Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    CN123
    Harringtons Advisory???
    • 29th Jun 14, 3:00 PM
    Harringtons Advisory??? 29th Jun 14 at 3:00 PM
    Hi, I've been contacted by a company called Harringtons Advisory based in Bury, who tell me that I am on their list of people who are owed PPI. I have no idea what loan/credit card this may relate to so it's not something I can claim back myself as I wouldn't know where to start.

So, at the moment I don't think I'm owed anything so I'm thinking that even though they will take 39%, I will still be better off than I am now if I sign these forms...yes?

They have advised that all I have to do is sign the forms and return and they will do all the rest...I've heard of people using companies like this and then being then told that the lenders want you to go in to a branch and sign papers etc and it's a nightmare. Is it worth getting involved? Am I actually owed money just because I'm on their list?

Advice gratefully received!
    Thanks!
Page 7
    • By 730 13th Dec 17, 4:36 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Advice needed please
    Hi am looking for some help Re Harringtonís.
    they contacted me saying I have ppi I was bankrupt so I donít think I am. So filled forms in sent them back few months later they contacted me saying I am due 900£ off nationwide. Well the money never came nationwide kept it as I owed them money when I went bankrupt so I contacted Harringtonís asking to stop all other clams as I donít want all this dragged up again the guy in the phone said no problem can you put it in writing so I did. Good few weeks latter they called me Again saying Halifax are ready to make a payment and why have I cancelled my clame I explained my bankruptcy to the guy on the phone please donít pursue the claim. So few weeks ago they call again asking for there Money I said I asked you not to carry on and so on and I will not be cashing the check as I donít want all the past brought up. So today again they rang asking for there £1500 and threatening me with court action I told the chap on the phone that I Guster not to be pursue the clame all of a sudden they say now they havenít received my letter and they have no recordings of my phone calls with them stating to cancel the clame under threatening me with the bailiffs. Help anyone thanks
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 13th Dec 17, 8:14 PM
    • 92,222 Posts
    • 59,404 Thanks
    dunstonh
    they contacted me saying I have ppi I was bankrupt so I don!!!8217;t think I am.
    They wont know if you have PPI or not as it is not in the public domain.

The fact you went bankrupt means that you have no right of refund on any PPI that was sold prior to bankruptcy. The minute CMCs find our you were made bankrupt, they should stop the process.

few months later they contacted me saying I am due 900£ off nationwide. Well the money never came nationwide kept it as I owed them money when I went bankrup
    Which was always going to happen.

So today again they rang asking for there £1500 and threatening me with court action I told the chap on the phone that I Guster not to be pursue the clame all of a sudden they say now they haven!!!8217;t received my letter and they have no recordings of my phone calls with them stating to cancel the clame under threatening me with the bailiffs.
    The claims company has acted outside of the regulators guidelines. Not a surprise with this one as they have an awful reputation.

You need to make a formal complaint to them stating that they should not have signed up for their services as they were aware that you had been made bankrupt. Tell them that you feel they missold their services and as you have never received any money, they are not entitled to a cut of it. If their response is not satisfactory, you can refer it to the legal ombudsman.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • brettcta
    • By brettcta 2nd Jan 18, 1:05 PM
    • 3,528 Posts
    • 3,313 Thanks
    brettcta
    just to try and bookend this thread, Harringtons Advisory have now had their license to trade cancelled by the Ministry of Justice.

https://www.claimsregulation.gov.uk/details.aspx/29496/Harringtons_Advisory_Limited/?search=simple&business=Harringtons&authID=&sector =-1&county=-1&status=-1
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
    • MadKen
    • By MadKen 3rd Jan 18, 5:06 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MadKen
    Harringtons still accepting new PPI claims!
    Just rang Harringtons today and they say they are still taking on new claims even though their authorisation has been cancelled! This company is just outrageous. I'll try again on Friday and let you know.
    • brettcta
    • By brettcta 9th Jan 18, 2:21 AM
    • 3,528 Posts
    • 3,313 Thanks
    brettcta
    If theyíre still trading, contact the ministry of justice ASAP.

No bank or business should deal with them as they would/should check their authorisation status before dealing with them
    helpful tips
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
    • ramblingdan
    • By ramblingdan 9th Jan 18, 1:06 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ramblingdan
    advise please
    Hi all
    just a quick bit of advise if possible.

friend of mine has been dealing with professional reclaim services.
    Long story short.
    She asked them to look in to PPI for her except the bank she was already dealing with.
    PRS contacted the bank she told them not to deal with (and also didn't sign to say they could deal with it).
    the bank have paid out for the credit card she had with them (not the bank account) and now PRS are claiming that they want the commission.
    We have asked for proof that we asked them to deal with it and they can't provide it (as they don't have it) but are now suggesting bailiffs and CCJ to reclaim the money.
    We have always answered the calls to them and asked them for the proof we have asked them to deal with it on every call and asked for a manager to speak to about it as well but never get anywhere.
    We have said we will pay if they can provide us with the signed documents and or call transcripts to say they were authorised to do it.

we have already complained in writing to them but no response and are now getting daily calls and texts treating debt collectors for the sum of £88.42 and daily charges will be incurred as well.

What are peoples opinions on this?
    • brettcta
    • By brettcta 9th Jan 18, 3:59 PM
    • 3,528 Posts
    • 3,313 Thanks
    brettcta
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5253955

post in the 'ask the ombudsman' thread at the top of the PPI forum
    helpful tips
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    • Nigelr65
    • By Nigelr65 27th Jan 18, 12:36 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nigelr65
    What do I do
    I got a letter from Harringtons two months ago saying that I would be getting a settlement from RBS re a credit card from NAt West because of Previn, I did a few years ago unfortunately get Harringtons to act for me, I then got a letter from RBS saying they would only deal with me and not Harringtons. Today I got a cheque through for £205 as Harringtons are supposed to have stopped trading although it didn't stop them sending me a letter in Nov 17, do I need to legally contact them to pay them or not please can someone help/advise
    • brettcta
    • By brettcta 30th Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    • 3,528 Posts
    • 3,313 Thanks
    brettcta
    nigelr65, no you don't need to - see the information i've linked to below

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-compensation-for-injury-or-financial-loss#if-your-cmc-is-no-longer-authorised
    helpful tips
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    • Nigelr65
    • By Nigelr65 5th Feb 18, 2:39 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nigelr65
    Thanks for that, as of yet I have not tried to contact them, I am just concerned they will find out and still demand their share of my cheque as the letter they sent in Nov 17 stated I would hear soon from NAt West re a claim that had been upheld so expect payment
    • nurseylaura
    • By nurseylaura 9th Feb 18, 4:12 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nurseylaura
    Hi, I signed up with Harringtons for PPI refund which I explained to them I had already done all the leg work and received all monies due but they persisted that they had other monies owed to me. I signed the paperwork and to date have never received a penny. Now I have been approached by a few companies saying they owe me for commission they charged me when I took out my PPI. I contacted Harringtons by phone and told them I was going to claim back my commission myself and they would not need to do any work with this. As I feel the commission for sale of ppi is seperate to claiming back the payments for ppi am I correct in thinking I would not have to notify Harringtons if I managed to get any money back? The girl I spoke to at Harringtons said that was fine but if I wasnt successful in claiming back this commission I couldnt go back to them and get them to try and claim it. I told her I wanted to close my account and to date havent heard from them. Just a little worried they may come back to me in the future for their share.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

9Posts Today

3,353Users online

Martin's Twitter