Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 24th Sep 14, 9:23 AM
    • 7,794Posts
    • 35,433Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    The One and Only Oktoberfest NSD Challenge!
    • 24th Sep 14, 9:23 AM
    The One and Only Oktoberfest NSD Challenge! 24th Sep 14 at 9:23 AM
    We are a happy (and some might say mildly insane) bunch doing battle with those retailers - and there’s plenty of temptation out there at the moment. We are seriously committed to saving money, but nobody said it can't be done with a smile on your face - so we organise riotous nights out and gatecrash any function going - all without leaving the comfort of our own imaginations or armchairs!

On a slightly more serious note, we are here to help each other avoid spending for the number of days we feel we can manage to try to take back some control over our hard-earned money. What you class as a "spend'" is entirely your choice; some people will try to shop on the days DD/SO etc are paid, whilst others will not include essentials such as rent. Have a look for a post from our sponsor (and godmother of this challenge) BigMummaF, this contains some guidelines and ideas for starting you off on the challenge.

It’s amazing how inventive you get when you’re determined NOT to spend - from weird menu ingredients to surprising DIY solutions - but you know what? 99% of the time those wacky ideas work.

Just remember that mentioning the F word (f-a-i-l!) is not allowed,and anyone who does will have a swift visit from Shawn the Shark!

If you're new to the forum,click here to read the Intro Guide.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

We're hoping to see lots of new faces this month,so don't be shy!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 14-10-2014 at 5:07 PM.
    NSD October 19/22
    Budgeting again in earnest,no excuses
    'Keep plodding,one day at a time'
    Savings: 911/2500chf
Page 1
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 24th Sep 14, 11:46 AM
    • 7,794 Posts
    • 35,433 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    • 24th Sep 14, 11:46 AM
    • 24th Sep 14, 11:46 AM
    So,here we are again!

September is drawing to a close and the nights are fair drawing in....

What we need is a bit of excitement,conviviality,good cheer and maybe a beer or three.The NSD gang are heading off to München to celebrate at the famed and you are all welcome!!!

Of course,there will also be non-alcohic beer on tap for anyone wishing to remain sober.I have been once to the Oktoberfest,all the way back in 1993! Goodness that's now over twenty years ago. We had a great time.Suprisingly,I remember quite a lot of it.

Here is a link to the official Oktoberfest website.

What of the prizes,I hear you ask?

Be prepared to be amazed!

1st target

2nd target

3rd target

4th target

Target exceeded

And finally,introducing a new,ab fab prize for those who don't quite reach target: a lovely cake as a consolation prize!

Thank you Igor,but I don't think that you're allowed to bring HM beer.That means that you'll need to get your wallet out of storage.Oh,and your lederhosen...are they still in one piece?I heard that you had to get them fumigated after last year's shenanigans. You might need to get a new pair;we don't want any nasty surprises now,do we? No,you can't wear Hubert's pair,sorry.You're not really the same shape.You don't really suit pink'n'sparkly anyway...And Hubert,please stay off
    the beer this time.That's if you're planning on wearing your roller skates.Remember last year's accident?No,maybe that's for the best then...
    Last edited by marmiterulesok; 28-10-2014 at 10:42 PM.
    NSD October 19/22
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 24th Sep 14, 12:49 PM
    • 7,794 Posts
    • 35,433 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    • 24th Sep 14, 12:49 PM
    • 24th Sep 14, 12:49 PM
    Some helpful suggestions and ideas to follow below from our sponsor and godmother, BigMummaF

NO SPEND CHALLENGE.

1. Have a good, long think about what YOU want to include in your Spend & Excluded categories.
    Some of us count everything from Direct Debits & school expenses, while others do not include things like essential Bills or emergency medical costs. If you plan what is or is not a Spend for you now, it will help you decide on a realistic Target.
    2. It is NOT a race!
    We all have very different demands on our time & bank balance, so please do not think you have to buy everything on 1st January & make it last till 31st December! A few of us have been following this Challenge for a long...long...LONG time so have developed plans & ploys to help us along the way
    3. Most important of all, WE..DO..NOT..FAIL!
    Sometimes we can't quite reach our Target, but that is fine Everyone knows how Life will try to trip us up, & that is when you will find us here to help you back on to your feet.

OK, an idea of how some of us do things.
    1. What you will or will not include as a 'Spend'.
    Some people are doing other challenges too, & don't include the money spent on those for this one.
    Some will try to shop for other bits on the days their direct debits etc go out of their bank accounts; they're the real hard core of the bunch & have been l-o-n-g time NSDers so don't panic
    Some won't count those annoying last minute demands from school & collections as you can't plan for them in advance, likewise emergency prescriptions or visits to the vet
    Personally speaking & providing I don't buy anything else, I don't count parking for hospital appointments.(..but then I usually do my shopping because I'm already out )
    General thoughts on €bay sales is the buyer has paid P&P so no cost to you
    2. It takes Time to reach mega-numbers!
    The First suggestion is the first, because a bit of planning will work wonders on your road to your Target. Have a look at thefirst posts each month for a hefty list of other threads that may be of help. For example, there's a few giving ideas for packed lunches so you can avoid standing in the queue at the bakers for 45mins of your lunch hour! A good incentive to tweak your healthy eating & the pounds you save will show in your bank balance AND your waistline
    It helps to have various 'money pots' for the different costs that happen like Scouts, dinner money, yoga, window cleaner etc etc. The idea is you "spend" all that money in one hit by....
    let's say **putting the week's bus fares into the pretty coffee jar, Jo's tumble tots [Weds mornings] in the cracked teapot & Ben's £1 coin for the gym locker [Friday lunch] in the pocket of the changing bag, on Tuesdays every week when you've got some change from doing the food shop, so an already spendy day. At least four 'spending days' condensed into one (**mine's jam jars for windows, milkman & a bit towards the bills!)
    3. Any day the money stays in your pocket is a bonus!
    If you look at it as a day you beat the system, you can't help but so don't fret it--ENJOY! If nothing else in here, we do manage find something to make us smile

We have virtual outings to wonderful places that never cost us a bean New York, Edinburgh & Brighton have been a couple & nargle usually pilots the Tardis but you can use your own transport; my personal favourite has been a sit-on lawn mower borrowed from the cricket club The only thing to be aware of is Hubert the donkey who is partial to anything remotely edible but is not yet house-trained

And Remember;
    there are no silly questions, so don't be afraid to ask us anything!
    NSD October 19/22
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 24th Sep 14, 12:50 PM
    • 7,794 Posts
    • 35,433 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    • 24th Sep 14, 12:50 PM
    The Challengers:
    • 24th Sep 14, 12:50 PM
    Post your target and I'll add you to the list.

marmiterulesok 10/10 [B][COLOR="Purple"]achieved![B][B] 2nd target[B]15/15 achieved! Target exceeded17/15achieved!

Knit Witch 10/10 achieved! 2nd target 15/15 achieved! 3rd target 20/20 achieved! 4th target 25/25 achieved! Target exceeded! 29/25 achieved!

Vicky496 4/7

lindor 10/10 achieved!

ott09 4/10

fedupandskint 25/25 achieved! Target exceeded 28/25 achieved!

Nargleblast 15/15 achieved! Target exceeded 16/15

kathy40uk 14/15

Munchin 3/10

t2rry 19/20

financially exposed 0/10

Learning2Budget12/12achieved! 2nd target 15/15 achieved! Target exceeded18/15 achieved!

belleandthebudget 0/10

gothrockchic1 8/12

black cat 10/10 achieved! 2nd target 15/15 achieved! 3rd target 18/18 achieved! Target exceeded [COLOR="Red"]20/18achieved!/COLOR]

kxc798 1/15

Penguins86 9/12

worriedpenguin 10/10 achieved! 2nd target 11/15

tatabubbly 5/12

donna dynamo 10/10 achieved! 2nd target 15/15 achieved! 3rd target 19/22

Ever The Optimist 8/10

Aloofdragon15/15 achieved!

rockm87 4/10

stripeyjumpergirl 5/12

Sundaysgirl10/10 achieved! 2nd target 16/15

LINKYPIE2009 0/5

cuddlymarm 0/15

butterfly2507 10/10 achieved! 2nd target15/15 achieved! 3rd target 22/22 achieved!

bizzybee 15/15 achieved!

Nintud 4/10

iloveshopping93 8/10

mobo1980 10/15

purple.sarah 1/10

georgiebrown0 0/12

slowlyfading 18/18 achieved! Target exceeded! 19/18 achieved!

kerri gt 15/15

DeafLeopard 10/10 achieved! 2nd target 13/15

StressedSteph 1/20

Butti 6/10

Buffythedebtslayer 8/10

jaxsmar 19/18

Aphidgirl9/10

suziebabe 15/15 achieved!

Caterina 10/10

Saver-upper12/12
    achieved! Target exceeded14/12 achieved!
    Last edited by marmiterulesok; 02-11-2014 at 9:29 AM.
    NSD October 19/22
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 24th Sep 14, 12:51 PM
    • 7,794 Posts
    • 35,433 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    • 24th Sep 14, 12:51 PM
    The In-A-Row Challenge!
    • 24th Sep 14, 12:51 PM
    If you want to do an 'in a row' challenge,let me know and I'll add your name here.Here is your wunderbar prize

marmiterulesok 4 in a row achieved!

Knit Witch 5 in a row achieved! 23 in a row achieved! you deserve two!

gothrockchic1 3 in a row

purple.sarah 3 in a row

DeafLeopard 3 in a row

suziebabe 3 in a row

Learning2Budget 4 in a row achieved!
    Last edited by marmiterulesok; 24-10-2014 at 8:45 AM.
    NSD October 19/22
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 24th Sep 14, 12:59 PM
    • 7,794 Posts
    • 35,433 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    • 24th Sep 14, 12:59 PM
    • 24th Sep 14, 12:59 PM
    Here is a link to the September thread.
    NSD October 19/22
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 24th Sep 14, 3:17 PM
    • 3,607 Posts
    • 32,916 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    • 24th Sep 14, 3:17 PM
    • 24th Sep 14, 3:17 PM
    Starting with my usual 10 please Marmite and 5 in a row (and I am planning on going "Sober for October" so having these prizes could be hard )
    Must use my stash up!
    • Vicky496
    • By Vicky496 24th Sep 14, 8:37 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    Vicky496
    • 24th Sep 14, 8:37 PM
    • 24th Sep 14, 8:37 PM
    I think I did at least 7 this last month, but I wasn't counting properly... wish I had!

So I'm joining the challenge properly this month with an initial target of 7!
    • lindor
    • By lindor 24th Sep 14, 8:40 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    lindor
    • 24th Sep 14, 8:40 PM
    • 24th Sep 14, 8:40 PM
    Hi all,

I'd like to go for 10 nsds again. What with the temptations of the Oktoberfest and half term I think that's the best I can manage. I could do with a new dirndl too, as the old one is feeling a tad snug...and that won't be cheap either
    • ott09
    • By ott09 24th Sep 14, 9:06 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    ott09
    Could I join please? 10 NSDs for me to start
    • fedupandskint
    • By fedupandskint 24th Sep 14, 9:07 PM
    • 10,351 Posts
    • 97,525 Thanks
    fedupandskint
    Here I go with an attempt at 25 NSD for October, let's see if I can hit this target!
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 24th Sep 14, 9:40 PM
    • 9,246 Posts
    • 59,381 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Guten Tag meine Damen und Herren und wilkommen zum Oktoberfest! (Hopefully that is grammatically correct-ish).

Get yer lederhosen polished and strike up the Oompah, it's time to celebrate with a few virtual beers and plenty of sausage. And for starters, Meistress marmite, put me down for 15 NSDs!

(Not now, Igor, get back to the September thread and get on with organising the school prom!)
    One life - your life - live it!

NSD challenge November 8/15
    • kathy40uk
    • By kathy40uk 25th Sep 14, 12:01 AM
    • 852 Posts
    • 6,084 Thanks
    kathy40uk
    Hi all in October thread

I have a few things on in October including cat's needing their boosters but I think If I plan carefully I can do my 15 so please put me down for that for October

See you all next month

DFD January 2019
    NSD Jan 16/19 NSD Feb 16/14 NSD March 17/16
    NSD April 17/13 NSD May 16/0
    100 day Challenge no 18: £200. Paid £20.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 25th Sep 14, 5:15 AM
    • 2,440 Posts
    • 7,561 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi all,

I would like to go with 10 NSDs in Oct
    • t2rry
    • By t2rry 25th Sep 14, 8:01 AM
    • 901 Posts
    • 1,699 Thanks
    t2rry
    20 again for me please Marmite
    Credit Card #1 was £8,576 now £6,368.57*
    OH Credit Card was £3,345 now £2,970
    Credit Card #2 was £6,900 now £6,300

* 0% ends 31/03/17 paid £0/£2500
  • financially exposed
    And 10 NSDs for me. First timer here, please be gentle :-)
    CC debt at 0%: £7540
    CC debt paid off: £297

• Learning2Budget
    • By Learning2Budget 25th Sep 14, 2:01 PM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 4,937 Thanks
    Learning2Budget
    12 NSD for me please.x
    LBM 2008 £45,091.23 eek: now £7889 Debt free date 18/07/2018
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 25th Sep 14, 2:10 PM
    • 7,794 Posts
    • 35,433 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    I think I did at least 7 this last month, but I wasn't counting properly... wish I had!

So I'm joining the challenge properly this month with an initial target of 7!
    Originally posted by Vicky496
    Could I join please? 10 NSDs for me to start
    Originally posted by ott09
    And 10 NSDs for me. First timer here, please be gentle :-)
    Originally posted by financially exposed
    A big,big welcome to all of you and to the regulars!

I hope that you enjoy the challenge.Ask away if you have any questions....and let me just rush off to find you a mug and a chair.You might have to squeeze up on the sofa,but you're always assured a warm welcome at campaign HQ aka Ennessdee Towers/Château Nargle.
    We have a trusty chef Igor (equipped with a fiery temper and owner of some very sharp knives,so best not to offend him),and a trusting sidekick in the form of Hubert the donkey.Please don't shout at Hubert,when he inevitably gets it wrong - he might leave a puddle.
    NSD October 19/22
  • financially exposed
    I hope that you enjoy the challenge.Ask away if you have any questions....and let me just rush off to find you a mug and a chair.
    Originally posted by marmiterulesok
    Thank you! How do you keep track of things, do you mark your calendar? Make a list of dates? My NSD will include everything except direct debits (that shouldn't be an issue as most of them are on the 1st, one on the 4th and one on the 17th).
    CC debt at 0%: £7540
    CC debt paid off: £297

• marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 25th Sep 14, 3:08 PM
    • 7,794 Posts
    • 35,433 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    Thank you! How do you keep track of things, do you mark your calendar? Make a list of dates? My NSD will include everything except direct debits (that shouldn't be an issue as most of them are on the 1st, one on the 4th and one on the 17th).
    Originally posted by financially exposed
    I usually am able to plan in advance what days of the week are going to be nsds.

I also check the whole month to see how many weeks there are,as usually I will allow myself 2-3 spendy days a week.So,for October I plan to have 4 nsds the first week (week of 5 days),then a maximum of 3 spendy days for the other full weeks,and then 3 nsds for the last week (again 5 days).For the full weeks,I could easily get 5 or even 6 nsds,depending on how I plan my shopping.I hope that that all makes sense.
    When I have bagged an nsd,I usually mark it on the calendar,and then highlight it.I usually aim for 19 nsds a month.
    I also have allowed spends,as do many other nsders.
    This challenge,for me,is mainly to avoid impulse buying.
    Allowed spends for me are:
    -all bills
    -prescriptions
    -travel.I have a travelcard,and don't count train journeys,as they are essential.
    -swimming (subscription)
    -fresh fruit,fresh veg and bottled water.

It might sound like a lot,but it's what works for me.

Some people don't count petrol,milk,bread....It's really up to you.

Does that make it any clearer?

If you haven't read it,have a look at post #3.
    NSD October 19/22
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,143Posts Today

6,734Users online

Martin's Twitter