Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 4th Oct 14, 9:37 AM
    • 10,422Posts
    • 58,367Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Daydream fund challenge part 4
    • 4th Oct 14, 9:37 AM
    Daydream fund challenge part 4 4th Oct 14 at 9:37 AM
    back in march 2009. this thread started, as I had daydreamed of having a smallholding for far too many years than I can remember.. since then, we are now on our 4th new thread.. and have a nice bunch of mse'rs who are at various stages of their dream... even if you ream is to have a plot of land, or a house with a nice garden.. join in, all are welcome..

here are the links to the other 3 threads
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1544047&highlight=daydream
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3812953&highlight=daydream

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4651793&highlight=daydream
    Last edited by COOLTRIKERCHICK; 04-10-2014 at 11:24 AM.
    Work to live= not live to work
Page 488
    • choille
    • By choille 9th Jun 19, 8:51 PM
    • 7,531 Posts
    • 33,815 Thanks
    choille
    Happy Birthday Dave
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th Jun 19, 11:18 PM
    • 29,505 Posts
    • 102,334 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Happy Birthday Dave
    Originally posted by choille
    Thanks for recognising my un-birthday!

Just as well it wasn't today; we had biblical quantities of rain late afternoon and through the evening. Saw water inside the barn for the first time in years.....
    Opportunities may be missed, especially when they arrive disguised as hard work.

• alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 11th Jun 19, 8:12 AM
    • 5,816 Posts
    • 46,867 Thanks
    alfie 1
    hiya peeps...

well sadly my JR bimble passed on yesterday.
    he had become poorly [weakness in spine, slight dementia and eye sight] and I had to make "the decision" .
    nobody likes this part of having a beloved pet but for the last act of kindness we have it in our power to end suffering.
    he was a wonderfull chum , full of naughtiness, love and character ..
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 11th Jun 19, 9:17 AM
    • 3,532 Posts
    • 9,451 Thanks
    tori.k
    Happy second Birthday Dave.
    Odd few days down here, back end of last week was show week (Royal Cornwall) as usual it bought flipflop and welly weather with it. Weather is conspiring against me with constant rain on my days off but I have a couple of whole weekends off this month at last, so off up country to Barnstaple/Bideford
    Bittersweet for DH as we haven't been back to the area since his dad passed away but love the area our intention is hopefuuly one day to find our last home somewhere between Port Issac and Barnstaple so a massive parameter.
    • choille
    • By choille 11th Jun 19, 9:24 AM
    • 7,531 Posts
    • 33,815 Thanks
    choille
    Sorry about Bimble Alfie but as you rightly say it's a kindness to know when that time comes. They had a lovely time with you and you them.

It's still sad - so hugs {{{{{{{{{{{Alfie}}}}}}}}}}}

Low cloud and a breeze - quite cool. Funny weather for June! Hope you survived the drenching down south.
    Can't get inspired in the garden so things are rampantly gaining control.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Jun 19, 9:34 AM
    • 29,505 Posts
    • 102,334 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Sad to hear your news about big-character-in-small-package, Bimble.

You had the courage to do the right thing, alfie, and if he'd known, he'd have loved you for that too.
    Opportunities may be missed, especially when they arrive disguised as hard work.

• tori.k
    • By tori.k 11th Jun 19, 10:14 AM
    • 3,532 Posts
    • 9,451 Thanks
    tori.k
    So sorry to hear your news Alfie.
    JRs are unique characters, its never easy to say goodbye its true when they say the perfect companions never have fewer then four feet.
    • ukmaggie45
    • By ukmaggie45 11th Jun 19, 3:54 PM
    • 2,957 Posts
    • 20,072 Thanks
    ukmaggie45
    Dear Alfie, from everything you've told us about Bimble he had a fantastic and fun life with you. I've never owned a dog, though really badly wanted one when I was a little girl. Had cats though since I left parental home. Our furry friends are very special, and when we lose them it's really painful. But as others have said, we are able to give them that gift of letting them go. Sending you my love and hugs from Wales.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Jun 19, 7:56 AM
    • 29,505 Posts
    • 102,334 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Hope you are bearing-up OK, alfie. Maybe Very Big Dog is keeping you busy and a good distraction?

• Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Jun 19, 8:10 AM
    • 29,505 Posts
    • 102,334 Thanks
    Davesnave
    ..our intention is hopefuuly one day to find our last home somewhere between Port Issac and Barnstaple so a massive parameter.
    Originally posted by tori.k
    I agree it's a good, often underrated area, with fairly reasonable prices if away from sea views/the beaches.

Hartland is an active community and individual, arty crafty sort of people seem to gravitate there, according to my friend, who's attempting to relocate at present....

Bude has the holy trinity of Sainsburys, Morrisons and Lidl, with Waitrose for those who want her just 9 miles up the road at Holsworthy. I'm not keen on the inland scenery south of there, but there's a load of interesting places to the west and north. Soils aren't so good there, which means more forest & heath and good access for walks.

The Bideford area has teetered on the edge of economic collapse ever since I've known it, being so close to dominant Barnstaple, but it's lovely in parts....and there's Rosemoor just a wiggly ride up the valley.

• tori.k
    • By tori.k 14th Jun 19, 7:52 PM
    • 3,532 Posts
    • 9,451 Thanks
    tori.k
    Oddly I've never really settled on the South Coast.
    Cornwall has always been home I was born here, but I've live quite a few places North and South over Cornwall,Devon and Somerset and the other extreme in the North East but always stayed longer in the North I guess im just too wild
    Done some work stuff at Rosemoor and Wisley and prefer Wisley if im honest.
    Never been keen on Bude lovely stretch of coast path so a nice place to visit but you wouldn't want to live there.
    Wonder if Castle hill gardens have any work going, do you need any staff Dave
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 14th Jun 19, 8:56 PM
    • 4,465 Posts
    • 9,527 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Evening all! I started a long post, and it vanished on trying to edit bits! I'm on an ancient Blackberry, so nobody is getting thanked either, so there! [shan't risk finding a sticks tongue out emoji.. it will probably kill the entire site]...

All staggers on. I spend some short time a month in the lab or office, wearing a suit and tie, and almost all the rest using up the remaining smart clothes clearing a hedge or ditch! Quite funny, really. I am getting a reputation in the village, and in Uni!

The wildlife here has really taken off. We had the local wildlife trust come and do a count, and they were quite delighted. I'm concentrating on the bugs and worms as much as the pretty stuff, which seems to be working well. We run a butterfly introduction scheme as well, and three of five species have bred this year, so I'm happy.

Tree planting went well, if rather late, so I'm glad of the cool spring. We took on some more goats, and someone has yet another donkey to rehome.... and I guess I'm a mug! So that was a yes, then.

Renovation on the house has stalled, as there aren't enough hours in the day to fit that in... luckily oh is very forgiving. We will get there with that... one year...

I now have a tame kestrel, follows me around on the tractor, and catches... my water voles(!!!) as I pass. Oh well, she's very beautiful, even if ruthless.

I broke my little finger a month ago. Jumped off a fence, and left the finger stuck in the gap, and there was a loud crack. Still hurts, and amazing how much you use it.

There's also a pick axe in the long grass in a field, and I CANNOT find it. I know it's in the long grass somewhere, and I need to cut it... If I cut it with it in there, I will kill the topper.....idiot!!!

Anyway, as I slowly descend into increasing eccentricity, the village seems happy to accept our weirdness and they enjoy the animals and woodlands. The insanity of Brexit eats into working time a bit - more for OH - but the idiots pay her massively for it, so who is to grumble. Me, I'm for digging a moat, sticking up a wall, and locking everybody else out.

Since most of you on this thread are also mildly insane, I'll allow you in. Just ask for the password! Oh, and bring a bottle, or a spare animal!

All the best for summer!

Edit : hey..." Thanks" works.... sometimes! Sorry to those where it doesn't!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Jun 19, 9:38 PM
    • 29,505 Posts
    • 102,334 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I agree, Bude is too 'bucket & spade' seaside, which we've never done. Our kids are still prawn hunters and winkle pickers, so love the rock pools in the coves. Take Sam's Mum anywhere there's water and she'll be in it, including the rivers.

For gardens, it's maybe time we visited Docton Mill again. While it's wild out there on the Hartland peninsula, the owner told me years ago that the wind just whooshes over the top and they're quite sheltered. It's more about eating & drinking there though, nowadays, judging by the photos people take on Google.

My favourite N Devon garden is this one:
    http://www.marwoodhillgarden.co.uk/

Our kids loved going there because Dr Jimmy Smart's Jack Russell would trot round with them and they adored the carp that would just stay there with their mouths open waiting to be fed. Me, I'd be seed collecting, but there's an interesting nursery too.

As a lad, I played on the Castle Hill estate, not where the gardens are though! A friend and I used to go to the army firing range at Shallowford and sift the sand for bullets. We'd fill our saddlebags with them, and then a school satchel or two.

Back at home, we built fires and melted the lead, pouring it into an old enamel dog bowl to make ingots. Our little scrap metal business was going well until we were apprehended by the head gamekeeper, who was scary because he wore a kilt!He told us we were stealing from the Queen and not to come back again....so we didn't, but we did sell our ingots to a scrappie. Queen never missed them.

The school bus would pass Castle Hill every day and I often fantasised about becoming extremely rich and owning it one day. Not sure that I'd care for the maintenance now! (This is just the bit on the end, not the main house.)

Last edited by Davesnave; 14-06-2019 at 9:41 PM.

