Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • bylromarha
    • By bylromarha 14th Oct 14, 9:04 PM
    • 9,957 Posts
    • 13,247 Thanks
    bylromarha
    • 14th Oct 14, 9:04 PM
    • 14th Oct 14, 9:04 PM
    Welcome to the world of teaching. I spend a small fortune day in day out on my class.

If you didn't want your Mac book broken, then you shouldn't have taken it into school. Schools don't insure your personal equipment. School will have provided you with the equipment needed to do the job - even if it was harder to use/more long winded.

If you were using it on a park bench, you wouldn't expect someone who knocked it as they walked past to pay for a cracked screen. No different in school.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
    • tomtontom
    • By tomtontom 14th Oct 14, 9:08 PM
    • 7,189 Posts
    • 16,347 Thanks
    tomtontom
    • 14th Oct 14, 9:08 PM
    • 14th Oct 14, 9:08 PM
    School is not the place for such an expensive piece of equipment - it was an accident waiting to happen.
  • Bantex
    • 14th Oct 14, 9:20 PM
    • 14th Oct 14, 9:20 PM
    At least it didn't get nicked.
    • billbennett
    • By billbennett 14th Oct 14, 9:26 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 1,623 Thanks
    billbennett
    • 14th Oct 14, 9:26 PM
    • 14th Oct 14, 9:26 PM
    If you were using it on a park bench, you wouldn't expect someone who knocked it as they walked past to pay for a cracked screen.
    Originally posted by bylromarha
    I would. If someone causes a breakage, they pay.
    In "Monopoly", what makes the "Super Tax" so super?
    • Petaldust
    • By Petaldust 14th Oct 14, 9:44 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    Petaldust
    • 14th Oct 14, 9:44 PM
    • 14th Oct 14, 9:44 PM
    The salary for a PGCE isnít exactly large
    Originally posted by MSE Joanne
    Clearly it's not that bad if he can afford a brand new Macbook Pro while lots of people are managing with second hand faulty laptops.
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 14th Oct 14, 9:46 PM
    • 6,170 Posts
    • 11,615 Thanks
    GwylimT
    • 14th Oct 14, 9:46 PM
    • 14th Oct 14, 9:46 PM
    Surely he should have contents insurance to pay for his own belongings, you wouldn't leave £1000 laying around so why people would leave a MacBook in an unsafe area is beyond me.
    • unlikelyheroine
    • By unlikelyheroine 14th Oct 14, 10:08 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    unlikelyheroine
    • 14th Oct 14, 10:08 PM
    • 14th Oct 14, 10:08 PM
    I doubt the school's contents insurance covers expensive personal items brought in by staff - and why on earth should it. That would be the kind of thing that would push up a premium, even if it is covered by a school's policy in the first place.
    • iclayt
    • By iclayt 15th Oct 14, 7:23 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 823 Thanks
    iclayt
    • 15th Oct 14, 7:23 AM
    • 15th Oct 14, 7:23 AM
    Surely he has insurance of his own for something so expensive?
    • bylromarha
    • By bylromarha 15th Oct 14, 8:10 AM
    • 9,957 Posts
    • 13,247 Thanks
    bylromarha
    I would. If someone causes a breakage, they pay.
    Originally posted by billbennett
    Good luck with that
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • jxyz
    Schools insurance
    If you are a member of a teaching union, they may have an insurance that lets you claim for damage to personal property. I have claimed through ATL. Contact your union.
  • Dave126
    Student laptop
    All is not lost... as a PGCE student your union would offer insurance against loss or breakages that occur at school. Most unions allow student teachers free membership to encourage them to join when properly employed.

The school wouldn't be expected to pay towards the breakage unless it had specifically asked you to use the MacBook on site.
    • wondermouse
    • By wondermouse 15th Oct 14, 9:14 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    wondermouse
    Surely the technician was employed by the school and should therefore be covered by the school's insurance?

The question of whether the laptop should've been there or not is a different one.
  • Exteacher
    I agree with above posts - your partner's Union will cover him for personal equipment in school. I do hope he is a member as no one - student, teacher or classroom assistant can afford to be in the classroom without Union membership. It's your insurance against any number of things that can go wrong.
    • hardpressed
    • By hardpressed 15th Oct 14, 9:20 AM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 1,514 Thanks
    hardpressed
    If you take a valuable piece of equipment out of the house why would you not have it insured yourself of have it included on your house contents? Who would he have expected to pay if he'd drop it himself? When my son took his, expensive, musical keyboard to school many years ago, I made sure it was covered on our insurance.
    • JayD
    • By JayD 15th Oct 14, 9:27 AM
    • 517 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    JayD
    I agree with those who say his own insurance should pay - that is if he has included 'accidental' cover and 'away form home' cover for personal possessions and listed the laptop under this when completing his insurance application.
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 15th Oct 14, 9:38 AM
    • 3,597 Posts
    • 3,278 Thanks
    Undervalued
    Clearly it's not that bad if he can afford a brand new Macbook Pro while lots of people are managing with second hand faulty laptops.
    Originally posted by Petaldust
    Which is completely irrelevant!

It all comes down to fault. If the person who damaged it was at fault then he is liable. As it happened at work, and in the course of his work, then his liability MAY be covered by his employer's insurance.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 15th Oct 14, 10:13 AM
    • 25,182 Posts
    • 65,904 Thanks
    pollypenny
    In a ideal world schools would provide everything needed. However, with greater moves to technologies in the classroom, teachers will prepare material on their own computers and use to project on whiteboard in class.

It's hard on a student teacher to have to replace the MacBook.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 15th Oct 14, 10:17 AM
    • 5,193 Posts
    • 2,311 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Just be aware that these home contents insurance policy extensions MAY not be the answer - a few years ago, when discussing renewal, the question of my daughters' quite expensive musical instruments came up - the insurance company were quite blunt that the instruments were ONLY covered if they were actually in the possession of my daughters -in other words, no cover if they were locked in their personal school lockers. No chance of persuading them to carry them around at all times!!
    Last edited by brewerdave; 15-10-2014 at 10:18 AM. Reason: grammar Timothy !!
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 15th Oct 14, 10:22 AM
    • 5,900 Posts
    • 6,858 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    Which is completely irrelevant!

It all comes down to fault. If the person who damaged it was at fault then he is liable. As it happened at work, and in the course of his work, then his liability MAY be covered by his employer's insurance.
    Originally posted by Undervalued
    It really depends whether the employer requested the employee to use the laptop, if they didn't then the employee is liable
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

199Posts Today

1,942Users online

Martin's Twitter