Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    • 10,419Posts
    • 58,340Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Daydream fund challenge part 4
    • 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    Daydream fund challenge part 4 4th Oct 14 at 10:37 AM
    back in march 2009. this thread started, as I had daydreamed of having a smallholding for far too many years than I can remember.. since then, we are now on our 4th new thread.. and have a nice bunch of mse'rs who are at various stages of their dream... even if you ream is to have a plot of land, or a house with a nice garden.. join in, all are welcome..

here are the links to the other 3 threads
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1544047&highlight=daydream
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3812953&highlight=daydream

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4651793&highlight=daydream
    Last edited by COOLTRIKERCHICK; 04-10-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    Work to live= not live to work
Page 444
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 17th May 18, 9:14 AM
    • 4,301 Posts
    • 9,063 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Thumb is just a pin !!!!!. Fine today, slightly bruised. Just feel a prat, and glad I didn't get a chainsaw out next!

Spent part of yesterday helping a friend collect some lost or stolen lambs. Just three week old ones. There are some complete #### about, aren't they? If they were nicked, I have a good idea by whom...
    • lucielle
    • By lucielle 17th May 18, 8:44 PM
    • 8,064 Posts
    • 34,517 Thanks
    lucielle
    Not much to report here. Got some oil problems with the house in Skye so trying to get up there but its like herding cats at the moment trying to get things organised.

DDs are getting ready for their joint 18th and 21st party bank holiday weekend. I'll be glad been pricing up shearing stuff today combs and cutters, they are so expensive, even at trade prices!
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 59875.83 Overdrafts 2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
    • lucielle
    • By lucielle 17th May 18, 8:46 PM
    • 8,064 Posts
    • 34,517 Thanks
    lucielle
    Just to add, I love bluebells and for some reason Primroses bring a daft smile to my face.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 59875.83 Overdrafts 2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 17th May 18, 8:58 PM
    • 26,641 Posts
    • 96,040 Thanks
    Davesnave
    glad I didn't get a chainsaw out next!

Spent part of yesterday helping a friend collect some lost or stolen lambs. Just three week old ones. There are some complete #### about, aren't they? If they were nicked, I have a good idea by whom...
    Originally posted by DaftyDuck
    Mr Rod once had 39 sheep stolen in broad daylight and no one saw a thing.

Took your advice and chain sawed-up the eucalyptus trunk into relatively thin pieces, which then smashed into handy chunks with the log axe. At last, I've finally got the hang of saw sharpening.

Out in the field today, picking off the late-arriving thistles I could see that our foxgloves are building up to flower soon. Almost two years ago, I scattered tens of thousands of foxglove seeds from the garden in the hope of introducing some variation, but it remains to be seen if they will put in an appearance.

This brings me to a couple of dilemmas involving wild plants that a friend who's keen on natural gardening has given us..... One is Coltsfoot which I looked at sideways and decided to plant near the edge of the woodland area.
    http://wildflowerfinder.org.uk/Flowers/C/Coltsfoot/Coltsfoot.htm
    This spring it flowered, probably quicker than the dandelions, so it was useful in that respect, but then, when the leaves appeared, it was about 2 metres into the field, coming up in several random clumps! I decided something that could reproduce itself so rapidly was dangerous, so it was hit with Grazon before the day was out!

Next we were given some Pilosella aurantica, or 'Fox & Cubs.'
    https://www.first-nature.com/flowers/pilosella-aurantiaca.php

These I tended all through the winter, but now that they're growing away rapidly, I look at them and know they'll take the place over. They're going in the bin too!

OK I might keep one.....Famous last words!
    A garden is never so good as it will be next year....
    • ukmaggie45
    • By ukmaggie45 19th May 18, 12:19 PM
    • 2,871 Posts
    • 19,603 Thanks
    ukmaggie45
    Next we were given some Pilosella aurantica, or 'Fox & Cubs.'
    https://www.first-nature.com/flowers/pilosella-aurantiaca.php

These I tended all through the winter, but now that they're growing away rapidly, I look at them and know they'll take the place over. They're going in the bin too!

OK I might keep one.....Famous last words!
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    You keep one, you'll have millions next year. Speaking with the voice of experience here! They are pretty though, and at least they suppress some of the other weeds! I like them, but we're thinning them as we go round garden now. Thisteldown seeds spread like fury and all over the place.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 19th May 18, 2:32 PM
    • 26,641 Posts
    • 96,040 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Right...all the pilosellas are in the bin. I could have sold them, but I already have people after me for selling them Betty Arnold....delicious but very invasive!

http://www.cgf.net/plantdetails.aspx?id=1856

We only charge 3.50!

Panto photos have arrived; all 509, so I'll have a look and put one or two up later. No more news about that yet.

Oh, and the young person next door who declared themselves to be trans last week is now pregnant.....
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 21st May 18, 1:40 PM
    • 5,716 Posts
    • 46,171 Thanks
    alfie 1
    HI ALL ....

well still cracking weather here but hard work with all the watering !

ive finally sorted out my pond fountain stuff... I had a fountain in lower pond with pipe to top pond with an out let that then goes out another,down a wee little waterfall back into lower pond !!
    we are not talking boating ponds here, merely 2 small fibre glass ones ...
    pheasants and birds like it anyway

took a load of oxygen weed from pond down to the koi pond who will probably shred it overnight !
    3 of the BIG koi are lifting the water lillies by the roots !
    they are HUGE... about 2ft long and heads the size of a grapefruit ... they hear me tap and come like vultures for their food pellets. the littler ones follow cautiously !

horses/ponies are all fat as heck so on ration grass at the mo

took mum to a cousins birthday party yesterday [her cousin she goes on the hotel holidays with]... lovely marque on their lawn, scones and sarnies, bunting ,balloons for her 80th....except it turns out she is 79 !! her kids didn't have the heart to tell her as she was excited and has slight dementia....

im off to applby fair beginning of june...on my bucket list... im probably repeating myself
    just on oath not to bring anything fur/hair/feather home .......

gardeners from next door are going to hack through my lower lawn this afternoon ...its knee high and my mower wont do it ! amazing what a bacon and egg sarnie promise does

ive seen a rescue that is looking to rehome a st Bernard puppy....
    well im off out to trim some topiary sort hedges now ... I know the birds aren't nesting in it so will do it .
    lovely that everything is taking off but dam hard work to maintain it all ...

im off to sussex again tomorrow to pick up a friend...

hope you have all had a good weekend xx
    • lucielle
    • By lucielle 22nd May 18, 9:25 PM
    • 8,064 Posts
    • 34,517 Thanks
    lucielle
    Took the dogs for a walk last week and the young one took off and chased sheep. Talked to a shepherd friend and tonight she was introduced to some big sheepy boys. They have had words and I need to take her out to see how she reacts with them now. Hopefully she's learned her lesson

Ds1s dog has hurt her leg, thought she'd broken it but shes damaged her ligaments and tendons so she's come here to be on bed rest. Any tips on making a bored sheepdog rest, let me know.

It's party time this weekend so we've been full on tidy up mode. Hope the weather behaves for Sunday as we're off to ladies day at the races.
    L
    • Fay
    • By Fay 23rd May 18, 10:35 PM
    • 998 Posts
    • 3,278 Thanks
    Fay

Good to hear Ferretkeeper is OK. Wonder how Fay is getting on and if she's moved yet?
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Hi Dave and everyone else, long time not posting, sorry. No, I still haven't moved, the house still isn't on the market...but shouldn't be too long. The finances have taken ages to settle with the ex belligerently just saying no to things for a while but when he realised he would have to be in a court room with me he suddenly started to negotiate. Obviously I'm terrifying
    I've looked into it and there's no way I could keep this house which in some ways is hesrtbreaking as I feel safe here and have worked really hard in it. However in some ways it's been a relief to get a final answer that I can't stay. A fresh start will be good but I've been looking just to see what's about and it isn't much. So hopefully that might change by the time mine sells, but who knows.
    Most of the plants I potted up are doing well so that's joyful and the garden is starting to look beautiful, which should help the sale.
    I'm off to read loads of back pages and catch up with all your lives and news!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 24th May 18, 12:20 AM
    • 26,641 Posts
    • 96,040 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Hi Fay; it's good to hear from you.

At last things are starting to move for you now, after what's been a long period of uncertainty....and you've done a 'Dafty & Dave;' getting plants potted, ready to move on with you. Hurrah!

Still not much news to report here. Dog tired.....
    • Fay
    • By Fay 24th May 18, 7:40 AM
    • 998 Posts
    • 3,278 Thanks
    Fay
    Oh yes, I have arather a collection to go with me. I took both of your advice and have given anything a go I fancied and they've all come through. Some are doing better in pots than the ground. I have a beautiful little fern, but have lost its label, and it wasn't doing great. Now it's flourishing and fernatix who I bought it from have said they will ID it when they're back from Chelsea.
    I do have an angels fishing rod I want to take with me, do you think it will be ok? Not a great time to lift it I know.

I have to say I've seen some lovely gardens to buy...the houses going with them haven't been so great but who needs a decent house. But as my situation has dragged on so long they have all been sold. Very frustrating. It's now 15 months and counting!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 24th May 18, 10:42 AM
    • 26,641 Posts
    • 96,040 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Garden before house for me. You only have yourself to please at present, Fay, which makes choosing easier.....maybe. Just so long as the house is reasonably sound....

Anyone can find themselves having to leave a well-loved garden. Last year, when DW was unable to walk far or get much done out of doors, we didn't discuss leaving here, but it was in the back of our minds and we've talked about it since. The high maintenance parts of this property could be sold off with their own access, so there's flexibility, but I'm not sure we'd want to do that. Luckily, for now, we don't need to make any decisions.

The dierama won't have a massive root structure, but if you do decide to pot it, resist the temptation to give it lots of water.
    • Fay
    • By Fay 24th May 18, 9:15 PM
    • 998 Posts
    • 3,278 Thanks
    Fay
    Thanks for that tip Dave! It's sad leaving something I've worked hard on when it's not my choice to go, but nothing I can do. A new garden will be a nice challenge but I doubt I'll find a house/spot I feel quite so safe and secure in.
    It's good you've got options there. Choice is important
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 24th May 18, 10:04 PM
    • 5,716 Posts
    • 46,171 Thanks
    alfie 1
    FAY... pleased to see you back ..

I ADORED my last house.. quirky, magical but became a pain in the butt logistically..
    moved to what is [to me] a more modern house now.. missed my quirky one for a good 3 months then I realised how chilled out I was in this one, how "easier" life was here.. now I have made it mine..
    still lots to do in the garden but it can wait and I do it when I feel like it..
    I brought with me as many pots of plants and bagged rooted shrubs etc as I could and now I look at the wisteria finally gaining strength, flowering by my front door.. the camellia that LIR bought me as a house warming flowered brilliantly too. I have clematis, honey suckle, climbing hydrangea , flame of the forest, rose bushes and lots more that I brought to here ... SO a little bit of my quirky life has started anew here.
    new start for you AND your plants
    • Fay
    • By Fay 24th May 18, 11:45 PM
    • 998 Posts
    • 3,278 Thanks
    Fay
    Thanks Alfie. I think a fresh start will do me good. I'm struggling to see anything out there currently to attract me but I keep telling myself by the time I'm ready to make an offer there will be something lol. I have amassed quite a little collection already including about 20 hostas so need to find somewhere with a suitable host a place...or make one he he
    My most important consideration s that it's safe for my cat, who will be staying with me, despite what the ex keeps threatening!
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 25th May 18, 12:01 AM
    • 5,716 Posts
    • 46,171 Thanks
    alfie 1
    years ago my ex ex arranged for MY 2 Labradors to be rehomed with some stranger [behind my back ]when he thought id have no where to move to !! his feet didn't touch the ground when I found out ...
    I moved to my "quirky" house with MY dogs and he ended up back with his parents

its called KARMA
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 27th May 18, 4:14 PM
    • 5,716 Posts
    • 46,171 Thanks
    alfie 1
    well we had THE most amazing light show last night !
    it was like star wars !!
    gorgeous day again today and the short rainfall did the garden good ...

