Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    • 10,420Posts
    • 58,340Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Daydream fund challenge part 4
    • 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    Daydream fund challenge part 4 4th Oct 14 at 10:37 AM
    back in march 2009. this thread started, as I had daydreamed of having a smallholding for far too many years than I can remember.. since then, we are now on our 4th new thread.. and have a nice bunch of mse'rs who are at various stages of their dream... even if you ream is to have a plot of land, or a house with a nice garden.. join in, all are welcome..

here are the links to the other 3 threads
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1544047&highlight=daydream
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3812953&highlight=daydream

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4651793&highlight=daydream
    Last edited by COOLTRIKERCHICK; 04-10-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    Work to live= not live to work
Page 443
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 10th May 18, 8:40 PM
    • 12,672 Posts
    • 220,674 Thanks
    greenbee
    I'd keep an eye on the distance between those posts and the house over the next few years. If they own the land both sides you may find they creep...

The hornet has moved into the bathroom and has been snoozing on the curtain wire since the middle of last night. I'm not keen to move the curtain and disturb it. The window is open...
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th May 18, 11:45 PM
    • 25,566 Posts
    • 93,564 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Hope Mum has stabilised now, alfie.

Also hope the hornet makes it to freedom, but it might be a bit chilly for that tonight.....5c ? What's that about?

We're looking at web-cams, but stuff has been selling and the lovely people here sometimes pay the odd 50p more, or don't take change, so the pilfering will be cancelled-out eventually. We've a market to do on Saturday, so preparing for that. We lost quite a lot of stock to the Beast, so it may be a shortish season!
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it. More changes on the way?
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844460
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 11th May 18, 7:04 AM
    • 12,672 Posts
    • 220,674 Thanks
    greenbee
    It's gone... now I'm wondering where I'll find it next ...
    • choille
    • By choille 11th May 18, 11:17 AM
    • 5,403 Posts
    • 27,935 Thanks
    choille
    The hornet has vacated Greenbee - Hurrah! Hope it stays gone.

The temp is up and down - hail yesterday over east. Cold today - a snell wind as they say.

Just having a slow start as no one is in - I'm sure they all go home early on a Friday in those venerable institutions that are a PITA to deal with.

Dave do you know who the tea leaf is? It is bad in a small place as you start to wonder who it is amongst the locals that would do that - well, that's what I wouldn't like.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 11th May 18, 12:21 PM
    • 4,220 Posts
    • 8,841 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    It's gone... now I'm wondering where I'll find it next ...
    Originally posted by greenbee
    Bzzz. bzzz... You will hear it for hours after it has gone.

... or is it in your sock drawer? Behind the sofa? Cookie jar???
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 11th May 18, 4:32 PM
    • 5,657 Posts
    • 45,772 Thanks
    alfie 1
    hi all

firstly mum is doing well.. had a day "off" then set off [via taxi!] yesterday to get her hair done ! I forgot to tell her id asked on a local FB page if anyone new the lady that had helped her as wanted to thank her and when she was greeted with "oooo your infamous" by the hairdressers she was surprised ! I got a reply and spoken to the couple who rescued her and thanked them.... I had to ask their age as mum had said "oh,much YOUNGER than me" when I asked her... they are in their late 70s/early 80s.... mums 86......
    anyway she is ok , has to have follow up checks but nothing life threatening.

id be bl**dy annoyed if it was a local nicking plants ,dave ! id sit behind a hedge with one of those huge water guns and let fly when they didn't pay ! was it the same day of the week by chance ?

hornets !! when I moved to our last house [an old gate lodge] we didn't know there was a hornets nest in the roof and that they came down one of 4 chimney/firplace openings occasionally ...that is until my then 17 year old jumped into his bed late one night ,whipped the quilt up and then yelled for England ! bearing in mind this lodge had no mains leccy so in the dark literally he ran into my room, luckily in his boxers! with a hornet still attatched. he had been stung 3 times... next day they were found and removed !
    always had a nest in another part of the outbuilding but they kept to themselves...

im working on the railway this weekend as its a garden open day next Wednesday... I will try and get some pics ..

I have taped a bird singing in my garden but don't know how to put a video on here? as ive no idea what bird it could be...its LOUD !

I want to build a pergola and had to get those square base post holder thingies that bolt to a stone path ....I was delighted at getting 8 from tip for 1 each today ... NEW !!

if I won the lottery tomorrow id still be bargain hunting .....

well its cooler today [16] but nice to work in.

have a good weekend peeps xx
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th May 18, 12:43 AM
    • 25,566 Posts
    • 93,564 Thanks
    Davesnave

id be bl**dy annoyed if it was a local nicking plants ,dave ! id sit behind a hedge with one of those huge water guns and let fly when they didn't pay ! was it the same day of the week by chance ?
    Originally posted by alfie 1
    I'm fairly relaxed about it. It's a tiny minority, or one person, so it'd be daft to spend a fortune on security cameras etc, or waste time trying to catch them. I'm just grateful I live in an area where people are honest enough that we can operate in the way we do.

We have a fair idea what the person who stole the first plants looks like and what she drives. It's no one from the village.

Glad Mum is back on form.

You can get an app to ID birdsong, apparently. I spotted a friend in our garden this week, brandishing her phone, so I assumed she was taking a photo. How flattering! Nope, she was trying to record and ID a bird, but it was too windy...
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it. More changes on the way?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th May 18, 2:26 PM
    • 25,566 Posts
    • 93,564 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Market went well. Nice, quiet, slightly sunny weather.

Sam, down for the weekend, wasn't interested in the Market, beyond the cake stall, but he was pleased to have a whole playground for learning to ride his first proper bike......

..that didn't take long!

Meanwhile, in the grassy bit of the village play area, some very exotic chickens reclaimed their territory as soon as Sam moved on....

No idea what these are. One might be a legbar.
    • choille
    • By choille 12th May 18, 2:37 PM
    • 5,403 Posts
    • 27,935 Thanks
    choille
    Sam is fairly growing.

I think the white hen is a silkie - great broody hens.

Beautiful day here so will attempt some planting of seeds.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 13th May 18, 10:56 AM
    • 5,657 Posts
    • 45,772 Thanks
    alfie 1
    glorious morning peeps ...

I have a dilemma !
    I have booked a long weekend to go to appelby fair [fri-mon] accommodation paid, taking 2 others with me....great !
    I am looking after big lad lab for 10 days.... they have booked flights etc
    dilemma.... appelby is smack in the middle of the 10 days
    didn't twig re dates
    SO I need to find a multiple dog sitter to stay here for 4 days.. talk about a love triangle
    cant let big lads owners down...
    cant let other 2 for appelby down.....

apart from that got a good days work in yesterday on the railway . going again today....and possibly tomorrow..

sun is beaming today
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 13th May 18, 9:29 PM
    • 5,657 Posts
    • 45,772 Thanks
    alfie 1
    dave and choille....something "in the post" for you
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 13th May 18, 10:02 PM
    • 4,220 Posts
    • 8,841 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    ..... expect half a Labrador dog each!
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 13th May 18, 10:42 PM
    • 5,657 Posts
    • 45,772 Thanks
    alfie 1
    ..... expect half a Labrador dog each!
    Originally posted by DaftyDuck

I will send a "piece" to you too if you are curious
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 14th May 18, 9:38 AM
    • 5,657 Posts
    • 45,772 Thanks
    alfie 1
    I am assuming you know by "in the post" means by private message
    • choille
    • By choille 14th May 18, 11:11 PM
    • 5,403 Posts
    • 27,935 Thanks
    choille
    I am assuming you know by "in the post" means by private message
    Originally posted by alfie 1
    Alfie - Totally and utterly breathtaking. OH is so besotted with it. He loves trains and the signal box is to die for - his words.

Hope everything goes well re holibobs.

Gorgeous day here so did some planting of seeds - some I'd actually bought and some I had *cough* liberated from a rather fetching NHS Trust garden near here.

