Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Sam M
    • By Former MSE Sam M 23rd Sep 14, 9:39 AM
    • 238Posts
    • 159Thanks
    Former MSE Sam M
    MoneySaving Poll: Should Ofcom prevent firms giving 'retention' offers?
    • 23rd Sep 14, 9:39 AM
    MoneySaving Poll: Should Ofcom prevent firms giving 'retention' offers? 23rd Sep 14 at 9:39 AM
    Poll started 23 September 2014

Should Ofcom prevent broadband & mobile firms from cutting their price to keep you when you ask to leave?

The communications regulator is investigating digital TV, broadband, landline and mobile phone ‘retention’ offers - those where when you ask to leave they try and cut prices to persuade you to stay.

It believes this could be harmful to consumers in the longer term as new providers find it hard to compete for business, therefore reducing choice and meaning only decent hagglers get the better deals. Please choose the option CLOSEST to your views.

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Sam M; 23-09-2014 at 9:48 AM.
Page 1
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 23rd Sep 14, 2:33 PM
    • 40,401 Posts
    • 311,918 Thanks
    mjm3346
    • 23rd Sep 14, 2:33 PM
    • 23rd Sep 14, 2:33 PM
    Far bigger savings to be had by making it a requirement for "new customer" deals to be made available to all existing customers.
    Last edited by mjm3346; 24-09-2014 at 12:24 AM.
    • WestonDave
    • By WestonDave 23rd Sep 14, 2:49 PM
    • 5,038 Posts
    • 8,521 Thanks
    WestonDave
    • 23rd Sep 14, 2:49 PM
    • 23rd Sep 14, 2:49 PM
    Personally I would prefer to go the other way and outlaw companies offering better deals to new customers. It would save us all a lot of time and effort if the renewal deal we were offered was the most competitive they were prepared to offer rather than what they hope we will be mug enough to allow it to roll over for!
    Adventure before Dementia!
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 24th Sep 14, 7:10 AM
    • 5,593 Posts
    • 2,487 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 24th Sep 14, 7:10 AM
    • 24th Sep 14, 7:10 AM
    Nightmare scenario! As a customer on a Market 1 exchange my costs would go thru the roof - I've currently negotiated a deal (not much haggling required!) which gives me unlimited adsl bband & evenings and weekend calls for ~ 6.50 pm -should be 16.99 without evening calls! Add in advance line rental which "saves" me ~ 50 per year and overall I estimate that I could be paying ~ 270 per year more!!!!
    Add in any discount that I can grab from Sky TV and you are looking at 500+ per annum increase
    Does anybody really believe that the likes of Sky,TalkTalk,BT would REDUCE their prices?? And who is going to come into the market for digital TV anyway?? Far too capital intensive - Virgin won't even extend their existing network in any meaningful way!
    Last edited by brewerdave; 24-09-2014 at 7:13 AM.
    • canub
    • By canub 24th Sep 14, 9:58 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    canub
    • 24th Sep 14, 9:58 AM
    Telco Free World
    • 24th Sep 14, 9:58 AM
    Telcos have been virtually eliminated from villages in North Lancashire as we have built our own hyperfast fibre network with 1GB to the premises.Most computers etc running at 700mgb upload and download simultaneously.
    • potbelly
    • By potbelly 24th Sep 14, 10:23 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    potbelly
    • 24th Sep 14, 10:23 AM
    Retention has got to be better all round
    • 24th Sep 14, 10:23 AM
    Far bigger savings to be had by making it a requirement for "new customer" deals to be made available to all existing customers.
    Originally posted by mjm3346
    I agree completely. If the deals were available to ALL customers, retaining existing customers would be better all round. Less paperwork for the supplier as it may only involve a change of payment amount. Better for the customer as less likely to have to change supplier to get a good deal.
    At the moment I change gas, electric, phone, broadband suppliers every year, simply to get the NEW customer deals, and many of these deals will have a Cashback bonus as well. I find this easier than haggling, especially now 'switching' procedures have been improved.
    Bye for now,
    Paul

What colour is YOUR parachute?
    • sinizterguy
    • By sinizterguy 24th Sep 14, 10:28 AM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 896 Thanks
    sinizterguy
    • 24th Sep 14, 10:28 AM
    • 24th Sep 14, 10:28 AM
    Why the bleeding !!!! would you want to stop retention offers ?

This how businesses work, try to keep current customers and get new ones while keeping up with their costs.

More nanny state madness.
  • skirkpatrick
    • 26th Sep 14, 3:32 PM
    • 26th Sep 14, 3:32 PM
    Retention offers simply make me - as a customer - feel exploited. If I decide to say nothing, the provider will just take my extra money that they'd happily forego if I asked them to. It just feels wrong and I feel I'm being overcharged for a service simply because the provider feels like it.

I also think it's a bizarre about-face approach that new customers tend to get better offers/rates than existing/loyal customers. But it very much seems like the norm.
    • simax
    • By simax 14th Oct 14, 12:09 AM
    • 1,783 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    simax
    • 14th Oct 14, 12:09 AM
    • 14th Oct 14, 12:09 AM
    If a company charges xx for a product, and advertises as such, then offer it to someone at xx-10 because they threatened to leave?

If you don't like the price you pay, leave. Simple as that. Hagglers put the prices up for everyone else.
    I say it as it is - you may not like that but what would you prefer? A string of false platitudes that are no help whatsoever just to make you feel better? If my advice has helped, please press the Thanks button over here ----------------V. Cheers
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

178Posts Today

1,855Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin