Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    beatt
    British Passport Services scam
    • 5th Jul 14, 12:36 PM
    British Passport Services scam 5th Jul 14 at 12:36 PM
    Hi,

I was looking at getting my daughter a passport and noticed on the governments website you can do it with a fast track 1- week. I typed in fast track 1- week into Google and came across a site called 'ukpassportoffices.co.uk'- bare in mind I know very little about passport stuff, having only used mine once on 30 years. I filled in a form on the Sunday night at 9.00pm. I then received an email to say they would contact me for payment in the morning. I got a call at 9.00am and they said I need to pay 117, I did not realise it would cost that much, and said to the lady on the phone I would like to cancel straight away- I thought this would be ok because no work could have possibly been done through the night. The lady on the phone said 'ok I will send you a cancellation email'. I did not receive a cancellation email but an email 1hour 30mins later stating my appointment with the passport office had been booked. This company went ahead and booked my appointment hours after I said I would like it cancelled. On the email it stated I could cancel the appointment over phone and type in my order number. I then received an email stating all the work had been carried out and I owe then 117. They have also sent me a letter demanding the money or further action will be taken. There is basically no way of cancelling your order with these people even if it's impossible for them to have done any work
    Thanks
Page 5
  • esmerellda

• esmerellda
    Oops they are a bit large, sorry.
    • fermi
    • By fermi 11th Jun 15, 11:56 AM
    • 39,669 Posts
    • 47,650 Thanks
    fermi
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
    • fermi
    • By fermi 14th Jun 15, 8:04 AM
    • 39,669 Posts
    • 47,650 Thanks
    fermi
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-3122764/Judges-turn-passport-profiteer-court-throws-claim-copycat-website-owner-against-unhappy-customer.html

The man behind a controversial passport website who routinely uses the courts to chase customers disputing his bills is discovering that his bullying tactics are not impressing some judges.

Earlier this month, a county court judge in Barnsley, South Yorkshire, threw out a claim for 197.60 made against an unhappy user of the British Passport Services website by owner Richard Howard.

But more significantly, the judge also accepted a counter claim made by user Ethan Wainwright, who said British Passport Services, operated by Howard’s firm UK Services & Support Limited, had harassed him for payment relating to a service he did not agree to.

Triumph: A county court judge in Barnsley accepted a counter claim made by user Ethan Wainwright, who said British Passport Services had harassed him for payment relating to a service he did not agree to

The judge awarded the 18-year-old student 1,500 in a move that could trigger similar actions from other unhappy customers.

It also raises the pressure on Howard, who in the past two months has seen many of his claims dismissed. On Wednesday, a county court judge in Reading threw out a 202.60 claim against 44-year-old business analyst Dominic Ogden, awarding him costs of 90.

Continued....
    The Mail on Sunday understands that Trading Standards is showing a keen interest in Howard’s business activities.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

• esmerellda
    On the subject of copy cat websites -- > http://www.tradingstandardsecrime.org.uk/copycat-website-warning-following-further-arrests/
    • fermi
    • By fermi 28th Jun 15, 6:58 AM
    • 39,669 Posts
    • 47,650 Thanks
    fermi
    Richard Howard arrested and offices raided by trading standards ecrime

JEFF PRESTRIDGE: Investigation over past four months leads to passport boss's appointment...with the police
    Last edited by fermi; 28-06-2015 at 8:47 AM.

• N9eav
    • By N9eav 28th Jun 15, 7:04 AM
    • 4,676 Posts
    • 26,423 Thanks
    N9eav
    There are similar sites for driving licences ESTA and all sorts and easy to accidentally fall in to.

By the way: I renewed my passports last week. Sent everything off in the Saturday morning post. New passports arrived on the Thursday after. No fast track needed.
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
    • fermi
    • By fermi 29th Jun 15, 1:00 PM
    • 39,669 Posts
    • 47,650 Thanks
    fermi
    BBC You and Yours discussing the arrests with trading standards ecrime.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06084kg

Listen from 33 mins

• giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 29th Jun 15, 5:05 PM
    • 2,772 Posts
    • 2,407 Thanks
    giraffe69
    I can't understand why those who choose to renew a passport online get done by these sites. If you use an adblocker then you don't get the dodgy sites showing. I use Adblock and Chrome and all the results on Page 1 are for gov.uk sites. That doesn't mean they should get away with their sneaky practices but it isn't hard to get some ptorection at least and its free!
    • hpuse
    • By hpuse 2nd Jul 15, 11:47 AM
    • 1,087 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    hpuse
    If these sites are not there - then 1 job less for adblock ... I think that is what the government and law enforcement is trying to do...

I can't understand why those who choose to renew a passport online get done by these sites. If you use an adblocker then you don't get the dodgy sites showing. I use Adblock and Chrome and all the results on Page 1 are for gov.uk sites. That doesn't mean they should get away with their sneaky practices but it isn't hard to get some ptorection at least and its free!
    Originally posted by giraffe69
    • hpuse
    • By hpuse 2nd Jul 15, 3:13 PM
    • 1,087 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    hpuse
    https://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2015/7/UK-Services-and-Support-Ltd/SHP_ADJ_273276.aspx#.VZPcUSzbI5s

Mr Howard did try......but,
    • fermi
    • By fermi 7th Jul 15, 11:24 AM
    • 39,669 Posts
    • 47,650 Thanks
    fermi
    BPS / Richard Howard loses in court again

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/showthread.php?58752-UK-Services-amp-Support-Ltd-BRITISHPassportServices-Copycat-Website-issues-DISCUSSION&p=558127#post558127

'No legal contract formed.'

• hpuse
    • By hpuse 7th Jul 15, 11:56 PM
    • 1,087 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    hpuse
    'No legal contract formed.'
    Exactly!
    Fermi, if you had followed these threads from last year Jan 2014 - there were lot of people who said agreeing to terms and conditions is like signing up to lose money to copycats.
    At least no legal contract formed is a ruling that seals my strategy of postings here....at least to make them (allegiance and 'customer' servicers) shut up. well they are already shut up from the last 4 months HA HA HA ...
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th Jul 15, 7:39 AM
    • 23,671 Posts
    • 63,850 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Exactly!
    Fermi, if you had followed these threads from last year Jan 2014 - there were lot of people who said agreeing to terms and conditions is like signing up to lose money to copycats.
    At least no legal contract formed is a ruling that seals my strategy of postings here....at least to make them (allegiance and 'customer' servicers) shut up. well they are already shut up from the last 4 months HA HA HA ...
    Originally posted by hpuse
    hpuse
    you may wish to read fermi's comment from another similar thread:
    This thread is really about a specific site/company and what they are doing.

I appreciate the issues and opinions expressed on other threads about others sites, but I would also appreciate it if people could restrain themselves and not let that spill over into arguments that are not really relevant to this one or point scoring as other threads are closed.
    Originally posted by fermi
    I have therefore refrained from commenting on the links provided by fermi as they are clearly for information only.

Maybe you should do the same instead of trying to restart an inflamatory discussion from a now closed thread.
    • hpuse
    • By hpuse 8th Jul 15, 1:47 PM
    • 1,087 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    hpuse
    hpuse

Maybe you should do the same instead of trying to restart an inflamatory discussion from a now closed thread.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    There is nothing more to comment or discuss.
    Copycats are getting closed down and when their last ray of hope (i.e Richard howard) would soon be sent to jail?

Who wins? ....customers!
    • hpuse
    • By hpuse 14th Jul 15, 8:55 AM
    • 1,087 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    hpuse
    NTS chairman Lord Toby Harris said: "The people behind this website have cynically manipulated the way consumers use the internet to mislead them into thinking that they are using an official government service.
    https://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/website-warning-after-five-arrested-11363988987097
  • esmerellda
    Just to update... there have now been 12 hearings of claims bought by the owners of the BritishPassportServices website in the small claims court. All 12 were won by consumers, 10 were awarded costs, 1 was awarded damages of 1500, and 1 forgot to ask for costs.... but none of those who have defended the claim and gone through to the court hearing have had to pay BPS a penny.

There are another 15 cases listed to be heard over the next month or so.

BPS brought around 800 claims against consumers since November.
    Trading Standards are still investigating.
    The website continues to operate.

We need the government to take action to regulate (or prevent) third parties charging fees for government services.
  • esmerellda
    17 - 0 to consumers now
    • fermi
    • By fermi 24th Sep 15, 6:49 AM
    • 39,669 Posts
    • 47,650 Thanks
    fermi
    To be shown this morning

Thurs 24th Sept - Rip Off Britain - BBC1 9:15am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06dww6c

Angela Rippon, Gloria Hunniford and Julia Somerville uncover a new twist to the problems hundreds of viewers have had with passport websites that aren't what they seem. Refuse to pay the charges of one of them, and you could end up in court.
    I believe including this case.

http://workingwithdevs.com/my-glorious-day-in-court-with-passport-profiteer-richard-howard-from-copycat-website-british-passport-services/

• draph91
    • By draph91 24th Sep 15, 8:51 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    draph91
    hi I blocked the website with an application on chrome, I then clicked on it to see if it was working, they won't contact me, will they?, I did not enter ANY details AND I blocked the website before I clicked the link, heard about it on Ripoff Britain
    Last edited by draph91; 24-09-2015 at 9:03 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,275Posts Today

7,680Users online

Martin's Twitter