Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    tates1979
    Valuation - "Damp Proof Course is Bridged" - What to do?
    • 18th Jul 07, 12:47 PM
    Valuation - "Damp Proof Course is Bridged" - What to do? 18th Jul 07 at 12:47 PM
    Hi all,

OH and I have sale agreed on a house, built round 2000 - semi detached.

We have got our valuation survey back from Halifax's valuers, who state:

"The damp proof course is bridged and may not be fully effective"

The current owners have laid down lovely brick paving over the back garden as they said their boys like to play football on it! I take it this is probably what has "bridged" the DPC within the required 6"?

If so - what steps do we take - do we haggle over price or ask current owners to sort it out before completion?

Thanks in advance!!
Page 1
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 18th Jul 07, 1:03 PM
    • 37,218 Posts
    • 156,809 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 18th Jul 07, 1:03 PM
    • 18th Jul 07, 1:03 PM
    Every house we have bought have said the patio/ driveway is too high!

The problem is that it will cost too much to lower the whole patio and so people are reluctant to do so.

If there have been no damp readings on the internal wall, I doubt the seller will be prepared to do anything about it.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 18th Jul 07, 1:29 PM
    • 25,001 Posts
    • 68,480 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 18th Jul 07, 1:29 PM
    • 18th Jul 07, 1:29 PM
    You don't have to remove the whole thing. At least it's block-paved.

You should bring it back away from the wall, neaten it off properly with raised edging bricks, but still make sure there is still a decent gap between them and the wall. The you make sure the DPC isn't being breached and cover the mess behind with gravel to keep it neat. Obviously the gravel doesn't want to breach the DPC either.

It won't cost a fortune to do but the block paving company should probably do it if you want it to look half decent.
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 18-07-2007 at 1:32 PM.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 18th Jul 07, 1:40 PM
    • 37,218 Posts
    • 156,809 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 18th Jul 07, 1:40 PM
    • 18th Jul 07, 1:40 PM
    There must be some safety margin in this 6 inch rule, especially if the patio slopes away from the house. We have not had damp readings in any of our previous houses, yet they were all apparently built too high.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 18th Jul 07, 1:57 PM
    • 25,001 Posts
    • 68,480 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 18th Jul 07, 1:57 PM
    • 18th Jul 07, 1:57 PM
    Well common sense tells you that if there is nothing actually breaching the DPC itself then it should work.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

591Posts Today

5,464Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin