Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    • 10,420Posts
    • 58,340Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Daydream fund challenge part 4
    • 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    Daydream fund challenge part 4 4th Oct 14 at 10:37 AM
    back in march 2009. this thread started, as I had daydreamed of having a smallholding for far too many years than I can remember.. since then, we are now on our 4th new thread.. and have a nice bunch of mse'rs who are at various stages of their dream... even if you ream is to have a plot of land, or a house with a nice garden.. join in, all are welcome..

here are the links to the other 3 threads
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1544047&highlight=daydream
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3812953&highlight=daydream

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4651793&highlight=daydream
    Last edited by COOLTRIKERCHICK; 04-10-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    Work to live= not live to work
Page 438
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 8th Apr 18, 11:00 AM
    • 10,420 Posts
    • 58,340 Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Morning all..

Been trying to catch up on the last few pages..basically it's water.. mud.. panto.. lambing..

Our youngest and girlfriend have got themselves a rented property ( via girlfriends family) so don't need a bond etc. And can move in from next Sunday.. I have been breaking my heart.. as now hubby and I will be on our own. In one way we will get our days back. As they both don't drive. So we are a taxi service. Shuttling them back and for to work ( they both start at different times) so can really knuckle down and get on with work outside that should have been done ages ago... BUT. I am worried as they got to walk 20 mins to get the bus and then there is no direct route to work ( 2 buses) so they might be back with us in a few months.

Have had a very tough few months as eBay has been very quiet. Plus not much work around...

Getting the plastic and ground WEED cover for the Poly tunnel this week. So will try and get some things growing to sell.
    Work to live= not live to work
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 8th Apr 18, 11:11 AM
    • 5,680 Posts
    • 45,913 Thanks
    alfie 1
    well the bl**dy drizzle is back

I too get disapointed with a lot of garden centres that seem to have the illogical set up where a cafe takes precident !
    I tend to buy all my basket plants from a lovely older couple that have a stall at our local boot sale. I buy a car load and always big healthy plants at half the price [so I buy twice as much ]

glad the panto was succesfull dave, glad the audience survived too !!
    ours USED to be but was as you described, a locally "staffed" event. here in the forest the house prices are now ridiculous and seems that only those that evacuate from the "city" can afford them hence a different style of input as to how the village should be run !
    glad the audience survived too

glad I got the lawn done yesterday ! horrible mizzley rain AGAIN today... when is it going to stop !? never known such a wet first 1/3 of the year !

don't know if any of you saw re the little French bull terrier stolen in the motor museum here ? she was tied up in a dog area whilst owners went into one particular part of museum. they caught the woman on cctv and it spread like wildfire. [this was easter Saturday] well yesterday the owners got her back, apparently she was handed into a vets.. there was an advert for a frenchie on an advert site but was spotted and whoever quickly removed it.. may be connected. police are on to it and I hope they name and shame the culprit [polite description ]

I have just added up the costs of all my animog feed
    wild bird feeds
    dog/cat feeds
    horse feeds
    owl feeds

equals MY living expenses [utilities and food / fuel etc ]

keep safe peeps
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 8th Apr 18, 1:42 PM
    • 24,679 Posts
    • 98,557 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Well, show's over for another year.

To be clear, our Panto isn't am-dram; in fact people can't join as actors if they're in am-dram. That's the only rule, apart from residency. It's a proper village thing, so there's just as many folks working behind the scenes as bods on stage. It works because the village owns it.

Anyway, we had a fairly 'dramatic' last night, with one of the actors suffering a fall and broken wrist backstage and a member of the audience having a 'turn' during one of the more risque scenes, which involved male striptease.....

This one seemed somewhat fated from the start, but we made it through, just about!

We'll be back for number 21 next February.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    It's supposed to be a leg - and they aren't actually meant to do it

Wet, wet , wet. Not the band whose album on cassette tortured me as a fifteen year old trapped in a caravan in the Cotswolds in biblical levels of downpour for all but the last hour before we left. With my Mum , brother, his girlfriend and their 2 year old spoiled demon, as it was the only tape his girlfriend owned. The weather.

Again.

Hmmm.

Just looked out the back door at my efforts. Not looking too bad - but the garden appears to be sinking in the middle. Over the years since I moved in, the general level has dropped over a foot, going by the rubbish pebbledashing they slapped over a perfectly adequate Victorian brick wall, and I know I built raised beds and topped up one side with a couple of bags of compost, but the difference in height is quite noticeable between the edges and the centre, which means roughly a two foot drop in the middle, extending by about a ten foot diameter.

Normal settling on a build that could potentially be sorted by trucking barrowloads of soil through the house - or something slightly more alarming?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 8th Apr 18, 6:36 PM
    • 5,163 Posts
    • 40,862 Thanks
    DawnW

don't know if any of you saw re the little French bull terrier stolen in the motor museum here ? she was tied up in a dog area whilst owners went into one particular part of museum. they caught the woman on cctv and it spread like wildfire. [this was easter Saturday] well yesterday the owners got her back, apparently she was handed into a vets.. there was an advert for a frenchie on an advert site but was spotted and whoever quickly removed it.. may be connected. police are on to it and I hope they name and shame the culprit [polite description
    Originally posted by alfie 1
    I did see that, and am so glad to hear that the owners got her back. I have a very small, friendly 'cute' dog (though not a Frenchie, which are terribly trendy and popular) and there is no way on earth I would leave him tied up unattended anywhere. And if that meant I couldn't access areas of an attraction etc, then so be it. Not sure what is going on with all the dog thefts you hear of nowaways. Round here it seems to be mostly gun dogs that are taken, the trained type, often kennels targeted, broken into etc

• choille
    • By choille 8th Apr 18, 8:49 PM
    • 5,418 Posts
    • 28,019 Thanks
    choille
    Hi CTC - Good to hear from you again. The DS will be fine I'm sure and it's good they are getting independent but it will be a worry.

Ebay is pretty quiet just now and I have far too much stuff cluttering the place up. I think if you list some new stuff before re-listing it sort of boosts visibility a bit.

Glad the panto went well dave - you all put so much into it. There is nothing here, not even a shop now. No community nuffink. It's dire. Even the docs who did come once a week for 1 1/2 hours seem to call off quite a lot. Cut backs but it's not handy for folks who can't drive.

That's terrible about the dog stealing, really pleased they got the dog and do hope that the person is charged. What a dreadful thing to do.

The cloud dropped like a stone today as it came quite mild and wet. Hope no one is caught out up the hills. I've done little outdoors as it's so disgusting.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Apr 18, 8:50 PM
    • 25,869 Posts
    • 94,217 Thanks
    Davesnave
    It's supposed to be a leg - and they aren't actually meant to do it
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted
    Well, as the lady actually did it, she's probably glad it wasn't a leg! She's up and about today, apparently with a lot of facial bruising too, but not incapacitated.

And to continue on the leg theme....the annoying part: it wouldn't have happened had she not been standing-in for a teenager who'd wimped-out. However, her partner teenager covered both parts brilliantly, adapting the script 'on the hoof.'

Spent today installing our new TV....or rather helping future son-in-law to install it. The last time we bought a brand new telly was some time in the mid 1980s. We needed something like a piece of heavy duty playground equipment to fix it to the wall, but having finally got it up there, miraculously without hitting any buried cables, I now read that the HDMI leads I carefully inserted before the plasterer worked his magic aren't good enough for the latest TVs.......

Guess who can't get the existing leads out to put the new ones in.....Arrrrgggghhh!

Hope it picks up for you CTC. Good to see you here.
    Last edited by Davesnave; 08-04-2018 at 8:52 PM.
    I might be old, but I got to see a lot of good bands...
    • choille
    • By choille 8th Apr 18, 8:52 PM
    • 5,418 Posts
    • 28,019 Thanks
    choille
    Sorry Dave - didn't fully read your post about the wrist and the person having a turn. It's all happening at the Panto. Hope they are okay - both of them.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th Apr 18, 8:46 AM
    • 25,869 Posts
    • 94,217 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Hope they are okay - both of them.
    Originally posted by choille
    Yes, the lady who had the funny turn was reported as 'pretty perky' yesterday....well, perky for a 93 year old!

Buds are breaking here, big time, and I'm officially looking for swallows from today. With a bit of luck, we might manage to jump-start spring this week.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 9th Apr 18, 9:31 AM
    • 4,244 Posts
    • 8,906 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Blossom is out here, blackthorn, some early cherries, I think an apricot. Spring has sprung, until it is very firmly put back in the box by Jack Frost and his cronies.

I still have a wheelbarrow bulging with hedging to plant, much of it in leaf, some beginning to flower. I planted a couple of hundred wild roses all over the farm over the weekend, and my fingers are covered with tiny thorns.

Sheep are keeping their legs crossed, hoping for some sun. We are sleep-depri
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 9th Apr 18, 7:37 PM
    • 24,679 Posts
    • 98,557 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Blossom is out here, blackthorn, some early cherries, I think an apricot. Spring has sprung, until it is very firmly put back in the box by Jack Frost and his cronies.

I still have a wheelbarrow bulging with hedging to plant, much of it in leaf, some beginning to flower. I planted a couple of hundred wild roses all over the farm over the weekend, and my fingers are covered with tiny thorns.

Sheep are keeping their legs crossed, hoping for some sun. We are sleep-depri
    Originally posted by DaftyDuck
    I'm assuming that somebody decided to uncross her legs at that precise point

If we've just witnessed the start of Lambing, good luck, Dafty.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 9th Apr 18, 7:51 PM
    • 12,688 Posts
    • 220,927 Thanks
    greenbee
    Either that or the sleep deprivation finally caught up with him
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th Apr 18, 8:14 PM
    • 25,869 Posts
    • 94,217 Thanks
    Davesnave
    We now have wee lambs in the field that makes a valley with our fields. Soon they'll be racing about and jumping like they do every spring, when I'll be able to take soft focus photos of them, with the primroses and all the new leaves.

But for today it was celebrate DD2's birthday in a local eatery and then off for a ferret walk, to see if we could burn it all off by tea time in the local woodlands.

Boy, do these guys walk! Compared with Eric and Wilf, DD2's original two ferrets, these are Olympic 10 000m champions. Sorry, I don't know which one is alfie, alfie; I think the one with the green lead

However, they're having the 'snip' tomorrow, so we'll have to see if the amazing forward focus they demonstrate every time they go out is repeated once they stop looking out for lady ferrets!

Just for a change, it rained, but we completed a reasonably strenuous 2 mile route before getting very wet. Best news of all was that DW managed it too.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 10th Apr 18, 7:10 PM
    • 4,244 Posts
    • 8,906 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Survived lambing most of last night/early morning, followed by a day at the Norfolk Showground surrounded by ~ 8,000 children. Didn't kill any of them, as far as I remember! Lambs or children.

You can fit those lambs in one hand, easily. All doing well. One more mum to lamb!

Time for bed.
    • choille
    • By choille 10th Apr 18, 7:17 PM
    • 5,418 Posts
    • 28,019 Thanks
    choille
    Lovely lovely lambs and ferrets - goodness - ferrets on leads.

Met a nice couple from West Wales and their collie which has ice blue eyes - both of their eyes, whilst down the beach. Two collies played together really nicely which is great to watch.
    Really bitter wind out there today - brings tears to your eyes.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th Apr 18, 10:01 PM
    • 25,869 Posts
    • 94,217 Thanks
    Davesnave
    goodness - ferrets on leads.
    Originally posted by choille
    As you'll know, they don't walk to heel and they have a tendency to disappear down any hole, so leads are the only way to give them exercise outdoors.

Eric and Wilf were hopelessly slow when out on the lead; they'd play-fight and muck around a lot. These two just go like the Duracell bunny. Whether they'd murder him is hard to say, but so far they've been very good tempered and disinclined to bite.

Eddie, the one on the red lead, chatters to himself incessantly when he's having walkies. Alfie occasionally joins in.

Not much wind here; just rain.

Hope you get a good night's sleep Dafty!
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 10th Apr 18, 10:10 PM
    • 4,244 Posts
    • 8,906 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Hope you get a good night's sleep Dafty!
    Hah! Sadly (or gladly), the next ewe is busily wandering round in circles, then raking a nest in the middle. I suspect it might be a late night - or not much night at all. But, there are several warm heaps of Bagot to curl up with, if things get cold.

Yes, these latest are the cutest, smallest sweetest bundles of bouncing fluff imaginable. Hope the next lady manages OK. Off to the barn again now.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 12th Apr 18, 6:33 AM
    • 5,680 Posts
    • 45,913 Thanks
    alfie 1
    early good morning to you all...
    someone remind me of my "taking it easier" quote please !
    why am I up at silly o clock to do an airport run .... then go to work THEN do another run after work ????

beautifull misty warm morning tho....
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Apr 18, 7:55 AM
    • 25,869 Posts
    • 94,217 Thanks
    Davesnave

beautifull misty warm morning tho....
    Originally posted by alfie 1
    Yes, at last, the outlook seems much better. It'll now be the usual race against the weeds, the grass and keeping everything potted-on/watered.

We've had some nice comments about the panto, so whatever our fears, the audience didn't seem to mind. Heard one person was disappointed at the lack of 'local' jokes and I can relate to that. The lines of the Ghost of Christmas Future in 'Scrooge' are something I still trot-out occasionally when appropriate: "There are worse places than Witheridge!"
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 13th Apr 18, 8:36 AM
    • 25,869 Posts
    • 94,217 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Apparently, not everyone had the glorious day we had yesterday.

Anyway, apart from mowing and potting toms, we were able to get the 'gone completely bonkers' eucalyptus in the garden down without wrecking the foxglove tree it was threatening to overwhelm.

I was a bit out of my comfort zone, working from an extension ladder, but at least eucalyptus are easy sawing, so we got the top 10 feet down without too much drama. Then we dropped what was left with DW pulling it the right way with rope. I think if it had gone another season, I'd have been paying Pete!

That just leaves a cherry at Mr Dog's end, which is being bullied by a wild service tree and needs to come out of its way. The WST is rarer and will win in the end anyway.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 14th Apr 18, 11:56 AM
    • 5,680 Posts
    • 45,913 Thanks
    alfie 1
    well good morning peeps

is this the start of the "warm spell" ???
    certainly is here ! misty early , now a lovely day ...
    going to crack on with the garden this weekend . got my little shed moved yesterday [didn't have the heart to demolish it so the builders next door hoiked it up and literally carried it to another spot. this makes space for the greenhouse, of which the built frame is unceremonially dumped on my lawn at the mo ! AND it is a lot bigger than what I thought !! in fact its huge !!
    so this weekend I have to clear an area for it which means due to the height a couple of tree branches have to be removed.
    planted and sorted all the plant pots by the cattle grid yesterday having bought a lot of half price plants [dahlias etc] .. I do love dahlias as they go on and on and on ......
    im mowing my lawn weekly to get it back to a lawn !

hopefully once the ground dries up in the fields I can give all the hoss's a good groom and bath. they are all mud monsters at the moment ! then get the sheep shorn.......

well im off out while the suns out ..

have a good weekend peeps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,553Posts Today

9,355Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin