Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    • 10,419Posts
    • 58,340Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Daydream fund challenge part 4
    • 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    Daydream fund challenge part 4 4th Oct 14 at 10:37 AM
    back in march 2009. this thread started, as I had daydreamed of having a smallholding for far too many years than I can remember.. since then, we are now on our 4th new thread.. and have a nice bunch of mse'rs who are at various stages of their dream... even if you ream is to have a plot of land, or a house with a nice garden.. join in, all are welcome..

here are the links to the other 3 threads
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1544047&highlight=daydream
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3812953&highlight=daydream

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4651793&highlight=daydream
    Last edited by COOLTRIKERCHICK; 04-10-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    Work to live= not live to work
Page 439
    • choille
    • By choille 14th Apr 18, 1:08 PM
    • 5,630 Posts
    • 28,548 Thanks
    choille
    Glorious here - warm, yes, warm and no wind or sleet or rain - how odd is that? The waterproofs can come off but still wearing wellies - it's traditional.

I have done my back in & I don't know how. Up most of the night and just barely walking about. OH who is not that great with his mobility has taken the hairy one down the beach on a long line just in case. It is peaceful without all the clatter so I am just sitting feeling guilty for just sitting feeling guilty for just sitting............

Alfie you sound busy what with glass houses and taxi runs and potting things. I like dahlias too but I can't touch the pollen or sap as it gives me a serious rash but they are good value.

Dave I planted a eucalyptus too near the house. It got frosted a few times and is a bent stringy looking skeleton too near the house really. I think they are called widow makers in Oz as they can suddenly drop a limb. I may saw it down while it's stlll a juvenile all though it's fairly shot up - it looks too stick like. I think eventually it may deter the insects that bite but I think that would be its only redeeming feature - however I don't like killing trees. I am confined to a chair at the moment so I have time to plot and ponder.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 14th Apr 18, 2:35 PM
    • 12,898 Posts
    • 222,658 Thanks
    greenbee
    Warm and sunny here too, so I've strimmed and mowed (ideally need to do a second cut later today on a lower setting, but at least it's looking tidy now!) and started planting some of the plants that have been hanging around in pots. I always forget when I'm buying them that I'll have to find them homes!

I also need to start doing some weeding, otherwise everything will be full of rosebay willowherb and not much else.

Like Alfie, I have a pile of bits of greenhouse to deal with - I need to order new clips and rubber seal and possibly a couple of bits of glass. I'm beginning to wonder whether it wouldn't be easier to buy a new one! I've got a base - we used plastic grid filled with gravel to make it (I wasn't here when it was done, so I'm hoping there is compacted hardcore underneath it...), so in theory I can either tie it down with cable ties or concrete in fixings by taking gravel out of one of the squares. Hopefully I'll get it done soon as it's in the way at the moment!
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 14th Apr 18, 6:59 PM
    • 4,335 Posts
    • 9,140 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Greenbee... If you buy some new clips and use some old, ensure you randomly spread both around the greenhouse.

My OCD tendencies made me do a really neat job last year, using all the old ones up first, before opening the new bag. Looked lovely, all shiny clips on the visible side!!!

We then had a storm. The differential tension on the old clip/new clip sides let the whole frame flex, until one pane popped. That freed the next to pop... and the next .... and onwards.

It was spectacular, it was fascinating from an engineering perspective, and it was fi ng terrifying in the gale.

I'd just use one type, new or old, after that experience.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 14th Apr 18, 7:08 PM
    • 12,898 Posts
    • 222,658 Thanks
    greenbee
    Thanks Dafty - someone else told me the same. It's always good to learn from other people's experience I expect I'll get round to it one day...

Having done a reasonable job of the mowing and planted most of the stuff that needs planting (I'm just rearranging a few shrubs to try to find the best position for them as I want them to provide some privacy where people can see in from the road), the garden is looking tidy and a few bits of garden furniture have been liberated from the overcrowded garage.

I just need to get going on the vast log pile on the patio... I've nearly finished the old logs, so should be able to get the log splitter out and aim to do a barrow-load a day from the new pile. ALthough most of them need chainsawing first as they're too big for the logsplitter.... so I'll have to be nice to my brother.
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 14th Apr 18, 10:51 PM
    • 10,419 Posts
    • 58,340 Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Evening all.

What a fab day weather wise.. youngest and his girlfriend moving out next week. So should be able to get some sort of routine back .

Spoke to ferretkeeper on fb a few days ago.. she is fine..

The plastic etc for the polytunnel has arrived. So after next week we should be able to get on with that. Can't wait to start filling it up lol..

After putting loads of weight on due to stress etc. I have now lost a stone. And starting to feel a lot better for it. So need to lose a bit more.. .
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 15th Apr 18, 11:47 AM
    • 10,419 Posts
    • 58,340 Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Morning all

Trying to get back into posting again lol

Grey skies and rain here. What a diff in two days!!!!

Just about to have a cuppa.. no sugar and no biscuits these days.. before I go out and do some work in the greenhouse..

Bought a lovely bunch of spray carnations from Lidl. And taken a load of side shoot cuttings, so fingers crossed they will root.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 15th Apr 18, 6:05 PM
    • 25,337 Posts
    • 102,337 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Spring is finally, well, not so much springing, more reluctantly unfurling, with a couple of BOIING moments where the rambling rose and pyracantha have both burst into growth.

My small woodland area looks as though it's going to be the entire back garden eventually, as the patch by the shed has produced loads of primroses, cowslips and assorted other things (probably some sort of buttercup, going by the leaves) and the only other things that seem to be doing anything are all woodland type species. So, reasonably enough, I stuck some white foxgloves in there. And a mini wildlife pond/a rice cooker bowl - it's sunk in the ground, I put lots of stones in there for things to climb out or perch on, will get indirect light and hopefully will serve as more than a particularly interesting water bowl for the cats.

Unfortunately, there is no way for frogs or toads to find their way in there, thanks to the big brick walls - and a walk today showed the only wildlife pond (where, in previous years, I could have been naughty and brought a jar of spawn and some invertebrates back from) is both largely devoid of life and fenced off to 'protect' whatever is left/hiding under the two foot deep mud.

I know that places need light in order for more species to proliferate, but in chopping down every single tree, bush and shrub in a fifty foot diameter, fencing off the pond so not even a thirsty fox can get near and hacking down/trampling to death so not even a shoot remains all the plants that surrounded the pond, they have also created what looks more like a shellhole on the Somme, removed all shelter and habitat for existing wildlife, probably killed all but a handful of frogs hibernating (they couldn't have done it recently due to the wet weather - the fencing wouldn't have stayed upright and the people doing it would have sunk up to their knees in the mud, so it was done over the winter) and left the whole area apart from the water itself easily accessible for flytippers, who now won't get tangled up in Holly, brambles or mature, native trees on the way, so can travel further into the woods than they generally did. I don't suppose the Moorhens or single duck that nested there, undisturbed for years because of the shelter it provided, were particularly impressed, either. Every woodpecker tree, hawthorn, a huge oak and an ancient yew has also been felled.

It was sad to see huge swathes that were normally full of celandines (and subsequently bluebells) all just thick, gloopy mud. But I guess that's what happens when the trees and plants that would have thrived on the moisture and helped to keep the area together are gone.

Came back for lunch and now slumped on the sofa with a cat surgically attached to my leg. I'd move him and myself, but he's got lots of pointy bits and isn't afraid to use them to stay attached.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • choille
    • By choille 15th Apr 18, 7:57 PM
    • 5,630 Posts
    • 28,548 Thanks
    choille
    CTC - I think that your pinks may very well give shoots and roots. They are prone to it. Good luck.

Greenbee you sound really busy and productive. I am sloth-like, vegetating in bed. Good for you hiding the road with planted shrubs. I planted trees and shrubs here before we built the house to do the same and I am so glad I did that. You can always trim when they get too monsterous.

Dafty - reminds me of when we lived elsewhere & I lost a greenhouse in a gale - it ended up 1/4 mile away all twisted on the golf course but huge jagged shards of glass were embedded in the grass in the garden and beyound- I wouldn't have liked to have been out there when it happened.

JoJo - that is terrible with the pond and trees. We are lucky in having a fabulous community woodland a few miles away that is teeming with wildlife - frogs and toads abound as does everything else. I have frogs and stuff on the croft - it has very wet areas. Especially this last year.

There was a Ferrari hit a pot hole just down the road and is parked up jiggered. There were four very expensive cars stopped and the passengers all looking at it. I think they were doing the NC500. I wonder if they'll sue the Council. It'd bankrupt them the state of the finances up here I think.

I've done nothing today other than direct OH like a bossy hen - which I am in a way. Gosh - I may delay recovery, but hopefully it will ease as I am in agony - honestly.
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 16th Apr 18, 11:06 AM
    • 10,419 Posts
    • 58,340 Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Morning all

Choille sorry haven't read that far back to find out what's happened. But hope what ever it is. You will be ok soon..

Sun's out at the moment. So going to hurry up and pack the eBay stuff and get outside and potter along.

I have had a HUGE problem with mice this year in the greenhouse. So I have had to resort to buying a few of those cheap plastic propergatar trays and lids.. And cutting down plastic bottles to cover plant pots..

This was the first year I shut the greenhouse door all winter.so the cats couldn't go in there. Will not be doing that again lol..
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 16th Apr 18, 11:34 AM
    • 5,725 Posts
    • 46,241 Thanks
    alfie 1
    hiya ctc.... glad your back in "our land"

try making a cat flap in tunnel for your cats to go to war !
    yesterday morning was grim, raining and I thought ...poop.
    but by 2pm it was gorgeous ??
    today the birds are singing full pelt ,the sun is shining and im still sat in my dressing gown my gardening efforts over the last 3 days have taken their toll and im as stiff as a board... once I get going again , I will be ok.... hopefully

just had a request to go to surrey on Wednesday to help finish clearing a small cottage that belongs to a friend . its part of a bigger cottage and her sister was living in smaller one till she got her own place [which she now has].. friend reckons theres some stuff I could sell .....

my bay sales equalled my months s at the holiday let and the car boots start next week so that's what im going to do.
    I have set my sights ,with a friend, on going to SAO TOME and PRINCIPE this autumn. its a little'ish island off Africa.. wont be cheap but one of the few virtually un touristised places left !
    so every penny counts now

just looked out and all the dogs are sunbathing on the lawn ...which needs cutting again
    put tilly and Kingston into the farm yard field on Saturday, long but rough grass as tilly needs to fatten up a bit, don't think she has lifted her head since she went in there...

why is it when there are 3 jobs that NEED doing but cant decide which to do first and in the time it takes to think that ,you could have done 1 of them....

hope you all have a brilliant week peeps xx
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 16th Apr 18, 7:33 PM
    • 5,725 Posts
    • 46,241 Thanks
    alfie 1
    thought you may like to see what my Canadian cousin drew on my dining room wall for me whilst she was here....

• Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 16th Apr 18, 9:20 PM
    • 26,886 Posts
    • 96,664 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Mr & Mrs Fox have very l o n g tails! Or maybe she is still Miss Fox, because he seems to be acting deferentially, removing his hat!

I had enough of tails last week. There were 7 of us with them (6 rats) so it was lucky the dressing room was less crowded than usual. Total profits were IRO 1900, which is better than expected, given we could only do 3 nights.

No more photos to share yet; some are on Faceache, apparently, but the bulk will be on a USB stick.....'somewhere' in the village.

I have mice in the polytunnel too CTC, but they can't climb my aluminium staging and our cats are in there every day.

Hope you are soon over the back problems, choille; they're so debilitating. Have you a good physio in your area? They exist, but it's finding them among all the quacks and charlatans!

People have moved into Horse Woman's house, put up electric fencing in hertheir paddock....and disappeared! I predict they will soon return with a horse.
    "Gardening is cheaper than psychotherapy.....and you get tomatoes."
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 18th Apr 18, 7:21 PM
    • 5,725 Posts
    • 46,241 Thanks
    alfie 1
    well.....I had a long drive up to surrey ! 3 HOURS ... 1.5 of them sat on the M3 due to an accident. SO cracked on with the house sort when we got there , her sister was about as much use as a wet paper bag , bless her.... kept saving stuff instead of skipping it and then says she has no where to put stuff !!

anyway we set off home, heavy but moving traffic...
    got within 7 miles of home and bu**ar me I hit the car in front of me .... I have checked my in car cam and I was well behind him [good gap....I thought] going about 35/40mph when about half a dozen cars all slammed on their brakes...me too but I just sailed into the corner of him, I swerved to the verge but just clipped him . if id swerved harder id have maybe JUST missed him but could have hit a tree instead....
    just goes to show that keeping the correct distance makes the difference !! the lady in front of him actually got out and thanked him for missing her [and he missed her by inches !] SO gotta sort out the insurance tomorrow ...
    ive got a dislodged drivers side headlight and a wonky bumper but really it took the bump well. HE has a wallop in his boot line and boot but will prob be a bigger job . it was an older X reg BUT probably his pride and joy so I hope they don't argue the repairs and write it off as he will get peanuts then...
    im F*****G jinxed in this car ! ive had both wing mirrors damaged this year [someones hit and run in car parks] plus when that girl hit me side on a couple of years ago !
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 19th Apr 18, 6:59 AM
    • 26,886 Posts
    • 96,664 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Alfie, if someone's car's written-off as 'uneconomic' to repair and the other party's regarded as at fault, it's normally possible to take the money and then buy it back for a nominal sum. The car may then be fixed by any local bodyshop, much more cheaply than if it had gone through insurance. I know, having driven 'bangers' all my life!

With the way the road surfaces are, and considering the driving habits of many Devonians, I've decided that when this 'stop-gap' car is replaced for something that'll pull a trailer, we won't go far up-market.

The wind was just right for a really good burn-up in the field yesterday, clearing the non-useful tops from the trees we had to cut down, the apples we managed to prune and about 8 dumpy bags of a friend's former leylandii hedge. Also barrowed over a few more dumpy bags of garden clearings as DW has been sorting that. Now there's just the remains of the big eucalyptus.....when that dries out, it will go like a rocket!

Still no new neighbours in Horse Woman's place.....
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 19th Apr 18, 6:04 PM
    • 5,725 Posts
    • 46,241 Thanks
    alfie 1
    well.... my sympathy is receding !
    apparently the lad has done the hospital/doctors visit for a sore neck !
    also apparently he had a leak ?? under his car so has been given a hire car !
    apparently his boot wont shut ?? funny as on my car cam he opens and shuts his boot then drives off.... boot firmly shut !
    all he has is a dent in his boot line, NOT a major dent, just a dent..

my cars being picked up tomorrow so be interesting if they pick his up too OR send out an assessor...

I HATE all this claim for injuries business.

anyway, an absolutely sweltering day here, hit 27 degrees and was a joy to behold
    booked sheep to be sheared a week tomorrow.
    booked all the dogs to be clipped too.
    dolly daydream has taken to wading through the bog pond every day this week and getting the stinky mud and chickweed of her thick coat is a task so its all coming off !

• alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 19th Apr 18, 6:07 PM
    • 5,725 Posts
    • 46,241 Thanks
    alfie 1
    just a funny pic of BEFORE and AFTER bimble dog has been told he is not coming in the car with me....

and so hes not left out ! dusty doo

Last edited by alfie 1; 19-04-2018 at 6:37 PM.
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 19th Apr 18, 8:54 PM
    • 10,419 Posts
    • 58,340 Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Alfie what a poop. Main thing is no one injured

The insurance will sort it all out .you should mention it's all on dashcam. As then they can see he wasn't injured and the boot did work etc..
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 19th Apr 18, 9:21 PM
    • 12,898 Posts
    • 222,658 Thanks
    greenbee
    Alfie - they're cracking down on whiplash claims (it's very specific) so he may find he's out of luck. And as CTC says, give your dashcam footage to your insurer.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 20th Apr 18, 8:20 AM
    • 26,886 Posts
    • 96,664 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Alfie, DD1's no-fault accident, where there was no big drama, resulted in many, many trips to physio, spanning years.

OTOH, DW and I have been rear ended no less than 5 times, though one of them was a bicycle! We had a few pains on one occasion, but nothing lasting; it's luck of the draw.

If it's like DD1, with a genuine long-term injury, the treatment would be long term too and the pay-out might not happen for years. However, this guy sounds like a chancer. As suggested, give them the dashcam footage and let the insurers fight it out.

On a lighter note, as we're on pictures, I thought I'd bring you Pandasheep snapped in the neighbouring farmer's field yesterday, down by the stream:

Last edited by Davesnave; 20-04-2018 at 8:24 AM.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 20th Apr 18, 9:54 AM
    • 4,335 Posts
    • 9,140 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Looks like a Kerry Hill to me.. now I am an expert

No longer count as a rare breed.... But they are wonderfully marked, and look permanently surprised!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,678Posts Today

7,437Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Many asking "what does leaving EU actually mean for me?" both with or without a no-deal. The MSE guide to Brexit t? https://t.co/ULimpQPlHp

• I'm very glad my poll today has caused such unity and consensus. It feels like a real moment of rapprochement in th? https://t.co/QVCzqsiVOi

• RT @CourtBasedPSU: This week we hit a major milestone. PSU volunteers have now provided support to Litigants in Person on 300,000 occasion?

• Follow Martin