:47 PM
    • 3,842 Posts
    • 3,386 Thanks
    Hoploz
    • #9
    • 15th Oct 14, 12:47 PM
    • #9
    • 15th Oct 14, 12:47 PM
    It took us ages to find. The original house we went on the market to buy was taken off the market and it took us almost a year to find something else. (we had specific criteria and did not need to move so we held out to find the right house)

    We marketed our house half heartedly, took it off the mkt for a while. Found another house, then straightaway remarketed and got a buyer. Thought it was all going to happen ... Then the second house was taken off the market as well!!

    That was early Feb. unbelievably a few weeks ago we completed on our sale and purchase! Our buyer held on, so when the second house we wanted came back on (and we won the sealed bids!!!) the transaction could go ahead quickly.

    Basically, it could be that your seller does take a while, but will probably find something in the end. Depends how long you are prepared to wait. We were astounded our buyer held on 7 months with no movement, but it happened. (of course prices had shot up in that time so he ended up with a bargain as well!) But I would suggest you look at other things until they find something.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 17th Oct 14, 4:48 PM
    • 7,396 Posts
    • 16,333 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    It depends on how much you love the house and whether you are willing to move in with family for what may be a considerable period of time. This time of year is slow for properties coming on to the market as no one wants to move around Christmas or in the winter. It took my daughter and son in law almost eight months to buy their current house which they moved into six weeks ago. They lost one buyer and one house they loved and ended up doing as you are considering and completing on their sale before their purchase and moved in with us for six weeks but they got a house they loved eventually. You would be in a good position if chain free though but presumably you may have storage costs unless you can store your belongings with family/friends etc. One word of warning though, my daughter had a fixed rate mortgage on her flat she was selling and was told by Halifax there was an early repayment charge but if she completed on her new mortgage within three months it would be refunded. They completed on their purchase 10 weeks after their sale and were told that the old mortgage should have been "ported" to the new one to avoid the penalty and were then told they would not get back the penalty of around 1500 after all. I told them to persist, complain and go to Head office if necessary and eventually Halifax relented and paid it back. Keep any documentation saying the penalty will be repaid if you complete on your new mortgage within 3 months.


    Good luck.
    • ali_hire
    • By ali_hire 17th Oct 14, 4:57 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    ali_hire
    We've seen a huge increase in the number of people selling, renting for a short term and then buying again. The issue being that is very easy to sell a house in this area but not easy to find something.

    The only slight concern I'd have in your position is your time spent out of the market. If house prices start to rise (they have sharply in my area) you could find yourself unable to buy the type of property you are able to now.

    I'd get your sale done, move in with relatives and keep looking at the internet for anything new.

    Much as you might really like the house you've offered on you have a slight risk of the vendor wanting more money for it if we're talking about a wait of 6 months.
    • MadelinesMum
    • By MadelinesMum 17th Oct 14, 6:58 PM
    • 854 Posts
    • 2,074 Thanks
    MadelinesMum
    Hi, I'm also on the flip side of the coin here. I accepted an offer a few days ago and travelling 150miles at the weekend hunting for a property. Hopefully I'll find somewhere and have an offer accepted.

    I'm very keen to find somewhere quickly. Hopefully your purchaser will have the same mindset.

    Good luck
    I must remember that "Money Saving" is not buying heavily discounted items that I do not need.
    • Loopy28
    • By Loopy28 17th Oct 14, 9:39 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    Loopy28
    Thank you for your replies.

    We do really love the house and will wait a reasonable time but at the same time, I am keeping my eye out for any new properties coming out and if something came along, particularly if there was no chain or the vendor had found, then we would definitely consider our options.

    The property we are hoping to buy has been on the market for 9 months and was reduced so I am fairly confident the vendor will not try and get more money if things goes on a bit before he finds a property. Prices seem quite stable where we are at the moment and sales on houses are steady but there are lots that are sitting unsold so I don't think price increases will be a massive issue.

    I do have a nagging doubt about whether the vendor is that committed but I won't put all my eggs in one basket.

    There are a couple of houses I have my eye on, they have been on the market a while but are slightly above my price range and if they were reduced, I would consider them too. I don't want to let anyone down though but I guess you have to be selfish when buying a house?!
  • Mind the Gap
    It can be a nightmare trying to sell and buy at the same time.

    My advice would be to sell first (whilst still looking around, of course), then stay with family/rent for a few months until you find a property you, like without a condition attached.

    It's good the vendor is being transparent about his own needs, but you could be in for a long wait. Keep your options open.
    • BabyBoots
    • By BabyBoots 18th Oct 14, 10:05 AM
    • 541 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    BabyBoots
    I'm glad you've finally had an offer accepted Loopy28

    I'm in a similar position to your vendor. Back in July I got a new buyer (the previous one having suddenly become too ill to live without supervision, and thus unable to buy), and within a couple of days had my offer on a place accepted. A few weeks later, the survey showed the house I had offered on was a wreck, and I pulled out of the purchase.

    I've been looking at everything that might be suitable, but there are few properties coming on the market. The ones that are still available are the wildly overpriced ones, that might be nice, but the sellers are asking for way more than anyone around here is prepared to pay.

    I'm looking online every day, and the local agents all know what I want, but I don't expect to be moving until next year now, much as I would snap up the right place, if it came on the market.

    I'd go with the others' advice - don't fork out for survey, solicitor or mortgage approval fees until the chian is complete. We narrowly prevented our buyer shelling out on their survey fee in August by quickly telling them we'd pulled out of our purchase; they'd been instructing their survey that day.
    • Loopy28
    • By Loopy28 18th Oct 14, 10:48 AM
    • 451 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    Loopy28
    Thanks babyboots, I imagine the vendor is having the same problems as you, which is why I told the EA I would wait a reasonably length of time. I do know from what the EA has told me though, that the vendor doesn't have to move if he doesn't want to as he hopes to downsize now he is alone but he doesn't need to financially. This is why I am keeping an eye out still and am remaining aware that things might fall through.

    It wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to wait until spring as I could save up more towards my deposit but the family member we will move in with has his house on the market so things could get tricky if his house sells.

    Ironically, family member is one of 'those' people whose house is lovely but overpriced and as a result has been on the market since Spring of this year. EA has told him it isn't overpriced so he won't listen to me!
    • ellie27
    • By ellie27 18th Oct 14, 11:36 AM
    • 1,067 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    ellie27
    If it was me I would be viewing houses and looking to put an offer in on something should something come up that I like as much.

    The house that is keeping you waiting, with no real date in mind, would be my fall-back plan should nothing else come up in the meantime.
    • Loopy28
    • By Loopy28 18th Oct 14, 1:29 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    Loopy28
    Thanks Ellie, I will keep looking. Nothing is coming at all at the moment but I am checking rightmove daily

    I haven't heard anything from the EA, I had a phone call to say the offer was accepted subject to the vendor finding and a request for my solicitor details. I made it clear I was progressing with my sale but doing nothing in respect of the purchase until the vendor has found.

    There is only one other property I viewed, which I would consider but to secure the property, I would need to offer 8k more than what I have offered on the current property. I don't mind so much but the other property doesn't offer anything extra for the 8k. Plus I am aware that while that vendor has found, the property they wish to buy has vendors who need to find still so I would be in no better position.

    Fingers crossed for a nice chain free property to come along!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

384Posts Today

3,009Users online

Martin's Twitter