Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    • 10,419Posts
    • 58,340Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Daydream fund challenge part 4
    • 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    Daydream fund challenge part 4 4th Oct 14 at 10:37 AM
    back in march 2009. this thread started, as I had daydreamed of having a smallholding for far too many years than I can remember.. since then, we are now on our 4th new thread.. and have a nice bunch of mse'rs who are at various stages of their dream... even if you ream is to have a plot of land, or a house with a nice garden.. join in, all are welcome..

here are the links to the other 3 threads
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1544047&highlight=daydream
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3812953&highlight=daydream

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4651793&highlight=daydream
    Last edited by COOLTRIKERCHICK; 04-10-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    Work to live= not live to work
Page 452
    • Fay
    • By Fay 30th Jul 18, 6:54 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 3,252 Thanks
    Fay
    Hello everyone, I am trying to keep up but I'm poor at posting...sorry. We finally got rain here Saturday and it didn't stop until lunch time today. But the garden doesn't look much better for it as it came with wind and cold, boo.
    My house hunting continues. I'm having a bit of a hard time trying to buy a house. There's so far just one (project) I'm interested in but the gamer has been incredibly rude to me. Called my offer derisive, said it wouldn't be considered but legally has to put it forward, has demanded a long list of ID and proof of sale/deposit/solicito/mortgage before he will even put it forward...and was quite disbelieving that I'm buying alone and my title is Dr. Even asked where I work if I'm a doctor!! I won't have the offer accepted obviously and I can safely say I won't look with that agent ever again!
    I'm even considering new builds now as there's so little around and what is needs serious work and isn't selling.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 30th Jul 18, 7:54 PM
    • 5,702 Posts
    • 46,075 Thanks
    alfie 1
    Hello everyone, I am trying to keep up but I'm poor at posting...sorry. We finally got rain here Saturday and it didn't stop until lunch time today. But the garden doesn't look much better for it as it came with wind and cold, boo.
    My house hunting continues. I'm having a bit of a hard time trying to buy a house. There's so far just one (project) I'm interested in but the gamer has been incredibly rude to me. Called my offer derisive, said it wouldn't be considered but legally has to put it forward, has demanded a long list of ID and proof of sale/deposit/solicito/mortgage before he will even put it forward...and was quite disbelieving that I'm buying alone and my title is Dr. Even asked where I work if I'm a doctor!! I won't have the offer accepted obviously and I can safely say I won't look with that agent ever again!
    I'm even considering new builds now as there's so little around and what is needs serious work and isn't selling.
    Originally posted by Fay

oh id have told him/her to shove it where the sun don't shine !
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 30th Jul 18, 10:24 PM
    • 26,378 Posts
    • 95,428 Thanks
    Davesnave
    oh id have told him/her to shove it where the sun don't shine !
    Originally posted by alfie 1
    Don't do that! OK, any of us might like to but.....

The estate agent (gamer??) is just playing a game, and as house buying tends to be one long strategy game, that isn't a bad name for them!

Anyway, don't be narked by an agent who's trying to undermine your confidence and put you on the wrong foot. When the chips are down they want a sale....and their commission, ASAP.

Know your facts about comparable sold prices (from Rightmove) be polite, justify briefly what you offer (work on the property too etc) and then step back. It's negotiation, so show the EA you aren't rattled by their idiotic bluster, leave the offer and your details with them, and like Lord Sugar, continue your search.

I have dealt with bent agents who could barely write their name, let alone a property description, and others who have been very pleasant and intelligent, so I'd not tar them all with the same brush, but you are quite likely to meet a few spivs - goes with the territory.

Good luck with the quest, Fay. Summer hols is a dead time, but that might just work to your advantage.
    Last edited by Davesnave; 30-07-2018 at 10:26 PM.
    A garden is never so good as it will be next year....
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 30th Jul 18, 10:34 PM
    • 26,378 Posts
    • 95,428 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Dementia's tough Lucielle, and with the vascular sort it can be very variable, with more lucid moments which make the bad days even harder to bear.

Hope you get your appt for the chiro, or you could try acupuncture. Our vet is using that on animals now with good success.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 31st Jul 18, 6:18 AM
    • 24,968 Posts
    • 100,255 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Interesting night. Something tried to eat me a couple of nights ago and the red bump has now grown to a huge scarlet lump with a big black bit in the middle.

I'm unsure whether to blame a horsefly (I'm not aware of any horses in the area, but I suppose there is the traveller site about a mile as the evil people eating bug flies and they usually bring a few ponies as the numbers increase over summer) or whether a relation of my kitchen cupboard tenant has accidentally been scared into chomping at my leg.

Either way, it itches for a bit, then hurts, then stops, then starts again. And it's not very pretty.

Of course, trying to sleep in a room with a fluffy cat that whisks her tail over your body like she's dusting you means you get all manner of little touches that make you spring awake in case it's the returning woman eating beastie. So I've not actually been to sleep.

The thunderstorm that happened between about 4.30 and 5.45am was quite nice, though.

I think I might go and veg out in the bath for a bit; I've been bottoming cupboards, reorganising the kitchen and scrubbing anything that isn't capable of miaowing at me (and even they've had their feet wiped over with a damp flannels a couple of times, much to their disgust) for an entire week, I'm going to blitz the bedroom and vacuum everything, in case the Monster is still hiding somewhere in there, waiting to have a go at my face and turn me into one of the Walking (and Grumbling) Dead should I doze off at any point - and quite frankly, I'd rather be in the garden than cleaning the house again.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 31st Jul 18, 6:38 PM
    • 5,702 Posts
    • 46,075 Thanks
    alfie 1
    Jojo .... that bite does sound like a horse fly !
    im allergc so I have a terrible reaction but that sounds like a start of one ...[ if that makes sense] they literally keep going ! you may need some anti Bs to get rid.
    horse flys BITE rather than sting and infect the area... it then depends on your defences how it deals with it ...
    I was thinking a tick bite [large red area] but that doesn't come and go and come back...
    may be worth checking as it can cause lymes disease if it is
    they do say it is more likely a deer tick to cause lymes...
    so do you have a deer tucked away anywhere ?
    ive had lymes and its 'orrible ..

well went to London today , 8.45 train, walked over Westminster bridge then taxi'd to soho ....[eye opener ! ]
    sorted the keys/surveyor at the house then back on the 1305... home by 3.30 ...
    SOOOOO glad I live rural !

after the rain we are now back to 22/23 degrees so much pleasanter .
    • Fay
    • By Fay 31st Jul 18, 7:31 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 3,252 Thanks
    Fay
    Don't do that! OK, any of us might like to but.....

The estate agent (gamer??) is just playing a game, and as house buying tends to be one long strategy game, that isn't a bad name for them!

Anyway, don't be narked by an agent who's trying to undermine your confidence and put you on the wrong foot. When the chips are down they want a sale....and their commission, ASAP.

Know your facts about comparable sold prices (from Rightmove) be polite, justify briefly what you offer (work on the property too etc) and then step back. It's negotiation, so show the EA you aren't rattled by their idiotic bluster, leave the offer and your details with them, and like Lord Sugar, continue your search.

Originally posted by Davesnave
    I'm not sure I'm a great game player but that was my response Dave...that's my offer so I'll leave it with you. He came back to me today, left a nice message to say the offer had been declined but could we chat. Much friendlier...having checked out my property which has sold. I decided to increase my offer but told him it's my final. He said it's a decent offer but doesn't know if it will be accepted. But I'm not going higher so that's down to them. I pointed It to him that I've been watching the market for months and if a house hasn't sold without a week they sit around for months and usually get reduced..he said you're spot on there. I held my tongue and didn't say yes I haven't got 4 degrees for nothing! Ha ha

So let's see how this game plays out.

In other news, my angels fishing rod is doing well. Thanks Dave...I did what you said and didn't water it too much. For a while it looked dead but it's got lots of lovely new green shoots on it! Yay
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 1st Aug 18, 9:23 PM
    • 26,378 Posts
    • 95,428 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Well played, Fay. Round 1 to you.
    Fingers etc all crossed.

Um, I have been finding my own advice on dieramas difficult to follow this summer. Overwatered some, didn't I? Think I might plant the rest in a holding bed for now.

Hope it was a normal flea or fly bite Jojo, and it's much less fiery now.

We are getting lots of hornets here at present, perhaps as Horse Woman2 had a nest destroyed in her roof last week. Normally quiet, I had one very angrily buzzing me today, so I tried to be as boring as possible and just stood statue-like. Eventually, it buzzed-off. I was sooo tempted just to run for it!
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 2nd Aug 18, 11:24 PM
    • 24,968 Posts
    • 100,255 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Bite is still very scarlet/black, but hasn't actually bothered me until I caught the top of it yesterday whilst clambering round in the cupboard under the stairs in search of a tap spanner (found every type of plumbing tool except the one needed to tighten the nut holding the tap steady - typical). Looks like it's going to be rather unsightly for the foreseeable future.

So my money's on a horse fly.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

• Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 3rd Aug 18, 7:42 AM
    • 26,378 Posts
    • 95,428 Thanks
    Davesnave
    DD1 and family are here again. The forest trails are the best places to go locally when it's too hot for walking far....

Sam's progressed to trail riding.

Note the cut-off rhododendron trunks, which have been drilled and flilled with glyphosate slugs to kill the plant off. Seems to be working.

This trail leads down to the 'big' river, which is the smallest I've ever seen it.
    The dragonflies didn't seem to be bothered, though. Dozens of them flitting everywhere, but impossible to get a decent photo with my pocket camera.
    Last edited by Davesnave; 03-08-2018 at 8:22 AM. Reason: Added note to photo
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 5th Aug 18, 12:33 PM
    • 5,702 Posts
    • 46,075 Thanks
    alfie 1
    jeese its hot here again !

rain we had didn't touch the sides really ..
    ive been helping to search for a lost dog..
    shes 14 and arthritic, been spotted in the last 2 days but was missing for 5 days before that with not one sighting...which makes me think someone picked her up, saw all the publicity and so dumped her back in the area.
    im just off out again with a fresh cooked chicken !
    ive trawled through peoples wooded areas of their gardens and been bitten and stung by all in the book !
    poor gal is terrified now so lets hope the waft of a sunday roast brings her out !!

not much news otherwise
    hope you have all had a good weekend x
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 5th Aug 18, 2:26 PM
    • 26,378 Posts
    • 95,428 Thanks
    Davesnave
    ive been helping to search for a lost dog..
    shes 14 and arthritic, been spotted in the last 2 days but was missing for 5 days before that with not one sighting...which makes me think someone picked her up, saw all the publicity and so dumped her back in the area.
    Originally posted by alfie 1
    That's what happened when out cat, Daisy, was catnapped in the city. I printed off loads of posters with a picture, while DD stapled them to all the telegraph poles, stuck them to lamp posts etc etc.....
    In two or three hours, she was home, covered in fleas!
    In a difficult place here, as one of our two remaining chickens is ill and probably won't make it. That will just leave Vera the Vorwerk. She's pretty independent, often ignoring t'other one in the day time, so we may open up the pen and let her run around loose while we're working and see how she goes. She's OK with the cats.

Fast running out of plants to sell now and the veg has gone quite well too. The diversion of the main road through here for 10 weeks has boosted everything.

Hope the chicken (cooked) does the trick.....!
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 5th Aug 18, 6:36 PM
    • 5,702 Posts
    • 46,075 Thanks
    alfie 1
    well i wafted and waved the chicken around like a loon but no sign !
    BUT half hour later she was spotted and caught by the landowner so not sure if my chook waving had anything to do with it

the forest fires in Europe are dreadfull ! feel so sorry for the people. wildlife and livestock ..
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 5th Aug 18, 8:14 PM
    • 4,284 Posts
    • 9,026 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    World's Clumsiest Idiot reporting in. Yesterday, while pulling large logs out of a wasp-infested heap (they were after the sap and resin), I walked backwards in an understandable hurry, gripping over the logs I had just pulled. Fell heavily, and broke three ribs - OUCH ! Crawled back to house to be fixed by vet, who was actually sympathetic for a change.

Didn't take any animals to the Wayland Show today, partly cos it still hurts to breathe, and partly because it was too hot. It was a very, very quiet show, many folk staying away. Enjoyable though.

I shall give myself a quiet time for the next while!
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 6th Aug 18, 6:53 AM
    • 24,968 Posts
    • 100,255 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    World's Clumsiest Idiot reporting in. Yesterday, while pulling large logs out of a wasp-infested heap (they were after the sap and resin), I walked backwards in an understandable hurry, gripping over the logs I had just pulled. Fell heavily, and broke three ribs - OUCH ! Crawled back to house to be fixed by vet, who was actually sympathetic for a change.

Didn't take any animals to the Wayland Show today, partly cos it still hurts to breathe, and partly because it was too hot. It was a very, very quiet show, many folk staying away. Enjoyable though.

I shall give myself a quiet time for the next while!
    Originally posted by DaftyDuck
    Personally, I'd have found it more understandable to leave the logs to the stripey b*ggers until they're done with them and moved onto getting ratarzed on rotten fruit instead.

(Said from the position of being the [strike]utter coward]/strike] sensible person who has decided to let the local ones get on with chewing upon the shed door rather than risk upsetting them (and hoping my similar non molestation policy with the 8 legged occupants of the garden leads to a slight readjustment in population).

We're off on our summer stomp about the West Country this week, next and some of the one after, I think. Starting with the Fireworks, then heading back part of the way for a festival, then here, then straight back down again to Ottery, then back to the right side of the moor.

Must get on with finding meself a decent coat/waterproof, as I don't have one and I've got a funny feeling that there's some change coming by Thursday morning at the latest, I'd guess Wednesday for the SW.

in any case, Dave - is there much in the way of foraging stuff around ? I'm thinking of repeating my incredibly successful first attempt at jam from last year, as the big pot I made is down to the last scrapings now.

Last year, people had stripped every hedgerow, bush and tree of West Devon bare by the 15th, including every single Sloe (yes, I know that's wayyyy too early to take them, so I'm hoping their gins were as vile as the Gordon's version and they never do that again). I'm already freezing plenty of blackberries from the garden here, but that's probably the storage heater effect of the area, and I'm going to miss the main crop by being away, unless I can get my lovely friend to get them without her equally lovely husband being the ex chef he is and having them all , so I wouldn't mind hefting a couple of pounds of something jam-able back with us.

Mind you, if it gets hot again, I might try out the weir pool in Himself's village this time and stay near there rather than anything resembling walking...

• Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 6th Aug 18, 9:05 AM
    • 26,378 Posts
    • 95,428 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Bedlam here this morning.... but cultivated blackberries are coming thick & fast now and the apple crop looks good, as are damsons.

In the hedgerows, the blackberries are very poor due to the dryness. Can't say about sloes.

Weather due to break a bit at the weekend. Might be a thunderstorm, but probably not here. Nothing drastic next week. Might actually get something done!

Sorry about the dog and your ribs Dafty. Chicken here is hanging-on, but I'm hoping visitors go before I have to do the deed!
    Last edited by Davesnave; 06-08-2018 at 9:07 AM.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 6th Aug 18, 10:53 AM
    • 24,968 Posts
    • 100,255 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Just stuck another pound of blackberries onto a tray in the freezer. Or about a tenner's worth, as they're technically organic (and quite possibly vegan) because they're essentially left to get on with themselves with lots of spiders and wasps usually helping themselves to any critters thinking of molesting the plants.

Daft, really. I understand it's because they're so fragile and turn mouldy so easily, but they have to be the easiest fruit to grow in the world - the only difficult thing is preventing them turning the back garden and house into Rapunzel's Castle - but they're also probably the most expensive, even dearer than cherries and exotics at the moment. And they're sweeter than any ever bought in a shop..

Anyhow, the time spent in just a little bit of sunshine was enough to make me and the Idiot Cat woozy, so we're both back inside splodged out on the settee now I've put them on the tray and he's finished supervising the operation.

Might not need much to add to the jam list at this rate.

• DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 6th Aug 18, 9:27 PM
    • 4,284 Posts
    • 9,026 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    JJ.. Suspect you'd have dealt with the log heap as fast as me, and not fall over.

Dog reckons all sticks in the yard are The Best Thing Ever, and belong to him, whatever the Striped Guardians might think otherwise.

His swollen nose required the lot moved, stat, ribs and wasp stings no excuse. Did the rest this morning, wincing!

Other than that, I leave the bees, wasps, even hornets to buzz around in peace.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 6th Aug 18, 9:52 PM
    • 24,968 Posts
    • 100,255 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    JJ.. Suspect you'd have dealt with the log heap as fast as me, and not fall over.

Dog reckons all sticks in the yard are The Best Thing Ever, and belong to him, whatever the Striped Guardians might think otherwise.

His swollen nose required the lot moved, stat, ribs and wasp stings no excuse. Did the rest this morning, wincing!

Other than that, I leave the bees, wasps, even hornets to buzz around in peace.
    Originally posted by DaftyDuck
    you're right. One sting gets a 'well, you shouldn't have tried playing ping pong with the buzzy thing, should you? More than that, I'd even rescue the Idiot Cat.

One of the Highlights of my first evening out after having Offspring #2 (with the other parents at Nursery, so that's how long it took to have some time for myself) led to my being dropped off at about 2am. Mainly because I was a little wobbly after three glasses of wine in 6 hours.

Got up the five flights of stairs fine. Got in the door first time. Didn't turn on the light so the then OH and Offspring were not disturbed.

The (dark Brindle) mutt was very pleased to see me. Only problem was that I couldn't see him.
    I promptly tripped over and cracked ribs against the corner of the kitchen as I tried to step over him.

I decided to stay there and have a kip. When I woke up, Mutt was happily curled up next to me.

• lucielle
    • By lucielle 7th Aug 18, 8:12 AM
    • 8,060 Posts
    • 34,504 Thanks
    lucielle
    Well that's nearly all my babies flown the nest and I'm in bits.

DD2 is well on her way to NZ despite getting to Dubai and only having 5 mins to leg it to the next flight. She lands 9.00 our time, 10.00 their time.

DD1 back to her job and not due home until October. Just DS2 home.

Give me a couple of days and I'll be back to normal whatever that is!

Saw my mum yesterday and she was a bit brighter.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 59875.83 Overdrafts 2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,983Posts Today

10,290Users online

Martin's Twitter