Went up hill this evening to look see - amazing views and good to walk the dog up there - he'll be covered in ticks though. Drier up there than I expected but the grass is coming & the sheep have manured near the old fank really well - so it's quite lush amongst the rough at bits. Just as well they're hardy though.

I have plans for the hill but will keep them under my hat for now.
    • lucielle
    • By lucielle 15th May 18, 9:54 AM
    • 8,020 Posts
    • 34,328 Thanks
    lucielle
    All sounding good. hope you find somebody for the woof woggits Alfie. We're trying to find a suitable boy to mate Izzy to when she's next in season. That will be fun but scuppers the plans for going away at the back end.

Had a young chappie here building a log store. I use the term logs loosely as all we chop up are pallets from the deliveries we get. Still it all burns and keeps me amused picking the nails out of the ashes. He also built me a ramp to get the lawnmower out of the shed easier.

The chaps are here installing a new boiler as ours is on its last legs. Cold bath anybody? Glad its being done now as its the DDS big party at the end of the month a joint 18th and 21st and then off to the races on the Sunday which happens to be ladies day.

The DDs may have a chance of going to NZ to do some milking out there, possibly September onwards.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 59875.83 Overdrafts 2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 16th May 18, 7:59 AM
    • 25,566 Posts
    • 93,564 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Apologies for not thanking you earlier alfie for that amazing video of the railway, garden etc. Stunning, and such fun too!

Hope the holiday arrangements have been sorted.

Hope to post again soon when I have downloaded some piccies of our walk through the bluebell woods near here last weekend.....
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 16th May 18, 8:55 AM
    • 5,657 Posts
    • 45,772 Thanks
    alfie 1
    morning peeps..

bit overcast today and the odd spit of rain..

glad you enjoyed the "railway" ... that's lottery win country !!

re my weekend break/dog horror.... nope.... no luck to sort it out yet .. my dogs are no problem but big dog is boisterous. my sister cant do it as her hubbys knee op is imminent, mum cant as big dog too much , other friends are working... I have one last port of call to try if not then im stumped and big dog may have to go to dog sitter/kennels ......

Kingston [foal] has been enjoying her time in with the "big ones" with no trouble except she keeps wanting them to play and to them its like having the annoying little sister following them around ! but they have been good
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 16th May 18, 5:57 PM
    • 4,220 Posts
    • 8,841 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Alfie: It's a cute railway - but not what I expected. I had visions of you wielding a sledge, smashing clinker, and driving one-foot pins into sleepers, sweat pouring from biceps ...

In other news, half a dog arrived by post, but not "Hirst-style", as I expected. I got the rear, and it poops everywhere. Having no front end, I can't tick it off. Whoever keeps feeding it mackerel and cod-liver oil, it's not funny anymore, I've run out of Jaypine and scrubbing brushes.

(... It's been a long day and, having finished "work", I set to work building a wood and wire door. I stopped when I stapled my thumb (via the nail) to the wood).

I'm stopping. OH is cooking supper in a couple of hours and, aside from feeding the beasts, I am doing NOTHING. Better - and safer - that way!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 17th May 18, 8:42 AM
    • 25,566 Posts
    • 93,564 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Hope your thumb's OK today Dafty. I had a similar sort of issue yesterday trying to modify our barbecue with a piece of expanded stainess steel mesh, which ended-up stuck in my middle finger...... No real problem, till I went to sleep, somehow bashed it, stayed asleep and bled over everything!

The bluebell woods around here are magnificent just now, so we took time out to wander round one which we'd heard might not be open to the public again.

In other news, we've bought a post box as a money depository for the gate sales. It won't stop plant theft, but it will mean anything larger than 50p won't be just sitting there....

Pete was up here on Monday repairing fences for new neighbour, Horse Woman 2, so I got him in to repair our failed posts as well while he had the basher handy. Turned out we had 9 of them rotted-off, all with 15 year guarantees. Claiming on these might be interesting. They've only been in since 2010.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,816Posts Today

7,493Users online

Martin's Twitter