Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 10th Jul 07, 11:50 AM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    0 WOW
    Great "Best Generic Products" Hunt
    • 10th Jul 07, 11:50 AM
    0 WOW
    Great "Best Generic Products" Hunt 10th Jul 07 at 11:50 AM
    Generic products are much cheaper than expensive brand names, so I want to tap MoneySavers’ knowledge to find which own-brand goods are the best.

Which cola tastes as good as Coke, which bog roll is softer than Andrex and which biscuits are yummier than Jaffa cakes?

Please put your recommendations for the best own brand/value products than are much cheaper than the real thing.

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 10-07-2007 at 7:46 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
  • neiljc
    • 10th Jul 07, 1:18 PM
    • 10th Jul 07, 1:18 PM
    okay then to start it off

Asda`s brand of diet cola tastes as good as Diet Coca Cola if not better.

My favourite sweet is Marathon(Snickers-go back to America) and Asda and Tescos versions are just as nice and half the price.

Neil
    • pulliptears
    • By pulliptears 10th Jul 07, 1:32 PM
    • 13,585 Posts
    • 23,091 Thanks
    pulliptears
    • 10th Jul 07, 1:32 PM
    • 10th Jul 07, 1:32 PM
    Lidl's Iron Brew is identical, if not nicer than Barr's Irn Bru, and only 29p a bottle
    "Gggggrrrrrr Rrrraaaahhh Rrrrrrggghhhhnn" - Chewbacca (The Empire Strikes Back)

• LOOYATES
    • 10th Jul 07, 9:39 PM
    Ice Cream Anyone?
    • 10th Jul 07, 9:39 PM
    HI A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO I WORKED IN AN ICE CREAM FACTORY, ALL THE CHOC ICES WE MADE SUPPLIED MOST OF THE TOP SUPERMARKETS, CHEAP PRICED AND NOT SO CHEAP WERE ALL MADE ON THE SAME LINE, SAME WITH MAGNUMS ETC AND STORES OWN BRAND, BOTH THE SAME, JUST PACKAGED, DIFFERENTLY, HAD TO LEAVE THOUGH, WAS GETTING FAR TOO FAT EATING STAFF SALES TO FIT INTO MY LOVELY BOILERSUIT AND WELLIES, RESEMBLED AN OOMPA LOOMPAH!
    Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 16-07-2007 at 5:49 PM.
    pats
  • Chris_Preston
    • 10th Jul 07, 10:28 PM
    • 10th Jul 07, 10:28 PM
    I used to drink Gaymer's Olde English Strong Dry Cider. Then they increased the price and decreased the strength in one fell swoop.

I looked for an alternative and I reckon Asda's Premium Strong Dry Cider is actually Strongbow. Same strength (5.3%), same colour and for me, same taste. Yet Strongbow sells for as much as 3.99 for 2 litres (Co-op) with Asda's own being just 2.42 for 3 litres. At just over 80p per litre, it's almost as cheap as apple juice. Cheers!
  • strawberrymuesli
    • 10th Jul 07, 10:55 PM
    • 10th Jul 07, 10:55 PM
    I like Asda's own brand 'Shades' loo roll. I used to use Andrex and I find the Asda stuff is stronger, but just as soft, while being a fraction of the price! It usually works out cheapest in the 24 pack, although there are often '% extra free' offers too.
    strawberrymuesli
    • zcaprd7
    • By zcaprd7 10th Jul 07, 11:54 PM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    zcaprd7
    • 10th Jul 07, 11:54 PM
    Tesco Value toliet roll
    • 10th Jul 07, 11:54 PM
    Tesco value toilet roll, I'm sure this stuff has got better?

And, at 10p a roll when you get a 12 pack its a big money saver - everyone "doubles up" anyway!
  • laura1976
    • 11th Jul 07, 12:43 AM
    • 11th Jul 07, 12:43 AM
    Sainsburys stain remover is great, the one that's in a tub like vanish oxy. Don't like own brand washing up liquid though, never found anything nearly as good as fairy.
    • adewton
    • By adewton 11th Jul 07, 1:04 AM
    • 87 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    adewton
    • 11th Jul 07, 1:04 AM
    • 11th Jul 07, 1:04 AM
    Tesco value toilet roll, I'm sure this stuff has got better?
    !
    And, at 10p a roll when you get a 12 pack its a big money saver - everyone "doubles up" anyway!
    Originally posted by zcaprd7
    I concur!

!
    .wysiwyg !! background-attachment: scroll; background-repeat: repeat; background-position: 0% 0%; background-color: #ffffff; background-image: none; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal } p !! margin: 0px; }
    DON'T STEAL!!! Government HATES competition! Pay your tax and make voluntary contributions to the government!
    • Danni
    • By Danni 11th Jul 07, 1:53 AM
    • 353 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    Danni
    Asda's Smartprice Cookies are the nicest I've ever tasted, and at 29p a pack are a good price, too
    • Slickman
    • By Slickman 11th Jul 07, 5:42 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Slickman
    At larger Tesco stores you can buy 'Own Brand' Diet Cola with Almond, which to me tastes identical to Dr Pepper!

It only costs about 43p for 2 litres.
  • bigbadbiker
    coffee and whiskey
    I've found Sainsbury's Basics ground coffee is very good. A dark roast style for 79p! Only drink instant under duress and am fussy about that, too.

Their own brand Irish Whiskey is as good as Jamesons, I think.
  • cjalynch
    tesco loo cleaner
    I've tried all the limescale removers and cleaners and this one does the job the best. It is the one in the dark blue container and at around 80p a go beats toilets ducks and the like hands down!
    • Sherratthead
    • By Sherratthead 11th Jul 07, 9:17 AM
    • 190 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    Sherratthead
    Tescos smart price Loo roll
    I agree about the Tescos Loo Roll.... At 40p for 4 rolls, it's great value and - whilst not being 'ultra soft' and 'perfumed' or whatever the selling points of the high-priced ones are - it certainly does the job....

(I find that the 'super soft' ones seem to be really too 'slimy' for my liking!)

Jayne xxxxx
    Dogs have owners, CATS have STAFF...
  • Steve-182
    Wilkinsons own brand mens roll-on deodorant - 49p. I swear you can't tell the difference to that and the Lynx range which is FAR more expensive.
    "Excellent !!"
  • woohoo_postingid
    Tesco Value Chocolate Digestives

OK, they are smaller and the covering of chocolate is thinner but they are a helluva lot cheaper and they taste great
    • Ishtar
    • By Ishtar 11th Jul 07, 9:25 AM
    • 1,040 Posts
    • 11,328 Thanks
    Ishtar
    Tesco value ginger nuts are really nice, far better than McVities, and only 25p a packet.
    D.
  • Tindella
    Have to recommend Aldi's Chocolate Digestive Biscuits - Plain and Milk - 49p a pack - may be dearer than "value" stuff but they are excellent!
    • gizzie121
    • By gizzie121 11th Jul 07, 9:42 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    gizzie121
    Any brand cheap flour
    I've used Sainsbury's cheap and Tesco's cheap flour, and once your cake or waffles are made up, you really can't taste the difference at all.

Although, I do prefer to spend a few pennies more and get the Lidl flour. It is as good in texture as the expensive premium brands.

I just dont get to Lidl all that often.

Also, Lidl orange juice is just the nicest. I hate value ones in Tesco and Sainsbury's, but for 1.5lt at 80p, Lidl orange juice is the best.

Lidl ham - less than 1.50 and tastier than any deli ham.

Lidl chocolate - srummy

Just just just go to Lidl! lol
    • Uniscots97
    • By Uniscots97 11th Jul 07, 9:55 AM
    • 6,423 Posts
    • 23,806 Thanks
    Uniscots97
    Asda smart price and Tesco value jaffa cakes are made in same factory on same line as Burton's, Sainsbury's and M&S jaffa cakes.
    CC2 = 8687.86 (10000 )CC1 = 0 (9983 ); Reusing shopping bags savings =5.80 vs spent 1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,578Posts Today

8,648Users online

Martin's Twitter