Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    • 10,419Posts
    • 58,340Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Daydream fund challenge part 4
    • 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    Daydream fund challenge part 4 4th Oct 14 at 10:37 AM
    back in march 2009. this thread started, as I had daydreamed of having a smallholding for far too many years than I can remember.. since then, we are now on our 4th new thread.. and have a nice bunch of mse'rs who are at various stages of their dream... even if you ream is to have a plot of land, or a house with a nice garden.. join in, all are welcome..

here are the links to the other 3 threads
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1544047&highlight=daydream
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3812953&highlight=daydream

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4651793&highlight=daydream
    Last edited by COOLTRIKERCHICK; 04-10-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    Work to live= not live to work
Page 463
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 30th Oct 18, 9:06 AM
    • 26,651 Posts
    • 96,070 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Hope it doesn't feel like I suspect it will feel this morning, alfie. Like Bimble, you really need some R&R. Doesn't sound like you'll get it though!

Weather here like yours, so I'm going for it with a shovel between 11 am and 4 pm, before things turn wet and windy. I'm shielded from the wind where I'm working, so it's quite pleasant....if you like digging holes, that is. I'm very tired of it now!

Last night was officially only -0.6c so why are my Poblano peppers in the polytunnel perceptibly poorly? Alliterative answers appreciated. On past experience, the Bishop's Hat ones will probably survive another month or so yet.

As I've posted elsewhere, my Gardener's Delight toms were anything but delightful this year, (and last year too) so I suspect the original strain is no longer available. The RHS came to the same conclusion. One plant actually produced decent fruit of cherryish size, so I've kept a few to maybe see how they reproduce in the future. OTOH, maybe I won't bother, as there are plenty of others worth growing!
    A garden is never so good as it will be next year....
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 30th Oct 18, 4:10 PM
    • 3,302 Posts
    • 8,738 Thanks
    tori.k
    Seems we having a "Day after Tomorrow" weather event going on found a flash frozen fieldmouse this morning.
    Morning was made jolly by a very young man who seemed to think we had decorated the nursery for halloween and who was vocal in his disgust for us destroying it with removing the fleece,he seemed satisfied when explained we tucked the little plants up in bed at night to keep them warm, I have a feeling I will soon be told he was caught dragging his bedding into the garden thanks to that.
    I have a bit of a conundrum as if to renew my forklift licence in the new year part of me thinks its handy to have in case I want or need a new job as I have a full licence not just a site one, but the other side would quite like to give up some of the heavier jobs like stacking shelves on the dutch plant trolley's and stacking compost, we are all pretty much a bunch of old codgers so I don't actually know if anyone else would take the role on.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 30th Oct 18, 7:09 PM
    • 26,651 Posts
    • 96,070 Thanks
    Davesnave
    would quite like to give up some of the heavier jobs like stacking shelves on the dutch plant trolley's and stacking compost, we are all pretty much a bunch of old codgers so I don't actually know if anyone else would take the role on.
    Originally posted by tori.k
    The main reason we gave up selling on a regular basis was the lifting and carrying in/out of the van. When we both developed tennis elbow, the writing was on the wall.....

Sounds so wussy, but when one can no longer bang a nail in, or a hundred & one other simple things like that, the seriousness hits home.
    I'm sure I've said all this before. Going senile!

Grrr! Think all my peppers are dead!
    Last edited by Davesnave; 30-10-2018 at 7:32 PM.
    • Fay
    • By Fay 4th Nov 18, 7:48 AM
    • 998 Posts
    • 3,278 Thanks
    Fay
    Morning everyone. Alfie I hope your mouth isn't too sore. I haven't seen a dentist for 8 years. I've been in a number of waiting lists since moving to the area and no spaces have ever come up! Hopefully I can find one once I move.
    Talking of which, can I ask for some day dreamer good luck vibes please. My new house still hasn't been signed off. They're "hoping" it will be tomorrow. I should move 2 weeks tomorrow and the house has to be signed off by building control 2 weeks before you move in. So it has to be done tomorrow or I can't move and will be homesless until it's ready...with all the expense and hassle that will lead to. Argh. So can you keep fingers crossed for me please?
    Other than that stress and lots of things changing at work which is unsettling, I'm in packing mode. Joyful it's not. My poor cat isn't happy at all as he doesn't like change.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 4th Nov 18, 6:15 PM
    • 26,651 Posts
    • 96,070 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I'll be willing the sign-off to happen, Fay, but my powers of summoning-up benign influence seem to be weaker than usual just now. Anyway, it can't be much longer before youre in and starting that exciting new chapter!

As all the chillis died in that cold snap, while it was raining this pm, I dug them out and cleared two of the three beds in the polytunnel. Now I'll gamble on salad crops and chard etc, or maybe use half a bed for 200 shrub cuttings.

The second half of the new lawn is just germinating.....cut it fine again, but we had hay from the seed I sowed in the field last November.

27 sheep finally arrived. Just youngsters this year, including one black one and a chubby brownish thing that Pete denies owning! I think they'll be here for a while, as they're not in lamb.

Otherwise, there's not much going on. I've finished the main digging-out for the patio area by the bungalow, so I'm hoping to finish the remaining bit of drainage next week, get the building inspector to OK it and then fill in the last large hole. DW has started clearing the garden, so I can get on with making a proper path through it on those nice, warm, winter days we're going to have!
    Last edited by Davesnave; 04-11-2018 at 6:17 PM. Reason: formatting...or fivematting
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 4th Nov 18, 8:28 PM
    • 5,716 Posts
    • 46,172 Thanks
    alfie 1
    hi all

well ive had no pain at all from my toofy pegs bit strange feeling and slightly bruised but definitely no pain ...

MORE sad news last week ... not sure if any remembers the old lady I used to visit and do stuff for ? [friends MiL ] well she died last Wednesday eve,, she was same age as my dad 92 so had a good innings..
    friend told me the funeral directors delayed her removal from nursing home until Thursday as they had a Halloween evening for all the local dressed up kids to gather for their sugar fix from the oldies in residence there and didn't feel it apt
    that would have tickled MiL ...

bimble has fully recovered and is back to his grumpy old self .
    dolly had her pre op check and she has lost another kilo since last op so very pleased another kilo and she will be a healthy weight .

weather here has become a tad warmer but have had showers aswell.

im extremely sore at the moment from NOT taking a torch with me when going to put the bins out... fell over [in an all limbs flailing style ] a large metal rose frame/arch that id layed down on the path ....durrrr . one of those " im falling and NOTHING is going to save me !" moments... hit my knee, shin and shoulder
    to be honest id be more surprised if I DIDNT hurt myself in any given week

choille.... moi darlin' .. theres a posted box en route so don't know if they can deliver to you or you have to go somewhere to collect ? should be with you by Wednesday xx
    • Fay
    • By Fay 5th Nov 18, 9:19 PM
    • 998 Posts
    • 3,278 Thanks
    Fay
    Oh Alfie, ouch to the fall. Sorry to hear about your friend too, sad news, although with a funny story to convey her into the next life!

I've exchanged today, so move date is 2 weeks today. Your powers of benign influence clearly worked Dave...thank you
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 6th Nov 18, 8:49 AM
    • 5,716 Posts
    • 46,172 Thanks
    alfie 1
    I didn't dare to wish for anything for you fay ! didn't want to jinx anything !!
    ooooo how exciting for you , a new chapter where you will be the author AND the reader of your own biography.... think of it as a "i can do what the **** I like now " ... all the very best xxx

not much happening here , waiting for a courier to pick up a desk I have sold ... slowly emptying all in storage !

weather doesn't know what to do ! warm /cold / dry / wet .... but on average warm and dry ..
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 6th Nov 18, 8:58 AM
    • 26,651 Posts
    • 96,070 Thanks
    Davesnave

I've exchanged today, so move date is 2 weeks today. Your powers of benign influence clearly worked Dave...thank you
    Originally posted by Fay
    Great news!.......but although I thought about your potential plight yesterday, I don't think I can claim any responsibility for the way the legal beagles swung into action!

"At the last minute" is the way these people tend to work, especially if they've been busy sorting out completions on Fridays, as is typical.

Friday completion is to be avoided for fairly obvious reasons, but the solicitors like it. They would, cos' then they're not around when things go Pete Tong!
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 6th Nov 18, 12:49 PM
    • 3,302 Posts
    • 8,738 Thanks
    tori.k
    Good luck with the move Fay

Having big issues with youtube, oven packed in yesterday ruining my more than healthy portion of oven chips, DH decided we may as well get a new cooker as its a single oven and he sick of me moaning about trying to cook on one shelf.
    Moan I may but the local does a rather nice Sunday carvery and no dishes a lot cheaper than a new cooker, so this morning I decided it has to be the thermostat and the burly chap on you tube shows that its an easy fix, what he didn't say was how awkward it is to get the cooker out of the unit so I now have my kitchen in bits for DH to put back together when he gets home from work, he's not going to be a happy bunny but the part I think is ordered the one with the wandy bit so i've either saved him about 500 or cost him 10K for a earlier than planned kitchen refit
    Debit to Credit (stage 1) 3652.34 completed 15/10/16
    Debit to Credit (stage 2) 6299.09 completed 25/06/17
    Mortgage Free (stage 3) 140000/ 4389
    Save 12k in 2018 #76 5000/6000
    • choille
    • By choille 6th Nov 18, 6:43 PM
    • 5,529 Posts
    • 28,302 Thanks
    choille
    hi all

well ive had no pain at all from my toofy pegs bit strange feeling and slightly bruised but definitely no pain ...

MORE sad news last week ... not sure if any remembers the old lady I used to visit and do stuff for ? [friends MiL ] well she died last Wednesday eve,, she was same age as my dad 92 so had a good innings..
    friend told me the funeral directors delayed her removal from nursing home until Thursday as they had a Halloween evening for all the local dressed up kids to gather for their sugar fix from the oldies in residence there and didn't feel it apt
    that would have tickled MiL ...

bimble has fully recovered and is back to his grumpy old self .
    dolly had her pre op check and she has lost another kilo since last op so very pleased another kilo and she will be a healthy weight .

weather here has become a tad warmer but have had showers aswell.

im extremely sore at the moment from NOT taking a torch with me when going to put the bins out... fell over [in an all limbs flailing style ] a large metal rose frame/arch that id layed down on the path ....durrrr . one of those " im falling and NOTHING is going to save me !" moments... hit my knee, shin and shoulder
    to be honest id be more surprised if I DIDNT hurt myself in any given week

choille.... moi darlin' .. theres a posted box en route so don't know if they can deliver to you or you have to go somewhere to collect ? should be with you by Wednesday xx
    Originally posted by alfie 1
    Hope your tooth stuff is healed & the fall bruising is not too awful.

Alfie - What are you doing sending me parcels. I can't wait to see what it is but you are far too kind. Hope Bimbles tooth is healing well. Animals - they are an expense.
    Sorry to hear about BIL - that's too young, must be an awful shock for your sister.
    Today has been a lovely day & had a bonfire of rubbish & some prunings but it is very windy.

Sold a ram the other day - he was rather special - still got another one but don't want to put him in the rare breed sale as the prices are usually poor.
    The upstairs is coming on really well but the delivery today with upstairs en-suite stuff had stuff missing. It's annoying as they didn't appear until late on today when they should have been here at noon so walked collie wobbles in the dark after they'd been.

Hope everyone is well & getting on good - I will catch up with posts soon. Seem to be running to catch up these days
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 6th Nov 18, 9:48 PM
    • 26,651 Posts
    • 96,070 Thanks
    Davesnave
    You can't trust You Tube vids, tori. Guy on there runs silicone down the side of his tiling, gets his squeegee thing and wipes over it once....it's done! Looks great.

Me, I'm on it for 20 minutes, it starts to go solid, I'm covered in the stuff and it looks crap!

Mind you, there are some very interesting progs on the Tube.... stuff mainstream media won't air.

The mains chainsaw I have rigged to my saw horse has died. Everything whirrs, but the gears are stripped inside. Just checked, and it cost 50 from Screwfix in 2013, so I've probably had my money's worth!

Better get another, but is it worth paying double for a Makita?
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 6th Nov 18, 11:21 PM
    • 5,716 Posts
    • 46,172 Thanks
    alfie 1
    oooooo better the devil you know dave ......
    • choille
    • By choille 7th Nov 18, 3:31 PM
    • 5,529 Posts
    • 28,302 Thanks
    choille
    Fay hope all goes well with the move.

Alfie - Big box arrived after lunch & it is far too kind of you & very appropriate & they will all be much used. many , many thanks indeed.
    They all fit a treat.

Weather broken again after a good start but it's suddenly changed again. off to feed the sheep.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 9th Nov 18, 9:14 PM
    • 5,716 Posts
    • 46,172 Thanks
    alfie 1
    hi all.
    mum had her 87th birthday today . me, sister [nice one] and her OH and mum went for a fab lunch. topped off with a HUGE sticky toffee pud with ice cream with mums having a candle lit stuck in hers by staff to a rousing happy birthday sung by everyone in the place !!

dolly daydream has had her 2nd op and I spent most of last night comforting her as she was a bit sore and scared I think...

I have decided in a fairly lucid moment to be a saint Bernard fosterer in the new year ! o adore these dogs and so many are poorly treated. I have been a home checker for them and now want to see if I can help with rehabilitation ..... some are sent to someone to "re train" and this costs ...and to be honest I think they are thinking s and stretching it out .... I may be c**p and not as wise as I think I am but ive succeeded with my motley crews problems so am prepared to try...
    a rehabbed dog is easier to rehome , that's how I see it ....

remind me of this statement when im flattened by a monster dog !!

anyway the storm is hitting us now.. WILD out there and rain is hammering down !
    we had a big DEEP hole appear in the road off our track and some cones were dutifully placed round it a few days ago but tonight the workmen were out there [in this weather] fixing it as best they could so I drove down with big mugs of tea for them ... they were so delighted ! my good deed for today ...

dolly has a check up tomorrow then I have an airport run then im doing NOTHING ...hopefully!

if you peeps are getting this storm , stay safe xx
    • choille
    • By choille 9th Nov 18, 10:08 PM
    • 5,529 Posts
    • 28,302 Thanks
    choille
    Happy burthday to Alfie's mum. It sounds like a lovely lunch. Can you PM me your address Alfie...pleeeeeze.

Hope that Dolly makes a speedy recovery.

It's wild here - has been quite blowy since lunch time but picked up about 5pm & is quite nasty at the moment.

Feel absolutely jiggered so I'm having an early night - the wind is very fierce & the rain is battering on the windows. had a good beach walk earlier today & Collie Wobble met a couple of dogs who he loves - after getting bitten on the nose by an old collie - so he is worn out - best sort of collie - a tired un!

St Bernards are lovely Alfie but are huge as you know. You've probably got smaller ponies!
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 9th Nov 18, 10:38 PM
    • 5,716 Posts
    • 46,172 Thanks
    alfie 1
    choille...

mad dog / cat / ponies / peacocks woman who lives the first house up a gravel track on the road between Lord M's motor museum and and famous historical boat builders ******** hard .... Hampshire

be interesting if it got here !!!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th Nov 18, 9:25 AM
    • 26,651 Posts
    • 96,070 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Nasty weather didn't hit as quick as expected yesterday, so I was able to continue working on the drains and finish plumbing-in a new outdoor tap before it got too windy to think straight.

Very little to finish down in this last 'hole. ' I f I can get the last tweaks done and the building inspector gives the thumbs-up, it can all be filled-in.

Still have a lot of stuff left over though! Why is it when you dig a hole, the spoil heap expands?

Not pleased with Screwfix. Decided to get another of their chain saws, only to find there's a 'new model' with only a year's guarantee, instead of 2 on the old one.... and it uses a slightly different chain. None of my spare ones will fit it.

So, they're fired! The search continues....
    • choille
    • By choille 10th Nov 18, 10:42 AM
    • 5,529 Posts
    • 28,302 Thanks
    choille
    Alfie - You are a noughty gal.
    The wind has died here, looking low cloudy & ominous though.
    Will go to see neighbour in care home later today. I find it a bit depressing although the staff are very nice.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 10th Nov 18, 8:37 PM
    • 5,716 Posts
    • 46,172 Thanks
    alfie 1
    oh boy , doth the rain cometh !!!
    the forest is flooded !
    we were just saying a few days ago how low the water levels were still ,,, not now !
    the wind comes through like a mini whirlwind then disappears ??
    ive just advertised some furniture ive been "donated" to sell, from friend MIL [my "old lady" ] if not gone in 2 weeks , house clearance will take it all !!

keep safe peeps xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,553Posts Today

6,815Users online

Martin's Twitter