Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    • 10,419Posts
    • 58,340Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Daydream fund challenge part 4
    • 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    Daydream fund challenge part 4 4th Oct 14 at 10:37 AM
    back in march 2009. this thread started, as I had daydreamed of having a smallholding for far too many years than I can remember.. since then, we are now on our 4th new thread.. and have a nice bunch of mse'rs who are at various stages of their dream... even if you ream is to have a plot of land, or a house with a nice garden.. join in, all are welcome..

here are the links to the other 3 threads
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1544047&highlight=daydream
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3812953&highlight=daydream

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4651793&highlight=daydream
    Last edited by COOLTRIKERCHICK; 04-10-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    Work to live= not live to work
Page 472
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 13th Jan 19, 8:01 PM
    • 3,414 Posts
    • 9,160 Thanks
    tori.k
    I seriously need to spend a day in the garden this week with the mild weather im very much behind with the weeding, the corkscrew willow is about to come down on Tuesday, Its being sacrificed but its not right anyway unsure if its down to last years dry spell which would be odd for a 15 year old established tree but nothing obvious is jumping out just failure to thrive.
    Its all feeling like a building site here currently, April can't come fast enough when we can paint the house and start the planting, no doubt the owner of next door feels the same as they have just put the house on the market.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 13th Jan 19, 8:25 PM
    • 27,584 Posts
    • 98,391 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I seriously need to spend a day in the garden this week with the mild weather im very much behind with the weeding.....
    Originally posted by tori.k
    I've been out and about most days, doing the jobs I love to hate, such as trimming the elm hedge on the garden side where the tractor couldn't go. I do the sides now with a Bosch battery jobbie, then the top with a long, mains-powered, uncontrollable thing from Aldi. Actually, it's not bad compared with the heavier Stihl long-reach Pete was using last week on Horse Woman's hedging. That was too heavy for me!

Then down to the woodland copse, rinse and repeat on the hornbeam/cotoneaster hedge there, lowering it to make it bushier and the next cut easier. The thatchers have parked two lorry containers permanently, so I no longer need to go round and do their side.

I've also been in the road hedge for a couple of sessions, but being in a blackthorn, hawthorn and honeysuckle section, it's been very tough and I can only manage 90 minutes a day there. Very scratched!

By heck, there will be some bonfires when the wind's right!
    'There are places to go beyond belief'

Neil Armstrong, apparently referring to worlds beyond the solar system.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 15th Jan 19, 7:13 PM
    • 5,767 Posts
    • 46,558 Thanks
    alfie 1
    hiya peeps

had a bit of a sh*te 2019 so far !

mums been poorly with some sort of eye infection that affects the nerves so is very painfull [headache above eye] 3rd hosp visit this Thursday ...
    one of our black swans [male] got eaten ! so mr foxy had a VERY expensive dinner .....
    AND one of my darling little mini shetlands has died ... no idea why , no visible injuries etc ... it was lori [you may know him by "the little sh*t" ] he was a devil on legs but adorable ...

so I am sulking a tad at the moment !
    Last edited by alfie 1; 15-01-2019 at 7:21 PM.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th Jan 19, 7:54 PM
    • 27,584 Posts
    • 98,391 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Aw, alfie, I'm sorry; I thought you'd been uncharacteristically quiet.

Yes I remember Lori was spoken about by name....for a reason! He'll stay in your memory for longer now as a result.

Is Mum's eye thing conjunctivitis? Had it before Christmas so bad that the quack was threatening hospital, but antibiotics zapped it in 3 days. Very painful and annoying. Got it again last week, but only one eye and it seems I've fought it off now.

• choille
    • By choille 15th Jan 19, 8:20 PM
    • 6,177 Posts
    • 30,404 Thanks
    choille
    Oh, Alfie so sad a start to the year. I'm so sorry about the little horse. It's a puzzle when an animal dies like that.

I hope your Mum's eye gets sorted out really soon.

I haven't had a Choille fire as it's horizonal rain here for days now. It was mild but turning again much colder & the wind is blustering up again.
    Went for a walk up to the old sawmill & the amount of trees half down all propped against one another was unbelievable - pines at the end of their lives and so would I be if one came down on me an Collie Wobble. Got out quite sharpish when they all started creaking & groaning with the wind and gravity. Loads of woodland around like that. Been done as a tax dodge & then just abandoned I think.
    Decided that I must declutter as they place is awash with stuff so been listing a little on the bay & making piles of stuff for the charity shop or the bin - little piles as I'm finding it quite hard to not be a horder - don't want to let go.........but I really must get some room cleared before I end up under a pile of it.
    Visited neighbour down at the old folks home & felt quite depressed afterwards as she likes talking about illnesses and who has them. Thing is she springs out of her chair no bother at all whereas we are having to heave ourselves up all creaking & groaning. She does look better for being in there - much healthier & less worried looking. I'm less worried than I was as she was an accident waiting to happen.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 18th Jan 19, 4:44 AM
    • 27,584 Posts
    • 98,391 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I haven't had a Choille fire as it's horizonal rain here for days now.
    Originally posted by choille
    I've had one for you! It was glorious here today, and I really resented spending it being smoked like a kipper, but it was the last chance for some time to burn the road hedge clearance stuff. Being by the road, I can't risk having the smoke reducing visibility for drivers, especially the 97 year-olds.

So that's about half this year's section cleared. Now to do the other half and make another pile....

Not much going on. DW's away sorting out wedding stuff and I'm trying to keep the cats under control alone....and it's not working, hence my appearance here at silly in the morning!

• choille
    • By choille 18th Jan 19, 11:56 AM
    • 6,177 Posts
    • 30,404 Thanks
    choille
    Thanks Dave.

Well the snow hit the other day - big fat flakes curtailing us somewhat. It's a glorious day today with the sun visible -
    It was too grey to see anything this week other than the end of the decking.

What a difference it makes when the sun comes back over the ridge. I feel it harder each year although it hasn't been too grim a Winter so far - although very wet recently with the water running off the hills in torrents.

We have to take collie wobble over to the vets as he seems to be having a bit of bother with his back end - sorry, too much detail. I feel embarrassed when I take him there as he is so vocal & naughty. Well, just being his usual self really.

I hope the roads are clear.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 18th Jan 19, 5:28 PM
    • 25,588 Posts
    • 104,431 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    I need to get out into the weedpatch this weekend - I've completely neglected it and the rambling rose needs drastic surgery before it springs back into life, as does the Pyracantha, as I haven't touched the new growth poking out towards me. The branches were groaning with berries a couple of months ago, but the bird population appears to have almost stripped it already; the more I take out the stuff going sideways, the more grows upwards and the more berries next year and the nastier prospect it is for any would be intruder. So it's got to be done whilst I can still get through the branches with my rubbish pruning saw.

Mind you, after the last two and a half days - we had one of those Visits, Dave (and probably not a good one, going by the look of SLT's faces, never mind the pale, dark eyed resigned looks of other staff) - I might never move freely again.

Could do with a nice burn up to free up space in the burner for the chopping, though. Hopefully it'll be crisp and cold all weekend to make it possible.
    Last edited by Jojo the Tightfisted; 18-01-2019 at 5:31 PM.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 18th Jan 19, 7:13 PM
    • 27,584 Posts
    • 98,391 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Mind you, after the last two and a half days - we had one of those Visits, Dave (and probably not a good one, going by the look of SLT's faces, never mind the pale, dark eyed resigned looks of other staff) - I might never move freely again.
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted

They're but a dim and distant memory..... Not too bad, mind, except that every time I hear 'Lifted' by The Lighthouse Family, I'm back there in the hall, doing assembly. The Head thought it was appropriate. My music was banned that week....well, most weeks really.

By the second time round, I'd retired, but I was still kicking around, doing supply. When the inspector slipped-in, settled at the back of the room and began to sort his notes, it gave me immense pleasure to announce:
    "Ahem..I'm just the supply. I think you may be looking for the class next door."

• alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 18th Jan 19, 9:51 PM
    • 5,767 Posts
    • 46,558 Thanks
    alfie 1
    hiya peeps

well what can I say except ive been a miserable old boot all week

BUT mum is much better , she had a check up at the hosp yesterday and her vision is now ok ,

poor LORI got taken away on Tuesday and the collection man knows I will just bawl my eyes out and he tries to make it as dignified as possible... no nearer knowing what happened and never will so we just tell ourselves it was quick and he was a spoilt bumpkin during his life

hes young here , tad plumper after !

ive been on a selling spree ! got 3 saucepan.a casserole , fry pan in le cruseat thingt for £15 at tip. stuck it in dishwasher and got £50 that evening for them .. bought a boat shaped shelf thing for £3 , painted it and got £20 , 'orrible black chandelier thing [huge] for £5 and sold for £20. so slowly recuperating from vet bills depleting the old coffers

had more hay delivered this week as the little [and big] bu**rs demolished the stack I had done the wind took the canvas half off it [pre xmas] and they pulled the rest off ! hence hay got pulled out and scattered around and trodden into the mud !!

my car passed its MOT today just wiper blades ....
    I bet they wore face masks to be in it ... it stinks of dogs !

anyway im in a better mood now and the weather was glorious sunshine today albeit very cold ....we seem to have hovered between 2d and 10d here.

stay safe y'all xx
    • choille
    • By choille 19th Jan 19, 10:28 AM
    • 6,177 Posts
    • 30,404 Thanks
    choille
    Sorry about Lori Alfie.

Good news about your Mum. And about the pans & things.

Still snow around but no more falls of the stuff. Bitterly cold & off to see a cleint - well OH is I'm being dropped at the beach with collie wobble who disgraced himself at the vets a bit but he's fine. I'm not but I will come out of hiding soon.
    • lucielle
    • By lucielle 21st Jan 19, 9:14 AM
    • 8,114 Posts
    • 34,833 Thanks
    lucielle
    Hugs to everyone that needs them. Funeral went ok and sister behaved. Stepdad needs the have his sensitivity button resent. At the pub after the even and he was already discussing where her ashes were going. The poor sod wouldn't have even finished cooking! Had a lovely wicker coffin for her. in life when she was able to go shopping she always used a basket. Painful on the arms when i had to lug it about.

Hopefully going up north on Friday. Choille I'll send you a wave!
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
    • choille
    • By choille 21st Jan 19, 2:22 PM
    • 6,177 Posts
    • 30,404 Thanks
    choille
    I'm pleased the funeral went okay Lucielle.
    You should drop in on your way North.

It's cold with the wind but no more snow as such although some forecast.
    I can't be bothered but will venture out again to take some hay up & feed.
    Ullapool seemed quiet today - no visitors or decorations. Just a quick run in for prescription & a little shop.
    There's a lovely wood before you get there & I give Collie Wobble a walk. Some amazing trees. Good that they mainly have name tags. Massive Wellingtonias and some really exotic stuff.
    • lucielle
    • By lucielle 21st Jan 19, 5:28 PM
    • 8,114 Posts
    • 34,833 Thanks
    lucielle
    Hi Choille I'm not sure where you are. Send me a pm

L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 22nd Jan 19, 9:15 AM
    • 27,584 Posts
    • 98,391 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Colder here, and even a litle sleet in the night, but still nothing ghastly on the horizon. However, I'm noticing swelling buds that probably shouldn't be yet.....

Anyway, we're just starting on the logs delivered last October, having gone through ours and Pete's held for this winter. Had another load delivered by the log lady yesterday, so there's enough to take us through, whatever happens.

We also have oil coming in the next week or so. I was offered 43ppl, so I took it, having paid 51ppl in the heatwave last summer. What's all that about?

• choille
    • By choille 22nd Jan 19, 11:07 AM
    • 6,177 Posts
    • 30,404 Thanks
    choille
    Powdery snow here & the sky looks filled with it. Doubt we'll be going far today.
    Funny that with the oil being cheaper Dave.
    OH has a lot of work on so I tip toe about whilst he draws.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 23rd Jan 19, 8:58 AM
    • 5,767 Posts
    • 46,558 Thanks
    alfie 1
    bbrrrrr we are cold today !
    im driving to sussex today and a tad scared ! roads are glassy...

well the horses demolished the first bale of hay delivered [they are the GIANT bales ] in a day ! im sure its just a challenge rather than hunger !! their field shelter is now knee deep in hay so maybe they are smart ?

just fed the birds before I leave and the peacocks came running up the garden like their life depended on it .....
    a;ways makes me take a moment and admire them .. the 2 boys are starting to get their tail feathers, always amazes me how so many grow every year in ORDER ! nature is fantastic .

right well im off
    have a good day y'all xx
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 23rd Jan 19, 6:50 PM
    • 3,414 Posts
    • 9,160 Thanks
    tori.k
    Still waiting for winter here, I guess it will turn up around March
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 25th Jan 19, 11:48 PM
    • 27,584 Posts
    • 98,391 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I think winter gales will be turning up in less than 24 hrs now, but there's no sign of the really cold stuff here.

Sneaked off to a Panto tonight to see how a local am-dram group do it.

Overall it was OK, and there were a few excellent bits, but it was 20 minutes too long and the bought-in script was very pedestrian. I never once felt involved in the story, which is the acid test IMO. Also, no mention anywhere of where the money goes.

Still, it was better than ours, because we don't have one ths year!

• Fay
    • By Fay 26th Jan 19, 5:47 PM
    • 1,013 Posts
    • 3,409 Thanks
    Fay
    Evening day dreamers. Hugs to anyone who needs one. Iím plodding on withvery little to report. Had a landscaper round this morning to look at the patio,he will call by the end of the week with a quote but I liked him and what he said.other than that nothing is happening outside other than the bog is getting boggier!
    The weather here is miserable today, grey, cold and raining.
    Iíve started to try and find my way around the new area and see if I can meet some local people. Iíve started running again...the local club who said they are ďsocial and inclusiveĒ said I couldnít join until my times were faster...donít think Iíll bother thanks, not my idea of inclusive lol but itís nice to find my way around. Iíve joined a yoga class and the practice is great and the group are lovely and friendly. Iíve been invited by one to join the local WI so8m going to give that a whirl. Iíve also found a garden group so hoping to go along next month.all in all itís going well
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,291Posts Today

6,716Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @AskJames: Someone quickly marry me so I can justify buying this. I do. "Tesco is selling a five tier wedding cake made of cheese - an?

• Today's FRIDAY twitter poll: Draconian & absurd new laws by May/Corbyn/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dicta? https://t.co/umCa8jP7LT

• Now come on that's a bit unfair!!!!! I could've done a handstand (well headstand) first if you'd asked! Sheesh! https://t.co/01Pf9Z99B1

• Follow Martin