Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 2nd May 14, 3:58 PM
    • 11,124Posts
    • 59,725Thanks
    edinburgher
    Only freedom will do
    • 2nd May 14, 3:58 PM
    Only freedom will do 2nd May 14 at 3:58 PM
    It has come to my attention that I have been here for a very long time

I joined these forums in a dim and distant past, where money was my enemy and the weight of my student debts left me crushed and panicked, unable to picture a future where I would be able to get a debit card (never mind a mortgage).

5 years later and the milestones of marriage, first home and first car have come and gone. Throughout it all, I have had a creeping feeling that something wasnít quite right. I donít get the world of work, and while Iíve never been unemployed in my adult life, Iíve tried too hard to try my hand at too many things and Iím left feeling like Iím an actor who recognises the play, but does not understand his motivation.

As some of you will know, I have experienced some real heartache of late. Your messages of support and hope have been so touching and in many cases, I have got more comfort from anonymous individuals who took the time to get in touch than people I know in the Ďrealí world.

While money would have done nothing to prevent it, the luxury of savings and our hard work over the years meant that we were in a position to make the right decisions and take our time with our next steps. Returning to work has been a real blow and without sounding even more melodramatic, I donít think Iíd realised just how damaging I find the merry-go-round of rote work, office politics and bureaucracy.

It wonít do, I canít believe that this is as good as it gets and to quote one of my favourite singers ĎWe can always build a world better than thisí.

From this point on, I plan to dedicate myself to achieving financial independence. Not MFW, but freedom from all the nonsense that we go through to just to pay for a pile of bricks and a few years of leisure at the end of our span.

Hopefully you can join me for the journey
Page 254
    • A Frayed Knot
    • By A Frayed Knot 27th Oct 16, 9:09 PM
    • 2,372 Posts
    • 10,575 Thanks
    A Frayed Knot
    I'm sure you will catch them in time, but if not, they may just carry a few spare rolls in the back of their van.

I can recommend either Cloud 9 or Dreamwalk.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage balance and one day it will all be 0's
    Target 19 months 5/24
    MFMarch 30 Re/M Oct 23 Target -Dec 19
    O/P's 2014/£4000, 2015/£6294.69, 2016/£3186.80, 2017 £4068.97

• Brodiebobs
    • By Brodiebobs 27th Oct 16, 10:15 PM
    • 771 Posts
    • 3,288 Thanks
    Brodiebobs
    I can empathise on the house, we had rose tinted glasses when we bought our money pit, almost 4 years on we're still plodding on and its a way of finished.

Not one job has been easy every seemingly simple job reveals numerous problems and extra costs, the previous owners lived here since 1942 and self built the extension so you can imagine some of the things we've found.

Its stressful, and pushes us to the edge but we will have a house we would have never have been able to afforded 'finished', have built alot of equity, & started to be more self sufficient (have a bit of land) all of which will will help us in the future.

long story short every couple of weeks i'll have a melt down and want to sell it but then little things remind me why we fell in love with it and what it means for our family. Cant see the wood for the tree's!

Just keep going...
    Addicted to MSE.
    Overpaying mortgage for a better debt free life!
    • wantabetterlife
    • By wantabetterlife 27th Oct 16, 10:55 PM
    • 1,228 Posts
    • 5,543 Thanks
    wantabetterlife
    They will definitely have underlay in the back of the van so don't panic.
    Mortgage £177,750£163660.57
    Overpayments 2016 £2053.58 2017 #26 £3417.70 2018 £2097.03
    Daily interest £19.91 £15.28 £9.99
    BUY TO LET MORTGAGE £111408 £109975 £104241
    6.01% paid
    Saving £2520
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 28th Oct 16, 8:47 AM
    • 3,591 Posts
    • 30,128 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Hi Ed. Go steady it will come together.

