Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    • 10,419Posts
    • 58,340Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Daydream fund challenge part 4
    • 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    Daydream fund challenge part 4 4th Oct 14 at 10:37 AM
    back in march 2009. this thread started, as I had daydreamed of having a smallholding for far too many years than I can remember.. since then, we are now on our 4th new thread.. and have a nice bunch of mse'rs who are at various stages of their dream... even if you ream is to have a plot of land, or a house with a nice garden.. join in, all are welcome..

here are the links to the other 3 threads
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1544047&highlight=daydream
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3812953&highlight=daydream

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4651793&highlight=daydream
    Last edited by COOLTRIKERCHICK; 04-10-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    Work to live= not live to work
Page 453
    • choille
    • By choille 8th Aug 18, 12:06 AM
    • 5,630 Posts
    • 28,548 Thanks
    choille
    Just lost a second post - hugs to Lucielle all the crew flying the nest & mum all muddly. It's a tough call. You've done a great job raising such a lovely family.

Alfie - glad all the animals are doing well in the heat.

We are cooler but windier.

Trying to get help for neighbour from social services - I have a sore throat. What a waste of two weeks.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Aug 18, 7:00 AM
    • 26,886 Posts
    • 96,664 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Don't worry Lucielle, they'll be back..... I'm having trouble keeping mine away! DD1 and family leave today after a month, which was only a week... , and DD2 is back at the weekend, en-route to the British Fireworks Championship in Plymouth.

DD2 has finally got herself a proper job again after a 6 months working anti-social hours in a family-related fish & chip shop. That enabled her to build a new portfolio of art works, which she'll be adding-to and eventually selling.... ..maybe. She reckons her 'thing' is unique in the art world, but has had to scale it down since uni days, as not everyone has the Rawlplugs for a 40kg lump on their wall!

She's still working anti-social hours; this time on displays, so there's time-out for art in the afternoons. Best of all, 10 mins from home in the low traffic hours, which is worth a lot in Bristol!

Cool here this am, a bit of rain yesterday and more on the way, but nothing situation-changing for the farmers...

Feeling poorly does seem such a huge waste of time when there's so much to do, choille. Remember the late winter and earlt spring here too well! Hope it's mending and that you get respite via social services for the confused neighbour.
    Last edited by Davesnave; 08-08-2018 at 7:03 AM.
    "Gardening is cheaper than psychotherapy.....and you get tomatoes."
    • choille
    • By choille 8th Aug 18, 8:42 AM
    • 5,630 Posts
    • 28,548 Thanks
    choille
    Dave I have a sore throat from all the 'heated' exchanges with social services - The SS. Although I do have health issues at the moment due to bad reaction to the new medication I was on.
    Scotland's care system is on its knees as is the NHS. Loads of big wigs with very fancy titles always 'in meetings' and no help for those who desperately need it.
    The work here is progressing on the house upstairs with a great joiner coming in & working like a Trojan in quite a difficult space - although it is all starting to look like a house up there now. Moved loads of stuff down here so downstairs is like a mine field/bomb site. I must get myself weaned off charity shops.
    We are having loads of cupboards - in fact it's rooms off cupboards! I will have one to sit in with no handle on the inside according to the 'boss'.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Aug 18, 9:14 AM
    • 26,886 Posts
    • 96,664 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Dave I have a sore throat from all the 'heated' exchanges with social services
    Originally posted by choille
    Oh, sorry, I don't do the inferential comprehension too well in the mornings!

It'll be like the problems of the kids next door, or Horse Woman; a booger to resolve in any meaningful way, especially as you are so 'handy.'

I'm still hopeful for the kids. Heard the younger one telling her Dad she'd been selected to go on a special camping week for children of carers a few weeks back. Mind you, he sounded as happy to hear that as if he'd been told there was a huge wart on the back of his head.....
    • lucielle
    • By lucielle 8th Aug 18, 4:09 PM
    • 8,070 Posts
    • 34,577 Thanks
    lucielle
    Heard from DD2 she's landed and met her new employers and they seem to have hit it off. Early days but hope it continues.

Choille do you know how the crofting system works?

L
    Total Debt Dec 07 59875.83 Overdrafts 2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 8th Aug 18, 6:49 PM
    • 5,725 Posts
    • 46,241 Thanks
    alfie 1
    hi all...

lucielle.. your kids are having adventures whilst working their butts off it seems.. life before commitments is short so great they are getting some great experiences early on ..

choille ... read up on "it" and sound off quoting some regs and they often think twice before dismissing you ?

dafty? ... hope the striped visitors have bu**ared oft now .. and that your ribs are on the mend.

dave.. you shouldn't live in such a fab spot ! visitors obviously think so.... !!

well here, I moved all the horses to the farm field yesterday ... all I do is put storm on a leader and set off with the "herd" trundling along behind.. have to go through 1 field, then the lake field to get to farm field... sheep decided NO . I got horses in and watched as they charged round quite happy in the new residence .. did a head count .. 10 ? wheres no 11 ? set off trekking the fields and no sign ...aaargh ! panic setting in I did tell myself of all the ponies to steal, pippins fat Shetland torso was not high on my list ! needless to say I found him fast asleep under a tree in the furthest corner of the field... woke him up and he panicked then cos no other ponies in sight ! away he went at 90mph [I am by now kernackered from trekking the foelds ! ] I caught up, let him in , he said hi to the others then .... went to sleep !

we have had threats of rain but only had 2 mere sprinkles over the last few weeks . its cooler but still zip on the wet front ...

im thinking of going to the dorset steam fayre this year but need to do 2 days and not sure my back will cope with tent'ing it ?

the black swans and ducks have settled in like they have always been here. the slight diversion of the trickling stream alongside the fence seems to have helped top the lake up quite a bit ! we are going to divert it from the top when the rains start [when] and divert it out of lake at the bottom via a dam to continue its course ..

well, all I seem to be doing is working at the moment . never been so busy ! typical when im flaking in this heat...
    • choille
    • By choille 8th Aug 18, 9:27 PM
    • 5,630 Posts
    • 28,548 Thanks
    choille
    Oh, sorry, I don't do the inferential comprehension too well in the mornings!

It'll be like the problems of the kids next door, or Horse Woman; a booger to resolve in any meaningful way, especially as you are so 'handy.'

I'm still hopeful for the kids. Heard the younger one telling her Dad she'd been selected to go on a special camping week for children of carers a few weeks back. Mind you, he sounded as happy to hear that as if he'd been told there was a huge wart on the back of his head.....
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    It's really quite scary re SS as the SS & NHS has just been joined together re budgets & there are all sorts of infighting & buck passing going on & no care on the ground. It's like desperation.

I'm shocked at what has seemingly been privatised by the back door & there is no real help - no rolling up of sleeves & doing the practical stuff just gadgets that are confusing and they want direct debits per month for their use/services.
    There are no home carers in this locality as they pay washers & don't pay travel time. Most decent carers end up getting paid for 1/2 hour & end up being there or doing stuff for about four hours as that is what's needed. It's dreadful.
    I was told of an elderly person being in a hospital bed for 7 months as there has been no care package put in place to allow her to go home.
    • choille
    • By choille 8th Aug 18, 9:32 PM
    • 5,630 Posts
    • 28,548 Thanks
    choille
    Hi Alfie - the black swans look fab & you sound busy busy as usual. Glad our heat has reduced as it's quite exhausting.
    Quoting legislation as some of these dragons in SS would bear no fruit as these people are without any souls.

Lucielle do get in touch re crofting stuff. Pleased the new emplyres sound good eggs.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Aug 18, 9:43 PM
    • 26,886 Posts
    • 96,664 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Just chilling out now after saying goodbye to our visitors. However, took them on a mystery tour first, ending at a spot the tourists don't find.....

Still just about warm enough for a paddle and a poke around with a net. It rained a little as we left to go our seperate ways.
    Last edited by Davesnave; 08-08-2018 at 10:49 PM.
    • lucielle
    • By lucielle 9th Aug 18, 8:47 AM
    • 8,070 Posts
    • 34,577 Thanks
    lucielle
    Choille I'll pm you

Alfie yes its great that they're off doing things but forget about little old me breaking my heart. It does mean we've done a good job and they've got the confidence to do it.

I was a bit worried about DD2 in Dubai as she's dyslexic but she coped. She did once go in a restaurant and ask for a rabi steak (ribeye) we've never let her forget that one!
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 59875.83 Overdrafts 2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 10th Aug 18, 10:43 AM
    • 5,725 Posts
    • 46,241 Thanks
    alfie 1
    RAIN
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Aug 18, 12:25 PM
    • 26,886 Posts
    • 96,664 Thanks
    Davesnave
    RAIN
    Originally posted by alfie 1
    It's happened here too, but grudgingly. Temperatures collapsed overnight and the heating came on at 6am!

It's the village show today, so we were up at dawn cutting flowers, fruit and veg. Why is it impossible to get just two identical squash when they all look the same?

As usual, we were late. Just made it into the seperate craft section with about 30 seconds to spare.....

This time I'm hopeful one, or even two of my photos will come first, but they never do. I was just arranging my snap of a tussock moth caterpillar when a 10 year old dumped a huge woodlouse picture beside it that would have gone well in the Countryfile calendar.... However, I'm certain it's bigger than 8"x 6" so I'm hoping she's disqualified!

Will report back later...
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 11th Aug 18, 5:48 PM
    • 5,725 Posts
    • 46,241 Thanks
    alfie 1
    now why am I sat eagerly awaiting the result of wether the 10year olds pic got disqualified and wether Davey boy got a prize !!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Aug 18, 6:07 PM
    • 26,886 Posts
    • 96,664 Thanks
    Davesnave
    You didn't have too long to wait, alfie!

As predicted, several children were disqualified for producing A4 size photos At that age, bigger is best, innit?

My best picture only came second in its class, while my worst of the four I entered won its category. So, there you go, a win at last, but not something I'm proudly showing anyone.

What I will show are our courgettes, which took the rose bowl for fruit and veg...

Pure luck that three looked similar on the day and... err....we do have 10 plants to pick from!

With the Show coming much earlier and many folks away on holiday, we did better than in previous years, but the weather has made it a tough call for everyone. For example, I failed to produce enough decent chilli peppers or 'normal' tomatoes to even enter their classes, while my small toms were fractionally too large for the cherry section, so I was disqualified yet again.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 11th Aug 18, 7:19 PM
    • 5,725 Posts
    • 46,241 Thanks
    alfie 1

go dave go dave

well done

and I must say that's a lovely pair you have there

edit... got carried away and only saw 2 !!!
    Last edited by alfie 1; 11-08-2018 at 7:40 PM.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Aug 18, 8:41 PM
    • 26,886 Posts
    • 96,664 Thanks
    Davesnave

go dave go dave

well done

Thanks, but what do I do with a rose bowl?
    Apart from the wild ones, we've not planted roses yet!
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 12th Aug 18, 12:06 PM
    • 25,337 Posts
    • 102,337 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Did the first night of the Fireworks up on the Hoe, but ended up in a lot of pain as a result, so did the second by the swing bridge instead, which was a lot nicer and wasn't nearly so uncomfortable.

Came back Friday midnight, out to Boomtown, lots of wrangling Idiot Man Children and equipment, baffled as to what appeal there is in paying out hundreds to attend large festivals (then looked at the state of the attendees and decided it's probably a case of too much money and a desire to be off one's face for a long weekend) back out and home again.

Got a few days home before working at Beautiful Days, most of which will involve picking blackberries, watering plants and buying items suitable for the cold and mud I suspect we will be faced with by the end of the week. I have already benefited from the least offensive looking fleece jacket I bought for twenty quid - avoiding the Women's Section, obviously (as varying shades of peach, puce and purple are just Wrong) and it appears that men aren't allowed black fleeces - there must be a special supplier that provides them for Security Staff and I didn't have any black knee length cargoes to go with a black hoodie and work boots as the universal identifiers of Sound Crew, so went for the huge 'natural' green.

The downside of this is that I will never be able to step foot into a garden centre or nursery again without being asked where the Mixed Bedding is, but at least I'll be warm; it was perfect for Boomtown, particularly as it meant I was clearly nothing to do with the multitudes sporting shiny mermaid print leggings, crop tops and not a lot else (and that was just the males).

The fireworks were alright - the ones who eventually won it were the best - but I was more interested in trying to work out what was upsetting the shoal of fish that were skipping out of the water by the pontoon for the Mount Batten Ferry in the dark at the same time - I thought it could be Harbour Porpoises, as they wouldn't have wanted to go back out into the Sound because of the bangs and I thought I saw a couple of round/rolling shapes amongst the fish in the darkness. And when we did pop over to Mount Batten to cool down on Thursday, I saw a big Compass Jellyfish.

It's definitely nicer when the big events aren't going on in places, whether they're Fireworks or festivals. I prefer them like that, anyway.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 12th Aug 18, 12:43 PM
    • 5,725 Posts
    • 46,241 Thanks
    alfie 1
    Came back Friday midnight, out to Boomtown, lots of wrangling Idiot Man Children and equipment, baffled as to what appeal there is in paying out hundreds to attend large festivals (then looked at the state of the attendees and decided it's probably a case of too much money and a desire to be off one's face for a long weekend) back out and home again.

my sons there ....
    and as he couldn't get a ticket and had to pay an OTT price...I agree

its still drizzling here which is better for the ground as it actually gets to soak it up.. amazing how the green is coming back so quickly.
    got to sort out getting our winter hay now as we didn't cut this year [which was fortunate as we wouldn't have had any ! ]
    we intend to get big rounds as easier to store and just roll one out to last at least a week ! it was hard work last winter barrowing hay bales around in the mud..

I think I am getting a cold ? feel very heavy headed and sluggish.. hope not !

I seem to have the attire that attracts "questions" in garden centres [even moles?] during the winter months.. I usually just send them in the right direction.. its quicker than trying ro explain that although I look like ive just come out of a hedge backwards, I actually have but not THIS establishments hedge
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 12th Aug 18, 12:58 PM
    • 5,363 Posts
    • 42,392 Thanks
    DawnW

I seem to have the attire that attracts "questions" in garden centres [even moles?] during the winter months.. I usually just send them in the right direction.. its quicker than trying ro explain that although I look like ive just come out of a hedge backwards, I actually have but not THIS establishments hedge

Yes, I suffer from that as well ... probably because garden centres, or at least the ones round here, no longer seem to cater for gardeners

• Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 13th Aug 18, 7:36 AM
    • 26,886 Posts
    • 96,664 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Yes, I suffer from that as well ... probably because garden centres, or at least the ones round here, no longer seem to cater for gardeners
    Originally posted by DawnW
    I don't get mistaken for staff in garden centres, but I used to in builders' merchants.

When I denied responsibility, people would say, "Oh, sorry, you looked like....."
    And I'd reply, "A scruffy yard man?"

Now, I think I've reached the stage of just being a scruffy old bloke, but round here, many very well-off folks fit that description too.

I don't know how our local garden centre survives. It's been hit badly by the 10 week road closure nearby this summer too. We've benefited greatly; not that we pose a huge threat to the garden centre, but it can't help having us on one of the routes for locals to its location.

DW wants to expand sales here, but I'm wary, as increased sales means more work for both of us. Our survival here depends on a sensible work/life balance.....which we never achieve!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,401Posts Today

7,147Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Many asking "what does leaving EU actually mean for me?" both with or without a no-deal. The MSE guide to Brexit t? https://t.co/ULimpQPlHp

• I'm very glad my poll today has caused such unity and consensus. It feels like a real moment of rapprochement in th? https://t.co/QVCzqsiVOi

• RT @CourtBasedPSU: This week we hit a major milestone. PSU volunteers have now provided support to Litigants in Person on 300,000 occasion?

• Follow Martin