Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • natsplatnat
    • By natsplatnat 4th Jul 14, 10:31 AM
    • 2,888Posts
    • 2,624Thanks
    natsplatnat
    My Diary v3.0
    • 4th Jul 14, 10:31 AM
    My Diary v3.0 4th Jul 14 at 10:31 AM
    Hi All!!

Well, here it is... "My Diary v3.0"

My previous diaries (don't panic, there are only 2!) can be found here....

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1303349&highlight=

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2961314

Today, my signature looks like this...

LBM ,- Wed 19th Nov 2008 19,225
    JAN 11: ONLY 170 0X 100 PAYMENTS TO GO *bank of OH @ 0%*
    *A WORK IN PROGRESS!*
    *2014 cashback pending 78.98, PAID 138.35*
    (2011=137.30, 12=66.39. 13=102.61)
    Iceland fund 458.12/ 1000 EBAY 205.50

And I should be jumping up and down with joy as it shows that I have made my last payment of 170 x 100 to my darling OH (he lent me the money interest free to clear my debts!!).

But.... actually, that should be But (coz its a big but) here I am starting a new diary on the DFW diary forum.

And that is because over the duration of my last diary (starting November 2011) I have re-borrowed 6862.26 from my darling OH! To be honest, he is sooo useless with money, that I could tell him tonight that I made my last payment to him today and he wouldn't have a clue whether that was right or not! (But he does know I have re-borrowed this amount.)

But that is not an option. Bless him, he even said a few months ago that I don't need to pay him back any more. But, this is my debt, I spent the money, and I will repay it... in full!

So, I am going to continue doing what I have been doing. Repaying 100 a week for the next 69 weeks. By my reckoning that puts my last (and I do mean last) payment as the 30th October 2015!!! GULP!

I do have a little plan though (from my previous diaries, you will note that I like a plan!). I am currently setting aside money for a trip to Iceland next year for OH's 50th birthday. 10 a week as a definite, an extra 10 a month from the reduction in my car insurance premium, all cashback earned and some account rounding-down. Target for this is 1000 by December. I am pretty much on track for this.

So, once this is done I am going to keep setting this money aside to bring my debt-free date forward. Minimum 10 a week, starting next year!

Oh, and I still running several spreadsheets! I honestly could not live without them!

So, there is my sin confessed - you have got me for a bit longer!

Feel free to pop in and keep me company! Nats x
    Last edited by natsplatnat; 02-10-2015 at 9:28 AM.
    LBM ,- Wed 19th Nov 2008 21,225 PAID OFF
    *DEBT FREE 28th September 2015*

Page 35
    • natsplatnat
    • By natsplatnat 31st Jul 18, 11:25 AM
    • 2,888 Posts
    • 2,624 Thanks
    natsplatnat
    Just converted some clubcard points to cover the train fare this weekend. Leaves a small balance of 2.30 to pay but that's a lot better than 65.80!! Tried doing this at home last night but the PC was not playing ball.

In the interest of 'small jobs' I put all the clean clothes away and put another load in the machine last night! I am hoping OH or DSS has managed to hang it out this morning!
    Tonights 'small job' will be putting todays clean washing away and another load on.... I am going to sort 1 x drawer in the bedroom too.

• natsplatnat
    • By natsplatnat 1st Aug 18, 9:29 AM
    • 2,888 Posts
    • 2,624 Thanks
    natsplatnat
    Ok, so the clean washing is folded and in the basket waiting to be put away - OH wanted to go out for a walk as it was a nice evening... so the drawer didn't get sorted either! I can pop the washing away tonight (as it won't take two minutes) when I get in from circuits/spin. More washing will go on tonight too!

Had a brief look at the CC last night! GULP! Will save that pleasure for tomorrow evening!

Must chase my house-sitting money too!!

• efes shareholder
    • By efes shareholder 1st Aug 18, 9:35 AM
    • 397 Posts
    • 1,049 Thanks
    efes shareholder
    I hate the job of putting the washing away !
    • kdalwayskint
    • By kdalwayskint 1st Aug 18, 12:51 PM
    • 583 Posts
    • 1,702 Thanks
    kdalwayskint
    I hate doing socks!
    There's always an odd one

I've got exciting news, I'm going to update my Wedding 2019 thread
    Saving for Christmas 2018 ~ 287.46/365
    Wedding Fund 1500/1500
    Car Fund 108.60/5000 ~ Bank of Mum 5000/5000 done
    DFW Nerd #1155
    LBM 25/2/09 Debt at highest 8,037.35 now 0
    Credit Card 2000/2500
    • natsplatnat
    • By natsplatnat 7th Aug 18, 10:48 AM
    • 2,888 Posts
    • 2,624 Thanks
    natsplatnat
    ha ha!

I have 'rules' for the washing! Socks get hung on the line in pairs, so that when they come in they are already together. I have an 'odd sock' basket in the airing cupboard. All odds go in there and eventually they (usually) find their pair! All washing gets folded as it comes off the line - that way when I get it upstairs all I need to do is sort into piles, put mine & OH away and deposit DSS's in his room.
    OH has a lovely habit of when he does it, he puts his away..... and leaves mine as "he's not sure where it goes"!! Bless him!

KD - EXCITING NEWS!!!

Ok, what's new from me?.....
    August.
    OH needs 2 x tyres! Done + had to pay for 1 tyre I had a few months back.... total 510.00
    Daytrip to London - will use Clubcard points to cover the train so will just be some spends + food. Train cost 2.30 in proper money. Lunch was 48!! + around another 20 in drinks (it was hot and we drank everything we took!)
    Possible trip to visit family in Plymouth - this may well replace our 'weekend away' plans as time and money are restrictive! Looks like this will move into September and get tagged onto trip abroad (don't ask).
    40th birthday meal to attend - need card and present.
    1 other birthday - need card and present. Groupon'd the present + cashback due. Need to pick a card up on my way home tonight. OH dropping me to restaurant later, so just meal (fixed food cost of 10.95 + drinks) and taxi home required.
    2 x car insurances due - will look at single and combined policies as it does seem to vary year on year as to which one is the best value. Due 21st and 22nd August, so have a bit of time!
    Man is coming to take down a large bush / tree in our front garden. The landlord is paying for this but there will be some spends required to make the front garden look half decent! Still waiting!!

Still haven't sorted the CC!! Must do that tonight or tomorrow and line up payment before due date.

I ache today - went to a new class last night called "SHRED". Great class but I am paying for it now and I reckon tomorrow will be worse! lol

And that's me up to date!

xxx

• natsplatnat
    • By natsplatnat 8th Aug 18, 11:39 AM
    • 2,888 Posts
    • 2,624 Thanks
    natsplatnat
    40th birthday meal to attend - need card and present.
    1 other birthday - need card and present. Groupon'd the present + cashback due. Need to pick a card up on my way home tonight. OH dropping me to restaurant later, so just meal (fixed food cost of 10.95 + drinks) and taxi home required.So, this was last night. Food cost 15.00 as we all chipped in a couple of quid for the birthday girl. OH dropped me off, taxi home 10.00

• natsplatnat
    • By natsplatnat 10th Aug 18, 9:54 AM
    • 2,888 Posts
    • 2,624 Thanks
    natsplatnat
    Morning All!

Significantly cooler here today.... and wet too!

CC paid this morning - officially, properly skint (skinter than I have been for months) until OH's portion arrives in my account!!

The balance for the next CC bill is already higher than I would like as it has the 3 new tyres on it! *boo* But, it will be better than this one!!

Apparently the bush in the front garden could be gone next week.... I'm not holding my breathe though!

Oh, house-sitting money has been paid (just as well as I needed it for the CC temporarily!!)

Have a great weekend everyone - I am hoping the rain disappears as I want to make a start on getting rid of one shed and moving the other in order to get ready for a new (large) one! Such fun on my weekend off work! lol xxx

• efes shareholder
    • By efes shareholder 10th Aug 18, 10:09 AM
    • 397 Posts
    • 1,049 Thanks
    efes shareholder
    Bring back the sunshine , I have been enjoying being spoilt by its rays
    • kdalwayskint
    • By kdalwayskint 10th Aug 18, 9:48 PM
    • 583 Posts
    • 1,702 Thanks
    kdalwayskint
    Much cooler here too, we got caught out by the rain!
    Wedding Fund 1500/1500
    DFW Nerd #1155
    Credit Card 2000/2500
    • natsplatnat
    • By natsplatnat 13th Aug 18, 10:23 AM
    • 2,888 Posts
    • 2,624 Thanks
    natsplatnat
    Happy Monday morning All!

Back at work after a weekend that was a good mix of relaxation (and fun) and being productive.

Saturday was moving an outside store from position B to C and sorting through its contents. One trip to the tip later and the store is actually accessible with items one side to keep and the other to boot fair. Next step in this process is to sort the main shed and move from position A to position B. This leaves position A free to prep for the new shed. (it's all in the planning!)

Sat night we went bowling and then for dinner - a voucher saved us 33% off our food bill!

Slept in REALLY late yesterday so pottered indoors - put ALL the washing away, cleared through 3 drawers and got rid of loads of rogue pieces of clothing / underwear. OH made a start on the main shed.... and put it all back in (albeit in a more orderly fashion). Then whilst OH cooked a delicious roast (joint of beef found when I de-frosted the freezer 2 weeks ago) I ironed most of our shirts for work for the week, plus trousers and shorts. Feeling rather organised and domesticated... for a change!! lol

Looking at using some 'savings' to buy some Turkish Lira. We plan on returning to Turkey again in the future and the exchange rate is just phenomenal at the moment... up around 2TL to the pound from a month ago (and at its highest ever). Need to watch carefully and be ready to buy before it comes down again. Will have to set up a plan to re-pay the money used! Unfortunately my dad didn't move to Turkey or I would be super happy - if we go and see him it will be Euros.... boo!

So... this week....
    Exercise class tonight - Insurance hunting tomorrow - Circuits Weds. Thursday should be completing Insurances and then Friday I think a rest evening is in order - with the exception of some pottering indoors.

Wishing you all a lovely week - fingers crossed the sun comes back soon! xxx

• natsplatnat
    • By natsplatnat 14th Aug 18, 12:08 PM
    • 2,888 Posts
    • 2,624 Thanks
    natsplatnat
    Friend couldn't make class last night so took the opportunity to bail and make a start on the car insurances. Well, I would have made more of a start if OH hadn't run some stoopid clean up program that meant the PC wouldn't start. Eventually OH managed to get it going and it seems to be fine! Initial thoughts were that (for a change) the renewals were actually the best value. However, logging onto to Q.co this morning I can see that one of the providers I was looking at is offering an enhanced cashback of 100; so will probably swap OH's over to that; tonights job as planned!

You do have to be careful though - using Q.co comparison a company came out really cheap (too cheap) upon reading the table of cover correctly, it was that cheap as they had put his excess (voluntary and compulsory) at... wait for it... 9,499!!! WOW! Needless to say I won't be choosing that company. I'm actually really careful with insurances because should I need them I want them to pay out!
    Just withdrawn 8.64 from Q.co. YAY! That will go into the surplus / holiday fund.
    Money from OH has arrived and has been moved around to replenish the accounts I robbed to pay the CC! YAY Don't feel totally penniless anymore.

Thursday evening will be spent doing the house contents insurance (we rent so no buildings cover to worry about). Oh the joys!!

• natsplatnat
    • By natsplatnat 15th Aug 18, 10:53 AM
    • 2,888 Posts
    • 2,624 Thanks
    natsplatnat
    Ahhhh - I hate sorting insurances...just filling out the same details over and over and over again (for those not on comparison sites and then checking those that are)!!

The upshot is I think OH will go for his renewal (which is even cheaper with a couple of tiny tweaks) with no cashback and I will change provider (because I am not with who I thought) and although around 25 more expensive than my renewal there is currently 100 cashback up for grabs! Not back as long as it tracks and pays out!

Feel like all I've done this month is pay out money! Oh well! I suppose it is like that some months.

• natsplatnat
    • By natsplatnat 16th Aug 18, 10:04 AM
    • 2,888 Posts
    • 2,624 Thanks
    natsplatnat
    Grrrrr!
    Ok, so today is already ....

The car insurance cash back offer that had 4 days validity has been withdrawn early - just gonna suck that one up. I was going to buy it last night but got in late from circuits and by the time I showered and ate I just didn't have the energy. Lesson learned there! The new value is 60, so still not too bad but 100 would obviously have been better!

Secondly, I have been thinking about my workplace pension thing and thought I would check what I pay monthly with a view of increasing my contributions (I am very aware I need to play catch up with regards to my pension). So I looked at my last payslip... and the amounts deducted from my monthly salary just don't seem right!
    There is a compulsory contribution (increased from 1 to 3% in April), then my voluntary contribution and then the employer contribution. Out of the 3 figures, only my voluntary deduction is the correct amount!!! There is NO logical reason for this, so our FD and MD are now investigating. On top of that I have looked back through to Dec 2017 (when our payslips became electronic) and the figures have never been right! I have one physical payslip on me (always carry one in my diary for some reason) from May 2017 and that is about right (although still not exactly what I would have thought but we are talking pence rather than pounds... or even 10's from my most recent payslip). I can't believe the figures are wrong .... and I also can't believe that I haven't noticed before!! I also wonder if it is just me or other employees too?

What's the 3rd thing of the day is going to be... can't wait!

• natsplatnat
    • By natsplatnat 16th Aug 18, 12:42 PM
    • 2,888 Posts
    • 2,624 Thanks
    natsplatnat
    Panic over!!

I wouldn't say I was being a right numpty.... but not far from it! Pension contributions all explained and I am happy with their response! Phew!

Was going to start a LISA - but crunching the figures, I think I would be better adding the potential funds for that into my workplace pension.... will do some more figures and decide over the next few days!

• kdalwayskint
    • By kdalwayskint 16th Aug 18, 8:26 PM
    • 583 Posts
    • 1,702 Thanks
    kdalwayskint
    Phew indeed! We had some issues with ours when they first set them up a couple of years ago, I check mine a little more than I used to! I'm going to add extra to mine as well, just need to work out how much.
    Wedding Fund 1500/1500
    DFW Nerd #1155
    Credit Card 2000/2500
    • kdalwayskint
    • By kdalwayskint 19th Aug 18, 9:40 PM
    • 583 Posts
    • 1,702 Thanks
    kdalwayskint
    How was your weekend Nats?

We have done some weddingy bits.

We've also had a bit of a clear out, we've got new windows being put in tomorrow, we've moved furniture and cleared the windows. Not looking forward to it!

I've sorted through a lot of sewing magazines and I've been listing them and sold a few already. Got a few books that I don't want but I don't know if charity shops are taking books here, if not I'll try to put them on the free sites around here.

Catch you soon Nats x
    Wedding Fund 1500/1500
    DFW Nerd #1155
    Credit Card 2000/2500
    • natsplatnat
    • By natsplatnat 20th Aug 18, 11:11 AM
    • 2,888 Posts
    • 2,624 Thanks
    natsplatnat
    Hi KD!!

Weekend was good thank you - yours sounds great (apart from the headache!), your wedding bits are definitely coming along!!

I was at work Sat, then popped to my mums (they were out); went home, got changed and went to our friends, then out for a few beers or ciders in my case!

Yesterday was a bit of a lazy day, but did manage to make it to the new N3xt store that has opened around 10 miles away and bought a pair of skinny black jeans and a shirt. Good job I had vouchers (which is why I went).. 75!!! For 2 items!! Really not a fan of the store generally, but needed smarter bits.

Did some food shopping on the way home from there, then pottered, ate dinner, watched TV and headed back to bed!

Been mulling over the pension / LISA options - Think I will increase my pension contribution....next year. Want to make sure all my 'pots' are in tip top order first (they may have taken a bit of a hit with holiday etc! eek). Was talking the options over with OH at the weekend and he was "oh, don't stress about it too much; there'll be some inheritance; you have to live - can't leave yourself short now just so you are rich later!" Love him - I doubt I will be 'rich' in my retirement, but I would definitely like to be comfortable! Oh, and not have to rely on anyone else financially.

Ah, I also decided that as my mobile contract is up I am going to go sim only next month. Nothing wrong with my phone and I can get more data, minutes etc for around half the cost of my current plan. That should be 10 a month / 120 a year saved! I think OH will go sim only too. That should save him around 30 a month / 360 a year!

Right, need to do some work! Eyes down! x

• kdalwayskint
    • By kdalwayskint 20th Aug 18, 2:11 PM
    • 583 Posts
    • 1,702 Thanks
    kdalwayskint
    I don't like the new window in the front room

I had a sim only deal last year, my phone was fine but towards the end it was starting to show it's age, I'd had it for 3 years and it was getting slower and slower, also some apps began to not be supported or available to my phone. Definitely worth it to save money though.

I'm going to get myself sorted financially before I add extra to my pension fund, I'm planning on getting rid of my credit card before we get married and then I'll be saving for my next car too, thinking that will be a purchase in a couple of years.
    Wedding Fund 1500/1500
    DFW Nerd #1155
    Credit Card 2000/2500
    • natsplatnat
    • By natsplatnat 20th Aug 18, 4:21 PM
    • 2,888 Posts
    • 2,624 Thanks
    natsplatnat
    I don't like the new window in the front room
    Originally posted by kdalwayskint

Oh! Why not? I'm just thinking a window is a window! ?

Good point about mobiles getting old - think we should get 1 year out of each of our existing! Hopefully then we can either buy a new one each, or if packages have reduced go back on contract!

• kdalwayskint
    • By kdalwayskint 21st Aug 18, 10:10 PM
    • 583 Posts
    • 1,702 Thanks
    kdalwayskint
    Ah so annoying, I just typed a post and accidentally closed the page and lost it

We're council tennants so we didn't get a say in what the new windows would be like, we expected like for like, but the front room and 3 x bedroom windows have changed style. That's not the worst bit, the installation is awful, H2B has taken loads of photos and emailed the window company and the council. We're waiting to hear back from them now.

I've sold a few of my sewing magazines and with the money I have bought some new makeup, primarily for the wedding, I love No 7 and used the link in the mse email today, buying mascara and eye liner to get a free makeup pallet (it's got everything else for a full face of makeup) and a No 7 nail strengthener I used a code and got 5 off when you buy 3 No 7 products! Decided to have it delivered, total paid by me, 1.08

With regards to mobile phone, that's exactly what I've done

Take care Nats, catch you soon x
    Wedding Fund 1500/1500
    DFW Nerd #1155
    Credit Card 2000/2500
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,565Posts Today

6,599Users online

Martin's Twitter