Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • <sebb>
    • By <sebb> 11th Jun 14, 2:04 PM
    • 420Posts
    • 585Thanks
    <sebb>
    Bifolds
    • 11th Jun 14, 2:04 PM
    Bifolds 11th Jun 14 at 2:04 PM
    Just had a quote for Aluminium bi-fold doors. 5 doors, total width 4.2M. The manufacturer of the doors is Schuco I believe.

7,150 including VAT (with an extra 15% on top if I want them in any colour other than white).

Its a bit higher than I was expecting (particularly the colour supplement as I do want them in grey). Waiting for another quote but that seems to be taking an age to come through.

Oh and I'm in London, so I expect that adds a bit to the fitting cost.
    Last edited by <sebb>; 11-06-2014 at 2:09 PM.
Page 4
    • anna1963
    • By anna1963 23rd May 16, 3:46 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    anna1963
    I have a problem with Solarlux. They installed the doors 9 years ago but the hinge pins were working their way out by 2011. I asked for their advice and they promptly sent out an engineer to tap them back in. However, one of them worked its way up again and caused the hinge to break. Solarlux's response is that the doors are out of warranty (5 years only) and we will need to pay for the repair. "As with any bifolding door system the SL60 requires annual minor maintenance these include to ensure the bottom track is clean of any debris, hinge pins are fully inserted and all moving parts are lubricated with a silicone base lubricate (not WD40)". I still have all the original paperwork; no where does it mention silicone base lubricate. The tracks are clean. And we have no idea when the hinge pin started coming out again - or why. Not all that impressed. No where in the manual does it talk about checking on hinge pins or how to get them back in if they start to move.
    • Julie Wood
    • By Julie Wood 30th Mar 17, 7:06 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Julie Wood
    Sliding glass doors query
    We have recently had sliding glass doors fitted to our extension and have had a series of problems from two of the doors being bowed to puddles of water on the floor. Can anyone tell me if it is normal for doors to become bowed or not be noticed by the fitters?
    • Furts
    • By Furts 30th Mar 17, 7:39 PM
    • 4,450 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Furts
    We have recently had sliding glass doors fitted to our extension and have had a series of problems from two of the doors being bowed to puddles of water on the floor. Can anyone tell me if it is normal for doors to become bowed or not be noticed by the fitters?
    Originally posted by Julie Wood
    It is not normal for doors to be bowed. The type of door, and what the frame is made of will have a bearing on this, likewise what you specified and paid for in terms of quality.

It was probably noticed by the fitters - many do not care less and hope to get away with as much as they can. If they did not spot the bowing then that is worse, because it shows an even more half hearted approach!
    • nick4692
    • By nick4692 6th Apr 17, 8:49 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    nick4692
    Hi Julie, no it is not normal for the doors to be bowed and nor is water ingress of the type you describe.

Assuming you've purchased the doors with any kind of warranty, please get the installation company back to check them out, to confirm that they bowed and see why there is water.

Were these installed by your builder or a bifolding door supplier/installer?

Nick
    A lifetime of double glazing and trying to improve the image of it.
    • DonnySaver
    • By DonnySaver 30th Aug 17, 4:27 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    DonnySaver
    Can anybody recommend a reputable manufacturer/installer of bi-folds in the South Yorkshire area please?
    • Eve77
    • By Eve77 30th Apr 18, 12:57 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Eve77
    Some years ago (2014) on this thread different well-known suppliers of bi-folds were compared in terms of price/warranty/quality/esthetics (or some of these).
    We have had a quote form Kloeber to fit one pair of French doors and a bifold with three panes in aluminium. Quote is for 7,700 plus VAT (9.25K all in). Does this seem reasonable? The doors will be custom-made as not standard sizes. Approx sizes: Frech doors: H:2100 x W1220 Bi fold H2100 x W1780. They say we need to get in a builder to remove a strip of the existing plaster all-round, so the new doors will sit further in than our existing wooden doors. The price does not include removing old doors from the site or making good the plaster inside. Does this seem reasonable / usual practice? We haven't asked for other quotes, partly because we like the Kloeber doors, partly because the Kloeber price quoted has been revised (upwards) three times since the first quote. Some or all of this is legitimate as we have moved to narrow frames and bespoke sizing, and we've settled on the bifold for the wider opening. But I realise a bit late that there are lots of other companies selling bi-fold doors (though maybe not with a French door option as well?) I'd just appreciate a word or two of advice from people with direct experience/more experience. Many thanks. I'm not even sure whether posting a reply to a thread that started in 2014 is the way to ask my question.
    • Eve77
    • By Eve77 30th Apr 18, 12:58 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Eve77
    Is Nick4692 active and willing to comment? Would much appreciate your thoughts.
    • nick4692
    • By nick4692 30th Apr 18, 2:17 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    nick4692
    Hello and yes very much active. Will try to be fair and objective on this one.

Prices for home improvement products vary substantially as many factors are relevant, for example, does your supplier buy-in or manufacture, what is their buying power from their supply chain, profit margins and so forth.

As a rough guide, bifolding doors in the marketplace today have a price of about 1200 to 1400 per panel supplied and fitted. So that should give you some idea of the cost of the bifolds - but you are perfectly within your rights to ask for the price to be broken down for you.

That said if you're happy with the price, the product and have confidence in the company supplying it then you should be ok - Kloeber is a very good firm indeed. I am fairly certain they use the Schuco system, therefore, their products are not exclusive to them you could if you wanted to look for alternative suppliers of the same Schuco door. I believe the Schuco model they use is the !!! 70 FD and their pictures on their site certainly appear to show a Schuco product as it has quite distinctive door handles and door catch to hold the folded panels back.

The fact that your doors are custom made I hope is not reflected in the price as virutally all windows and doors are made to measure. There are suppliers that supply stock size bifolding doors but these are for those homeowners that are working to agreed sizes with their builder and to speed up the lead times.

Im not sure of Kloebers terms and conditions but it is very normal for the installation company to be removing the old doors and taking them away and preparing the opening for the new ones. Most will make good the inside as well. Are these new doors to replace your existing ones or a new extension.

You do have a lot of choice in bifolding doors and I can tell you that virtually all of them offer a French door option as well. It sounds from your email that you are being charged for bespoke sizes and this does not seem right to me - as I say all products are made to measure.

There is no bad door or window on the market but where they differ is who makes them, the overall supply chain and the quality of the installation. All the current systems should be designed to meet or exceed industry standards for weather performance and security, as well as the quality of aluminium and quality of paint finish. Where they can also differ is in their aesthetics, overall sightlines, engineering, the quality of the hardware/components, the choices available and their brand perception.

Any correctly made and installed door should give you reliable service long term. And Schuco doors are one of the most prestigious brands.

Hope this helps, please don!!!8217;t hesitate to get in touch if you!!!8217;ve any questions or need further information.!
    Kind regards
    Nick!
    • king132
    • By king132 30th Apr 18, 4:32 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    king132
    Nick,

Been reading your comments on this thread with interest, hope you can help. I'm looking at some bi-folds roughly 4m by 2m.

Had a few local guys pop round with some Smart System was quoted 600 per pane, plus 600 with fitting. Total 3k which seemed good value. A bit too cheap maybe?

They also quoted 900 per pane for Schucho with same cost for fitting

A friend of a friend works as an installer for Panoramic Windows UK and recomended having a look at thier product? The promo stuff looks impressive. 4.5k is what they are asking?

In terms of the size of bifold and a pretty much max budget of 4.5k, what would be my best option? Are there other bifold designs which would be better bang for buck?
    • nick4692
    • By nick4692 1st May 18, 9:55 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    nick4692
    Help with your bifolding doors.
    Hello. Smart Systems are the biggest aluminium systems company in the UK and their products are widely used in residential and commercial projects. I think the prices you've been quoted are pretty bang on for the price of this bifold. Correctly made and fitted it will give you reliable service. They're good doors.

Schuco is regarded as one of the best brands in the UK alongside Reynaers, Air doors, Centor, Sunflex and Sunfold and there's a piece about brands, who makes the 'best' etc.

https://www.aluminiumtradesupply.co.uk/10441/best-bi-folding-doors/

Compared to smarts, Schuco is slimmer, better engineered, more premium hardware and components. very good handles, locking systems and the door catch at the top is about the best in the business. Very much a typical German Engineered product.

The Panoramic doors are indeed good door but work on the slide and fold principle where each door panel is independent rather than being connected to the panel next to it with hinges. Arguably these doors are much more flexible because you can create a partially open arrangement and even if they open inwards don't take up the space that a conventional bifolding door does.

Each panel opens independently meaning they can be left in the partial opening position giving excellent airflow into a room. All you need to do is slide each panel to anywhere along the frame and track and leave the door panel in that position. You can create as much or as little ventilation as you like depending on the outside temperature or how much airflow you want to let into your room.

The downside is more 'operations' to get the doors fully open but other than that, no real drawbacks.

The choice of bifold gets quite hard nowadays because all bifolds are good! I read a lot of the negative reviews on bifolds and the overall experience and it's clear from the majority of these that they are manufacturing and installation issues rather than poorly designed products. They all have good security ratings, good weather performance, quality components and are designed to be reliable.

I always say to people to go with the door they like the look of, that feels good to use and of course the company they feel comfortable doing business with.

At that kind of price range, it's worth looking at Origin Doors, Alumina doors are really good too. Finally, I'd get you to check out Alufold Bifolding Doors by a company called Aluhaus in Nottingham (working nationwide). What they've done is taken a Warmcore product and extensively re-engineered it to have features few bifolds have at a very good price point. It's got welded panels, a mitred, not square outer frame, offers the same high spec Hafi door handles found on Origin doors, has the Schuco door catch, full colour matched gaskets and seals and very good U-Values. The door panels also go up to 1250mm

It's not the slimmest bifold you can buy but as far as quality and engineering behind it go, it's up there with the very top brands. It's a very good product indeed in a relatively staid and mature bifolding door market.

Hope this helps, please dont hesiitate to get in touch if you've any more questions or need further information.
    Kind regards
    Nick
    Last edited by nick4692; 01-05-2018 at 9:58 AM.
    • ytfcmad
    • By ytfcmad 1st May 18, 11:02 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    ytfcmad
    Nick, are Smarts still the biggest?
    • nick4692
    • By nick4692 10th May 18, 7:23 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    nick4692
    Hi, Yes as far as I'm aware, Smarts still the biggest systems company closely followed by AluK
    • William81
    • By William81 30th Jul 18, 10:51 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    William81
    Hi there, anyone had any experience with the Dutemann FD85 bifolds? I really like the look especially the slimline profiles. Have also been looking at the SUNFLEX bifolds but lead times are 12-14 weeks from our local supplier!

Any advice gratefully received.
    • nick4692
    • By nick4692 1st Aug 18, 7:36 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    nick4692
    Hello there. The FD85 is an excellent new bifolding door from a very good manufacturer. It is slim, has great capability for large door sizes and very secure.

Dutemann is also one of the premier Schuco manufacturers as well. I know the company quite well and sure you will get a great product and service.

The Aluminium Trade Supply website has reviewed the product if you would like to find out more.

Hope this helps,
    Kind regards
    Nick!
    • William81
    • By William81 3rd Aug 18, 8:53 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    William81
    Great Nick. Many thanks.
    • jimmyboy420
    • By jimmyboy420 7th Aug 18, 2:45 AM
    • 992 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    jimmyboy420
    Hi Nick,

Thanks for your advice in this thread.

I've had a few quotes for origin doors - how do they stack up in terms of thinness of aluminium and general quality? I'm looking at a 4.7m wide 4 door bifolds.

The other company I've been considering is express bifolds, but I can't figure out whose product they supply or if it actually is their own?

Thanks,

James
    3.924kWp (12X327Wp SunPower). SolarEdge SE3500 inverter.
    Surrey/SE. 30 degree roof pitch, chimney shading from mid afternoon.
    • nick4692
    • By nick4692 7th Aug 18, 3:48 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    nick4692
    Hi Jimmy
    Origin are great doors and for many, the fact that only Origin makes them and the 20-year guarantee is a big selling point. The premium Hafi handles they do are excellent as well.

Origin doors are not the thinnest, i did a piece a while back comparing the mullion sightlines of all major bifolding door brands so you can see how they compare. But to be fair to all 'thick' doors over a typical door aperture size it really doesn't make a huge amount of difference. However, there are thinner doors out there if that is what you're looking for.

https://www.aluminiumtradesupply.co.uk/23542/who-makes-the-slimmest-bifolding-doors/

Express also very good firm. Their products are Smart Systems Visofold and Schuco ASS70FD, to the best of my knowledge it is not their system.
    Last edited by nick4692; 07-08-2018 at 3:50 PM. Reason: Typing mistake
    • jimmyboy420
    • By jimmyboy420 7th Aug 18, 4:32 PM
    • 992 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    jimmyboy420
    Thanks Nick,

I think it's coming down to Smarts (from someone else, not express bifolds, who are very expensive), origin, and possibly everglade air 800 but I'm waiting for the local supplier to call me back about the Airs.

I'm keen to get smaller sightlines if possible than origin offer, but I take on board your advice from the website about other things being more important. Having said that - we're going for a 4 door with no traffic door. What is the origin floating mullion? That, along with the relatively large sightlines seems they may find to have an impact on the aesthetic of the door.
    3.924kWp (12X327Wp SunPower). SolarEdge SE3500 inverter.
    Surrey/SE. 30 degree roof pitch, chimney shading from mid afternoon.
    • nick4692
    • By nick4692 7th Aug 18, 6:06 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    nick4692
    Yes, you need to be careful with the floating mullion. Two, four and six panel bifolding doors all folding in one direction with some systems (Origin being one) rely on a floating mullion. This is an additional aluminium section on the locking side of the door. It can make the doors appear bulky on the leading edge (making the doors look unequal) so worth bearing this in mind.

Obviously, if you change the door configuration, for example three panels all in one direction and have one as a traffic door, you can do away with the floating mullion. Or perhaps have the bifolds like a set of french doors with the two middle opening and two folding on each side?

Where are you based? Drop me a message or via the contact form on our website and happy to put you in touch with local installers for comparable prices?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

166Posts Today

1,401Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Lovely package on #newsnight just now about Brexit hitchhiking, livened up what has been not the most exciting show.

• Is this is a serious tweet or a joke? Why did I mention he was a cyclist - because he was a cyclist. Eh? https://t.co/F1SP7UJZkH

• How awful Mark. This is why those people who take risks on the road, have to realise while they think they're gamb? https://t.co/berU23vQOU

• Follow Martin