Totally with you on confrontation with Workmen!
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 28th Oct 16, 8:49 AM
    • 2,990 Posts
    • 21,290 Thanks
    Watty1
    Look at it as a masterclass in how not to do things! Having renovated three, I totally know where you are - but - it does come together in the end.
    Mortgage at start of diary Sept 2013: £132,995 Aug 2015 £0
    Overpaid next mortgage. £79,491 down to £27152
    Changing focus for now
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 28th Oct 16, 12:26 PM
    • 11,124 Posts
    • 59,725 Thanks
    edinburgher
    I resolved it. Me, incredible Hulk style annoyance, crowbar

Carpet fitters are here. One of them is very rude, must be pals with the fence guy.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 28th Oct 16, 12:59 PM
    • 29,216 Posts
    • 166,945 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Good for you, Ed! That whole thing of one job needing four other jobs to be done before it is such a pain, isn't it, and discovering item after item as you have with the flooring is

Carpet, though! Carpet
    Save
    Retired August 2016
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 28th Oct 16, 3:03 PM
    • 11,124 Posts
    • 59,725 Thanks
    edinburgher
    It is soft and smooshy. Off to make carpet angels.
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 28th Oct 16, 6:52 PM
    • 1,983 Posts
    • 36,751 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Heavenly. In one house I lived in, the previous owner had saved money like yours had - instead of putting a rug over the laminate, he only laminated the edges of the room and the rug was just lying in a dip on top of concrete. Enjoy the new carpet. X
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 28th Oct 16, 7:45 PM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 22,394 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Yey to carpet, and I am so pleased you're starting to feel proud of the progress - you should be!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Dec 13 - £116,508 Bought Dream House Dec 14 - £94, 402 (£22,106 offset in 2014) Jan 16 - £67, 852 (£26,550 offset in 2015) Dec 16 - £33,529 ( £34,323offset in 2016)
    Jan 17 - £39, 773 (Re-estimation of endowments )
    Sept 17 £22,619 Jan 18 - £11,687 Mar 18 -£8524
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 28th Oct 16, 8:57 PM
    • 11,124 Posts
    • 59,725 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Heavenly. In one house I lived in, the previous owner had saved money like yours had - instead of putting a rug over the laminate, he only laminated the edges of the room and the rug was just lying in a dip on top of concrete. Enjoy the new carpet. X
    Originally posted by Secret Saving Squirrel
    There's nothing new under the sun, eh?

DD has only just gone to sleep, I have basically been doing something or sleeping since 08:30 yesterday. I am a little grumpy with Mrs E, who decided that she absolutely couldn't miss after work drinks, despite the fact that we have a pile of carpet packaging a metre high outside the house, underlay rotting on the back patio, floors covered in new carpet fluff, couches in the kitchen and hall, no food, clean dishes or space to even sit down.

I find it a little hard to take the 'I never get to do anything' comments when my solo days out in the last 17 months have consisted of a trip to the Chinese supermarket and one night at the pub with my siblings
    • stepuptothepl8
    • By stepuptothepl8 29th Oct 16, 2:01 PM
    • 869 Posts
    • 4,331 Thanks
    stepuptothepl8
    Mrs E, who decided that she absolutely couldn't miss after work drinks, despite the fact that we have a pile of carpet packaging a metre high outside the house, underlay rotting on the back patio, floors covered in new carpet fluff, couches in the kitchen and hall, no food, clean dishes or space to even sit down.
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    But surely that is exactly why she decided she couldn't miss drinks? enough to drive anyone to drink.. [delurking .. Love reading about your progress, and I'll slink away quietly again now]
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £16208 to go
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#503
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 29th Oct 16, 2:07 PM
    • 11,124 Posts
    • 59,725 Thanks
    edinburgher
    But surely that is exactly why she decided she couldn't miss drinks? enough to drive anyone to drink.. [delurking .. Love reading about your progress, and I'll slink away quietly again now]
    Originally posted by stepuptothepl8
    Well, I would never have left her to fend for herself in the same circumstances. I've explained that I was annoyed, the tidying is done (nearly).
    • stepuptothepl8
    • By stepuptothepl8 29th Oct 16, 3:57 PM
    • 869 Posts
    • 4,331 Thanks
    stepuptothepl8
    I didn't mean any offence. Glad the new carpet is in
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £16208 to go
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#503
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 30th Oct 16, 6:15 PM
    • 1,983 Posts
    • 36,751 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Hope this week goes better xxx
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 1st Nov 16, 9:35 AM
    • 11,124 Posts
    • 59,725 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Hope this week goes better xxx
    Originally posted by Secret Saving Squirrel
    Thanks Squirrel,

The week already goes better in that there's very little that I can do in the house! We're getting the doors trimmed at some point as our new carpets are very deep pile, but other than that I'm getting a chance to relax (which is lovely). Mrs E away this weekend, so I'll enjoy it while I can! DD on good form, she only has 4 molars to go and they shouldn't show up for 6 months yet

There has been a wee bit of movement in finance land as a lot of things have come to an end/shifted/needed tweaked.
    • T5B regular savers are dead. We have transferred the £6,000 we had stashed and £160 or so of interest into the linked current accounts for the short term, we paid some bills as well)
    • £2,000+ of credit card bills left me weeping into my tea. Quite annoyed after I paid the full balance of c. £1,400 on one card, only for them to take an additional payment of £700+ via Direct Debit. No idea what happened there...
    • £3,000+ of contractor bills in quick succession
    • I have decided that I will no longer invest in bonds via my ISA and SIPP. Looking at my finances as a whole, my small DB pension essentially acts as £50,000 worth of 'bonds'/guaranteed income. In NW terms, this means that something like 40% of our NW is bond-like. This means that our previous 80/20 asset allocation was more like 50/50 in real terms, so too low risk. Everything has been transferred into VLS100 for the short term, the ISA will probably be switched into VLS80 in a few years
    • Added a few small P2P loans into the mix (secured property)
    • Crappy P2P platform money will no longer be tied up in a fortnight, time to bail out (not R@teSetter or Z0pa)
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 1st Nov 16, 5:06 PM
    • 11,124 Posts
    • 59,725 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Think I just saved £100 from Virgin over the course of the next year, but you never can tell whether or not they will apply the discounts correctly!

Guess I'll just see on the next bill...
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 1st Nov 16, 6:16 PM
    • 1,983 Posts
    • 36,751 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Well done. I try to haggle with Virgin intermittently. We pay £43 per month for a basic TV package, no films, sport etc, a landline that we never use and an excellent broadband. They tell me that if I dump the landline and the Tv, the broadband will still be £30. Have you managed to do better?
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 1st Nov 16, 8:06 PM
    • 11,124 Posts
    • 59,725 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Well, it worked out as c. 21% discount vs. what we would have paid without the haggle, but I didn't feel like I achieved much. I think we're paying what you are, but with one tier more of TV channels and a £20 'goodwill credit' off the top. Small beer really, as the guy from the call centre tried very sniffily to point out ("I can apply the line rental saver, but it'll only save you a fiver"). Well, it's not your fiver matey
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 2nd Nov 16, 8:39 AM
    • 11,124 Posts
    • 59,725 Thanks
    edinburgher
    • Couldn't help myself, a wee £4.76 OP made to bring the mortgage balance down to a round fiver figure
    • ISA bonds sold, reinvested in VLS100, a few hundred £ topped up in lieu of direct debit payments until March (cancelled the DD for a bit more control)
    • Referred one MSE user to R@tesetter and one to Z0pa
    • Bought a £25 chunk of a P2P loan
    • DD is currently mad about sharing - imaginary cups of tea, feeding her toy dog etc. I ordered a lovely little Schleich? toy set with a few farmyard animals and bowls and feed for them. A little bit dear for what it is, but I will break it up into 3 little gifts for her stocking. Her main prezzies are a toy kitchen, a Christmas frock and some money for her ISA

Any ideas for a 1.5 year olds stocking? She's an 'old' 1.5 year old, definitely more at the toddler stage than the baby stage I'd say
    Last edited by edinburgher; 02-11-2016 at 9:00 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

944Posts Today

6,103Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin