Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    • 10,420Posts
    • 58,340Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Daydream fund challenge part 4
    • 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    Daydream fund challenge part 4 4th Oct 14 at 10:37 AM
    back in march 2009. this thread started, as I had daydreamed of having a smallholding for far too many years than I can remember.. since then, we are now on our 4th new thread.. and have a nice bunch of mse'rs who are at various stages of their dream... even if you ream is to have a plot of land, or a house with a nice garden.. join in, all are welcome..

here are the links to the other 3 threads
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1544047&highlight=daydream
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3812953&highlight=daydream

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4651793&highlight=daydream
    Last edited by COOLTRIKERCHICK; 04-10-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    Work to live= not live to work
Page 434
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 12th Mar 18, 10:47 AM
    • 4,186 Posts
    • 8,710 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    'It'll come in handy......'
    ... and, eventually, it always does. ... ....

..... if you can find it!
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 12th Mar 18, 11:38 AM
    • 5,645 Posts
    • 45,698 Thanks
    alfie 1
    ... and, eventually, it always does. ... ....

..... if you can find it!
    Originally posted by DaftyDuck

oh so true...
    at my last house I had lots of sheds etc and barn type garage that NEVER had a vehicle in it ...ever !
    when I came to move I had to be strict with myself so got in the "clearance" chaps .. I HAD to go round saying yes or no and it was gone in seconds on the "yes"... with me regretting it when it flew into the back of the pick up unceremoniously but it worked ...
    finding an old wooden piano/organ in a state of collapse brought titters from the chaps when I said NO... I took off all the quaint wooden pull out thingy's that would have once dictated the sound and then said YES
    they filled a large truck with metal objects beyond reserection !
    so how come my TRIPLE garage is full of "treasures" and my side sheds [2] have been filled and not "sorted" for nigh on 4 years now ???
    I really have to get in there and be strict as they are 2 good brick sheds that im sure I could put to better use...

its drizzle rain here today...
    sister and OH go back to the IOW today along with their 2 greyhound , one of which [Rodney] had to be physically lifted onto the boat and off it coming here ! he just doesn't like stairs so he gets to use the staff lift and they hold the cars coming off so he can walk off the car ramp !! he then trots gailey off not knowing what all the fuss is about !

cousin got back from devon safe and sound even tho trains stopped half way back and she had to re route twice !

im still sat in my dressing gown as its the first morning in a long time that ive had nothing on my agenda... until 1pm anyway...

keep safe peeps
    • Viking_mfw
    • By Viking_mfw 14th Mar 18, 8:25 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 524 Thanks
    Viking_mfw
    Well... went to Galloway for a week (acquired some wild garlic and white currants for the garden) and stopped pff at my parents on the way back (acquired two big clumps of Alpine Strawberries to let loose for future picking by the smallest viking) and they've only gone and bought a 3 acre smallholding! It's absolutely fabulous and I have serious land envy. There's two hen enclosures, a fenced in and protected veg plot, a large field with enclosures and substantial outbuildings. Just shows you should never give up!
    Save12kin2018 #100
    • choille
    • By choille 14th Mar 18, 9:29 PM
    • 5,391 Posts
    • 27,855 Thanks
    choille
    Galloway is really lovely Viking - I think it sounds really lovely what they have acquired.

I have some small strawberries that have bright pink flowers when they come out. I have them on a banking that is quite sandy so I suppose it drains and they come up each year like a little gem. The garden is a shambles and now the snow has gone (for the time being) thinks look dishevelled - bit like myself really.

Been in Inverness with neighbour who needed to do stuff. It's gone really cold again and very heavy sky. Got a chipped windscreen on way home - so much stones from pot holes everywhere. The roads are looking like a third world country - which I think we are becoming....rapidly.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Mar 18, 10:34 PM
    • 25,283 Posts
    • 93,001 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Sounds good Viking; is ithe smallholding anywhere near you?

We have the potholes too choille;even spotted a couple on the M5. Our A377 trip to Barnstaple feels like a slalom course, as we weave around them......just have to watch out for folks weaving in the opposite direction!

I've given up Pete's fishing. Paying the price of a half decent brushcutter for the right to compete with a family of otters seemed slightly bonkers. I'm working on alternatives......

Wet and windy all day here.
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs and use Firefox, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it yet....
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844460
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 16th Mar 18, 2:17 PM
    • 5,645 Posts
    • 45,698 Thanks
    alfie 1
    well its a gorgeous spring day here today, aprox 12degrees and yet they say on sunday we are getting SNOW !!
    we will see.....

the forest is still under water... well almost ! its like mini lakes everywhere, just not draining away.. we don't seem to have had that much rain in the last couple of weeks but the fields etc are just mush ..

im def giving up the holiday let stuff.. hes now got a dam great yurt that hes adding into the mix so COULD be up to 3 premises to turn around between 10am and 3pm !! nope, not a chance..
    im too old, too kernackered and too wise to do it... owner wont be happy but hey ho, he will end up paying double to get it all sorted but considering even the annex is 1500 week in the summer, house is 2400+ and yurt ? ...he can afford it ...

im off to visit my dad now, cousin has gone of on a jolly with my son to see some ancient monument hidden in a wood up a hill in the middle of nowhere !! best of luck, if they aren't home by 7pm I will call for help .... hehehehe
    cousin goes back next Tuesday so will be a heathrow trip early.

right, suns shining, birds are tweeting and im sat with a cuppa.... better get my butt in gear...

stay safe peeps
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 17th Mar 18, 6:39 PM
    • 5,645 Posts
    • 45,698 Thanks
    alfie 1
    well today the temp dropped to zero and we had 30 mins of white ! all gone within the hour..

temp is still very low so ive stacked up the hay for the hoss's and bedded the chooks.

the 2 new peackocks [pr] have been let out of the stable this week having been in for nearly 3 weeks and bless 'em they are sticking around.. original old Mr Peacock is being very dismissive but I think secretly likes the idea that they follow him around like groupies ...

ive lit the fire, battened down the hatches and going no where tomorrow [all bar to check on the animogs ]
    I do feel for some hoss's I see stuck on a small mud patch paddock with no shelter, no coats on and very little hay.... why do owners think one section of a bale is enough for a day !! tilly would get through a bale on her own !!
    Kingston is getting to stamp for her bucket of feed now... cheeky devil ! she is soooo long legged and a right show off ...

right my jacket potatoes and prawns beckons...yum yum

keep warm, keep safe peeps
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 17th Mar 18, 6:51 PM
    • 12,629 Posts
    • 220,244 Thanks
    greenbee
    We've had some snow here too Alfie. Some of it has settled, but not much. I warmed myself up getting kindling and coal in and chopping logs, and like you don't plan to go out tomorrow! I'm going to clear my laundry backlog (I've been travelling for work for the last few weeks) and get my expenses done, and stay indoors till it warms up.

I've been looking online for plants - I want some magnolia stellata to plant on the bank between the somewhat tatty hedge and the stream. I also need to source native plants so that I can get the bank planted up in a way that helps prevent erosion, and also build it out in places as it has been artificially straightened which is causing issues with the flow when water levels are low. I've heard a rumour that the commercial tree nursery up the road also has lots of native plants and sells to the public if you go there, so I'm planning on taking a look over easter - Hopefully it'll be warm enough to plant a few things by then!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 17th Mar 18, 9:30 PM
    • 25,283 Posts
    • 93,001 Thanks
    Davesnave
    It was snowing quite hard here when we returned from a quick trip to town for some essentials. None of it settled.

We used the good weather of Thursday and Friday to finish the hedge laying, rather than waste it on shopping! This has been the hardest section so far, full of wild roses and honeysuckle. They'll soon recover, if last year's section is anything to go by.

Now we have a two huge piles of stuff to burn, but with neighbour and the road, we can only do it in a north west to north wind. If it snows enough tonight, I'll whip out early and drop the last oak that needs to come down, as it's bound to fall in the road. We've kept all the good ones, and now they can be seen properly, but this messy one is too close to one of those.

Not much else to report. The Panto rehearsals stagger on, but I fear it's lost its "Ooomph!" We still can't seem to get the whole cast into a single run-through, because of illness and folks jetting-off to sunnier climes. Also, I have the wrong part. I don't mind being the cockney, wide-boy, hero cat, but I could've been a great rum-addled, Deb'n sea captain....and I'd only be on stage for half the amount of time as well!

EDIT:
    Looked out the front door at 8 a.m. to see someone whizzing past and thought, "That's the tree felling off for today!"

We've had a little snow, but not enough that it's cramping anyone's style just yet.
    Last edited by Davesnave; 18-03-2018 at 9:37 AM.
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs and use Firefox, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it yet....
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 18th Mar 18, 11:46 AM
    • 4,186 Posts
    • 8,710 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    It's cold out! Bitter wind too, windchill saying -11°C ... might be close to that, I suppose. Most of the animals are in, as much for our ease as their comfort (well... mainly for their comfort ...) but the hairy sheep like it out, so there they stay. Under their frost-crisped fleece, their undercoat is completely toasty, so no trouble there.

I still have hedging plants to plant. The last spell of cold, plus this, have put me well behind. Mind you, I bought a lot to infill last year's planting, as we had that totally tropical April/May, with drought, and lots died, maybe 15% of what I planted. I bought an extra 200 to replant those. However... on raking the first few up, all but one was actually shooting. It was just the top that died. I went along a 100 metre hedge I'd planted, and only found five definitely-deceased. I therefore have a couple of hundred spare, and have to invent another border to plant them on. When it's not so brass monkey denadding... for now, it's tea and hot X buns in front of the fire.

Some red kites have settled in the wood. That means we now have buzzards, kites and marsh harriers along the river, plus smaller birds of prey. I'm hoping the swans will nest again, and the herons are already on their territory. Considering this place was destined to be a lorry park a couple of years back, it's pretty pleasing. The neighbours, it must be said, are delighted, as lorries wouldn't have actually fitted up the lane without considerable damage...

There's not much snow, but there were still isolated pockets left from the last lot. The wildlife is proper confused, and I must admit to the same.

Spring! Pah! Balderdash and humbug!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 19th Mar 18, 7:51 AM
    • 25,283 Posts
    • 93,001 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I still have hedging plants to plant. The last spell of cold, plus this, have put me well behind.
    Me too, but with just as much snow as there was before, it'll be a day or two yet. This was yesterday afternoon:

But it's not too bad, and it'll all start to melt tomorrow.

I'm getting canny with hedging plants. I wait till they start doing 2 for 1 at the end of the season, then buy the smallest, line them out for a year, then plant the following winter.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 19th Mar 18, 9:02 PM
    • 24,386 Posts
    • 96,529 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Still not got into the garden. Still more horrid white stuff messing up my plans to do something nice with my limited free time.

Finally did the obligatory visit to a bereaved friend this weekend. I couldn't not, as I've put it off so many times, I really thought that I would be taking the p if I cancelled.

For my pains, I got stranded in the middle of nowhere near an estuary. It was so cold on the way to try and find a train going anywhere vaguely near home the next day (as everything had been cancelled, the station had been closed, etc, etc), that, despite wearing half of Millets', the moment I stepped outside, my fingers were in agony. It really, really hurt inside whilst the outsides were (underneath the fancy gloves) white like marble and I had absolutely no control or sensation. But the temperature was supposed to be -1C. Yeah, like that was in any way accurate - I have NEVER felt that cold or that pain before, despite being a fairly well neglected child who constantly had chilblains (and malnutrition. And bruises) because spending money on clothing (or food ) for the likes of me was far less appealing than spending it on herself.

And then I got stranded and watching a near riot at London Victoria.

Eventually got back to the home town, found out Himself had been nearly as well stranded and had stayed at a mate's overnight rather than risk waiting for night buses/tubes/more buses/then walking and, having had a slight episode on the one train that ran, made it as far as the pub.

Only a slight episode. Idiot woman refused to move herself or her precious case the size of a Victorian Terrace out of the way of the train doors, making it very possible that everybody in the carriage could have been trapped inside until it next stopped sixty miles away with no services back. She asked me what I'd do about it (or words to that effect).

I reassured her that I would be perfectly happy to hoy it out of the train and across the platform with a size 7 if she wanted, but I would really rather prefer it if she moved it and herself out of the way instead.

We all got off the train unencumbered.

When am I ever going to get a chance to place my compost delivery, never mind get it?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • lucielle
    • By lucielle 19th Mar 18, 9:29 PM
    • 8,007 Posts
    • 34,245 Thanks
    lucielle
    Whoop managed to land myself a job as sheep midwife for the duration of April!
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 20th Mar 18, 9:58 AM
    • 4,186 Posts
    • 8,710 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Whoop managed to land myself a job as sheep midwife for the duration of April!
    L
    Originally posted by lucielle
    More than most jobs, it's always good to keep your hand in

Windy, but warm today. Well, above freezing, which is the new definition of warm this spring.

I'm bracing myself to dealing with kids. No, actual children, to which I am highly allergic. There are dozens descending on the farm in the next few days, and I don't know why I have agreed. More stupid still, I have agreed to take place in a larger event elsewhere, hence having practice-brats here first.

I am relying on the goats to head-butt someone in the a55, or the a55e5...donkeys to kick someone in the head, then I might be deinvited.

I have no memory of agreeing to do all that. Alcohol or Alzheimer's: not sure which.

However, I will need fortifying with the former to get through the chaos and noise... hipflask required!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 21st Mar 18, 1:36 PM
    • 25,283 Posts
    • 93,001 Thanks
    Davesnave
    However, I will need fortifying with the former to get through the chaos and noise... hipflask required!
    Children are OK, honest!

I spent 35 years with them and survived. It took only about 6 months working with 'adults' to make me choose a career with kids.....

Anyway, just give them some beasts to pet and it'll be fine. They won't listen to a word you say anyway, if you're competing with anything vaguely cuddly-looking.

Mind you, I once made a serious error of judgement by taking some 9 year-olds to an arable farm......They were a nice bunch, but not much impressed with running grain through their fingers for the tactile experience.

The trip to the sewage works was enjoyed much more, if only because one child asked where the gift shop was and we spent some time discussing ideas for what it might contain if there had been!

I've agreed some new fishing, at least in principle. Haven't actually seen it yet, so I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas now!
    Last edited by Davesnave; 21-03-2018 at 1:41 PM.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 21st Mar 18, 3:55 PM
    • 4,186 Posts
    • 8,710 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    I am genuinely worried. We chose not to have children, which meant we tended to mix more with other childless folk, I actively avoided nieces and nephews, and the ones I taught in the past were generally around 20. I tend to avoid the noise if I can, and where I holiday, infants tend to be on the sparse side. Adults too, if I'm lucky!

It really is going to be an experience. Oh well, I'm sure Beelzebub can distract them and, if they touch him roughly, his mum will just kill them, so that'll work out well!

Still over a week to invent excuses/illnesses.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 21st Mar 18, 4:14 PM
    • 12,629 Posts
    • 220,244 Thanks
    greenbee
    How old are these children Dafty? There are bound to be some horrors, but most of them will probably be OK - as Dave says, they'll want to look at the cute fluffy animals. And some of them might even be interested enough to ask you questions.

You'll appreciate the silence when they've gone!
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 21st Mar 18, 6:45 PM
    • 5,645 Posts
    • 45,698 Thanks
    alfie 1
    I used to have "summer parties" for half the village junior school [when my nipper was one of them ! ]
    when they turned up for the afternoon, I used to line them up and say in my best "person in authority" voice....

YOU WILL NOT WHINGE AND WHINE
    YOU WILL NOT BULLY EACH OTHER
    IF YOU DO YOU WILL BE SAT ON THAT [pointing to far end of garden] BENCH TILL ITS TIME TO GO HOME !

seemed to work

I set up a sort of "its a knock out" style games ending with me putting the hose on full blast and jetting them
    parents were asked to bring a change of clothes
    and the kids got wise to the hose lark and started to get me first in the following years

had one little sh*t [actually a horrid teachers equally horrid son] who was a bully and pushed another into the brambles... so I pushed him in there ! he squeeled away but learnt his lesson... other kids thought hilarious as expected
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 21st Mar 18, 6:57 PM
    • 4,186 Posts
    • 8,710 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Alfie, can I borrow you ? You could bring a gorse bush up....

The ones descending on the farm are Primary age and first year after that. So, your guess is more educated than mine. Six to nine?

The second event expects five to eight thousand of the little pests. I may need a cattle-prod!

I may hide in the animal trailer. I know I can close it from the inside. The trouble only comes if someone then does up the hasps...
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 21st Mar 18, 7:00 PM
    • 12,629 Posts
    • 220,244 Thanks
    greenbee
    If it's after Easter, can I bring my niece and nephew? I need someone to entertain them for a bit
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,305Posts Today

7,916Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin