Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bermary
    • By bermary 15th Jul 14, 9:12 AM
    • 279Posts
    • 14Thanks
    bermary
    Secunia
    • 15th Jul 14, 9:12 AM
    Secunia 15th Jul 14 at 9:12 AM
    Got a message from the above saying I have a program that needs updating,Microsoft xml core,services (msxml)4x, I have looked at it and to be honest not got a clue what its on about you have to tick the files you want to update and I've no idea,anybody help me in simple terms please.
Page 1
    • dogmaryxx
    • By dogmaryxx 15th Jul 14, 10:49 AM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 2,582 Thanks
    dogmaryxx
    • 15th Jul 14, 10:49 AM
    • 15th Jul 14, 10:49 AM
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15697

Click Download

Select msxml.msi 2.3 MB for download then open and run.
    • bod1467
    • By bod1467 15th Jul 14, 10:50 AM
    • 14,794 Posts
    • 13,463 Thanks
    bod1467
    • 15th Jul 14, 10:50 AM
    • 15th Jul 14, 10:50 AM
    Do you have Secunia software on your computer?

WHERE are you seeing this?
    • bermary
    • By bermary 15th Jul 14, 11:37 AM
    • 279 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    bermary
    • 15th Jul 14, 11:37 AM
    • 15th Jul 14, 11:37 AM
    bod1467 it was put on the computer for for me,I thought if anything needed updating secunia did it automatically as it notifies you of anything that needs updating.
    • bermary
    • By bermary 15th Jul 14, 5:21 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    bermary
    • 15th Jul 14, 5:21 PM
    • 15th Jul 14, 5:21 PM
    Tried your way dogmary and it is still showing as needing a manual updating in secunia.
    • dogmaryxx
    • By dogmaryxx 15th Jul 14, 5:38 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 2,582 Thanks
    dogmaryxx
    • 15th Jul 14, 5:38 PM
    • 15th Jul 14, 5:38 PM
    Now try doing a normal windows update.
    • bermary
    • By bermary 15th Jul 14, 7:32 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    bermary
    • 15th Jul 14, 7:32 PM
    • 15th Jul 14, 7:32 PM
    Nothing in the windows updates to download
    • Geep
    • By Geep 16th Jul 14, 7:56 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Geep
    • 16th Jul 14, 7:56 AM
    • 16th Jul 14, 7:56 AM
    The Secunia program should be able to tell you the version. In the PSI version 2 at least, you can double-click the name (it will be Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 4.x) and it will show the version, also give a button to click for a manual update.
    It may not be needed, though, if you also have version 6 - that is a more up-to-date one, and v4 could be deleted.
    • bermary
    • By bermary 16th Jul 14, 8:34 AM
    • 279 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    bermary
    • 16th Jul 14, 8:34 AM
    • 16th Jul 14, 8:34 AM
    Geep, it says what needs updating is the one you mention when I click on it to download it gives me four file options to choose from.
    1 msxml6-msi 1.5 mb 2 msxml6 -1a64 msi 3.6mb 3 msxml6 -sdk msi 4.4 mb 4msxml6 x 64 -msi 2.6 mb. I have ticked number 1 and up dated that but it made no difference,sorry for all the trouble I am causing but when i was at school the nearest we got to a computer was a abacus,I am 79 if that can be used as an excuse
    • dogmaryxx
    • By dogmaryxx 16th Jul 14, 9:07 AM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 2,582 Thanks
    dogmaryxx
    If you are still using W7 you need to download and run this update

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=30290

Should put you back on track.

After installation run another windows update check.
    • Geep
    • By Geep 16th Jul 14, 9:19 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Geep
    If you need NET (and that's sometimes not the case) then v4 has been superseded but not deleted from your system, and I suspect that Secunia thinks that may be the problem. "NET Framework 4.5 is an in-place update to .NET Framework 4", so if you can find out whether you have 4.5 on your system, that will be a start. I inadvertantly put v6 instead of v4.5 earlier, BTW.
    If you have any difficulty finding out, then I suggest you download and install the Belarc Advisor program. It will analyse your system and produce a report for you identifying all software and hardware installed.
    For another way of security checking your system, there is a Microsoft checker available, primarily for professional IT people, but I find it useful in some circumstances such as this. Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer, I think the latest is v2.3. If that doesn't identify NET as a problem, you arguably will have two choices - (1) simply delete NET v4 as identified by Secunia, or (2) forget about it.

The update suggested by dogmaryxx is fine, but it dates from 2012 originally, so MS Update should have offered it to you as an auto update way before this.
    • bermary
    • By bermary 16th Jul 14, 12:52 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    bermary
    I have looked on revo uninstaller to see what programs are on there and what it shows is msxml- 4.0 sp2 and msxml-4.0 sp3 parser both of these are on twice,don't ask me why.
    • Geep
    • By Geep 16th Jul 14, 2:01 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Geep
    I suggest your best course is to delete/uninstall all the 4.0 versions, and (if you wish) install fresh version 4.5. That way, you will be up-to-date with minimal possibility of errors. NET is known to cause many difficulties when updating, and sometimes it's best to bite the bullet.

The best tool to use for uninstallation is called Revo uninstaller, since this will remove most of the leftovers from programs, whilst as part of the process will use either the normal Windows uninstaller or that for the program itself. It offers four levels of removal, and I normally use the third level, Moderate. It should find all the various versions, and it will then ask you to confirm deletion. By the nature of NET, there will be many files, so don't be alarmed if you get as many as a couple of hundred!

Even using Revo you may have problems installing NET 4.5, and there is another tool which just may be needed in that case. Hopefully not, but if that is the case, post again.
    • bermary
    • By bermary 16th Jul 14, 2:55 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    bermary
    I think I will leave it as it is,it is getting far too complicated for me and I don't want to do any damage,will it be ok to just ignore the secunia warning, Thankyou to all who have taken the time to help me.
    • Geep
    • By Geep 16th Jul 14, 3:05 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Geep
    It will be OK to ignore if you have auto update enabled for Windows, and that is not telling you there is a problem or some update has not been installed.
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 16th Jul 14, 3:16 PM
    • 5,429 Posts
    • 3,217 Thanks
    John Gray
    I think you'll find this is a false positive from Secunia.
    Just ignore the Secunia message.
    • Mercenary
    • By Mercenary 16th Jul 14, 7:01 PM
    • 613 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    Mercenary
    I had this flagged repeatedly some time ago and tried to download from Microsoft, install etc. I had to do a System Restore afterwards as my PC was flaky following the attempted 'update' (which didn't work anyway).
    After doing a lot of Googling I just set Secunia to ignore it.
  • Wammer
    Click on the Further Information or whatever it is called in Secunia. I had this more than a year ago and found a solution that way, but I haven't used Secunia for a while.
    • alanwsg
    • By alanwsg 17th Jul 14, 7:44 AM
    • 542 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    alanwsg
    There's several long threads on the Secunia forums about this, E.g. ...

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/15049/update_msxml_4
    http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/15050/microsoft_core_xml_services_msxml_4_x

Consensus seems to be,
    -- there's NO security threat.
    -- the message is valid as MS has declared V4 "End-of-life"
    -- You shouldn't install the suggested updates as they don't remove the old version and may cause problems.
    -- You shouldn't un-install V4 as it may break some programs.
    -- Just set Secunia to ignore MSXML V4
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

252Posts Today

2,480Users online

Martin's Twitter