Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    ALou19
    Christmas 2014...Savings & Handmade gifts
    • 12th Aug 14, 7:39 PM
    Christmas 2014...Savings & Handmade gifts 12th Aug 14 at 7:39 PM
    Okkkk, so I know there's a million and one posts on here about Christmas savings..but here's another

SO... after going crazy in 2013 and spending FAR too much of which some I'm still stuck paying off, I have certainly learnt my lesson! This year I am cleansing my gift list & only buying for those important people. In addition I am going to try to make some pressies and do a couple of hampers...how these turn out remains to be seen.

Just wondering if people would share some tips for saving and any cute handmade gift ideas?

I have been doing the Nectar Ad Points but have no confidence in things such as swag bucks/online surveys that claim to pay out. Does anyone use these and can recommend...have they actually paid you out? Obviously I wouldn't be expecting mega bucks but every penny counts!

So far my ideas for hampers are all over the place. I plan on making one for my partners grandparents - although this is a challenge in itself. They aren't the type to give a tea set too, they aren't particularly 'old' ...infact I was thinking more of a can of bacardi & coke! yet this is where my imagination stops

For my mums partner and son I am thinking of a movie night or 'boys night' hamper. Also going to make a couple of the 'mistle-toes' packs as stocking fillers and wanting to make my aunt a nice vintage tea cup candle. Then I just come to a brick wall.

Any ideas guys? Sorry for rambling!
Page 1
    • crystal_fire
    • By crystal_fire 12th Aug 14, 10:36 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    crystal_fire
    • 12th Aug 14, 10:36 PM
    • 12th Aug 14, 10:36 PM
    I'm trying to do more hand made than bought this year (I will buy just not as much as I have done in the past) I'm finding home made a bit hard though I just think "no they won't like that" maybe I'm just talking myself out of it! cookies in a jar: no one bakes like that anymore (in my family) so I have flannel reindeer, snowman soup and pots of gold and that's about it nothing grabbing my interest on Pintrest yet either!!!

Re surveys: I signed up to a few of them and they either "didn't apply to me" or they had reached a quota despite the email just being sent!
    If you dance with the devil, the devil don't change. The devil changes you
  • ALou19
    • 13th Aug 14, 10:00 AM
    • 13th Aug 14, 10:00 AM
    Yeah I have the same problem. I don't want to give pointless gifts or something they won't like and making it by hand makes me worry they may look tacky.

I don't have a lot of kids to buy for just the nephew and niece but their probs the hardest as they already have everything! Although I did see the other day some personalised Santa sacks I could attempt. Pinterest is like my best friend at the min - seriously getting addicted! Haha
    • crystal_fire
    • By crystal_fire 13th Aug 14, 8:48 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    crystal_fire
    • 13th Aug 14, 8:48 PM
    • 13th Aug 14, 8:48 PM
    yeah I know what you mean! I had a go at sock monkeys last year they looked awful!
    Flannel reindeers looked cute though( I did one last year as a test run then stored the stuff in the attic until nearer Christmas!!!) and the pots of gold went down well

I have my little boy to buy for he should be easy, everyone else is over 20 you ask for ideas and it's "I don't know" it's like trying to squeeze blood from a stone! I hate giving money too because you always feel it's not enough or a lack of thought!

My brother should be easy he's into cooking and home brew.

Sorry I haven't been any help to this thread really
    • Rummer
    • By Rummer 16th Aug 14, 5:14 PM
    • 6,427 Posts
    • 37,994 Thanks
    Rummer
    • 16th Aug 14, 5:14 PM
    • 16th Aug 14, 5:14 PM
    We now rarely buy people "things" instead we pay for experiences and memories for example we use Groupon and similar discount places to get vouchers for:

Afternoon tea
    Theatre Trips
    Sports experiences
    Days Out

There are some real bargains to be had and it is lovely giving something unusual.
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 18th Aug 14, 5:55 PM
    • 3,195 Posts
    • 42,573 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    • 18th Aug 14, 5:55 PM
    • 18th Aug 14, 5:55 PM
    Hi,

We,re doing a handmade (mostly) christmas this year again.

for the kids (teens) I did this last year - they loved it

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/234398355580849429/

For the grown ups, I made sloe gin, lemoncello, truffles, cakes etc and made up little hampers in various boxes, baskets I bought throughout the year.

Really want to try making some bags this year 'for the ladies' liking the look of these, just need to learn to use my sewing machine

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/234398355580860780/

I,m a pinterest addict, and if I did everything I pinned, i,d be a size 8 amazing cook, with a beautiful house and garden who sucessfully spends her time on various hobbies - errrrm maybe one day
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • mrsd1984
    • By mrsd1984 18th Aug 14, 6:11 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    mrsd1984
    • 18th Aug 14, 6:11 PM
    • 18th Aug 14, 6:11 PM
    I was looking at scrabble frames the other day and they were a bit too expensive for my budget, so am going to attempt to make my own. I craft a little anyway, so have pretty much everything I need to make them.
    SCS Carpets 0% finance: 1331.84 132.90
    SCS Sofa 0% finance: 1732 455
    Barclaycard:4657.57 4657.57
    MBNA Card:4413.45 4413.45
    Total Debt: 12134.86 9658.92
    August Grocery Challenge: 132.92/160
    • Athome1
    • By Athome1 18th Aug 14, 6:31 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    Athome1
    • 18th Aug 14, 6:31 PM
    • 18th Aug 14, 6:31 PM
    I was looking at scrabble frames the other day and they were a bit too expensive for my budget, so am going to attempt to make my own. I craft a little anyway, so have pretty much everything I need to make them.
    Originally posted by mrsd1984

Ooh, what's a scrabble frame please? Is it really scrabble tiles stuck on a picture frame, like it sounds?
    • VintageBelle
    • By VintageBelle 18th Aug 14, 7:48 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    VintageBelle
    • 18th Aug 14, 7:48 PM
    • 18th Aug 14, 7:48 PM
    I always struggle with handmade gifts for blokes, so I'm hoping to do hampers with scratch cards, beer, socks, pants etc. I also want to decorate a wine glass for my dad as he is a wine lover and I've had this etching paste for ages which I've yet to use so this seems like the perfect time.

For my mom I've done a paper cut family tree type thing which I need to frame, but I have no idea what to make my sister.

I love Pinterest and could spend all day on there.
    http://www.pinterest.com/theblackout/homemade-crafts-and-gifts/

With regards to surveys etc, I've had a payout from Global Test Market but I am now struggling with their surveys. I also use Opinion Bar which I like as if you aren't eligible for the survey, as long as you click on it you get 10p, most of my credit is made up of 10p ones.

Also I strongly suggest downloading Qmee. You get money just from clicking on ads relating to your searches. (It explains it better on the site). All you need is Paypal and I don't think it works on a tablet or phone.

• mrsd1984
    • By mrsd1984 19th Aug 14, 6:58 AM
    • 143 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    mrsd1984
    Ooh, what's a scrabble frame please? Is it really scrabble tiles stuck on a picture frame, like it sounds?
    Originally posted by Athome1
    That's basically it! I'm using deep frames. Will put a nice backing paper in the back and then arrange the tiles so they're a bit like a crossword, with everyone's names together (if that makes sense). They're over 20 to buy, I'm thinking I can do them for under 10 each.
    SCS Carpets 0% finance: 1331.84 132.90
    SCS Sofa 0% finance: 1732 455
    Barclaycard:4657.57 4657.57
    MBNA Card:4413.45 4413.45
    Total Debt: 12134.86 9658.92
    August Grocery Challenge: 132.92/160
    • IrishRose12
    • By IrishRose12 19th Aug 14, 11:54 AM
    • 1,560 Posts
    • 7,249 Thanks
    IrishRose12
    With regards to surveys etc, I've had a payout from Global Test Market but I am now struggling with their surveys. I also use Opinion Bar which I like as if you aren't eligible for the survey, as long as you click on it you get 10p, most of my credit is made up of 10p ones.

Also I strongly suggest downloading Qmee. You get money just from clicking on ads relating to your searches. (It explains it better on the site). All you need is Paypal and I don't think it works on a tablet or phone.

Originally posted by VintageBelle
    Thanks Have just signed up for the 2nd two survey sites. Never heard of those before. And what's better they didn't want my address details! I'm very fussy about who I give my address details to.

I'm new to Pintrest and still trying to work it But I'm loving some of the ideas on here. Love the jar idea above with money in the middle.
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2019 #57 1,120/3,500
    1 a day challenge 2019 #2 - 330/ 365

The 365 Day Penny Challenge #2 - 600/650

2019 bag a day declutter challenge - 347/365
    Book challenge 33/20
  • ALou19
    The experience idea sounds good, I have been saving my pg tip cuppa club codes and there's some good deals on there from what I've seen so maybe cash in on that.

The scrabble idea, my sister actually did this not long back. I got her a frame from ikea which I'm sure was only 1 and spent a couple of on scrabble pieces on eBay however I saw some the other day for 3 on lasercutouts.co.uk under the letters section. You should be able to do a few for under 10 I'd think

I've been addicted to Pinterest for a long while now haha my partner has resorted to grunting now as soon as I say 'I was looking on Pinterest right...' Just because he knows the next thing out of my mouth is gonna be another crazy/genius idea I've seen
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 19th Aug 14, 3:35 PM
    • 3,195 Posts
    • 42,573 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Loving the scrabble print idea... Might have to 'borrow' it

How bout this for Dad,s, Grandpas etc

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/234398355581118723/
    • BJV
    • By BJV 19th Aug 14, 3:49 PM
    • 2,253 Posts
    • 3,376 Thanks
    BJV
    I would love to make some of the presents but the problem is that even though in my own mind I am very arty in reality any time I try anything like this they always end up looking like the blue peter cast offs and never like they do in the pictures.

I love hand made gifts, fund funky and much better quality than the rubbish most shops sell around xmas.

Has anyone got any real idiot proof ideas for complete novices?
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!
    • VintageBelle
    • By VintageBelle 19th Aug 14, 4:49 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    VintageBelle
    Thanks Have just signed up for the 2nd two survey sites. Never heard of those before. And what's better they didn't want my address details! I'm very fussy about who I give my address details to.

I'm new to Pintrest and still trying to work it But I'm loving some of the ideas on here. Love the jar idea above with money in the middle.
    Originally posted by IrishRose12
    I agree about the address thing. I like to enter comps but I hate adding personal details as you get spammed so much!

I hope they pay out for you
    • VintageBelle
    • By VintageBelle 19th Aug 14, 4:52 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    VintageBelle

Has anyone got any real idiot proof ideas for complete novices?
    Originally posted by BJV
    I think hampers are a good idea as you don't have to be artistic just imaginative. Especially now as there are all kinds of hamper and bouquet ideas. I get all my ideas for them off Pinterest. This year I'm going to make a beer and scratchcard bouquet/bucket thing for my boyfriend.
    • crystal_fire
    • By crystal_fire 20th Aug 14, 7:44 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    crystal_fire
    I'm going to have a go at a couple of candy trees this year! I need to invest in a glue gun.

I also would like to sew but I don't think I could afford a machine!
  • ALou19
    I'm going to have a go at a couple of candy trees this year! I need to invest in a glue gun.
    Originally posted by crystal_fire
    Oh gosh I tried candy tree's last year! If I had a little more patience they may have worked! I decided to try do a ferreo roche (I can never spell it sorry!) and a flump one. In reflection I should have used a glue gun to stick the Roche tree down, but silly me I tried it with cocktail sticks..NIGHTMARE! Thinking on, my local Hobbycraft had their mini glue guns on offer the other day for approx 5 I believe - may be worth checking out!

The flump one however DID work, again I used cocktail sticks. Just make sure you buy enough sweets..or don't eat them as you go along?!

I got some plain terracotta pots for them really cheap in the B&Q clearance then just got a paint sample to paint them and jazzed them up with some ribbon and of course a big christmassy bow

Another idea I saw on Pinterest the other day was a gorgeous DIY Lace necklace. Unfortunately I cant post links as I'm still too new to this, but if you search it there is many examples. Thinking of making one of these dainty things for my mum just got to tackle the charity shops first for some lace & I already have a box full of clasps, chain and other findings
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 20th Aug 14, 8:01 PM
    • 3,195 Posts
    • 42,573 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Crystal - I fussed over a sewing machine for years - this year I decided I WILL buy one - so I saved 10 a month in a buy to save account, I bought a singer machine from L!ld for 89 and have invested in a wine making kit too as we love our wine just hate paying circa 5 per bottle. I will continue with my 10 a month for my hobby fund, with the hope its an investment - I am currently haunting Utube and Pinterest for beginners sewing machine lessons
    • crystal_fire
    • By crystal_fire 21st Aug 14, 8:43 AM
    • 228 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    crystal_fire
    Ahhh ALou19 thanks for the heads up I was going to use the cocktail stick method but I'll give it a miss, when you glue them on do you keep the little brown ruffle tray on them!? I can't imagine them sticking well I envision a tree with ruffle trays and the chocolates falling off...gravity!
    I'm hoping for a trip to hobby craft soon I'll sign up and get the 5%off voucher. I'll remember it's all for the tree not one for me to scoff, one for the tree

I have a quilling kit I need to carry on with that will keep me busy until a suitable time for candy trees

Islandmaid that sounds like a good plan to put money away for hobbies
    And I never even thought about Lidl I bet Aldi would do them too now I think about it!

Have you started wine making yet? Is it easy enough?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

150Posts Today

1,441Users online

Martin's Twitter