• tori.k
    • By tori.k 14th Jun 19, 10:16 PM
    • 3,532 Posts
    • 9,451 Thanks
    tori.k
    Ive a similar background Lanhydrock was our playground ( Dad was a NT gardener) our sideline was golfballs that used to wash up down river we'd bucket them up and sell them back to the club between that and cashing in the babycham bottles had a nice little earner until my brother spilled to the other kids showing off, the back breaking daffy picking the next year had him wishing he'd kept his mouth shut.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th Jun 19, 6:57 AM
    • 29,505 Posts
    • 102,334 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Renovation on the house has stalled.....
    Originally posted by DaftyDuck
    So has ours. Shower is in, but an emergency yesterday meant our plumber man had to leave to fix a boiler in Exeter, and despite returning to work on till 9pm, we're still without a functioning bog and basin in there. He won't be back for a while now.

Meanwhile, we've complained about the supposedly luxury units having glue on their doors, so they're being replaced 'sometime.'

I've had man flu since the party a week ago, but at least it seems to be on a trajectory to end before the wedding. Pete injured his knee and was having difficulties looking after his stock last week, so I hope that's eased too. His adult kids aren't a lot of help, despite two still living at home. He's too soft.

I'll need Pete's advice too, eventually. Typically, just after I discover the real boundaries on this place and that we own one Wych Elm, and possibly another too, the big, beautiful one seems to be dying. I thought it was late coming into leaf and looking sparse when it did, but getting up close last night, I could see it's only our side that's leafed at all; the side facing south is largely bare. I know some small trees here were knocked back hard by the late frosts; the European Nettle Tree and some Acers were back to bare branches again, but this tree's over 30' and has seen a few bad winters, so I don't think it's that. Could it be the dry summer or the beetles?

• lucielle
    • By lucielle 15th Jun 19, 1:43 PM
    • 8,194 Posts
    • 35,314 Thanks
    lucielle
    I'm feeling a little more sociable than I was, as DD1 left on Tuesday to go to New Zealand. She's arrived safely and starts her job in 2 weeks. I'll miss her like crazy, even though she drove me up the wall. Can't believe its nearly a year since DD2 left as well.

Had problems with the boiler in the Skye house. It's all sorted and the guests were ok about it. It's a problem when you're so far away. Some friends kindly dropped some extra fuel supplies, I really hate asking for help/favours but sometimes needs must.

I've been in the throes of setting up an Amazon shop after they approached us to open one. It has taken ages to get up and running but we are selling now. I finished my part time job in February 2018, I work more hours now than I ever did! The joys of self employment I guess .

Had a nice day at Kelso races for ladies day and came home 65 up, so not a bad day. Had a night in a hotel so it felt like a proper break.

Was up at 4.30am the other day to taken all the really crap machines to a machinery sale. It went ok. I was dressed up in oil skins as it hadn't stopped raining for over 24 hours. Anyway it didn't rain and get this it was in Scotland!!!
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 59875.83 Overdrafts 2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
    • lucielle
    • By lucielle 15th Jun 19, 1:46 PM
    • 8,194 Posts
    • 35,314 Thanks
    lucielle
    Sorry to hear about Bimble, it's one of the hardest things to do. Hugs Alfie

L
    Total Debt Dec 07 59875.83 Overdrafts 2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 16th Jun 19, 9:40 PM
    • 29,505 Posts
    • 102,334 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Sounds like a case for a maintenance contract on the Skye house boiler, lucielle. Not needed 99% of the time, but when it is.....

More drizzle, rain, and even hail here, before short, sunny interludes. Left in the pouring rain for fish & chips in Crediton last night, ate them parked in a bright, sunny field, then returned home to the same weather we'd left!

• choille
    • By choille 19th Jun 19, 9:58 AM
    • 7,531 Posts
    • 33,815 Thanks
    choille
    Hope the boiler stays fixed. A pain when you are far away Lucielle.
    You've given your kids such a good start and I'm sure you will miss them. NZ will be a wonderful place to work & live & you will have to go out & visit sometime in the future. Long way to go though but it will be an adventure.

Doesn't appear to want to stop raining here - very wet Summer so far. Doesn't seem to be putting off the NC500 roadsters. Was over in Aberdeenshire at the W/E and they were saying how quiet they are over there tourist wise. I think the NC500 is at peak level - Hope so as it's wearing. No gardening done but the shrubs are all crowding out the weeds. The new bed I created with flowers is infested but things are just running riot.
    I seem to have slowed up house wise - although nearly there I seem to have boxes of 'stuff' everywhere. It's time I bit the bullet and had a real sort out instead of tinkering around the edges.
    • lucielle
    • By lucielle 19th Jun 19, 7:03 PM
    • 8,194 Posts
    • 35,314 Thanks
    lucielle
    I think she's settling in for the 2 weeks she's with her sister before she starts her job. They've already managed to bag a free flight in a helicopter, which looked amazing.

Still having issues with the boiler, think its leaking somewhere. Plumbers don't seem overly bothered. Grrr
    L
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

1,654Users online

Martin's Twitter