Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 4th Oct 14, 9:37 AM
    • 10,419Posts
    • 58,340Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Daydream fund challenge part 4
    • 4th Oct 14, 9:37 AM
    Daydream fund challenge part 4 4th Oct 14 at 9:37 AM
    back in march 2009. this thread started, as I had daydreamed of having a smallholding for far too many years than I can remember.. since then, we are now on our 4th new thread.. and have a nice bunch of mse'rs who are at various stages of their dream... even if you ream is to have a plot of land, or a house with a nice garden.. join in, all are welcome..

here are the links to the other 3 threads
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1544047&highlight=daydream
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3812953&highlight=daydream

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4651793&highlight=daydream
    Last edited by COOLTRIKERCHICK; 04-10-2014 at 11:24 AM.
    Work to live= not live to work
Page 484
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th Apr 19, 7:30 AM
    • 27,880 Posts
    • 99,038 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Looks like 'darn sarth' we are stuck in an easterly air flow for the next week or more, alfie, so the weather might be cool, but it won't be very damp. Cue the usual game of tomato cover-up on many nights. I couldn't live without my fleece at this time of year. Indeed, it's done a sterling job all winter, so I even have a full sized nicotiana flowering and most of last summer's container plants are still fine.

Log delivery yesterday was almost all ash with just a few bits of birch. About 30% are too large, so I had a lovely morning splitting those and I'm aching this morning.

The road here is closed over the next few days for repairs, but we can still get out if we need to via an alternative route we often use. I thought with it being a bus route they might be re-surfacing, but no, it's just a patch job.

Since having a 4x4, of sorts, we're less concerned by banging over the potholes and ruts, but it doesn't ride or handle as well as the old car did. At the bottom of the hill here there's a 90 degree bend and a rut at the side to take the water that streams down all winter. I've lost count of the number of folks who've caught the rut when sensibly keeping close to the left on the blind bend, lost control and gone straight on into the field!

Apparently, you don't have drivers like that in your neck of the mountains, choille :
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-47851582
    'I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn.' Neil Innes, introducing 'Protest Song.'
    • in my wellies
    • By in my wellies 10th Apr 19, 8:24 PM
    • 799 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    in my wellies
    Good evening, I hope all is well with plants and livestock.

Mum was taken out by a friend so I had a 'day off'. I planted new strawberries and weeded the old ones - they might as well stay for another year as I have no plans for anything else in that spot.

Nearly done then I walked into the shed door, the latch caught my eyelid. A proper bang resulting in soooooo much blood, I tried to ignore it, cleared away but it didn't stop so had to admit defeat and go to the doctors. I'd also been stung by something unknown on my the other side of my face and was quite swollen. Anyway, the doctor glued it together and put some tape across and also dressed the sting. Antibiotics and antihistamine too. She asked me lots of probing questions about what I'd been up to (forgot to say I was covered in nettle rash because I was hurrying to clear up...)

She popped out and soon came back. She said, "Are you the woman who lives up ..................... with the cats and dogs?" I said I was and she said OK, that's all. Come and get it dressed with the nurse on Monday... I obviously confirmed her suspicions that I was the crazy dog/cat woman and no more could be done for me. Or maybe I should expect a visit from men in white coats.

Popped in to Crediton to get the prescription and was pleased it was quiet.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Apr 19, 7:45 AM
    • 27,880 Posts
    • 99,038 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Popped in to Crediton to get the prescription and was pleased it was quiet.
    Originally posted by in my wellies
    You and I must be pretty close geographically, because Crediton is one of our go-to locations for fish & chips!

We aren't next door though, because doctors here are Health Centre based, with an attached pharmacy, so no trips to fetch medicines.

Anyway, hope the eye is OK this morning.

I was feeling low on Monday, having seen the bindweed surfacing with a vengeance along the deer fence that divides our mini-woodland from the thatchers' yard. Back in '13 we put a hornbeam hedge along there, as the fence was suspect, but at that time there was no bindweed. Then, suddenly, it arrived in some dumped soil and began to spread. Last year it got into a large section of hedge and began popping up in the path alongside.....

Anyway, I didn't know what to do; we have no other bindweed on the property and I don't want it. So, Monday, I was stroking the chain saw and thinking, "Better no hedge than bloody bindweed everywhere...."

Then it dawned on me; I could pleach the hornbeam and make the area under it sprayable!

So, that's what I've done and yesterday those nasty little fronds got their first dose of weedkiller. Could have done without all the extra work though!
    'I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn.' Neil Innes, introducing 'Protest Song.'
    • potplant
    • By potplant 13th Apr 19, 9:04 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    potplant
    Exciting news, one of my new gooseberry bushes is flowering. I might have a crop of at least 5 gooseberries this year. And courgette seedlings looking good so far. Good solution to the bindweed, Dave, I have been trying to deal with some which is coming up in the middle of a clump of bamboo, so not many options!
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 13th Apr 19, 9:21 AM
    • 13,169 Posts
    • 225,191 Thanks
    greenbee
    If you unravel a front or two of bindweed and drop it in a jar of weedkiller it works pretty well at killing the rest of the plant. Also works for brambles, and I'm going to try it for ivy. It's worth a try.
    • pink poppy
    • By pink poppy 13th Apr 19, 10:05 AM
    • 959 Posts
    • 5,849 Thanks
    pink poppy
    I don't think we get bindweed, but we do seem to have more creeping buttercup this year. We get nettles in the most awkward of places too. There's always a patch of nettles that get very pretty white flowers, they look a bit like lily of the valley flowers to me.

Hope the eye and sting are better, in my wellies. I ended up with a black eye after falling up some stone steps last year. I also ended up with a huge blister after (over)reacting to two insect bites, not on my face though, thank goodness!!
    Caledonia dreamin' ...
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 13th Apr 19, 10:08 AM
    • 27,880 Posts
    • 99,038 Thanks
    Davesnave
    If you unravel a front or two of bindweed and drop it in a jar of weedkiller it works pretty well at killing the rest of the plant.
    Originally posted by greenbee
    It's hard to unravel if it's on the other side of a thick hedge and climbing a deer fence backed by a shipping container! That's how it got away from me last year.

In previous years, I could access it from the other side, but when they cleared the space with a digger to make room for two containers, the root pieces were dragged along the fence line into new places I can't reach at all on their side.

Three nights of frost in a row here this week. Interesting how well the tomatoes in the poly coped under fleece. Only one or two casualties.

Yesterday, we told the builder guy who was to do the carpentry in the en-suite that it might be best if we found someone else....and he agreed! It isn't a huge job, but after waiting months without much communication or any contact from his mate, it seemed plain that neither was going to do it any time soon.

At least the plumber is on board and he can do a lot of what the builder spoke to us about originally....provided he doesn't also get called for his operation!
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 13th Apr 19, 3:35 PM
    • 5,783 Posts
    • 46,649 Thanks
    alfie 1
    half my garage now emptied !! filled my car AND a trailer and wizzed of to the tip before I changed my mind on half of it !!
    other half is possibles to sell at this spring beaulieu auto jumble [snuck in under "vintage" ... well it is old ... ]
    im raising funds for me and my dog charity [saving saints] so hopefully over 3 days will get shot of the rest of my "valuable in demand carp "

mum is home and first 48hrs was a bit weird for her [bit nervous] but is back on track today so hopefully upwards and onwards now ...

marsha seems to have settled in , next week will be the tell all ..

right well albeit no rain it is def chilly today ... im hoping I can get some plants at the car boot tomorrow to fill my tubs

well peeps, hope you all have a good weekend xx
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th Apr 19, 8:39 AM
    • 27,880 Posts
    • 99,038 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Hurrah, looks like the end of the horrible blip in the weather is nigh! But, it's still far too dry here for the time of year.

The first swallow has been sighted, though it didn't hang about and I couldn't blame it!

I see the Gatwick debacle is back in the news today, this time with hints that it was someone with inside knowledge. Well, er yes, even amateurs like me worked that out, between our groans of 'Predictable!' when two totally innocent people were arrested and splashed all over the red tops....Nice for them.

IMO it was a covert operation designed to help justify stiffer laws re drones, but I'm not smart enough to work out why they're upsetting the security services so much, apart from the obvious stuff.

Apparently, some farmers are using them now to visit their animals on larger holdings and collecting data daily about their stock. Me, I just go out and see if any of them are upside down or limping and I get to enjoy the outdoors/fresh air while I'm at it. Think I'll just stick to that!
    • lucielle
    • By lucielle 15th Apr 19, 5:29 PM
    • 8,124 Posts
    • 34,902 Thanks
    lucielle
    Lambing finished=me knackered
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 15th Apr 19, 6:13 PM
    • 13,169 Posts
    • 225,191 Thanks
    greenbee
    Apparently, some farmers are using them now to visit their animals on larger holdings and collecting data daily about their stock. Me, I just go out and see if any of them are upside down or limping and I get to enjoy the outdoors/fresh air while I'm at it. Think I'll just stick to that!
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    My cousins use them for checking on crops. One of them seems to lose his regularly. We also told him that he needs to get out and walk his fields as he's getting fat

