Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shadowdogg
    • By shadowdogg 22nd Aug 14, 9:10 AM
    • 46Posts
    • 11Thanks
    shadowdogg
    amazon credit card closing down
    • 22nd Aug 14, 9:10 AM
    amazon credit card closing down 22nd Aug 14 at 9:10 AM
    I am wondering if there is any other good cashback offers? Asda seems to be one of the best, the MSE credit card cashback page doesn't even mention it. Probably couldn't get an affiliate link.

My favourite type of card
    * 1 % cashback
    * No annual fee
    * Mastercard / Visa
    * Quarterly or Half a year payment - annual payment is LONG

Cheers.

Official MoneySavingExpert insert:

See the Amazon credit card customer? You can't earn loyalty points from October MSE News story for more information.
    Last edited by Former MSE Paloma; 28-08-2014 at 5:01 PM.
Page 1
    • bsms1147
    • By bsms1147 22nd Aug 14, 9:32 AM
    • 1,973 Posts
    • 3,540 Thanks
    bsms1147
    • 22nd Aug 14, 9:32 AM
    • 22nd Aug 14, 9:32 AM
    Where have you found out it's closing down?
    • shadowdogg
    • By shadowdogg 22nd Aug 14, 9:34 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    shadowdogg
    • 22nd Aug 14, 9:34 AM
    • 22nd Aug 14, 9:34 AM
    Where have you found out it's closing down?
    Originally posted by bsms1147
    Got a letter, 30th September is the last day before it reverts to a simple MBNA
    • wiseonesomeofthetime
    • By wiseonesomeofthetime 22nd Aug 14, 9:37 AM
    • 172 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    wiseonesomeofthetime
    • 22nd Aug 14, 9:37 AM
    Bank of America and Amazon.co.uk relationship ending
    • 22nd Aug 14, 9:37 AM
    I have received the same letter this morning.

The relationship between Bank of America and Amazon.co.uk is coming to an end.

Purchases up to 30 Sep 2014 will continue to receive loyalty points. Anything after that - nothing.

New cards are being sent out with new 16-digit card number, expiry date, and security code.

Any outstanding loyalty points will be emailed to the consumer after 30/9/14.

I shall then be closing my account and also seeking an alternative loyalty card.
    • shadowdogg
    • By shadowdogg 22nd Aug 14, 9:40 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    shadowdogg
    • 22nd Aug 14, 9:40 AM
    • 22nd Aug 14, 9:40 AM
    I shall then be closing my account and also seeking an alternative loyalty card.
    Originally posted by wiseonesomeofthetime
    So back to my original question: what is the next best? I loved how quickly I got 10 gift certificates...
    • wiseonesomeofthetime
    • By wiseonesomeofthetime 22nd Aug 14, 9:51 AM
    • 172 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    wiseonesomeofthetime
    • 22nd Aug 14, 9:51 AM
    • 22nd Aug 14, 9:51 AM
    So back to my original question: what is the next best? I loved how quickly I got 10 gift certificates...
    Originally posted by shadowdogg

Me too.

Any decent 'available' cashback cards destroy their appeal with annual fees, e.g. Santander 123 Credit Card. Though if you are a 123 account holder anyway, they waive that for first twelve months, just ditch and switch before fee applies.

I have held the 3% Aqua and 4% Luma in the past, however, these are not available to new customers.

I think the market is pretty flat at the moment for giving the consumer a decent return for spend.

It can be hard work and concentration just to eek 100 out over the year. Even then, making 9 per month, as I do with the Luma, can be undone by eating out for lunch just once!

Good luck in your quest.

I shall watch this thread with interest.

• bsms1147
    • By bsms1147 22nd Aug 14, 9:54 AM
    • 1,973 Posts
    • 3,540 Thanks
    bsms1147
    • 22nd Aug 14, 9:54 AM
    • 22nd Aug 14, 9:54 AM
    I shall watch this thread with interest.
    Originally posted by wiseonesomeofthetime
    How much interest and do you provide cashback cards?
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 22nd Aug 14, 10:22 AM
    • 7,611 Posts
    • 5,016 Thanks
    Biggles
    • 22nd Aug 14, 10:22 AM
    • 22nd Aug 14, 10:22 AM
    I assume Amazon will want to form a relationship with another card provider but there seems to be nothing on their website so far.
  • flutterby_lil
    • 22nd Aug 14, 10:27 AM
    • 22nd Aug 14, 10:27 AM
    I have the asda cash back card and also the amazon.....haven't had my amazon letter yet! Do we have to pay the balance off immediately?
    • geriatrix1
    • By geriatrix1 22nd Aug 14, 10:49 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    geriatrix1
    Bad news indeed. I had my Amazon card ready to take over from my Barclaycard when they reduced the cashback rates. Have to start looking around again soon.
    • Mr Goodkat
    • By Mr Goodkat 22nd Aug 14, 11:20 AM
    • 432 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    Mr Goodkat
    Not much out there in terms of alternatives at the moment, Cap One Aspire Business Credit card offers 5% for three months but then goes down to 0.5%.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 22nd Aug 14, 11:48 AM
    • 1,656 Posts
    • 1,159 Thanks
    dj1471
    Oh no... Haven't had the letter but knew this was coming, since they stopped offering it to new customers and launched an Amex.

The best straightforward deals seem to be the supermarket linked ones where you get 1% at the supermarket and 0.5% everywhere else
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 22nd Aug 14, 11:51 AM
    • 1,453 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    Roger1
    lastminute.com MasterCard?
    One possibility for a cash equivalent is the lastminute.com MasterCard.
    http://creditcard.lastminute.com/

Cash it aint, but it offers 1% on general spend and 2% on lastminute.com spend in the form of lastminute.com vouchers. Effectively 15 bonus for spending 250 within 90 days. Fine if you are happy to spend on travel or experiences.

Be aware that lastminute.com charges a credit card fee for purchases.
    • SuperHan
    • By SuperHan 22nd Aug 14, 11:59 AM
    • 2,160 Posts
    • 1,301 Thanks
    SuperHan
    Oh no... Haven't had the letter but knew this was coming, since they stopped offering it to new customers and launched an Amex.
    Originally posted by dj1471

What is the Amex they have launched? I can't see it anywhere on the Amazon site.
    • OverlandLandy
    • By OverlandLandy 22nd Aug 14, 12:10 PM
    • 441 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    OverlandLandy
    Bad news indeed. I had my Amazon card ready to take over from my Barclaycard when they reduced the cashback rates. Have to start looking around again soon.
    Originally posted by geriatrix1

Ditto.. I'm in exactly the same position... Have already reduced my spending on Barclay Card significantly and I have been earning Amazon Vouchers... OH WELL... Back on the hunt for a Brclaycard AND an Amazon replacement now...

My letter arrived today.. says very little... not selling on the MBNA card TBH!!
    I am NOT a Woman! - its Overland Landy (as in A Landrover that travels Overland):rolleyes:

Better to be approximately right than precisely wrong.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 22nd Aug 14, 12:14 PM
    • 1,656 Posts
    • 1,159 Thanks
    dj1471
    What is the Amex they have launched? I can't see it anywhere on the Amazon site.
    Originally posted by SuperHan
    Hmm, can't find it now. Sure I saw it advertised a while ago, maybe they were just advertising a random Amex or the fact that you can spend the Amex points at Amazon...
    • Abrielle
    • By Abrielle 22nd Aug 14, 12:15 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Abrielle
    I have received the letter from Amazon this morning too.
    I shall be looking for an alternative but do not want a supermarket loyalty card. Neither do I want one where a certain amount of money has to be deposited monthly, eg 123.
    I buy quite a lot of things from Amazon and have also used my card for miscellaneous small items of shopping. The 10 reward voucher may not be much but came in quite handy. I have always paid in full each month so it's been a cheap and convenient method of credit.
    If anyone has a suggestion for a suitable alternative, which can be used anywhere, I would be glad to know.
    • King Of Fools
    • By King Of Fools 22nd Aug 14, 12:22 PM
    • 1,551 Posts
    • 599 Thanks
    King Of Fools
    I have other cards which offer 1% or thereabouts but what I will really miss is the 2% on Amazon purchases.
  • bunny71
    I got the letter this morning too. But, a quick google - and there's some hope! :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/cobrandcard/marketing.html

Thank you for your interest in Amazon.co.uk Credit products. This page is currently being updated. We appreciate your patience. Please return later to apply for your Amazon Credit product. Thank you.

I'll wait and see what new credit card Amazon is offering before looking elsewhere I think. Will definitely be ditching the basic MBNA card though!
    Last edited by bunny71; 22-08-2014 at 12:32 PM.
    • Flat Eric
    • By Flat Eric 22nd Aug 14, 12:30 PM
    • 3,985 Posts
    • 24,039 Thanks
    Flat Eric
    I signed up for the Barclays Freedom Rewards card earlier in the year which is a points means prizes card.

I've managed to save up enough points for a 50 voucher - if I want an amazon voucher it will cost me more points so it may be I will be boring and opt for a high street shop voucher which costs less. I don't understand why amazon vouchers cost more but at least I have the option.
    Last edited by Flat Eric; 22-08-2014 at 12:46 PM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,330Posts Today

6,129Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The maths is wrong. Even if MPs weren't given a penny by the state in salary or expenses, it'd save a trivial count? https://t.co/Kgskcjd6eG

• What an utterly depressing watch this is. I think the MP handles it as well as possible. Good on him for not just t? https://t.co/LrSY56HbPA

• RT @Caitch22: @MartinSLewis Maybe the cheap housing, final salary scheme generation that want to tax the young should pay for their own car?

• Follow Martin