Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 21st Aug 14, 5:59 PM
    • 16,031Posts
    • 77,877Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    Cheap recipes - free downloadable books
    • 21st Aug 14, 5:59 PM
    Cheap recipes - free downloadable books 21st Aug 14 at 5:59 PM
    This was posted by Greying Pilgrim on the Grocery Challenge thread but I think it deserves a wider audience
    Thank you Greying Pilgrim

Hey Grocery Challengers!

Sorry you don't *know* me - I'm not currently doing the challenge - but I wanted to pass on some information/recipes that I've come across, regarding recipes for tight budgets.

Some of you may know that in the US, folks are issued 'food stamps' - although the program has now been renamed 'SNAP'. Anyhow, it only equates to about $4 per person perday for food - not a lot huh? So a gal - called Leanne Brown - who was doing a masters degree in food nutrition, noticed that folks on this program ate a lot of carbs to fill up. So she got practical, and devised a cookbook to make meals that were within the budget of $4 per day. Her efforts were warmly welcomed in the US, and she has sought to make it available to folk, so the PDF version of her book, called 'Good and Cheap' is free and you can find it HEREand she has also done another book called 'From Scratch' which you can find, for free, HERE. If you would like to find out more about Leanne, have a look HERE

I know you don't 'know' me, but the links are legit - and Leanne wants people to cook the meals and share the info. So if you, or someone you know, could use these recipes, then share them around. In the US, you can buy a print version of the book, and/or choose to donate $5 so that a print version could be given to a person in need. Pretty much like people bought version of Jack Monroe's book to give to Foodbanks.

Hope this helps someone - there are meat and veggie recipes, and I shall certainly be giving some of the veggie ones a go

Greying
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim

Page 1
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 21st Aug 14, 7:04 PM
    • 4,633 Posts
    • 52,101 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    • 21st Aug 14, 7:04 PM
    • 21st Aug 14, 7:04 PM
    Thanks upsidedown bear - there are some really good, cost effective recipes in those PDF books, well worth viewing/downloading. I certainly hope that someone is helped by them.

Greying
    'Larger than the World's chaos, is it's miracles...' - Katherine Rundell, Author.

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 22nd Aug 14, 8:16 PM
    • 16,031 Posts
    • 77,877 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    • 22nd Aug 14, 8:16 PM
    • 22nd Aug 14, 8:16 PM
    Bumping this in case you missed it

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 22nd Aug 14, 8:22 PM
    • 67,217 Posts
    • 394,089 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 22nd Aug 14, 8:22 PM
    • 22nd Aug 14, 8:22 PM
    $4/day .... it'd be like Xmas every day!!
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 23rd Aug 14, 6:49 AM
    • 4,633 Posts
    • 52,101 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    • 23rd Aug 14, 6:49 AM
    • 23rd Aug 14, 6:49 AM
    Good morning

Just made breakfast from Good and Cheap (pg 18) as I needed to use up a well travelled banana Sorry about the picture quality, p'buket not playing ball today

The recipe was super simple - I only made half measure - and it yielded 8 and a 'half' pancakes. I used the 1/4 cup measure to spoon the mix into the frying pan.

If you're put off making them as you've no cup measures, then find a converter HERE

The blackberries were 'free' (foraged) so meet the OS criteria

Greying
    'Larger than the World's chaos, is it's miracles...' - Katherine Rundell, Author.

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Teg-Rem
    • By Teg-Rem 25th Aug 14, 3:26 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    Teg-Rem
    • 25th Aug 14, 3:26 PM
    • 25th Aug 14, 3:26 PM
    my computer won't let me have any of those pages, just goes to a blank page, any ideas how I might be otherwise able to get them??
    • Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 25th Aug 14, 3:30 PM
    • 16,031 Posts
    • 77,877 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    • 25th Aug 14, 3:30 PM
    • 25th Aug 14, 3:30 PM
    my computer won't let me have any of those pages, just goes to a blank page, any ideas how I might be otherwise able to get them??
    Originally posted by Teg-Rem
    Can you open other PDF files?
    It's opening fine for me.

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 25th Aug 14, 4:06 PM
    • 4,633 Posts
    • 52,101 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    • 25th Aug 14, 4:06 PM
    • 25th Aug 14, 4:06 PM
    Originally posted by Teg-Rem
    Teg-Rem - are you giving it a little time load up? It does initially go to a blank white page - the link tab says 'waiting for.....' and the legend tab will say 'blank page' if you give it a few seconds, it loads up the books.

Please let us know whether you have had success, I have just retried the link and they work.

However, you can go to Leanne's website HERE and the PDF files are sitting on there too.

HTH - let us know!

Cheers for reading and enquiring

Greying
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 25-08-2014 at 6:09 PM.

• Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 27th Aug 14, 6:27 PM
    • 16,031 Posts
    • 77,877 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    • 27th Aug 14, 6:27 PM
    • 27th Aug 14, 6:27 PM
    Another bump

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 31st Aug 14, 5:49 PM
    • 4,633 Posts
    • 52,101 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening,

I just thought that I would share make #2 from the 'Good and Cheap' recipe book (pg 156) - 'Peach Coffee cake' - which I know that you will know is cake made to go with coffee, and not cake that has coffee as an ingredient

This is only a 'half' recipe mix and I made it in a 2lb loaf tin. I hadn't got any peaches, but dropped on some YS'd plums - 1kg for 55p, so used them instead I think that there are 4 plums cut up in the cake. Haven't actually tried it yet, but it smells nice

Hopefully the next trial will be of a savoury dish........

Greying

• boredjellybean
    • By boredjellybean 1st Sep 14, 6:55 AM
    • 558 Posts
    • 1,091 Thanks
    boredjellybean
    ooh thanks for the links - some lovely ideas in there, I can't wait to make the pb & j granola bars for the kidaroos
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 1st Sep 14, 6:29 PM
    • 4,633 Posts
    • 52,101 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Hi

Had a bash at another recipe from 'Good and Cheap' - the Pasta with Aubergine (eggplant) and tomato on pg 90

I've cooked a lot of pasta dishes over the years, but I've never cooked 'pasta a la Norma' (that this dish is supposed to be based on). I did however think it very similar to JamieO's 'Stracci' pasta dish.

Verdict? Good, would make again, if I had the ingredients.

Just for interest, and in case you are put off the ingredient quantities being given in US measurements - 1/2 lb of pasta equates to about 230g - which I thought was a little generous for 2 people, so I only used 200g of rigatoni - which was plenty. 2 cups of tomatoes equates to about 1 tin of chopped tomatoes - I measured out a tin and 1/4 of a cup of parmesan/gran padano works out at about 15g (loosely packed) which again, I thought was plenty.

I decided to add a side serving of broccoli, as I needed something green It is mrM 'savers' frozen broccoli - ok, teeny bit tough..... the rigatoni was from mrS - 2 x 500g packs for 1.50 so 75p a pack and 30p for tonight's serving. The aubergine was from Ald* 45p, the tinned toms from mrM 31p and the 'hard cheese' mrS basics at 2.50 a block or approx. 20p for tonight's serving. So about 1.50 (max - and with added broccoli ) for 2 servings.

Greying

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 3rd Sep 14, 7:38 PM
    • 4,633 Posts
    • 52,101 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Hiya

Had a bash at the Channa Masala (chickpea masala) recipe from Good and Cheap (pg 93) for our dinner this evening.

If you think you would like a bash at it, but the US measurements put you off, a cup of cooked chickpeas is approximately 150g, so 2.5 cups is about 375g, which is (I think) about one and a half drained tins of chickpeas (the 400g tins usually contain about 240g of chickpeas when they are drained). The only other thing about this recipe that I regretted was putting in the smoked paprika - I don't think that it worked at all........ if you would have to buy the smoked paprika to make this recipe, then I'd say don't bother, you'll have a nice dish, without having wasted 80p (mrM/mrA) on a jar of spice. I go0gled channa masala recipes and no other version had smoked paprika in it, so I don't think it needs it. 1 cup of chopped tomatoes would be about half a 400g tin - but I used 200ml of passata instead, because I had some.

As you can see, we had a frugal curry tea The runner beans were gifted, and I made up a sort of korma sauce, using the korma paste recipe from Mr J Oliver, the 'fake' naan breads are Mr J Oliver's recipe for Piadina (minus the fillings! ) with some black onion/nigella seeds tossed in. Cheaper than a take out

Greying

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 4th Sep 14, 8:06 PM
    • 4,633 Posts
    • 52,101 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Ay up lovely peeps

'tis me again, and I have been making dinner out of Leanne Browns 'Good & Cheap' PDF booklet again

Tonight's offering was the Corn Soup (sweetcorn) from pg 36 and whilst Leanne has a recipe for jalapeno and cheddar scones (pg 22) which are the perfect accompaniment to this soup, I hadn't an egg and I didn't want to put the oven on. So I made jalapeno and cheese (actually left over cheese from the ^ pasta dish) soda farls on the stove top instead. Basically, I threw a few chopped up jalapenos and a bit of grated cheese into THIS soda farl recipe. Worked

The sweetcorn wasn't the best I had ever tasted, I like chowders, where at least some of the soup is blitzed to make it creamy. If you have a stick blender, you could easily do it with this soup - remove one-third to a half, blitz and then recombine However, as a good sweetcorn soup recipe, this fits the bill - we enjoyed eating it

I do agree that using shucked sweetcorn cobs to make stock is a good idea though. They have a really good flavour - especially if home-grown and just-picked

Greying
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 04-09-2014 at 8:10 PM.

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 5th Sep 14, 8:08 PM
    • 4,633 Posts
    • 52,101 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Ay Up!

So, Friday night is pizza night at Greying Towers, we're trying to follow the lead of Leanne Brown's cookery PDF's and therefore, in her From Scratch volume, I followed the 'Great' pizza dough recipe from pg 44. It is a slow-rise in the fridge dough, so it entailed starting off last night, so some preparation/forethought required. There is also a 'quick' version - I didn't try that.

In the recipe, the flour, at 2 1/4 cups is about 300g, and 3/4 cup of water is about 170g - but I used 1 cup which is about 230g

I made the margherita version of the pizza from pg 50. I used 2 balls of mrAl mozzarella - 44p each? I made some tomato sauce with a little left over passata, a HG red onion (gifted) and some HG garlic (gifted). I had no fresh basil, and couldn't really adapt it into my budget, so I compromised, and made some basil oil, with a little oil and some dried basil. Not the same as fresh basil, but an extra dimension none-the-less. The pizza was accompanied by some potato wedges made from 5 medium potatoes from a 2kg bag of Maris Piper potatoes bought for 49p in HB. Not the tastiest potatoes I have ever tasted, but good enough Picture here;

Would I make the pizza again? I sure would. It was a 'smaller' quantity than I usually make, but an overnight rise seems to have all but equalled the resultant pizza size. The dough base actually had a taste of it's own, rather than just being a carrier (put that down to the slow rise) and actually, I made it with; 1 cup plain flour, 1 cup bread flour and 1/4 cup Wholemeal, completely by fluke - it was late and I couldn't be bothered with rummaging through stores - I used what I had, and it worked
    I do think this meets the brief of 'frugal fare'. I don't think that you would get an 'as nice' pizza from a shop - I really don't.

Another winning dish from Leanne

For info; the pizza yielded 8 slices, in the instructions, the dough is enough to make 3 dough balls - so the base for 3 individual pizzas. Making 1 large pizza yielded sufficient for 2 adults for an evening meal - 1 slice each for lunch tomorrow and 1 slice each frozen for another day.

Greying

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 7th Sep 14, 8:13 PM
    • 4,633 Posts
    • 52,101 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Hello Dear Reader

This evening, our dinner, here at Greying Towers was courtesy of another recipe from Leanne Brown's Good and Cheap PDF recipe booklet.

We went for the Creamy Courgette Fettucine on pg 89 as we had some YS'd green courgettes in addition to a donated HG yellow courgette. Picture here;

I used some tagliatelle from a 69p pack from H0me Bargins in place of the fettucine, I used a couple of scoops of greek yoghurt from a 500g tub (MrAl, 85p) that I had bought for another recipe, I had a blob of butter left over from scone making and I used dried basil, as I didn't have any of the fresh. I used some mrS basiks *hard cheese* in place of the parmesan in the recipe.

All in all a budget dish that packs a Michelin starred punch. Definitely a keeper of a recipe. If you grow courgettes, or are pals with someone that does, you need this recipe

If anyone would like to try out any of Leanne's meat-based recipes and report back here, you are more than welcome. I'm a veggie, so have neglected that side of the recipe index, but it's important that they are given an airing, see if they work.......

Thank you for reading

Greying

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 8th Sep 14, 6:56 PM
    • 4,633 Posts
    • 52,101 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Hello Dear Reader

Tonight I made Leanne's 'Deconstructed Cabbage Rolls' from pg 109 of Good and Cheap Just the sort of grub we like here at Greying Towers I was thrilled, because it used rice - a storecupboard staple; I used up the last cupful of brown lentils - too little for a dish in their own right; a red onion and a tin of tomatoes made a sauce; a few leaves off the YS'd summer cabbage from mrW yesterday were shredded and steamed in the microwave with some ground pepper and caraway (super yum ) and I could use 2 veggie sausages (one each) in a dish without seeming cheap! Picture here;

I should add that I didn't cook it as a casserole as Leanne does - I made it on the stove-top and combined on the plate, which I think is probably more fuel efficient and less time-consuming than putting on the oven.

The only thing that I would do differently is cut up a load more cabbage, it shrunk down more than I anticipated And I would use a little more sauce, or think about dressing (for example) the lentils - the dish could use just a smidge more moisture, but otherwise it's yet another winner from Leanne In the original dish, Leanne uses chorizo - which led me to add paprika into the sauce, but ordinary meaty bangers would work equally well in this dish too I scaled the quantities back, as the recipe serves 6, but I cooked all the lentils, as they were the last I had of that particular bag - so I have a portion of cooked lentils left over and a little of the tomato sauce.

Greying

• XSpender
    • By XSpender 9th Sep 14, 10:51 AM
    • 3,406 Posts
    • 34,882 Thanks
    XSpender
    Hi Greying

I made the white bean and chorizo ragu from Good and Cheap last night.

I used 1x tin of butter beans and 1 x tin of tomatoes, 1 red chilli and half a chorizo (recipe calls for a whole one) and it made enough for 3 portions.

It was tasty but feel it could do with a bit more of a kick. I wouldn't want to add more chorizo due to cost so will add more chilli and paprika next time.

It would work with any white bean and would be very nice with rice. It's a good store cupboard dish.

Cheers

XSpender
    October Grocery Challenge - 122.00/220
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 9th Sep 14, 4:28 PM
    • 4,633 Posts
    • 52,101 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Ay up XSpender

Thanks for sharing your experience That recipe is on my menu-planner for the 29th - I have the 3 for 1 - tins of butter beans from HB in readiness I shall bear your wise words in mind and have a think at how it might be improved whilst I'm making it.

I hear you on the cost of chorizo. I wonder in that case (I will be using veggie sausages) whether there would be any mileage in using paprika (probably a must for me, as my veggie sausages won't have paprika to ooze into the cooking liquor) - but maybe even smoked paprika? Definitely got to be a storecupboard staple, and not something to bump the price sky-high, as that is not the point of the recipes.

Thanks again for your post. Greatly appreciated

Greying

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 11th Sep 14, 8:13 PM
    • 4,633 Posts
    • 52,101 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Hello Dear Reader

Tonight's offering from Leanne Brown's 'Good and Cheap' is French Onion Soup (pg 39). I've never made it before, so I was surprised how tasty it was. I used a mix of red and yellow onions, and used some (cheap) balsamic to deglaze the pan after caramelising the onions, so it was pretty dark in colour because of those 2 things. The cheese topped toasts were just a HM bread roll sliced, toasted and topped with a bit of cheddar from mrL. A nice, simple dish, quick to make and relatively cheap - especially if you grab some of the onions in the Ald* super6 for 39p a kilo

Greying

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

125Posts Today

1,749Users online

Martin's Twitter