I am having to mow the lawns AGAIN ! I cant keep up with it !
    mums coming over for the day tomorrow just to potter in the garden , got her a nice piece of salmon for her dinner..

went to see dad today but he was so sound asleep I didn't like to wake him..

son is off to south Africa for 2 weeks on the 7th june ... so envy him !

im sat with a cuppa knowing I have to go finish planting some pots up .... just one more biskwit .......

have a good bank holiday peeps xx
    • choille
    • By choille 27th May 18, 5:08 PM
    • 5,529 Posts
    • 28,302 Thanks
    choille
    Lucielle they do that here with the sheep chasers - quite effective I hear.

Welcome back fay - hope things go well. The garden stuff is great to move plants & plan - but things will come together hopefully soon. It must be frustrating. I am pleased I started on the outside first as the trees are a brilliant shelter from the road & elements - too much sometimes with the midgies.

Hope it goes well.

Tried moving sheep yesterday & the madness of the NC500 got really dangerous & silly - people driving through the sheep & at them. Hurling abuse - I hurled plenty back. Had half a dozen crazies & the sheep just took themselves back up the hill - as if they'd had enough too after a couple of hours of that. Got up at 5 am & shifted them then, so quite tired now as I just stayed up as it has been glorious.
    Put some stuff on Gumtree & the guy came for that this afternoon so I am pleased - little things but surplus and in the way.
    Haven't done a tenth of what I had planned for today but it will have to wait.
    Son has some damn fine holibobs Alfie - jealous so I am. You sound busy busy bee.
    Dave hope Mrs Dave isn't being overworked & everything is going good.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 28th May 18, 1:16 AM
    • 26,641 Posts
    • 96,040 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Dave hope Mrs Dave isn't being overworked & everything is going good.
    Originally posted by choille
    After 3 more days on it, we've got the nursery area sorted: all the dead stuff removed, weeds dealt with, many plants re-potted and so on. We even made a new section behind the barn for the plants that don't appreciate being baked....but it's taken a toll on Mrs Dave, who needs a rest.

Now, today, BiL has decided he needs to widen the area for his caravan, so instead of getting on with the new garden, I'll be doing that. Also, the Outlaws are coming down for a few days....I think we may as well write the coming week off, but hopefully, it may yet enable us to put up a new windbreak fence.

What you say about getting the trees in first is so true. Our main garden now has the yew hedges, without which it would get even more battered by the unseasonal winds we often have nowadays. Our problem was that the previous people put their wind breaks too close to the house, so most had to come out.

I would go mad with all those folk getting so impatient with the sheep. Here, people just sit and wait....unless it's school run. Woe-betide anyone who messes with school run timing!
    • choille
    • By choille 28th May 18, 8:52 AM
    • 5,529 Posts
    • 28,302 Thanks
    choille
    You're a right slave driver Dave. Good that you've got things sorted - you both sound very organised. I am quite shambolic - I like to call it organic - all the weeds and the like.
    I must cut the grass before it becomes all bent over and ridiculous. It's another beautiful day here - truly glorious.
    Took teenager collie up the hill last night and let him off for a run and he actually came back! I found an old bottle dump and must go back and lift the broken glass.
    So much to do - I would like to lift some self seeders before hoeing up the side of the track - see I'm that tight, I can't bear to throw anything out. I may pot them up, bring them on & do gate sales, but we'll see.
    Neighbours this morning for a hoover through - I think she's getting more muddled. It's a worry.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,742Posts Today

7,228Users online

Martin's Twitter