Lambing finished=me knackered
    L
    Originally posted by lucielle
    Gin. And more gin...
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 15th Apr 19, 7:01 PM
    • 5,783 Posts
    • 46,649 Thanks
    alfie 1
    well done lucielle ... well deserved hot soak and a LARGE alcoholic beverage me finks

looks like marsha will be returning to me
    adopters feel they cant give her the time she needs .....

if there was an emoji for ... big exhale of breath with wobbly lips [bit like a horse !! ]

ive had my final teeth in today ... very pleased and I don't look like nanny Mc phee anymore

got lots of pot plants yesterday and spent the afternoon filling tubs and troughs.. with mum watching [got her to come over for a few hours and a sunday roast ]

its bl**dy cold here at the moment with a deceiving sun shining
    • in my wellies
    • By in my wellies 15th Apr 19, 7:53 PM
    • 799 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    in my wellies
    My black eye is turning yellow, all is well. If only it were the same in the garden. The frost has touched the astilbe and delphiniums, they will recover but will be delayed.

I'm having to water newly planted fruit bushes and seed beds. The dry soil has encouraged every local cat to roll and dig in the carrot and beetroot bed so once again the rows will be wonky as usual. (I put netting but need a better method

Egg production is down. Cold weather or spooked by a fox?? Who knows. I'm always surprised how flocks of hens vary so much. I rarely let them out but the new lot (ex battery) are like puppies following me about the garden. When I'm ready I just pick them up, two or three at a time and put them away. It's as if they've been hand reared. The other lot are scatty and impossible to touch and no better after three years.

Mum is getting fed up inside, she likes her outings but we often end up sitting in the car in the sunshine to keep her warm. Anything to do with animals does the trick - dementia taking her back to childhood - she shouts to stop the car when she sees lambs, the smaller the better.
    • choille
    • By choille 15th Apr 19, 10:22 PM
    • 6,333 Posts
    • 30,930 Thanks
    choille
    Well really cold strong wind here which we are fed up with but it has been dry.

Eejits set fire to the hill on their annual muir burn arson escapade - fires burning all over the place in this wind. Madness.

I've been at the dentist and then Drs today but just routine.

It will be nice having Marsha back Alfie - I think you will end up keeping her? Pleased that Mum is on the mend.

Lucielle - well done you. Lambs are lovely and I miss not having them but the prices here for Hebredians is dreadful. I just use them as grass cutters I suppose.

Supposed to get warmer later on this week - I do hope so.
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 16th Apr 19, 7:31 AM
    • 3,432 Posts
    • 9,192 Thanks
    tori.k
    Its been quite a week weather wise been constant watering because of the wind and the lower temp has black tipped most of the Griselinia.
    Things are pretty much at a standstill at home next project requires a bit of composite decking due to the mountain goat terrain so have to submit planning, It wont be a issue but the cogs of local government work around the same speed as a sloth around here. Hubby could probably do with a few weeks off he's beginning to moan about the oxymoron of how much hard work it is to make a low maintenance garden, yet we priced up the new Kitchen and he sees no issue in the work involved with us stripping out the old kitchen ourselves to save money. His inner boychild seems to love the demolition side of any job.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 16th Apr 19, 6:33 PM
    • 27,880 Posts
    • 99,038 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I'm losing the will to live over the en-suite, which has turned into a nightmare, despite our best-laid plans and trying to book people many months in advance.

It turns out the builder's substitute is on holiday abroad, which is why he didn't contact us. Some of the stuff the builder ordered hasn't turned-up or is wrong, partly because Howdens can't read their own plan. Meanwhile, the flooring supplier is blaming Brexit for being unable to source that, (hmmm..) so we've gone somewhere else with a better product.... at 3x the price....

The one positive experience we've had is through the lady in the builders' merchant, who's been totally brilliant. I don't pretend to understand their pricing, where nothing costs as much as the tickets say they do, or why they have a web site showing things they no longer sell, but somehow she steers through it all, gets what seems a great deal and then throws in free delivery.

We need more like her.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 19th Apr 19, 7:14 AM
    • 27,880 Posts
    • 99,038 Thanks
    Davesnave
    looks like marsha will be returning to me
    adopters feel they cant give her the time she needs .....
    Originally posted by alfie 1
    Dogs that are difficult to place are an emotive issue, alfie, so I will tread carefully!

Horse woman's Romanian street dog is a classic example. She now has a good home and some training, but I'm sceptical that it was right for HW to have her. HW is sceptical herself. On the surface, someone retired-ish with an acre or so in the country looks right, but.....
    This morning she was kicking-off at 6am on what would have been people's looked-forward-to, Good Friday lie-in at the barn conversions. She's been housed in what amounts to a mini urban setting and doesn't fit-in.
    Although she can go outside at first light, she gets bored in the garden and often jumps the fence to clear off for a few hours, becoming a hazard. If she stays put, she barks madly at everyone who walks/drives past; probably what happened today.

Meanwhile, the couple next door are still trying to sell their house; a total non-starter if the dog is there, which it is most of the time. They are very polite, but probably seething. The rescue of one dog has possibly trapped them in a house that no longer suits, maybe until they reduce to a fire-sale, landlord attracting price. It's an unintended consequence, but it isn't fair.

That out of the way, we are slowly, patiently resolving the building issues and yesterday I saw a skylark and heard the cuckoo.....

Happy Easter folks!
    Last edited by Davesnave; 20-04-2019 at 12:17 AM.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 20th Apr 19, 10:11 AM
    • 5,783 Posts
    • 46,649 Thanks
    alfie 1
    morning all

sadly dave this was a case of a family , albeit nice, not having a clue with regards the time and commitment needed for a dog. I saw them 3 times before and I miss read their good intentions for keen ness.
    marsha was as good as gold but I think they thought she just switched off when they wanted her too ??
    got her back Thursday, saw potential adopters Friday and off she went with them . just had a message saying no way was I getting her back as they adore her and she is so well behaved they were amazed. they have a cottage that fronts the forest , she is at home , he works , and a half acre garden ...
    so was meant to be ...
    marsha treats it all like a big adventure !!
    she doesn't bark willy nilly either ...

well the sun hit 21 degrees yesterday and its like the med at 8 am this morning ... fabulous !
    had to water my pots last eve tho so cant have it all ways ..

son has gone off to canary islands this morning with another lad for a weeks R&R .... like yeh !!

I hope you all have a fab easter weekend xx
    • Fay
    • By Fay 21st Apr 19, 6:10 AM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 3,446 Thanks
    Fay
    Morning everyone, happy long weekend. I certainly feel these few days were much needed. Work has been very busy and Iíve started seeing a couple of private patients too, which although extra work, is actually incredibly satisfying and a nice break from the day job weirdly.

In garden news. Well.what a palava itís been. The building company have finally put land drains in...hurrah, but it hasnít solved all the problems. The drive slopes down to the garage and apparently they got the camber on it wrong and it also slopes to the garden, so down and sideways. They are refusing the re do the drive and the option they have given is a drain in the middle of my soon to be lovely new patio...which Iíve refused. Iíve suggested a solution of a drain in the drive, but the that means some extra work for them...so theyíre just ignoring me. I may take it to social media as theyíre always asking what their new home owners will be doing in their gardens lol

In good news my patio and greenhouse base are being started next weekend. Again though thatís been a hassle. Had quotes rangin from £3000 to £11000...hmm. Ended up going with a friend of a friend and paying £5500. At least three came and quoted quickly, wanted the job and then never bothered to respond again. One of the companies who work on the estate were keen, quoted, come and looked at the drains and gave advice, got back to me on other things...then just ghosted me. I wouldnít mind but we werenít even dating lol

Iím going to order my greenhouse soon too. Think Iím going to treat myself to a rhino, although at £1800 it does feel extravagant.
    Iíve got plants going well in pots and planted two climbing roses on Friday round the porch, so fingers crossed for them.

I bought a new Bosch rotak mower too, thanks Dave. I didnít look when I ordered it from screw fix though and I canít have it until Tuesday! When Iím at work, so it will be next weekend now. Doh

Alfie, Iím glad to hear mum is home and lovely Marsha has found a home. My little dude (cat, although thinks he is a god) has settled in lovely here and has made himself very at home this week on new chairs in the kitchen!
    Have a lovely weekend everyone
    • choille
    • By choille 21st Apr 19, 11:36 AM
    • 6,333 Posts
    • 30,930 Thanks
    choille
    Sorry about your en-suite dave.

We still have issues with what the ex plumber did. It's been a long steep learning curve with workmen. Hope you get something on the go soon. I find it all so stressful at times.

Same fay with you - hope it all resolves soon. It's a beggar at times.

Alfie sounds good with Marsha's new owners hope it does go well. Really good of you to do the fostering.

More Muir burn yesterday or accidental fire. We to beach and all the smoke was acrid dropping down. Fire brigade out but they couldn't get to it as it was right in at the hills & a car parked across the gate way down. But it started to rain last night so that was a blessing.

Nice day today and dry so that is great for just being outside without getting blown over!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,274Posts Today

6,876Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin